Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121538 times)

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2009, 04:33:34 am »

Fort just died.

Seriously... I had a Engraver [Lorbam Crowdpaddled, the Legends say] go on a berzerk rampage after not getting silk (my fourth failed mood in a row). Whereupon he just slaughtered EVERYONE. By the time my military FINALLY obeyed my orders to go onto thier station (after around 12 guys had been killed), the bezerker had aquired enough wrestling skill to SINGLE-HANDEDLY WIPE EVERYONE OUT!!

I had a seige outside my doors, and when I let them in on a test of my defences previously, they killed 25 dwarves. This single Engraver killed MORE THAN THE ENTIRE GOBLIN SEIGE WOULD HAVE!

*Furious*
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:42:12 am by digitCruncher »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2009, 04:45:43 am »

^- Eep. That's pretty nasty.

On my own fort, I've finally decided where I want to carve out the dungeon master's dungeon / torture chambers - Underneath the magma caldera (I dug out a giant sloped mound and filled it... yeah. anyways). I don't know why I didn't think of this before. He likes obsidian, a whole bunch of standard metals I have in excess, and... titans. I have a caged titan. How fitting for the dungeon - a giant monster, obsidian (underneath a magma caldera, and I'm making some magma channels as well), and metal for furniture. I'm so happy with it, I think I'll take the elves for a tour.

ed- reminded by post below me; my engraver's favourite

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:14:27 am by Retro »

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 06, 2009, 04:51:11 am »

I'm preparing to wage war on the Elves, as I'm more than a little sick of their constant cloth bringing and general elviness. Trying to figure out how to redirect the brook--which is way on the opposite side of the map--to my trade depot area to turn it into a flooding chamber. (Or just wait for the merchants to go insane. Either way works.)

EDIT: Looks like I didn't have to wait long for that bout of insanity. All the elves are dead.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:57:43 am by Kyronea »
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 06, 2009, 05:44:25 am »

Gah just lost a fort to stupidity.

Was building a water tower for a flooding room.
Forgot to close the hatches before testing.

Entire underground fortress flooded. Everyone trapped inside either drowning or already dead.
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

AshrothTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 06, 2009, 06:28:26 am »

I started a fortress on a savage glacier, right over a magma pipe.

Autumn comes, I've got my farm plot and have secured my entrance. The price paid was heavy, as I lost two dwarves to a blizzard man and a third one to some ice wolves. Luckily the three dead seemed to only have been friends with each other, so the survivors are okay with living in abject squalor till I get the time to make their rooms.

Edit: Turns out the survivors are two pairs of lovers, and everyone is ecstatic.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:53:35 am by AshrothTheBrave »

JoystickHero

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:tileset]
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 06, 2009, 06:47:47 am »

Been testing my hobgoblins a bit more, trying to learn more about entity tabs so I can do more than just make them buffed, non-[BONECARN] gobbos.
JoystickHero's Capital Tileset (Simple. Clean. 16x16)
Quote from: Moosey
Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 06, 2009, 07:37:36 am »

Lost a fort to an invasion of 9 skeletal whales, following shortly after an attack by 4 of the bastards. They're size 16, they walk on land, and have no fear. Oh yeah, and the rules of the fort say that we can't just wall ourselves in.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 06, 2009, 07:56:47 am »

Finally some migrants arrived at my fortress, probably attracted by the extra wealth the elven caravan left behind when they ran into some wild giant termites (dig deeper). The fortress is now in its 4th year and still nothing is done. The construction of the powerplant takes now almost a year and the two years i invested into the cistern system dont seem to pay off since the murky pools a constantly nearly dry. Seems like i will have to build a watergenerator before i can finally start with the magmaforges and the project FTW defenses...  :-\

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #428 on: December 06, 2009, 10:13:28 am »

Fort number one: trying to sort out the chaotic mess it is due to poor planning/immigrant floods. Maybe I'll get lucky and a goblin siege or Legendary will attack.  I'm constantly having to rush around and make barrels then booze for all of them.  Poor planning and lack of experience on my part. ;)

