Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3771 3772 [3773] 3774 3775 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118481 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56580 on: April 21, 2022, 04:14:09 pm »

Currently trying to drain/obsidianize the magma sea to get to the candy. Things've been progressing slowly since of course we have to smooth every passage of the waterworks and haul away all that stone. We just now had an... accident with magma. Our goblin mayor, who was a miner, managed to breach the magma from a safe spot as planned, but the idiot then decided to take a short cut back straight through the magma's flow path.

We now have a new mayor: Oda, the elf poet.

Your History must be rather interesting.  Did the Fort attract those Immigrants, or was it Something in the History of the Civ?

I haven't actually really checked the history. This started just as a casual fort after a many month break of playing DF. The elves and goblins living here are just visitors who've petitioned to stay at the fort and eventually were granted citizenship, so nothing spectacular there.

There seems to be a necromancer apocalypse beginning, judging by the amount of intelligent undead visiting and loads of fallen fortresses/retreats/cities on the world map. Seen quite a few animal person necromancers too. Currently we're pretty much holed up as we're constantly pestered by undead sieges and I have only a poorly trained militia (we lost almost all the good fighters, thanks to a webbing forgotten beast and an unexpected incident with fire imps).

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56581 on: April 22, 2022, 12:30:21 am »

... We think dwarfen Scratches may be a tad overpowered.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56582 on: April 22, 2022, 04:21:12 am »

Currently trying to drain/obsidianize the magma sea to get to the candy. Things've been progressing slowly since of course we have to smooth every passage of the waterworks and haul away all that stone. We just now had an... accident with magma. Our goblin mayor, who was a miner, managed to breach the magma from a safe spot as planned, but the idiot then decided to take a short cut back straight through the magma's flow path.

We now have a new mayor: Oda, the elf poet.
The digging diagonally upward from the top of a ramp a level below where you want to breach works.  I also usually put a bridge over it of a non-magma-safe substance so it dissolves eventually.  Then I also have a lever somewhere upstairs assigned so only they can pull it, and set a do it now task to pull it when they start digging.  The only time this didn't work was fairly recently when the dwarf decided it was a good idea to ignore the order and just fall asleep in front of oncoming magma.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56583 on: April 22, 2022, 04:07:49 pm »

The digging diagonally upward from the top of a ramp a level below where you want to breach works.

Yeah, it was my carelessness which caused the accident (and being a bit rusty, since haven't been playing with magma for some time).

The only time this didn't work was fairly recently when the dwarf decided it was a good idea to ignore the order and just fall asleep in front of oncoming magma.

"Oh look, this looks like a warm and cozy place to take a nap!"
--- Last words of Urist McDrowsy

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56584 on: April 25, 2022, 07:28:49 am »

Kol the stonecrafter, Kol the coward, Kol the misguided hero

Over a year ago a strange goblin showed up in the city of Swordburn.
He was able to enter as he officially declared himself a mercenary traveling and looking for rest, but he was also an undead. Most, but not all undead serve the necromancers who bring death and oppression to many corners of the world, but the fact that not all were meant, at least to an honorable dwarf's sensibilities, that all deserved a chance until proven one way or another! So the Fetid, and noticeably stinking, ghoul was allowed in.

Stonework is also the primary work source in swordburn. It's towers reach from the heights of the sky to the depths of the earth. Kol being one of those workers enjoyed an honorable place, but on that fateful day a year ago she was locked onto a darker path

The ghoul cornered her. It whispered of dark armies of the dead and the destruction of swordburn if she did not help him. The threat worked.
If she did not recover Gatiztenshed, the steel pick, for him he would kill her on that day and he would return with his master's army to wipe out all life here.

So she had no choice. She had gotten lucky in a way: The pick was laying on a crime scene currently, a lion man attempted to steal it, but now it was lying there until the investigation was cleared but there was no one guarding it. Still, an ill omen.

The ghoul, who went by Ilral, sat in the tavern waiting. He spoke with no one and no one sat near him thanks to his stench. She pulled out the pick to hand to him and only moments away from doing so two bolts flew from across the room. One struck the wall next to the goblin and the other near the dwarf
"Fool." the ghoul spoke. He attacked Kol who was able to throw up one punch in her defense only to be beaten severely. "Ilral" landed one single punch on her middle spine and broke it. She lay there helpless as the goblin beat her quickly and viciously. The guards had been rushing over to protect her, but the goblin was so fast that even by the time they reached them she was already lying in a pool of her blood

The guards dogpiled the goblin. Gatiztenshed's true owner was weaponless as well and tore the goblins shoulders out of their sockets as he was beat to death.

Kol is paralyzed for life, although she only had to endure a few months in prison. She is reviled for her actions by many of her fellow citizens although the interrogators know she only did so out of a desire to protect the fort.
Let this be a lesson to good dwarfs of Swordburn: The road to the underworld is paved with good intentions

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56585 on: April 25, 2022, 11:49:32 am »

FPS death claims another fort. New world, new fort...

