Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121701 times)

Izual6764

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #450 on: December 07, 2009, 12:04:10 pm »

Found great place to embark with magma, brook, flux, and bauxite and the brook is carp free. Struck rubies when digging out a meeting hall. Turned off hunting labor as i saw that everything my cats could hunt was dangerously near the magma pipe. I think i can survive first few years. But of course i cursed myself by saying this.  :)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 08, 2009, 03:40:38 am »

I made a video of my spike floor lightly maiming some elf traders:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1868-randomfloorspikes

Sadly, I haven't had any contact with goblin or kobold civilizations, only elves and dwarfs... elsewise I would have built a pitting room on the floor above to drop in prisoners where they could wander, enver knowing when the next no quality glass spike would pop up and end their life... or just chew a little more of it away.  So far, I've had more dwarfs run across that then enemies, and never get more than bruising thanks to their toughness and agility keeping them out of harm's way.

If this wasn't a proof of concept, I'd load in at least 5 spikes per floor tile to make up for the low quality of each spike.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

JoystickHero

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:tileset]
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 08, 2009, 03:58:00 am »

I made a video of my spike floor lightly maiming some elf traders:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1868-randomfloorspikes

If this wasn't a proof of concept, I'd load in at least 5 spikes per floor tile to make up for the low quality of each spike.
It's videos like this that make me wish I could use serrated disk traps on elven traders. Ah, well, guess that's what war is for.
~~~
I just recently turned the magnetite vein I found into a dining hall, and thanks to the platinum pockets in there, and the fact that I smoothed the whole place, it's royal without any furniture. Through a combination of a Legendary Mason making Platinum Statues and Legendary Engravers, I intend to make my dining room so Royal that I can give little pieces of it to separate nobles, and have both the pieces and the main room stay Royal.

This has been at least partially put on hold, though, as I have to keep contending with more immigrants coming in faster than I can account for them. I recently gave up on trying to give each immigrant his own room, instead settling on enlarging my barracks. I'm going to double the staff of my steel-production industry, and I've got one dwarf dedicated to making each type of crafts, but I still struggle with finding jobs for all of them. My military is currently six peasant immigrants being trained on Screw Pumps, who will start actual military training once they hit Legendary, or I finish their armor, whichever comes first. I intend to put another six dwarves through the same process, possibly using the same pumps. I'm also going to train up a siege engineer and three or four operators. I've got more puppies and dogs than I care to count, so training a veritable army of wardogs shouldn't be too difficult. My plans for a carptarp are on hold because I'm just too busy micromanaging what I've got now. Even with all that, I've got about 20 dwarves just kind of chilling in my dining hall. Though, I've got plenty of haulers, and I'm sure 20 untrained, unarmored wrestlers will be able to kill /something/.

No big land enemies yet, but the entrance to my fort is so busy that any goblins or kobolds are seen well before they walk into range of my cage traps. This reminds me to put up a wall of fortifications on my side of my moat. I have a mason dedicated to that sort of thing, so it should be ok. I'm at just over 50 dwarves now, so the economy should be kicking in in a year, maybe less if I put out another artifact. (First one was a ring. It's stuffed behind a wall in the barracks. At least I have a legendary woodcrafter now.) Guess the Royal Guard can always use more warm bodies.

UPDATE: Just had a Secretive mood. He made me an artifact steel(!!!) buckler. I'm a very happy dwarf. The commander of my first military squad will get it, the rest are going to get shields made by my now legendary armorer, and everyone's still going to get steel armor (stacked chain and plate) by him. ...I'm actually starting to pity those poor stupid goblins.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:59:00 am by JoystickHero »
JoystickHero's Capital Tileset (Simple. Clean. 16x16)
Quote from: Moosey
Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 08, 2009, 04:24:48 am »

My zombie survival fortress had no immigrants. Again. The 6 dwarves are growing slightly troubled. Also, my leatherworker is also my marksman. That means he's making his own armor. Urist Idosrigoth: the self-made carpslayer.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10:20 am »

Im already into my third year and havnt even started on a damn workshop center yet.
My miners are bastards and dont dig enough and as my sigg says i have enough rock crafts to buy every single thing that comes my way.
