Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122035 times)

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #495 on: December 12, 2009, 02:31:46 pm »

He probably wanted plant cloth instead of silk cloth. No material hate about it.

Edit: Curse you, ninjas.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:33:32 pm by Sysice »
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 12, 2009, 02:37:28 pm »

It was a secretive mood I think, so he didn't state the specific type of cloth.

TheStanman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 12, 2009, 02:45:07 pm »

Construction of Morallantern, the soon-to-be capital city of this world's civilization of Dwarfs, is well underway. Built entirely above ground, it will feature 9 compartments, each with its own defensive wall, traps, and towers. The city features entertainment in many fashions, including a massive stadium for arena bouts, market square, and deep underground labyrinth.

The central area of the city is the great administrative building, complete with a very luxurious dining hall fit for all citizens. Hanging above the 7+ z level dining hall is the very symbol of the city: a giant lantern, lighting the way to the city's future.

So far, the farming sector, carpentry/clothing/mechanic sector, and foundry sector are all under construction. The foundation for the administrative building is set, and the residential towers are about halfway done, as well as the roads. The curtain wall containing the entire city is almost closed off.

Once I tap the magma pipe and underground river, the plumbing will begin to be built, bringing water to every building and magma to the foundry sector, powering the massive factory.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 12, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »

Raccoons have just stolen my underwear.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is starting to get annoying. I just BARELY made it to the Dagger ahead of them... else we'd be facing a gang of ARMED Raccoon theives right now.
Never pet a burning dog.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 12, 2009, 07:43:08 pm »

On maps with monkeys or racoons or whatever, every time one appears on the map I draft everyone and send them on monkey wrestling expeditions. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 12, 2009, 08:17:46 pm »

A goblin ambush appeared at the same place as the human caravan. I think you can guess what happened (but I got two free anvils out of it!)

An elite wrestler was down for a couple years with yellow wounds to his upper body and a mangled right lung. He's back up and fighting now, despite the fact that his lung remains mangled and he randomly passes out from it now and then.

A giant toad earned himself a first and last name ambushing my haulers while they cleaned up after the aforementioned caravan. The marksdwarves eventually took care of him, but there's two more in the cave river...
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 12, 2009, 09:40:34 pm »

Two caravans from different civs collided at the entrance of my fortress.  Usually they just go around eachother and slowly pile into the depot.

Not this time.  They apparently got confused when they both came to the road leading to the depot, they came from opposite sides, and the caravans just sat there unmoving.  The individual one animal merchants from both sides made it in fine.  Then after a time one began moving again.  All the wagons from one civ scuttled.  For no reason that I could gather. And the individual animal merchants took off with their packs full of food.  After the other caravan made it most of the way to the depot they also turned tail and left.  Again, no reason that I could gather, no message of them leaving.  This one didn't scuttle their wagons and took off normally.

And now I'm stuck, dumbfounded with only 230 units of meat remaining in a 212 member carnivore fortress and half a year until a useful caravan shows up and tries to run the gauntlet of invaders.  Most of the animals were slaughtered just to last to THIS caravan!  All wildlife has long ago been hunted and fished to extinction...  This will end badly.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 12, 2009, 09:44:42 pm »

First: that's a ton of dwarves. Whats your framerate, out of curiosity?

Second: If you want to run a carnivorous fort, a better way to do it is chain ~10 adults of each type of cattle, and slaughter their chilrens as they grow up. If you depend on caravans and/or fishing/hunting, you just can't make it.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 12, 2009, 09:53:51 pm »

32 FPS 4x3 embark magma pipe+brook.  it was capped at 200, but I had the misfortune of a full migrant wave at 198

Yea I do try to set up a breeding program for each fort, but I usually seem to fudge it up somehow.  This time I think I just didn't have enough breeding pairs.  I only had 3.  I'll try 10 pairs next time.

Better than last time I guess, when I flooded the room with all the baby animals caged in it when trying to make a waterfall and not making the outlet wide enough.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 12, 2009, 09:54:31 pm »

Greiger, is your race just [CARNIVORE]s or [BONE_CARN]s as well? If the latter, you might be able to survive if you've got plenty of bones around for them to eat. (Provided you don't have an economy. The economy makes bones unpurchasable for the purposes of food.)

If the former, might I suggest turning them into the latter?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 12, 2009, 10:05:40 pm »

Economy is on and in full swing and bones are very efficently turned into bolts almost the moment they are created.  Large refuse stockpile that only takes bones shells and skulls underground with 5 crafts shops in the room.  And they're only carnivore at any rate.

Oh well, I just companionized a zombie apocalypse.  At least the hammerer will live. He's sealed into his rooms with an iron constructed wall, a well, and enough food to last him 5 years(so I would not have to remember to dump food down his food pit every year).  My adventurer looks forward to the loot.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 12, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »

I think I've hit the population cap, luckily. I'm down to 20-30 FPS, dropping to 5 during sieges and 10 when ambushes are on the map. I'm debating if I want to do a megaproject or just start a new fort, this map isn't all that great. I may just have some fun dropping the goblins into the now-safe magma pipe.

A hauler was jumped by a goblin ambush. I did a quick check to see whether he was going to be missed, and unfortunately my 1x1 meeting zones are working too well. He had two pages of friends and a lover... not exactly expendable unless you want some funtm tantrum spirals. I have NEVER seen a dwarf run that fast, he outran all 8 goblins in a brilliant semi-circle ending in the mob of champion hammerdwarves. After being bored for a season after the marksdwarves cut down the last gobbo siege, the champions were bored stiff and looking to take some joy in the slaughter. You ever seen a goblin smacked into a tree hard enough to explode from right next to the tree? I swear, the head flew across the map and landed in one of my two refuse stockpiles.

This is the first time I've had nobles I didn't hate. All they do is put out either demands for pig iron (which is fine, I make the tax collector some pig iron bars and then process it into steel) or ban the export of tables/pig iron. Who exports tables or pig iron? The other ones like aluminum and blood metal, which I keep on hand for just such emergencies. Glad it's not a totem and goblet noble, those are my main exports.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 13, 2009, 01:40:20 am »

Trying to run a fortress in an extremely desolate desert.  No wood, no water and I got caught off guard by a couple of ambushes before I was able to set up any defenses.  Many casualties and due to the lack of water all the wounded end up dead. 

Even so, my dwarves are still hanging in there.  My defenses are up now and I have a handful of sword-dwarves in training.  A couple of dwarves became unhappy due to the deaths but that's been mostly taken care of thanks to my legendary mechanic who strategically placed some high quality traps in a high traffic location.

Oh, and I whooped batman's ass.  All six of them.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #508 on: December 13, 2009, 01:47:08 am »

In the spirit of an episode from Ed, Edd, n' Eddy, I decided to use all my huge masses of stones from below to go UP. I plan to make it encompass the entire Southern half of my region divided by the carp-infested river (Which has yet to claim one Dorf).

What's the purpose of this tower? Well, aside from experience in Masonry and productively disposing of the 20000+ stones in my mines as I hollow out the earth, none, but who gives a crap? Didn't God create Dorfs for the sole purpose of them creating Hyperstructures and giving the Irish competition?
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 13, 2009, 03:25:23 am »

... aside from experience in Masonry...

Unfortunately, Masonry construction (building Walls, Towers, paving the sky, etc) gives no experience to the Masonry skill... or to any other skill that I can detect.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 3842