So in a world where our ancestor had unleashed the circus, a webspinning red beryl Mountain Titan came by our fort and marched right on through our bridges before the drunk dorfs could get to the lever. There went our silk plans...

This quadruped, worshipped by two in the fort, would surely be the end of the fort, as we had no checker defense system in place. Long, wide corridors would not make for a good webber defense.

Sure enough, half of our hammerlords were pretty much screwed instantly. The beast god massacred its way down to the production floor, creating a bloodbath just outside our megakitchen.

...And the haulers were not happy about that.

Methinks now the titan's temple will have a golden pedestal.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56586 on: April 25, 2022, 01:27:18 pm »

So in a world where our ancestor had unleashed the circus, a webspinning red beryl Mountain Titan came by our fort and marched right on through our bridges before the drunk dorfs could get to the lever. There went our silk plans...

This quadruped, worshipped by two in the fort, would surely be the end of the fort, as we had no checker defense system in place. Long, wide corridors would not make for a good webber defense.

Sure enough, half of our hammerlords were pretty much screwed instantly. The beast god massacred its way down to the production floor, creating a bloodbath just outside our megakitchen.

We had a similar Experience (although Our Foe was composed of Flesh) not too long ago.  We suspect there have be a few Changes to unarmed Combat, because it used to be that unarmed Dwarfs could not kill Creatures of such Sizes, but merely render and keep them unconscious.

We find Numbers count for quite a bit in Combat, so that what would easily kill Two, or even Ten, Dwarfs falls to Thirty of them.  (Which may take some Time if, like Us, you are eternally short on Weaponry.)

As a side note, We set up the Hospital in Our current Fortress just in time.  Wild Capybaras are getting into Fights with Our Dwarfs.

... And Our Watchducks have spotted a Weretortoise.  We are going to need another Batch of Ducklings, but the Dwarfs are all inside anyway.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56587 on: April 25, 2022, 02:40:55 pm »

We had a similar Experience (although Our Foe was composed of Flesh) not too long ago.  We suspect there have be a few Changes to unarmed Combat, because it used to be that unarmed Dwarfs could not kill Creatures of such Sizes, but merely render and keep them unconscious.

Used to be the same for hammer and macedwarves. Pulping's wonderful in that respect. One of the first kills I got when it was implemented was a punch that caved in a bandit's torso through his chest plate. Sent his buddies scattering from the fort's entrance.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56588 on: April 25, 2022, 04:00:25 pm »

Talking about FPS death, my current fort was starting to slow down. Decided to try DFHack's fix/fat-dwarves command (a large percentage of the dorfs were corpulent), and lo and behold I managed to increase FPS from 20 to 30.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #56589 on: April 25, 2022, 08:33:38 pm »

Talking about FPS death, my current fort was starting to slow down. Decided to try DFHack's fix/fat-dwarves command (a large percentage of the dorfs were corpulent), and lo and behold I managed to increase FPS from 20 to 30.

I had no idea that dwarves being fat actually used up more processor power  :o
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56590 on: April 26, 2022, 03:33:09 am »

Dem dwarves so thicc, the game can't handle it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56591 on: April 26, 2022, 02:14:30 pm »

One of Gravearmor's notable front-line troops, she arrived in the fort's 4th year and has skill 70 in Spear.
She just dispatched her 3rd forgotten beast using her fist rather than spear. She ranks 15th in total kills.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56592 on: May 01, 2022, 08:32:54 am »

I started up a new fort due to boredom. It's going quite well so far. Except for the situation with cave spiders. Not the giant ones, no. The normal ones.

They are everywhere. The caverns are already overflowing with webs. And ever since I have breached the caverns, webs have started to appear everywhere around the fort as well. Like, I can't post a picture right now, but its everywhere.

I am considering establishing about 20 looms and assign them all to web collecting on high priority and repeat to combat this looming issue.

On the other hand, the hospital, which is only really lacks soap, mind you, is seemingly unable to function. A miner was attacked by a giant bat and was severely injured. Then he got hauled to a hospital bed. Then he was just abandoned there.

Oh wait. I just realised. I have no chief medical dwarf. Are they required for the hospital to function?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56593 on: May 01, 2022, 12:43:26 pm »

Having a chief medical dwarf helps you see more Health info, but really you need the medical labors enabled on a few dwarfs.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56594 on: May 01, 2022, 05:41:27 pm »

Just started a ‘tiny fort’. Got the pop cap screwed down to 7. I’ve also set the fps to 50 while I get the fort dug out and everything running nicely.
The plan is then to dial the fps back up and hope for some families to start germinating.

I’ve put all of them into an axe/shield squad, but I’m wondering if it would be better to have a mix of weapons to cover a broader spectrum? Maybe Axe/Spear/Sword/Hammer/Axe and a second squad with two crossbows? Or with such a small population maybe I should just burrow down!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 05:47:03 pm by Thunderforge »
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else
Pages: 1 ... 3771 3772 [3773] 3774 3775 ... 3842