I have barely any trees but have found a underground river which has nothing but vermin in it :D.
I plan on rerouting the river so it goes into this massive towercap tree forrest im making.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 08, 2009, 08:21:43 am »

My second attempt at The Underworld Challenge, after an incident with underground river critters that two reclaims couldnt deal with.

Found a new site, 2x3 with a magma pipe and U/G river.  Odd shaped map, so I finally got round to finding a square curses tile.

Just for laughs, the site also has an aquifer, so I will now have three layers, a site spanning lake, then the forest underworld, then the magma cavern.

Excavation of the first layer progressed well, until the magam pipe was unintentionally breached.  I tried to block it off by channelling into the aquifer, but of course this just filled with magma and the flood continued.  I had written off the whole layer, and resigned myself to flooding it with water later, and digging it all out again, when I noticed the magma flow was stalled.  The flow from a single tile breach at the top of a pipe wasnt enough to keep up with the evaporation around the edge of the flow as it fanned out.

I damed it back up with a hatch cover and pond, and its nearly all evaporated now.  I think I lost two miners and two others to the fire, as well as half a stockpile of booze and food, as one of the dwarves walked the fire back into the camp.

It makes a change having a map scale project to work on, and I am enjoying not designing a detailed fortress yet, but making do camping amid the excavations.

Time to plan the entrance route, which should cross the top of the magma pipe, to allow for a bridge dump, then the final position of the main shaft can be pinned down, and access to the forest layer breached. Once we get that dug out I can start planning the main fort, which will be hung on the side of the rock columns.  All in all, quite a different fort from my standard ones.

I am still hunting for the U/G river, although more carefully this time, as I dont want another flooding incident.

It is also interesting having different priorities for a jobs, as I dont need high quality meals or furniture, or even bedrooms.  Ideally I would have 50% miners, 25% military, and the rest as support.  Mostly Craftdwarves & Masons to use up the stone from the excavations.  Everyone just sleeps in the large barracks.

Trouble is, I cant get any metal for more picks.  I have bought out the caravans, but remain short on good metal.  We have found Nickel, which is good for statues etc, but no good for tools.  Maybe I should up the number of people converting stone to goods, then offload it all to the caravans.  One of the reasons crafts are better is that they are able to be stored in bins, and carted off in large quantities.

I need to check if the liason is arriving, as I dont remember ordering any metal bars.  Perhaps I need to give my Mayor some time off, but I thought they usually just hung around.  The liason did get killed in the last fort, and I stick to the same world.  Have to wait and see.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 08, 2009, 03:02:33 pm »

As expected, the elves brought crap, so I just seized everything. I should make a wooden monument in their honor before they return, too.

Had my first goblin siege during a human caravan, which was weird. It was even smaller than some of the ambushes I've gotten (last ambush had three groups going after me), but they had marksgobbos. One recruit of mine went from no kills at all to five, and one of my founders earned his title as well after he clubbed some goblins to death with his crossbow. Lost several dwarves, including a mother, her two baby boys, and even her attack dog. I was trying to get some of them killed, anyway. Yay, population control!

This had the slightly unfortunate side effect of making a third of my fort unhappy, with half of those dwarves outright miserable. I'm sure it'll end well.

Just to be sure, I marked the hammerer's hammer for dumping. I may need to build jails, too, and pave over the meeting hall/dining room floor with engravings and such. Holding back on playing this fort for a while until I can figure out what I'm supposed to do with a 3.42 MB CMV file (I'm giving some friends updates of the fort, but I need to have the movie ready somehow).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:04:07 pm by A-chana »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 08, 2009, 03:31:31 pm »

Apparently killing the local leaders wasn't enough to stop the orc hoards, as now they're sending their guards and priests at me. Standard 5 squad siege. Ended up the same as last time, all the dwarves ran after the first squad leaving a single dwarf to deal with the others. He now has an impressive title.

Ok, I'm exaggerating. The others ran off after the first three squads and a single soldier went to fight the remnants of the other two who had been heavily weakened by marksdwarves. But he still fought off 12 orcs solo, and he does have a nice title and several kills to his name. Apparently my cross-training regimen works very well.

