Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121376 times)

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #375 on: December 01, 2009, 05:28:22 pm »

Starting a new fort using this nifty new thing called the Site Finder! You know, guys, this could really be useful! Looking for a nice new dwarfy site: underground river, no aquifer, magma pipe (my first time with that), and HFS (also my first; spoiled it for myself). Wish me luck, and may Armok deliver me on to glory or a dwarvenly death!

EDIT: Misfired and hit the embark button before assigning skills. I have 7 peasants now. And at least 5 fire imps in an exposed magma vent. Great.

LOL, nice one. I played on a similar site earlier today, though I managed to place the skill points before embarking. For awesomeness, I decided to dig into the mountain next to the vent, giving me a magma-filled courtyard, with only a thin ledge to go around it. My dwarves were hurrying back and forth across the ledge, kittens in tow. I took a peek into the vent and saw that a whole family of fire imps where lurking just below surface. There wasn't much to doo, other then to hope for the best. Of course, the worst happened when a fire imp suddenly emerged, sending a fireball straight into an unsuspecting kitten. I toggle my only dwarf with fighting the capabilities - the woodcutter - to military and send it after the imp. However, I underestimated this particular dwarf's sense of duty, as he promtly dove after the Imp in to the vent. A puff of smoke preceeded the death-message.

edit - spellingz
"It's unpossible!"

yarm102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 01, 2009, 08:11:22 pm »

Ah, the lovely zwergburg of Broerhoef (Brotherhoof)

i'm currently waiting for the masons to complete the walkway on the curtain wall which surrounds my lower entrance. by sheer luck i appear to have chosen the wussiest of the three dwarven civs that exist near my location. 120 dwarves in, and i've only had a dungeon keeper show up.

i have successfully surrounded my upper entrance with a curtain wall and a moat of magma (convenient access to the pipe). it's the glass/metal industrial centre and soon to be residence for the nobles and admin types.

it's quite a busy neighbourhood where i'm sited. there are 3 wood elven civs (latin speaking hippies who live in forest retreats), 2 elven civs (latin speaking elves who live on the plains in sedentary states), 3 dwarven civs, 1 kobold civ and 1 hobgoblin civ (large, plains dwelling gobins) which hates my guts. i've had 3 hobgoblin sieges so far and numerous ambushes. they are persistent if somewhat slow on the uptake.

the kobolds were also very busy for a while. lots of thieves. no ambushes, so far. this may or may not be related to the fact that in the local dwarven dialect, "kobold" has become another name for "dogfood". 

apart from the wreckage of 3 failed sieges, it's very picturesque by the lower edge, with the fortified entrance sited next to a babbling brook, in a warm, subtropical area with no beri-beri or malaria. lots of wildlife to eat (most of which has been eaten - lots of delicious game birds - geese and peacocks - topped with cranberry sauce, followed by blueberry biscuits with redcurrant jam).

life is good.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 01, 2009, 09:11:04 pm »

Construction of the dome continues, and the farming issue has been resolved by digging out some soil up by the surface. Not optimal, but it will work. Mined out a magnetite node with platinum and mithril in it, which should make a nice room for someone/thing.

The industrial areas have been dug out and smoothed, and the dwarves are busily mining out and smoothing the stockpile areas. These will have an outlet next to the trade depot, streamlining production. I will have the middle of the workshop floor be a clear glass office for the foreman/trader/accountant, so that all production will be monitored closely.

Construction of the waterfall is on hold while I work on the walls and dome; I'll want to dig out the residential layers first, just in case the waterfall ends up flooding the caldera. If it looks like it will, I should build a clear glass 'habitrail' so that there are shortcuts from the west side (residential) to the east(industrial). I should do that anyway. It'll be pretty, and very useful. Also a good use of all these damn trees.

Currently, I'm unable to get dwarf companion to work (installing all the modules is made more difficult by the appropriate download link being down) so I can't get my eternally flying royal guard to land.

But I won't be done by the time that the new release comes out; I suppose I'll just need to take my lessons from the construction of Rockhome and apply them to my future fortresses.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #378 on: December 01, 2009, 10:25:40 pm »

Constructing a near complete above ground fort, going to harness the magma pool just beneath the sands surface though. Also thinking of doing major terrain changes for "just because". Need to make some permanant housing for all my dwarves, at 93 dwarves and all I have nobles wise is a mayor and my original guy who does all the accounting stuff. Also a smooth road around the end to stop the wagons from not being able to show up. Got my fort all the way up to the max z-level already, only 15 above ground z's though.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 02, 2009, 12:50:08 am »

I've just nabbed myself my first fire imp! Now to reload the trap and wait for my mason to get well, and then we're gonna be ready to do it all again!
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 02, 2009, 12:59:01 am »

I've just nabbed myself my first fire imp! Now to reload the trap and wait for my mason to get well, and then we're gonna be ready to do it all again!

How are you doing it now? Curious since your mason seems to be getting in the line of fire.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 02, 2009, 01:20:38 am »

^I was putting up a wall around the vent at the time, planning on leaving a single gap to put a trap in afterward. Poor Īteb had finished building a section when one of the three resident imps popped up. She ran down the single-tile corridor, where it spat fire at her the step before springing the trap that had been set there. I now have one fire imp in a -copper cage-, a bunch of unfinished wall sections around the vent, and a mason laid up in bed with a broken arm and femur. The corridor trap is reloaded, and my mechanic is loading up the one to go in the gap as we speak (just building the wall around it). So that's how my mason got injured, and why her recovery would be helpful.

