Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3804 3805 [3806] 3807 3808 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118026 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57075 on: January 04, 2023, 05:21:38 pm »

Game crashed while saving last night. Save presumed corrupted.

It was mostly to test to see if spellcrafts was working correctly. Maybe I'll load from the auto save, but I could just start a new game.

I had a team of like 10 monster hunters and found there's no safety check on disbanding squads, which I did like 3 times.

The gnolls tried to steal from us again though. Militia wasn't fast enough to catch them. No ambush this time either. Would like to see how they deal with steel-clad dwarves. The militia doesn't yet have training, so they'd probably have the upper hand.

The last ambush was eliminated by visitors over the course of a week or so. Single squad of bowmen, got smacked around by half a dozen visitors. Every time they killed one another would show up. Human swordsman finished them off just before a migrant wave showed up. Then I locked a swarm of agitated giant flies away in an empty corridor to keep the wildlife from spawning more. They gave birth to kids right before the crash too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57076 on: January 04, 2023, 06:43:26 pm »

Heh, it seems that dwarves that you expelled can return.
I expelled a monster hunter, because he was red face unhappy.

He just came back, and rejoined as a full citizen (no longer a monster hunter). He also gained Legendary animal dissector skill in the few months that he was away.

The alert message said 'The Poet Urist McUrist and the Axedwarf Zasit McZasit have returned'.
Axedwarf Zasit immediatly became a full citizen, with the message 'Zasit McZasit has become an animal dissector.
Urist McUrist however did not become a full citizen, but instead petitioned for 'sanctuary', which I turned down. First time I ever saw that petition.
I'm not sure if Poet McUrist was also expelled from the fort, I did expel one more dwarf but forgot who.

Zasit McZasit is still redface unhappy and stressed. But perhaps now that he is full citizen, doing some actual work and admiring our crappy dining room will make him happier.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57077 on: January 05, 2023, 12:55:17 am »

I've been on a slow burn with my current fort because I've done nothing but cut gems trying to get a large gem or gem craft. The bug is probably bothering me more than it should.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57078 on: January 05, 2023, 05:40:02 am »

I just had an artifact perfect ruby gem cut, and it shows up in the large gems list.  No normal large gems yet for me neither though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57079 on: January 05, 2023, 06:42:34 am »

My fort is currently mourning (or more likely, celebrating) my abscence, because I am hanging out in the title screen for longer than strictly nescessary to listen to the (new version of the) old theme song. I haven't heard it played during fort mode, is it not in the playlist?

Speaking of music songs, I find one of the new background musics to really remind me of the Rimworld theme. It's most definitly not the same tune, but it has the same vibe. If intentionally so, well done composer!

EDIT: a baron consort asked for monster slaying residence. Now I would usually tell him to bugger off, but hey.. Legendary Dodger. Sure!
I might banish him and see if he will also return as a full citizen.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:51:26 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57080 on: January 05, 2023, 04:49:18 pm »

My fort is currently mourning (or more likely, celebrating) my abscence, because I am hanging out in the title screen for longer than strictly nescessary to listen to the (new version of the) old theme song. I haven't heard it played during fort mode, is it not in the playlist?

It's not on the playlist apparently, the only one of the 15 tracks missing. However, I'm not sure if adding it would help, I've heard it's impossible to change music for now. Personally I decry the lack of proper gamelog.txt (most of info is not dumped here, unlike in classic version) which prevents use of soundsense.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57081 on: January 05, 2023, 06:03:30 pm »

Finally, year 3, the first elf visitor.
I was starting to wonder if the elf access I embarked with wasn't working.
She's a Legendary Soaper... Is that the new word for Soapmaker or is there a new skill that involves using soap on others?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57082 on: January 05, 2023, 06:19:22 pm »

Hmmm. CTD for no apparent reason. Just watching my dwarves do their thing not pressing any buttons.

EDIT: judging by how far back in time that threw me, it could very well have been the auto-save that CTD'd
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:54:00 pm by martinuzz »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57083 on: January 05, 2023, 10:20:20 pm »

The drawbridge is closed and dorfs are happily dancing and drinking their first winter away. Successful set up and enough booze to last until summer.

Visiting "Monster Slayer Necromancer" wants to come in. Don't care, probably a spy anyhow.

Cyclops attack! Don't care, pass the sewer brew and get simulating some wind instruments fellas!

