Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121854 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #465 on: December 09, 2009, 06:01:12 am »

Dragon is successfully tamed, he now lives in a small alcove next to my front gate, held by a copper chain.  Too bad I'll never get sieges on this fortress  :'(

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 09, 2009, 06:02:44 am »

Wow. So here come the humies, and an ambush pops up. Not a problem; the caravan guards take them out.

Another shows up as the wagons are on their way across the map(I apparently missed yet another spot that kept them from being channeled directly into the depot. -_-) Again, not a problem.

Wagons get all the way to the tunnel within which my depot lies, and a third ambush suddenly appears. Apparently, despite the traps and the presence of my elite corps of marksdwarfs, this is enough to make the merchants say "Screw you guys, we're goin' home." Gaah.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 09, 2009, 02:38:19 pm »

well, there's always locking them in their rooms...
NOT DWARFY ENOUGH.

I 100% agree!  There should be magma and grates and supports and cave-ins and self initiated demise and weapon traps with 10 serrated disks!
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 09, 2009, 05:07:44 pm »

well, there's always locking them in their rooms...
NOT DWARFY ENOUGH.

I 100% agree!  There should be magma and grates and supports and cave-ins and self initiated demise and weapon traps with 10 serrated disks!
It also needs to flood the rest of the fortress.

With clowns.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 09, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »

My current fortress is on top of a volcano and every time I get too many dwarves outside some imp jumps out and burns everything. Or just a few tiles, and the fire does the rest...

So I'm waiting for the entire z-level of the volcano top to burn down so I get my FPS back.

Tuxd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 10, 2009, 12:44:48 am »

Using the dwarven heaven map, and I'm building a dam, going to flood the lower region and turn it into a lake, 3 or 4 waterwheels at the top so that it generates power. Haven't decided what I'm going to use the magma pipe for yet..

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 10, 2009, 03:28:41 pm »

The grand transitioning of stockpiles and workshops has begun; over 150 dwarves have stopped farting about in order to move huge numbers of bins from one place to another. Soon, we will be ready to destroy the original section completely.

Playbahnosh

• Bay Watcher
  • The Peacemaker
    • View Profile
    • PC Dome
« Reply #472 on: December 10, 2009, 03:34:49 pm »

Using the dwarven heaven map, and I'm building a dam, going to flood the lower region and turn it into a lake, 3 or 4 waterwheels at the top so that it generates power. Haven't decided what I'm going to use the magma pipe for yet..

I think it's quite obvious from the setup. Lake + magma = obsidian lake ^_^
"We do it on the stove. It's nice to have hot sex for once...and fries"

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 10, 2009, 03:44:11 pm »

You can't drown or burninate goblins in an obsidian lake. You could carbonite them though...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Playbahnosh

• Bay Watcher
  • The Peacemaker
    • View Profile
    • PC Dome
« Reply #474 on: December 10, 2009, 04:30:16 pm »

You can't drown or burninate goblins in an obsidian lake. You could carbonite them though...

Exactly. Anyone knows if traders pay more for obsidian blocks embossed with goblins? Like Han Solo? Jabba payed hella lot for him, so I guess chubby overlords would pay for nice goblin statues. "see, it's almost lifelike! And half-price!"
"We do it on the stove. It's nice to have hot sex for once...and fries"

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 10, 2009, 06:37:49 pm »

I ordered engravings to be made, one next to the door of each room my mayor (Tun Armorpassed) owns.  The description of the one on her bedroom reads:

"Engraved on the wall is a well-designed image of Tun Armorpassed the dwarf and purring maggots by Urist Mishoskikrost.  Tun Armorpassed is surrounded by the purring maggots.  Tun Armorpassed looks terrified."

Guess what animal Tun hates.  And now needs to go to bed looking at.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 10, 2009, 06:43:52 pm »

I've heard that dwarves will have negative thoughts of sleeping in rooms with animals that they detest.

Be prepared for an unhappy noble.

And do help improve the knowledge in whole by proving/disproving this, preferably with screenshots where recent thoughts reflect on the room's status.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #477 on: December 10, 2009, 06:44:17 pm »

While my Baron was dealing with the representative from the mountainhomes, the human and elven diplomats showed up at essentially the same time.  The elven diplomat went straight to the fortress meeting room and hung out there till the baron was free.  The human diplomat for some reason spent most of the season standing where he appeared on the map before finally getting up and going to see the baron.  I had to send soldiers out to keep him from getting killed by ambushes while waiting.

The elven ambassador was very concerned that we not cut down any of the non-existent trees in the waterless desert surrounding the fortress.  I resisted the temptation to throw him in the crocodile pit.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 10, 2009, 10:56:02 pm »

I've heard that dwarves will have negative thoughts of sleeping in rooms with animals that they detest.

She does have a "slept in a poor room lately" thought, but I'm not sure if that's from sleeping with the maggot carvings or from sleeping in her husband's tiny bedroom.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 11, 2009, 12:00:49 am »

A dwarf's likes and dislikes will affect their valuation of the quality of the room. So a dwarf who likes microcline will love their room filled with microcline cabinets, whereas your poor mayor's engraving might actually subtract from the apparent value of the room (I'm not sure whether it subtracts, or just becomes a smaller positive value).
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 3842