ED: Speaking of, does the wall have to be tight around the vent, or no?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:48:00 am by MelloHero »
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 02, 2009, 04:34:24 pm »

A blue dragon has shown up.  And then promptly flew into the air and it's brain shut off, so I am going to make my first megabeast capture and tame attempt.

Building a small structure with cage traps at the entrance, I will send some bait out to reactivate the dragon and the bait will run into the structure, hopefully caging the dragon... here goes...

EDIT: ah crap, alarm ringing to tell me to go to school.  I'll have to leave it as a cliffhanger.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:41:08 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 02, 2009, 04:52:57 pm »

I just had my very first siege!!  I've been playing this game for over a year and this is the first time it happened.  I thought I was avoiding them by keeping my population low but apparently that's not the case.  I guess I just never accumulated enough wealth until now.

It wasn't a very big siege.  About a dozen to 15 humans showed up.  Surprisingly they all skipped right past my traps and right into my fort...where my 2 champion swords-dwarves were waiting.  It was an absolute slaughter.  The few humans that survived the initial onslaught darted out of my fortress as fast as they could but didn't make it very far.  Dead bodies are everywhere.  Truly a fantastic battle.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 02, 2009, 05:43:13 pm »

After finally completing the 12 story hammer made entirely of gold in my courtyard I thought it was about time I pulled the plug in spectacular fashion. As my fortress was mostly located on one level at the surface I set my dwarves to dig out all the rock below and then channel a complete circle around the fortress. It took a solid 5 minute pause for my computer to calculate the entire cave-in, around 170 dwarves were crushed instantly. All that's is a gigantic crater with a wall around it. the hammer still stand in the now defunct courtyard as testament to the glory days of the great fortress Matchedpillar.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 02, 2009, 05:58:49 pm »

Embarked in a fairly lackluster dolomite biome. There's a grand total of four veins of iron in 7 layers of dolomite, and no other metals. Just a metric fuckton of talc. My dwarves will never chafe. Ever.

On the bright side, the layers under have a good mix of other metals. Lots of tetrahedrite, native copper, sphalerite, galena, and hopefully some cassiterite in the granite, plus gold. Looks like I'll be importing a lot of orc steel though, not much to work with here.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 02, 2009, 07:27:59 pm »

Elves dropped by with nothing but wood, cloth, and some berries. Those assholes. I'll give them one last chance to redeem themselves (as much as non-Cacame elves can do so) by bringing wooden weapons for sparring or awesome animals. If they don't, I'll begin my elf genocide.

Speaking of sparring, my dwarves seem to have forgotten how not to kill themselves. Even with armor -- even better than the ones I had for my slightly-less-battered first recruits, even with silver weapons, I've gotten three nerve injuries this year, two of them Champions (a super-dwarvenly tough wrestler, and the wrestler/macedwarf that probably hit her). None of them are paralyzed or anything, and I'm considering cross-training one or two into marksdwarfship, but now I can't really raise my Female Founder Champion to, say, 77 level in wrestling. Unless I get some prisoners. She's doing well chatting it up with people, though, and just reached Ultra-Mighty as I was typing (she was already Perfectly Agile from being a bookkeeper).

Goblins skipped me over for the summer. Hm. I'm at 101 dwarves now, though, albeit with only one immigrant noble (the DM, thankfully), so they're definitely planning something. That, or a megabeast is thinking about harassing everyone.

EDIT: One couple just popped out yet another kid (their third, not counting the one they migrated in with, who is currently the mayor). Named him after the first expedition leader, who was one of the ones to die horribly in the first goblin ambush.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:37:45 pm by A-chana »

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 02, 2009, 07:30:11 pm »

Got my first artifact which yielded a legendary engraver with the creativity of a plump helmet, caught the second fire imp, and my hunter, who was going into the area to pick up equipment one-shotted (one-shot?) the third one. Carving out a meeting hall/zoo in an impractically-long hallway, might put a water feature in the middle. Found the underground river, also, so once the farm is expanded, bedrooms built, and tower-cap farm started, I won't need any outside influence at all, and could even give consideration to a megaproject!

EDIT: Capitalization.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:42:45 pm by MelloHero »

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 02, 2009, 07:53:54 pm »

Embarking on an ocean + Just enough booze to keep my starting 7 alive until the next caravan + unexpected rush of 40 immigrants (>.<) = desperate rush to get a well over the ocean working

End result? I finish the well, just as all but 6 dwarves die of thirst. Fortunately, all but one of them manage to survive until I get another immigration wave (the last one being lost to a berserk rage followed swiftly by a pick to the face).

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #389 on: December 02, 2009, 09:37:31 pm »

Sigh. My Founder/Trader/Mayor just ran outside to collect some bit of refuse (I guess) and walked right into a Goblin ambush. He ran away, and triggered -two more- ambushes before finally being cut down. As an added bonus, pissed off the visiting Human diplomat in the process.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 3842