Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121843 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #480 on: December 11, 2009, 01:03:44 am »

Made an object encrusted with runes of heal, bleed, regen, revive, and smoke, in later news, there is a dwarf shaped object running around shrouded in smoke, spewing blood, and isn't dieing from multiple instances of decapitation... from the perspective of the siegers.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 11, 2009, 03:38:39 am »

I boiled off the stone from my Underworld Challenge fort, and doubled the FPS to 40, and the little guys are fair whizzing around now.

The lake biome is nearly all dug out, bar the relocation of the old barracks and stores to the next layer, the underground forest.

I haven't found the U/G river yet, but I am sure I searched correctly for it, so it must be hiding well.

I am getting bad thoughts in some dwarves, so I mat need to movebeyond a large barracks, or at least ensure I don't run out of booze. More digging needed!

As a side note, boiling the stone did destroy two artifacts, so next time I will try to start with boiling stone, if I am doing a whole site dig.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 11, 2009, 06:09:41 am »

I ordered engravings to be made, one next to the door of each room my mayor (Tun Armorpassed) owns.  The description of the one on her bedroom reads:

"Engraved on the wall is a well-designed image of Tun Armorpassed the dwarf and purring maggots by Urist Mishoskikrost.  Tun Armorpassed is surrounded by the purring maggots.  Tun Armorpassed looks terrified."

Guess what animal Tun hates.  And now needs to go to bed looking at.

Yeah, check the relationships list - I imagine Urist and Tun have a grudge. Engravers with grudges are fun.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 11, 2009, 02:04:46 pm »

I haven't found the U/G river yet, but I am sure I searched correctly for it, so it must be hiding well.

My favorite method is to dig 9 mine shafts. A shaft in each corner, and then shafts at every midpoint. On each level, between the shafts, I dig a tunnel. The tunnel will, this way, run along the perimeter of the map. Since the U/G river has to enter from one edge (and sometimes exits from another), this ensures that I'll find it.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 11, 2009, 02:15:32 pm »

Since the U/G river has to enter from one edge (and sometimes exits from another), this ensures that I'll find it.

Sorry, that's a misconception. Underground rivers vary in length along multiple embark tiles, but ultimately start and end somewhere. If the river enters or exits from the edge of the map, it simply means that it does not start/end in your embark. Where a UG river begins, the water will be generating from a 5x5 (sans corners) circle with the label 'Waterfall.' Where the river ends is a chasm in the same shape. The starting or ending point could be in your map - or both could. If the river is contained within your embark, it won't be touching the edges. You've got good odds to find the river by searching the perimeter of the map, but no guarantee.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 11, 2009, 05:14:22 pm »

Stockpile transfers complete, new depot, new entrance, and it's now time to build up the exterior walls... but I'll need to burn and chop a lot of trees first.
Rockhome, year 222.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 11, 2009, 09:11:43 pm »

Mining in a snow flake type desighn, looking for pretty much anything usefull.
I start with a stairwell in the middle and branch out in all directions with 6 or 7 halls going in every cardinal direction.
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Cult of the Raven

• Bay Watcher
  • likes beards for their dwarfyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 12, 2009, 01:51:37 am »

I'm building a fortress that's supposed to be made entirely out of green glass - the emerald city, it shall be, but I found out that my Mayor/Trader/Captain of the guard hates the stuff, because he keeps generating 'slept in a terrible bedroom' thoughts when he's assigned a decent-quality room near the top of my first tower. The mayor of the city hates the material it's made of.  >:(

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 12, 2009, 06:07:03 am »

My "sacrifice puny recruits" plan is backfiring a bit more than I expected -- I've got a few tantrumers (one habitual one that mangled a bull's head, and another that broke the farm plot), three people are running around babbling, and a fourth is stuck where I forgot to take him off-duty, stricken by melancholy. That last one is one of my best marksdwarves, and I'm sure his death will make Wonderful Things happen (he used to be the fort's mayor until a super popular and skilled child grew up and took his place, so he had to be mayor for a reason). Even better, of all the twelve sane miserable dwarves, one of them is my Legendary weapon-maker, who I really don't want to lose.

If I lose my fort to this, it will be amazing.

(All edits now under a spoiler to save space. Currently on edit 9.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BOOTLASHES IS DOOMED, I THINK. HAPPY DAYS ARE ON THEIR WAY.

EDIT 4.5: Not an edit directly documenting my experiences, but about something interesting. One of my insane dorfs had her leg mangled by a tantrumer, and no one ever thought to carry her into the hospital bed that a melancholy dorf just left behind. Her status, instead of "running around babbling!", is now "crawling around babbling!". I'm guessing a dwarf that couldn't even crawl would be labeled as lying around. This is a really cool detail -- kudos to Toady for predicting we'd have injured housewives going crazy because everything they touch dies.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:12:12 am by A-chana »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 12, 2009, 06:59:41 am »

I start with a stairwell in the middle and branch out in all directions with 6 or 7 halls going in every cardinal direction.

This can't be true. I've never seen anyone who hated a material before...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 12, 2009, 12:38:27 pm »

My Underworld challenge fortress progresses, we have found the U/G river it both starts and ends in one map tile. Fortunately there were no river critters this time, but it is much lower than my forest biome level. Still, that shoul be now problem as we are finally flooding the lake level above.  It took a while to move all the goods and stone to the level beneath, but it finally done.  The aquifer is being channeled out, to flood the level, and I have left a little hatch to allow water into the biome beneath.  My only slight concern is that the water pressure will cause a mass flood, but  we shall see.