Fortress number two:  Just had a failed mood (she wanted cloth, I had cloth all over the place, but the silly bitch wouldn't go get it. Eventually went mad and died of thirst). Got more immigrants, and I now have 64 people. My dwarves keep bitching about a well but I haven't figured out how to make one yet.  My armorer (immigrant) got a mood and created a copper gauntlent.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 06, 2009, 11:46:01 am »

Just had a siege that wiped out my military before breaking and fleeing. First time in a long while that I've felt threatened by a siege, in any of my forts - these guys actually got into my main stairwell before they'd had enough, and a handful of civilliands died along with the warriors. Interesting.

One of my woodcutters is miserable because his wife was in that military, and his only son was following her around when the goblins arrived. If he goes mad that'll be a Total Family Kill. I don't forsee a tantrum spiral, though - every dwarf has his own personal quarters of at least 8 tiles, a cabinet and a coffer, and many of them have glass windows and smooth chalk walls. a hundred windows installed so far, another hundred+ on the way. The smashing that would occur during a tantrum spiral would be glorious. :)

Next up is to rebuild the army around the sole survivor of the previous army (he was asleep when the goblins came).

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 06, 2009, 12:34:38 pm »

Lost a fort to an invasion of 9 skeletal whales, following shortly after an attack by 4 of the bastards. They're size 16, they walk on land, and have no fear. Oh yeah, and the rules of the fort say that we can't just wall ourselves in.

Sounds like a job for cage traps. Dozens of them. You can't wall yourselves in, sure, but you can set up a nasty row of cage traps through which to funnel invaders. No idea what you would do with the whales after that, though. I mean, magma or chasm-dump is an obvious choice, but if you don't have those...

Turns out the survivors are two pairs of lovers, and everyone is ecstatic.

It's gonna be a looong winter, baby. Avatar related.

Fort just died.

Seriously... I had a Engraver [Lorbam Crowdpaddled, the Legends say] go on a berzerk rampage after not getting silk (my fourth failed mood in a row). Whereupon he just slaughtered EVERYONE. By the time my military FINALLY obeyed my orders to go onto thier station (after around 12 guys had been killed), the bezerker had aquired enough wrestling skill to SINGLE-HANDEDLY WIPE EVERYONE OUT!!

I had a seige outside my doors, and when I let them in on a test of my defences previously, they killed 25 dwarves. This single Engraver killed MORE THAN THE ENTIRE GOBLIN SEIGE WOULD HAVE!

*Furious*

That is incredible. So far, my berserkers have only managed to feebly thrash at people before getting their teeth kicked in.

You should visit the fort with an adventurer and see if he's still running around in there. I heard they do that.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 06, 2009, 02:21:34 pm »

Dunno why people hate that the elves bring cloth, I find it pretty useful for replacement clothing/socks/etc.

that and strange moods sometimes snag it.

My Fort, though, has been repelling invasions and monkeys quite easily, with only 2 instances of the melee-equip soldiers needing to charge out to fight, which is nice because I only have 30 melee, and 75 Crossbowmen >.>

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 06, 2009, 02:45:57 pm »

Wow. What's your population capped at? That's a large military for a 200 dorf fortress.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 06, 2009, 04:43:32 pm »

Wow. What's your population capped at? That's a large military for a 200 dorf fortress.

it's at 200, but there's a lot of children that grow up and such. Current fort Pop is 236. Still average 25 FPS too :D

Also, just finished the City walls, so I'm very well fortified and have pleanty of booze (read, 27k >.> Gotta love Potash and legendary farmers.)

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 06, 2009, 05:53:32 pm »

First ambush of the fort, and yet they kill two of my champions. Probably because the goblins had several crossbows while mine were all swordsdwarfs still armed with their silver training swords. (Still irksome, though. Also I felt bad when I saw the dead dwarfs. :( )
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 3842