Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121729 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #435 on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:33 pm »

Goblin ambush hits a military migrant I didn't notice last migrant wave poor guy goes down fast and I activate my military and tell the civvies to get underground.

But that doesn't stop the guard.

A lone guard runs out to pickup equipment.  Probably the dude's socks.  I don't think much of it, thinking it's one less mouth to feed, then as he heads past the outer trench I notice he's flashing.  It's a legendary Fortress Guard. Legendary maceman, legendary shield user.  I wondered what that champion message last year was all about, I didn't have any new champions.

My fortress guards are equipped with leather and clubs. The clubs are 40 damage mace weapons, they're basically guard only gear not intended to inflict damage.

But nobody told Officer Brightnesstwine that it seems.  She immediately sends the first goblin she reaches into a tree which sends limbs flying everywhere from the impact, then pummles a speargoblin into a pulpy mass while other goblins emerge from ambush on top of her.  Now, she's mad, she goes into a martial trance throwing goblins one after another out of the dogpile until the martial trance wears off.  At this point my regular military is rushing to the rescue, and she finally takes a wound, just a brown upper arm, nothing serious.  And she decides she better go rest up. Without even a single cancellation message she craws out of the mass of goblins and starts walking back into the fortress.  The goblins are already fleeing for the hills, all the military does is finish off the wounded.

Who says Fortress Guards are worthless?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 06, 2009, 09:12:44 pm »

Argh, having a bit of aquifer difficulty. Despite the embark screen not listing any, I found a whole bunch of tiny random ones all over the grassy half of my map - where I've been trying to level the land and dig out a new river and moat. You'd think this would be helpful, but the aquifer levels are higher than where I want to level the land down to. And since I'm concerned about making thhe area look nice, I'm not content to simply wall off the offending areas or go around. So I've been digging them out in the winters, then leaving just an ice wall around the direct aquifer tiles... then in the spring, sending in engravers to rush against the water and smooth them off, later draining them out with pumps. It's taken... well, it's winter of the eighth year currently, so almost nine, doing about one level a year and starting a few years in. Fortunately I think I'm on the last level now before I'm happy, but dear christ that took a while.

I'm thinking that to get the natural grassy look back to these new stony layers, I'll flood them to make them muddy and then build and destroy farm plots to get furrowed loam. Dunno if furrowed loam tiles will start to grow grass, trees, and shrubs again if outside, but no harm in trying. I'll prefer furrowed loam to rock on the visualizars, anyhow.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 06, 2009, 09:25:32 pm »

My new fort is off to a really bad start.  This is my first map with magma so I'm still learning the ins and outs of how it works.  So it's no surprise that my one miner got fried when he tunneled under an area with magma.  Note to self: magma collapses natural floors with no support.  My metal smith met with a similar fate when he had a run in with a fire imp.  Not even a year into this fortress and I'm down to 5 dwarves.  To top it off I'm on a volcanic island.  That means the only people I get to trade with are dwarves who show up once every autumn.  But that also means no goblins.

I think I can hold out until some migrants arrive as long as no other major mishaps occur.  I managed to trade for a bronze pick axe to replace the one I lost with my miner and I got a new guy doing all the mining.  The problem is this new guy already has a shit ton of jobs assigned to him including masonry.  If I lose that guy I'm sunk.

I'm going to make my primary industry glass.  I already have my magma furnaces set up so I won't have to worry any more with digging out magma channels.  Turns out magma is actually pretty easy to work with as long as you know what you're doing.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2009, 09:31:03 pm »

Note to self: magma collapses natural floors with no support.

Strictly speaking, ANY floor without some sort of support will collapse. The magma wasn't responsible, it was just there to poke its head in the door once the fun started :D

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 06, 2009, 10:44:45 pm »

Note to self: magma collapses natural floors with no support.

Strictly speaking, ANY floor without some sort of support will collapse. The magma wasn't responsible, it was just there to poke its head in the door once the fun started :D

I guess what I should have said was direct support, as in no wall directly underneath it.  Maybe it was a fluke but I assumed this was the normal way magma works.  You tunnel underneath it, it melts it's way through the floor onto your miners.  I don't see any other way it could have happened.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 06, 2009, 10:53:05 pm »

Magma will melt through ice, but I've never experienced what you are talking about.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 06, 2009, 11:06:33 pm »

Next up is to rebuild the army around the sole survivor of the previous army (he was asleep when the goblins came).

Heh. A season or two later, I've got six guys up to basic wrestler status and haven't started them in on training with axes yet, and another siege has appeared.

I'm not as concerned this time, however, since just before the siege appeared two merchant caravans arrived - dwarven and satyr, both with heavily armed and armored complements of guards that the siegers will have to get through before they have to face my novices. If the guards kill the goblins, great. If the goblins kill the guards, a bit scarier but at least the goblins should be badly weakened and I'll get all the caravan goods for free this year. Hope it doesn't come to that, I love the tame animals the satyrs have been bringing me (they've got the same animals as elves but they've got a liason I can make requests with, so it was stupidly easy to get a breeding pair of saltwater crocodiles, alligators, and giant jaguars/lions/tigers/leopards :).

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 06, 2009, 11:14:02 pm »

Speaking of seiges, I just got my first one for this fort--and incidentally, my first one ever.