We dis have one diaster though, a mis designate around the magma pipe which led to another leak, only unlike the first time the magma leak was higher than the surrounding levels, so all the levels beneth were in danger.  Fortunately there was still some rock around, and I was able to construct a two storey dam around, and minimise the impact. There was a short panic when I wandered why I couldn't build the last sections of wall at the top of a ramp, but with another wall for the dwarf to stand on, I got the wall built.  The only way I can to to make this good, is to breach the pipe at a lower level  when I have the final magma pipe excavated out, and plug the hole when the magma level drops.

Who said it was going to be easy?

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 12, 2009, 01:19:31 pm »

Had two champions die sparring, that caused another champion to tantrum destroying a jewlers shop, that caused two useless peasants to berserk, startaling a champion who chopped them in about 30 peices with his admantine axe, the sight of that gore caused 3 suicides off the top of my waterfall making my drinking area run red with blood, 5 people refused to drink anything and died of thirst the 3 dwarfs carrying the bodies out got caught in a lava tube collapse, the lava proceeded to desinigrate 2 miners and a baby that was dropped due to the mothers injuries, after that all settled down..........well some goblins decided to show up for a party, and brutally slaughtered 33 dwarfs 4 recruits and a dog, i quit after that  :-\
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 12, 2009, 01:45:12 pm »

Its possible because a fort or so ago I had an engraver that I had trained to legendary when he hit a mood, things went normal at first, but then he got stuck on the cloth. I didn't have cloth, so I set up a loom to collect and proccess some cave spider silk, I had made several and yet the guy wouldn't pick it up. I was confused at first, but when I looked at his preferences, he hated cave spiders, so I figured he must hate cave spider silk as well for some reason. So, I set everybody to plant gathering and did a massive plant gathering attempt to find some rope weed. I never found some and lost the guy.

Anyways, In my current fort, I got a mood from some random hauler, the artifact itself is as ordinary as artifacts get and is a toy boat (got a legendary stonecrafter out of it), but the description is pretty funny.

Its a toy boat named The Mountanious Stoker, it has an image of Mosus Cudgeltax, who is my civs king, and it has an image of leaves on it (it actually says an image of a leaves). Now if you think about it for a moment, it looks like the dwarf who made it is saying that 'King Cudgeltax smokes weed!', lol. It is completely made of flint since I had locked the door since I was trying to cancel the mood.

Edit: Actually, it could also be symbolizing peace since peace was made with the goblins a few years before the current fort was founded.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:49:52 pm by smjjames »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 12, 2009, 02:22:31 pm »

A number of fairly odd things just happened to me.

First, I ran out of microcline. I've been wasting it away by paving floors with it, and astoundingly... yeah. So I'm astounded.

Secondly, I just had a very strange siege. After the first two squads got obliterated, a third seemed to be charging towards me... but ended up cutting directly across the map and not actually heading for my fort entrance, eventually leaving off the edge - except for a lone, single-attribute Bowgoblin. Meanwhile, I have seven champions who I've been training for the last decade that are each legendary in every social stat, every weapon skill (and then some... most are in the hypothetical 30s), and are currently armed with hammers... guarding the entrance. His approach was at the same time sad, adorable, and really, really depressing. Ballsy li'l guy. If I had used cage traps with this fort, I'd have much rather caged him and kept him as a mascot.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 12, 2009, 02:29:46 pm »

Its possible because a fort or so ago I had an engraver that I had trained to legendary when he hit a mood, things went normal at first, but then he got stuck on the cloth. I didn't have cloth, so I set up a loom to collect and proccess some cave spider silk, I had made several and yet the guy wouldn't pick it up. I was confused at first, but when I looked at his preferences, he hated cave spiders, so I figured he must hate cave spider silk as well for some reason. So, I set everybody to plant gathering and did a massive plant gathering attempt to find some rope weed. I never found some and lost the guy.

Ok... so, several things here.

1) There are 8 cardinal directions. So you can't dig in "every cardinal direction" by digging in 6 or 7 directions.

2) The first quote seems to be the result of someone clicking "quote" and answering the wrong comment, when they meant to be answering this:
I'm building a fortress that's supposed to be made entirely out of green glass - the emerald city, it shall be, but I found out that my Mayor/Trader/Captain of the guard hates the stuff, because he keeps generating 'slept in a terrible bedroom' thoughts when he's assigned a decent-quality room near the top of my first tower. The mayor of the city hates the material it's made of.  >:(
The problem here is that if a room isn't good enough for someone, and the general status of their Requirements is red, they'll call a room terrible. It doesn't matter what it's made out of, you've just given them a room that isnt' good enough for them and they're whining about it.

3) The wiki is helpful on the whole moods situation, but the reason that you had trouble getting someone to use silk is that they wanted plant fiber cloth. The demand can look the same, but they are actually two different types of material, like rock and metal, and you can't give them one instead of the other. They won't take it. They will take different kinds of silk (cave spider or giant cave spider) and different kinds of plant fiber (rope reed or pig tail) but they will only take an item from the proper category. This is not intuitive nor easy to figure out, so it's easy to see how you were confused at first. Props on finding a quick solution.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 3842