Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121176 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #360 on: November 30, 2009, 09:29:09 pm »

I've found a strange affinity for perfectly flat areas. I will now build a fort with wooden houses outside, soil hovels inside, and the royal rooms in the Cacamite (modded high value layer ore) layers.
I named it StoneDeep.

there is currently, oh, 100 stone.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 01, 2009, 03:49:04 am »

I just captured my first dragon. I plan to chain it up and feed it kittens. Kittens are the food of champions.

It took three attempts however. The first two times the dragon incinerated my exterior bridges as I was trying to tempt it onto the cage traps. I could have just killed it, but I wanted a trophy damnit!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 01, 2009, 04:21:55 am »

Welll...

Straight after embark i went to a site that looked nice...

Half way through digging an entrace i saw on the screen

Ambush!
Or w/e the full message is

Well it turns out to be a giant cave spider being revealed by a giant eagle.
Two more giant eagles come to try to eat the spider but instead the giant cave spider eats the three eagles and all without a scratch on itself.

When i finished digging my entrance i tunneled down and found a magma pit RIGHT under where i planned my staircase.s..

Well i moved and have now created a pit entrance and planning on going to get that gcs later.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 01, 2009, 04:29:38 am »

I had a really nice fort going into it's second summer or autumn, and my laptop died! Luckily, DF was able to restore from my computer entering sleep mode (once charged) with no problems, which is somewhat rare for most games. Anyways, I had finally dug out my dwarf sleeping areas, assigned a military, and had my fledgling textile, gem, and metal industries take off. I was feeling pretty pumped, but the framerate eventually started lagging a bit, and eventually Windows had to step in and tell me to close the DF, making me lose it.  :-\

Buuut, it was great while it lasted.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
?trof ruoy ni no gniog s'tahW :eR
« Reply #364 on: December 01, 2009, 05:17:21 am »

Tower cap farm is maybe 2/3 drained. 40x40 area, 5z high, with 18 squares being used by stairs and 6 by walls/floodgates, making... 7976 useable space. I'm excited for these guys to start growing!

Also finished the park. Planted an artifact statue to designate the whole thing as a statue garden, and wondering how to lay out a small road path across it, possibly with a mini stream and bridge or two. Will have to work on it some other time; it's getting late.

Managed to trade for some silver nuggets so I can now fill my count's sterling silver item mandates. Sadly, after mandating cave crocodile leather items, the tax collector decided to go for a swim in the waterfall. Meanwhile, I still love my hammerer who still has no recent events except "Hood is ecstatic. Hood made a friend recently. Hood talked with a friend recently," and my mayor who continues to demand barrels to be made and not exported.

Engineering room is also complete, with the permaflow set up for a potential 4000 power produced, with another 5000 if I ditch aesthetics and remove the nice-looking bridges. Only have four waterwheels thus far though. Gotta get them towercaps a-growing.

I'm considering making each dwarf a guild based on job type and an office therein, suited with some things they like. mostly for aesthetics, so my master engineer will have a windowed office overlooking the power plant as well as a few unused workshops for the sake of looking important.

Hoo boy. Still a ton of work to do. I should get some sleep; tomorrow I need to shift my focus.

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 01, 2009, 09:05:42 am »

I just got the most pimped out Hamlet liaison ever. Maxed (displayed) in all stats, ultra-mighty etc. I wanted to see what skills he had, so I used dwarf companion, and it turns out he's (if I understand the values right) legendary in 5 skills, grand master in 4, then a couple of adept and lower skills.

I wish I could keep him :(

Oh, and the dwarven caravan just killed 4 ambushes, one of which was single handedly killed by one of their marksdwarves, who also crippled a goblin that had been hunting one of my 2 legendary miners around for like 5-10 minutes. I ended up having to draft the miner and have him kill the goblin, because he was apparently scared to death of running past the unconscious, slowly-bleeding-to-death goblin.

Also just got my first magma forges and smelters up. There is so much iron and flux on this map, its insane. I have over 3k magnetite ore dug out, and I've found 6-7 untapped magnettie clusters, and a bunch of limonite veins as well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:15:21 am by Dachande »

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 01, 2009, 12:28:27 pm »

Starting a new fort using this nifty new thing called the Site Finder! You know, guys, this could really be useful! Looking for a nice new dwarfy site: underground river, no aquifer, magma pipe (my first time with that), and HFS (also my first; spoiled it for myself). Wish me luck, and may Armok deliver me on to glory or a dwarvenly death!