The countess (baron arrived and was immediately promoted) brought with her the economy. I disabled rent. Coincidentally, this came at the exact moment that I ran out of jobs for my haulers to do. So the orcs are kind of an economic stimulus, I worked it out, between hauling the pieces of their corpses, processing their bones and skulls, hauling the bolts and totems, hauling their armor and weapons, melting their armor and weapons, and hauling the metal you get from melting your average orc takes 25 jobs to process. Multiply by 60 orcs and you get something like 1500 jobs from the siege. More if you count the later jobs of crafting the melted metal and training with the bolts. Goblins are even better, since they wear 10-15 pieces of clothing in addition, bringing the grand total up another 600 jobs to 2100 total jobs to process a single 4 squad siege.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 08, 2009, 09:06:29 pm »

Attacked by a dragon for the first time ever, his name is Obasp Parchedsweltered the Diamond of Wealths.  His first order of business?  Smash the depot and all the goodies I still had in it, trod all over my outside farm plot, then walk right into my outside barracks to break some beds. (I moved everyone inside, even the military, they're trained but not enough to take down a dragon yet.  Besides, I want to capture the guy, not kill him).  He somehow smashed some masterpieces that belonged to my best mason/engraver, but he doesn't seem to mind.  The dragon then deconstructed my kennels, then walked right into my cage trap.  SCORE!

edit: hammerer died of thirst.  Somehow, went he walked into his very sparse bedroom, the door locked behind him and a wall was built around the other side  ::)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:53:46 pm by Euld »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2009, 11:50:30 pm »

Attacked by a dragon for the first time ever, his name is Obasp Parchedsweltered the Diamond of Wealths.  His first order of business?  Smash the depot and all the goodies I still had in it, trod all over my outside farm plot, then walk right into my outside barracks to break some beds. (I moved everyone inside, even the military, they're trained but not enough to take down a dragon yet.  Besides, I want to capture the guy, not kill him).  He somehow smashed some masterpieces that belonged to my best mason/engraver, but he doesn't seem to mind.  The dragon then deconstructed my kennels, then walked right into my cage trap.  SCORE!

edit: hammerer died of thirst.  Somehow, went he walked into his very sparse bedroom, the door locked behind him and a wall was built around the other side  ::)

God, I can't wait for dragons to be able to fly and pwn everyone to hell. The last dragon that showed up at my fort, I just put down a single cage trap outside the entryway (not even against the wall, just in the middle of the surounding field) and let everyone go about their business - military wasn't activated, civilians weren't told to stay inside... hell, I don't even use war dogs or traps. I mean, it didn't even bother to try and walk around the damn thing.

Shame about your hammerer. Hope your dwarves will get over it. :P

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 09, 2009, 12:21:15 am »

And then somebody accidentally opened a keg of sewer brew and held a party.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 09, 2009, 04:08:00 am »

I'm trying to figure out a simple way for a newbie to kill an annoying noble. So far I've tried a spike trap, which hasn't worked, and now I'm trying to figure out how to get said noble to stand beneath my atom smasher. (I was going to try building a lever right where the smasher would smash and just task the noble to repeatedly pull that so they'd stay there, but no go.)
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 09, 2009, 04:29:30 am »

well, there's always locking them in their rooms...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 09, 2009, 04:34:05 am »

Ah, yes, that. I keep forgetting about the simple things...
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 09, 2009, 05:06:13 am »

NOT DWARFY ENOUGH.

I'm building a tower in the desert right now. It's next to a regular river, perfectly flat. Only a few scrub trees in the little bit of yellow sand desert to the west.

So, naturally, I start by setting some stuff up beforehand. I run the Orc mod, so I need some quick defenses. "Quick," in this case, means "a wall around three sides, about 250 tiles on a side." (I work big.) Farms, colored-stone-separated masons and mechanics, all the good stuff.

I'm going to start sinking the foundation (by tunneling out that disgusting silly white...sand) and then start building upward. Not going to fill in the inside until I get the whole thing built.

The top floor's gonna be a shrine to Armok, with water being pumped into a huge cistern and falling from above (with drainage channels to dump the excess back in the river). It will also serve as the plumbing reservoir for my nobles' quarters. Each noble's quarters has an inconveniently situated set of pipes built into the level above it. And a strangely placed floodgate to an outside wall. With a grate in front of it. Isn't this so strange? I can't imagine what my dwarves plan to do with that.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 3842