Muffled screaming from outside. Yup, necromancer was a spy, his smashed body registers his true name. Brought a tourist guide to the Tower. Will put that in the library next year some time unless the keas swipe it in the meantime.

Life is good.

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57084 on: January 05, 2023, 10:58:21 pm »

I'm making an attempt at a generational, above-ground fort. Based the layout on the viking ring fortresses & Trelleborg specifically - circular walls, two intersecting roads dividing the circle into quadrants, four longhouses per quadrant in a square shape, a courtyard between the longhouses with ancillary structures - originally I was going for the actual dimensions of the real fort (based on the assumed 2.4x2.4x3m dimensions of a DF tile) but had to fudge the numbers a bit to make it functional - DF walls are thick! Although the actual fort was probably for purely military purpose, most of my longhouses are workshops, one's a barn, one's a mine entrance, etc. Thinking about trying to make a bailey kind of like Trelleborg's, but if you look it up, you'll see why that's not gonna look good in Dwarf Fortress so I'll have to make my own thing up there.
 I have 49 dwarves: twenty or so from the first two migrant waves (after which I set the soft pop cap to 1), eight children born in the fort to the sole married couple (who are also the duke/duchess consort), two mercenaries, a bard-turned-visitor, and the remainder are workers request from holdings, who unfortunately all are listed as 'merchants' and cannot be added to military squads. Oddly they all became available as workers right after the dwarven caravan leaves each time and have no relations - probably they're generated for the caravan, then become histfigs. Thinking about expelling all those jerks and going back to about 30 dwarves.

Not a lot of excitement in the fort - biome is a wilderness taiga - had some bears the first couple years, a small dingo attack, one visitor was a weretortoise (now immortalized in a statue depicting him being cursed by Durpul, the god of sacrifice) and was dispatched immediately by the duke himself - and one of the requested workers/merchants stole my artifact crossbow and handed it off (I think) before the sheriff caught up to him. Never breached the caverns, don't plan to (Still 50.04, of course). The elves went to war with my civ after we traded a few times, so we made contact, but haven't sent anybody so far. No kobold thieves, no goblin snatchers, nothing. Really was hoping for someone to try to breach my walls, traps & ditch. Hit the top wealth/trade enemy triggers a while ago but nothing's come of it.

Could someone tell me how to attach an image to a post so I can show off this baby?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57085 on: January 06, 2023, 12:33:55 am »

To attach an image to a post, you have to host it on another site, such as imgur, then paste a direct link to the image here. Then you can either manually type in the image tags, or highlight the URL and press the insert image button.

For example, this line below:
Code: [Select]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/MIGx6Rh.png[/url]
Will become this image.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 01:27:39 am by BlackFlyme »

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57086 on: January 06, 2023, 02:32:42 am »

Thanks for the tip!

Here's a ground level and elevated screengrab to show the sloped roofs

I also grouped the buildings by function - top right quadrant has the temple-tomb-hospital building, the duke's family's home, the dining room/food storage/dorms, and the jail and barracks. Clockwise from there, the next quadrant is devoted to fine crafts - clothing, gems, metalcrafting, and glass blowing. The next quadrant is for agriculture, food production, and tool stockpiles, and the upper left quadrant is devoted to construction - carpentry, stoneworks, kilns pumping out bricks, and wood burning and the ashery. I also have a nice wall with ramps leading up to fortifications, a ditch, and a few traps around the perimeter which mostly catch reindeer.

Pretty darn happy with how it turned out architecturally and it has these nice geometric shapes - once I saw how nicely oriented the viking ring fortesses were I had to recreate it!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 02:38:52 am by NPK »

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57087 on: January 06, 2023, 11:15:40 am »

Good news: Badger bomb worked, giant taken care of.

Bad news: Badgers. Badgers everywhere.

In other news recent design upgrades and possibly the update have greatly improved FPS. We have not forgotten the basement expedition however, I will not be mocked.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #57088 on: January 06, 2023, 07:06:59 pm »

Bedroom grid.

Where do you live? Row 7, room 4, right past Obok's room.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 07:10:40 pm by darkhog »
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57089 on: January 07, 2023, 01:32:56 am »

The Planning Bureau for Human Rights has noted that you are spoiling your dwarves with 3x3 rooms. Please undo this work of evil, before my dwarves start thinking they are entitled to a similar sized room. That would just be too cruel.

Pages: 1 ... 3804 3805 [3806] 3807 3808 ... 3842