EDIT: Misfired and hit the embark button before assigning skills. I have 7 peasants now. And at least 5 fire imps in an exposed magma vent. Great.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:10:05 pm by MelloHero »
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 01, 2009, 01:00:39 pm »

Right when I was expecting (and wanted) the dwarven caravan, a siege popped up. I knew there were a few bowgobs (and an elite bowgob local leader), so I set my 9 champs (one is a kid who came of age two years ago) in a phalanx style formation (in my mind anyways), three dwarves per square in a three square strip, at the entrance so that there would be at least 2 layers of protection since all had shields. I put them just around the corner until the gobbos had killed some of their numbers (there was a weaponlord leading the first group to get to my traps), and then stationed them up front. They all did fine. The junior champ I recruited after I found out that one of my champs wasn't sparring due to a brain wound. The brain injured champ is still a hyperlegendary wrestler and has some skill in shield, so he can handle an ambush alone. The guy basically incapacitated them all out and then took his time kiiling them, lol.

However, the bowgobs found my open roofed 'courtyard' and procceeded to open fire. I scrambled to get everybody inside, but they continued to shoot through the stairwell. There was lots of blood, lots of broken arrows, some animals and several dwarves died (including my DM) and some others are still resting as of early winter. Nobody important got killed.

Anyways, I went and made some hatches to cover that weak point, set up the orphaned kid of a dwarf who lost an eye and had a neck wound but kept going unconscious and I had to.... euthanize..... as a mason so that he would get a bit of skill there and at least have a future. I also set up some other haulers to train up as masons as I had a surplus, plus I wanted to get some chalk blocks. Later I'll train up my mechanics somewhat, but have them use some other stone.

In other news, I decided to go and start digging out my pump stack area and started up construction of screw pump parts. The bowyer which had mooded earlier went beserk, tried to go after a muskox, but I had the three champs who were in the dining hall with the said beserker go and stop him, with the help of a few dogs even though they didn't need the help.

I've also started smelting some tetrahedrite so that I can make some silver weapons.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 01, 2009, 01:18:11 pm »

Just ran out of coal. Let the deforestation commence!

Am I right in thinking that the elves won't whine at me if I turn enough of the wood to charcoal before they arrive?

Also moved some workshops and stockpiles inside to make room for a big ammo stockpile in the yard.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:21:07 pm by Quantum Toast »
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 01, 2009, 01:32:50 pm »

Am I right in thinking that the elves won't whine at me if I turn enough of the wood to charcoal before they arrive?

Also moved some workshops and stockpiles inside to make room for a big ammo stockpile in the yard.

I generally only use wood to make fuel for forges unless I get lucky and find some coal in the mines.  I've never had any problems with the elves.  I think as long as you don't mark a large chunk of the map for wood cutting you'll be fine.

Voltaggia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 01, 2009, 01:36:28 pm »

Fended off two goblin ambushes, both led by dwarves (Snatchers were probably busy in some other places...). One of them took out my only legendary marksdwarf.

Now the progress has ground to a halt, since most of the dwarves are busy hauling the corpses and their clothing to the stockpiles to be sold to caravans, melted down or turned into bone bolts.

And I also ran out of coal. I still got three barrels of coke, though, so I probably have enough time to find another vein.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 01, 2009, 01:38:53 pm »

I generally only use wood to make fuel for forges unless I get lucky and find some coal in the mines.  I've never had any problems with the elves.  I think as long as you don't mark a large chunk of the map for wood cutting you'll be fine.
Actually, as long as you agree to their demands and the liaison & diplomat don't get dead (or too terribly harassed), you're fine.  You can chop as much wood as you want. 

Just assure them that you'll stick to their demand, then don't.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 01, 2009, 02:05:32 pm »

Restarted the fortress in a new, slightly less dwarfy location. Everyone's got their skills now, and I saved on points by bringing 2 copper nuggets and an anvil instead of the pick and axe. No HFS this time since I couldn't find a spot with it, magma, and an underground river withing feasible distance of each other. Now on a 4x4 area with river and magma I was starting nice and serious, but then I gave in to my inner giggling schoolboy and named my fortress Danglestones the Shriveled Sack of Balls.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:44:16 pm by MelloHero »
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 01, 2009, 02:54:41 pm »

My fort is in a desert lol, well half of it is desert but I really don't want to risk too much on woodcutters getting ganked by an ambush and am trying to get my TC farm set up. Maybe if I turn invasions off for a while and clearcut the area.....

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 01, 2009, 04:20:49 pm »

Yeah, it's apparently purely based on the number of loose logs you have on your map. Unsure if it matters whether they're stockpiled or not, but if you use them up as you cut them down you shouldn't have a problem.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 3842