Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3803 3804 [3805] 3806 3807 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118183 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57060 on: January 01, 2023, 10:55:27 pm »

Channeling deep pits out is markedly harder than I remember it being, because every time a miner gets hungry or thirsty they try to climb 10+ z-levels to get out, hit the smooth walls at the top, and then splatter next to their harder-working friends at the bottom.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57061 on: January 01, 2023, 11:04:12 pm »

I'd forgotten that channeling can be dangerous.  I had a miner break her hand in my current fort while trying to flatten some terrain.  I'm not completely sure what I did wrong since it's normally safe.  Maybe trying to designate multiple z-level channeling leads to collapses.

I just had a miner flash freeze in my moat too.  It pays to remember that you're in a freezing biome...

Otherwise, in my current fort I was up to about 52 kobolds (modded, not Kobold Kamp) when I finally got confirmation that the goblins knew I was around.  I kind of hate that the current version doesn't pause for snatchers, since a snatcher got a kid and escaped with him before I even knew one had been spotted.  I tried changing the announcement configurations but obviously didn't set it up right.

The fort is going nicely otherwise.  I've got nice wood, stone and metalworking industries set up along with my other aboveground constructions.  By now I've shaken most of the rust off of my knowledge of how the game plays, and have started picking up bits that I never really learned since I stopped playing before they were added, like taverns.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57062 on: January 02, 2023, 02:31:39 am »

Welp.

I think my current fort is on a world with NO goblins or elves. That explains why no elf caravan came and why I haven't been invaded by any goblins for three years. All elf retreats say "no civilized population" and there's only three civs listed on the [c] menu (2 dwarven and 1 human). I've been training my military for basically no reason.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57063 on: January 02, 2023, 01:27:31 pm »

Well, today I learned the hard way about the mechanic where mass deforestation leads to 'agitated' animals.

...in an Untamed Wilds.

Yeah, my military and my butchers are gonna be busy. Anybody know how long the agitated critters keep coming?
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57064 on: January 02, 2023, 01:51:43 pm »

As far as I know they never stop.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57065 on: January 02, 2023, 03:46:39 pm »

You can stop them by trapping one of the groups alive in a section of corridor and walling it off. As long as it's never caged it will qualify as a wild animal group on the map and prevent others from spawning.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57066 on: January 02, 2023, 08:12:05 pm »

But why would you say no to free meat with home delivery?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57067 on: January 02, 2023, 09:19:40 pm »

Sometimes you need time to train more master meat-smiths to deal with the influx if they're particularly large deliveries.  You wouldn't want overflows in the more sensitive areas of the fort. 

Right now, I have a squad training full time on the surface with some walls around a wagon ramp into the ground.  A couple cage traps manage the unexpected meat deliveries, while the sword masters handle the larger orders.  The wildlife is a bit much for just 3 dwarves, so I'm trying to postpone agitating them just yet.  Though the boost to the meat industry would be nice, it might require either a larger or a much better trained crew than the current lot.

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57068 on: January 02, 2023, 10:13:46 pm »

I somehow keep running nearly out of food. My farm should get me some stuff, thankfully, but I guess in my rush to cook lavish meals to trade later I used up all the meat I bought. I'm definitely going to buy as much meat as I can next caravan.

A clerk in my fortress got possessed and claimed a craftsdwarf's shop, asking for metal, stone, and thread. I had no thread (somehow) so I just walled him in. I'll make a slab after he dies I guess, lol. Given that it was a possession and he's a useless noble (seriously what does a clerk actually do) I don't feel very emotional about his eventual death.

EDIT: Wait a Clerk is a bookkeeper? Well then. I'm pretty sure I already had a bookkeeper already? I dunno when this useless asshole came but he won't be missed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 10:16:00 pm by YashaAstora »

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57069 on: January 03, 2023, 01:29:10 pm »

You can stop them by trapping one of the groups alive in a section of corridor and walling it off. As long as it's never caged it will qualify as a wild animal group on the map and prevent others from spawning.
It could be due to spanning three different wild biomes (a UW desert in the north, a Joyous Wilds volcano in the middle, and UW grasslands in the south), but it's throwing two and sometimes even three batches at me. Fortunately, around the time I made the earlier post, two of them (a giant rattlesnake and a giant snail) got stuck in trees, so now all I have to deal with is the occasional third pack showing up. The Agitated Mountain Gnomes were particularly amusing, as they all got beaten to death by haulers and children before I could even order my military into action :D

Because I have plenty of food, but had to shut down my anti-cave-adaptation (i.e. outdoor) meeting area due to giant birds disembowling the dwarves that use it :(
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57070 on: January 03, 2023, 06:06:37 pm »

Ahh, the joys of werebeasts... I had a peculiar incident today where i've got a small Goblin invasion and thought for myself, great, let them come in. Well seconds later they started fighting and blood started to spill. First i thought they fought among themself which might be odd enough, but no. Combat reports showed that they were fighting a Wererhinoceros.

And a sight to behold it was, because the little army dropped very quickly, one at a time until there was nothing but corpses and pools of blood.

Thing is, the were creature was completely invisible, not listed anywhere in the unit lists and yet the invaders saw it and got butchered by the invisible menace like it was friday.

I know that were creatures can enter the map unseen like thiefs and ambushes and only become visible when a dwarf or animal spots them. Which i assume was the case here. Still, that the invaders on my site didnt reveal the thing i found somewhat peculiar. I admit 'tho, there's something fascinating about watching a horde of goblins suddenly exploding into pools of blood, gore and flying organs, one head at a time for no visible reason...

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57071 on: January 04, 2023, 02:39:49 am »

Still, that the invaders on my site didnt reveal the thing i found somewhat peculiar.

Peculiar indeed. And funny in a morbid way. Did the werecreature change into the normal human (or whatever) and revealed itself, or simply wandered off, still unseen? I think they may change without revealing.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57072 on: January 04, 2023, 03:11:46 am »

It remained unseen even after the presumed change, soo yea, no idea at all who it was.

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57073 on: January 04, 2023, 11:45:36 am »

Recently had a similar werebeast encounter. He got into a fight with an intelligent undead who was fleeing arrest. Despite the latter being unarmed she eventually prevailed, leaving me nothing but a weremongoose corpse.

We are finally the Mountain Home... even though the queen has been living here for like, four years. Mist generators are online now with more machinery to follow and the Great Work (5X7 magma cast surface wall) is underway. However, we face a great danger, batmen induced FPS death. The queen will lead an expedition to clean and renovate the basement just as soon as Armok gets back from the office. With that done it will be time to dig deep and learn about all this new HFS.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57074 on: January 04, 2023, 01:18:45 pm »

Zinga Radirusna, Soldier Of Rocksink Bard is visiting

A small eyeless humanoid. It has large mandibles. It's black skin is warty. This night creature was first created by the dwarven necromancer Doren Rocksink of Paddledone after horrible experiments on dwarves in Crestedrock in the year 84.

It is quite clumsy

Wow, my first night creature ever! I didn't know they could arrive as friendly guest. Let's see if it will ask for residency.

EDIT: yay, it did. I now have a night creature bard.

EDIT: Oh, how nice! It even does useful things, like making lye and hauling stuff. So does my recently acquired Gorlak poet. His poetry is only slightly less horrible than Vogon poetry though. Is this new for the Steam version, or could humanoid non player race residents do jobs before?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 04:21:35 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3803 3804 [3805] 3806 3807 ... 3842