Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3772 3773 [3774] 3775 3776 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118479 times)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56595 on: May 01, 2022, 08:31:23 pm »

Just started a ‘tiny fort’. Got the pop cap screwed down to 7. I’ve also set the fps to 50 while I get the fort dug out and everything running nicely.
The plan is then to dial the fps back up and hope for some families to start germinating.

I’ve put all of them into an axe/shield squad, but I’m wondering if it would be better to have a mix of weapons to cover a broader spectrum? Maybe Axe/Spear/Sword/Hammer/Axe and a second squad with two crossbows? Or with such a small population maybe I should just burrow down!

What are you planning on facing?

Our personal Advice is to burrow down, but then again We've never been skilled at forming or equipping a proper Military and generally reply on sheer Numbers to kill Foes.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56596 on: May 03, 2022, 10:17:55 am »

Had no shells in inventory and a moody dworf required shells. So we drafted a papermaker as a miner to tunnel to the trapped web-spitting bloated quadruped with a huge shell. The trusting dorf approached the crowd of armored militia waiting in the cave near her assigned training area, she was probably starting to get suspicious as she pushed through the crowd... "I've never mined before!" she nervously said. Some of the newer fighters snickered and said they were only there just to protect her as she learned to use the pick.

She broke through the tunnel deep in the cavern and was immediately webbed and kicked to death, poor Tosid. One of those new fighters also perished... so sad.

It was then I noticed the beast was composed of glass.

Population -2 to 394.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56597 on: May 03, 2022, 03:07:03 pm »

A web-spinning hill titan attacked, killing my whole fortress as I was unable to defend. Eh, was starting to be bored of it. At least had my first fortress collapse.

It was freakishly fast. It was a towering dingo, and they are fast animals. Does that makes a difference?

Now that entire fort is covered in webs, like how the spiders intended it to be.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56598 on: May 04, 2022, 09:26:46 pm »

We hit 400 population.

A dwarf in prison (chained) in an unlocked cell has been trying to "attend meeting" for weeks. 
The mayor waits in the mayor's office trying to "conduct meeting" for a while, then leaves, then returns repeatedly. 
I'm assuming this might be a known bug, but don't remember hearing of it and searching forum & web doesn't find it.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56599 on: May 06, 2022, 11:40:39 am »

I have encountered that one before. Its been around for a couple of years at least.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56600 on: May 07, 2022, 11:58:12 am »

I discovered that cobaltite can't be smelted to cobalt bars. My dissapointment is immeasurable.

I also discovered a function in DFHack that allows whatever creature with speaking and learning tags you want to become your forts citizens. But not quite.

It makes them long-term residents, not guests. Which is a problem as player has limited control over those.

I always wanted to have animal people in my forts, so I made three great horned owl men long term residents of my fort. They were flying by and just stopped moving when they became civilised. They didn't enter they fort, they didn't flew down to eat or drink. I even tried "domesticating1" them with the help of another DFHack command. But nothing worked.

So I expelled them, which then they immidiately stared flying again, out of the map. But they were not animals anymore, I think. They registered as visitors in the units screen instead.

Why didn't they swoop down?

1) Game considers animal people as "wild".
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56601 on: May 07, 2022, 01:30:22 pm »

I discovered that cobaltite can't be smelted to cobalt bars. My dissapointment is immeasurable.

Historically, cobalt was used in ancient times in blue dyes and pigments, glass production, and in India to make blue tinted gold and silver, but wasn't recognized as a unique elemental metal until 1735, and historically had been confused with bismuth, or not known to produce useful known metals. Theoretically dwarves could smelt it with 14th century (df's cut-off timeframe) technology, might recognize it as a unique material, lore wise lots of people think dwarves should be extra good at metal and stone identification, but the arsenic gas cobaltite gives off would be lethal and kill your smelters. But lots of other gasses that heating ores gives off are also lethal and those don't kill our dwarves despite smelting in confined, poorly ventilated underground spaces. It's not like aluminum where you need electrical furnaces to smelt it, but it's not known from the 14th century back other than as a dangerous ore that you'd avoid smelting because of the evil spirits, kobolds, that it generated that would kill the smelter, or as pigment.

Lots of mods do let you smelt it, but I doubt Toady will implement it in vanilla.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56602 on: May 07, 2022, 06:35:17 pm »

...lore wise lots of people think dwarves should be extra good at metal and stone identification, but the arsenic gas cobaltite gives off would be lethal and kill your smelters. But lots of other gasses that heating ores gives off are also lethal and those don't kill our dwarves despite smelting in confined, poorly ventilated underground spaces. It's not like aluminum where you need electrical furnaces to smelt it, but it's not known from the 14th century back other than as a dangerous ore that you'd avoid smelting because of the evil spirits, kobolds, that it generated that would kill the smelter, or as pigment.

Hmm, makes sense. Even though dwarves should be immune to it as they are to lead and cinnabar.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #56603 on: May 08, 2022, 01:17:35 am »

So what I'm hearing is dwarves are nigh-immune to toxic gases, right?

That's a useful ability.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56604 on: May 09, 2022, 01:43:35 am »

Especially if you enjoy huffing weird shit

My dwarves huffed some cave-in dust recently, after a misplaced wall deconstruction designation on the turkey watch boxes on the walls left a floating pillar. A single turkey gobbler was crushed to death and a dwarf suffered a broken leg, after a four z-level fall through the farms and food stockpile
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 01:46:21 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #56605 on: May 09, 2022, 08:50:10 am »

I was thinking it could lead to some warcrimes !!FUN!! forms of siege defense.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56606 on: May 09, 2022, 06:52:46 pm »

But lots of other gasses that heating ores gives off are also lethal and those don't kill our dwarves despite smelting in confined, poorly ventilated underground spaces. It's not like aluminum where you need electrical furnaces to smelt it, but it's not known from the 14th century back other than as a dangerous ore that you'd avoid smelting because of the evil spirits, kobolds, that it generated that would kill the smelter, or as pigment.

Lots of mods do let you smelt it, but I doubt Toady will implement it in vanilla.
Lots of things that would kill humans don't kill dwarves (or the humans in the game for that matter).  For instance, there are no ill effects from drinking from lead or storing food in lead barrels, for burning wood to ash or charcoal in confined areas, and a number of other practices that would get OSHA sicced on you in the real world.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #56607 on: May 09, 2022, 06:59:01 pm »

Magma smelting comes to mind. Even setting aside the logistics of it, magma frequently releases toxic gases of its own IIRC. And is almost certainly against some OSHA violation or another.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56608 on: May 09, 2022, 10:55:06 pm »

I can't be the only one that was determined to fill a fort with masterwork lead goblets and toys.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56609 on: May 10, 2022, 01:32:49 am »

I’m currently being attacked by a giant featherless pterosaur, and I think I just atom-smashed the elven diplomat while trying to let him in…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: 1 ... 3772 3773 [3774] 3775 3776 ... 3842