So far I am disappointed, as all the goblins are just staying at the edge of the map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've got my military mobilized and ready at the two entrances to my fort, but since they're just sitting there, I'm not bothering to order anyone inside until they start moving. (Why they're just sitting there I can't figure out. Might be due to that frozen brook...I'm going ahead and building a bridge further upstream just in case, so they have a way to path to my fortress if for whatever reason they can't cross the brook.)

Oh, and the channels on the edge of the map are my attempts at funneling caravans into my trade depot. So far, hasn't quite worked yet.

EDIT: D'oh, I know why they're sitting there; there's some random Dwarf down in the channel at the brook level and they're trying to get at him.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:47:22 pm by Kyronea »
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 07, 2009, 12:03:40 am »

All but one dwarf died in three consecutive fires.
The good thing it is the farmer/brewer that survived, Little Asmel MedtobFotthor " Asmel BlockadeForests ", can you survive til the next wave?

But for now, time to get the last five dogs to keep the thieves away.

Voltaggia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:19 am »

Just had some fun - goblin siege combined with a dragon. Fortress died. :(

Started a new fortress at another loaction and we're doing pretty well - soil type is black sand and there's a lot of lignite and bituminous coal in the mountains so mining is going to be easy. There's also a river which I'll probably harness to drown the goblins.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 07, 2009, 04:45:41 am »

Been plotting out a rather extensive to-do list. Geez, I'm amazed at how much left I have... you'd think after nine years you'd be mostly done your projects. And if I still decide to make a dam like I had been considering... well, I'll finish what I've got on my plate first.

Still to-do:
- build the boat in the drydock, but wait until tower cap farm starts producing.
- create the arch entrance and bridge over the moat
- some sort of elf zoo. Unsure of design, but they haven't sieged me yet, so I might as well take advantage of their traders still arriving.
- do a whole bunch more digging so I can build the jailhouse... regular rooms and Captain's office in the main structure, Hammerer's lair and torture chambers dug in windy tunnels underneath.
- I'm still wondering how to plot my graveyard... I might dig out actual mounds for each tomb using ramps. That'd be pretty, I think.
- ...yeesh, I just realized that my nobility is going to have to move out of temp housing once I finish the main housing area. Time to build a little palace. I'll put the treasury there, I think, with the clerk offices.
- and of course, I still need to finish the tavern.

So a whole bunh more still on the plate. Wonder how much I can get done before the 10-year anniversary. Well, I've got 11 months, I'll have to find out.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 07, 2009, 04:45:59 am »

Goblin siege!

These guys didn't stick around a corner of the map. Oh no, they headed straight for my fortress, all 48 of them, including several axe lords, a mace lord, and a couple elite bowmen.

My military is outnumbered two to one, as I'm still working on building them up. I was expecting half of them to get slaughtered and to fill my mausoleum with dwarf bodies.

Instead? Well...just see for yourself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The goblins were all exterminated, and as far as I can tell, the worst my military ended up with was a broken leg on the Captain of the Guard.

I'm so proud of my dwarfs right now.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 07, 2009, 05:07:53 am »

Well... I had an idea and seven trusty dwarfs embarked on a journey of discovery... I made a 7x11 field of green glass upright spikes (1 per trap) and a 7x11 field of 1/7-3/7 water activated pressure plates, and then I connected them all together and filled the second chamber up with 4/7 water and one 3/7 hole that wanders around the field, triggering the plates

unfortunately, I haven't gotten ANY goblins or kobolds or anything... just the dwarf and elf caravans.  The FUN part is that it's possible for anyone to walk across the field of spikes unharmed with a little luck... the elves showed up just as I got it working, and the entire caravan crossed it safely... then I save scummed a few times in the name of SCIENCE! and noticed the first got through with minor bruising, but this time around I managed to kill one of the pack animals and a merchant... figures I get the ones carrying the bins of cloth.  Ah well, that's what the magma if for!

I should get a DFMA account set up and record it in action.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 07, 2009, 07:29:32 am »

Yeesh, FINALLY caught the damn elves. I dropped them from a bridge math onto some cage traps, then had to collapse things around them to knock them out. But hey, seven almost completely uninjured elves, I think four of which are berserk. A great haul for this spring. Should've caught the liason, too, but... hindsight. Oh well; they probably were only a year away from sieging as it was.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 07, 2009, 08:43:18 am »

That dwarf had more luck than he deserves...
I opened a clear path into a section of a bottomless pit, since one of my crafters is starting to go crazy about getting some silk. And, of course, as soon as it is open, they all rush for the precious silk before the door is constructed. One minor crafter found his death in there.

*horn fanfare* The cavalry comes rolling and starts to slaughter the antmen down there. And everything is fine and dandy again... Waitasecond, those were ten soldiers... seven... eight... nine... one is missing! I didn't receive any death message whatsoever, so I check his whereabouts... Seems like he dodged an enemy down a cliff and landed on a small ledge. Close call.

I'd like to rescue him, but after that incident my FPS dropped to a constant below 20... Have no idea why. Maybe it's that flowing 4-field wide water channel still trying to reach the pit... I should have built the pumps at the bottom too...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 3842