Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3706 3707 [3708] 3709 3710 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096103 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55605 on: November 05, 2020, 07:49:05 pm »

Well my current fort has been nonstop !!FUN!! so far. thanks to a relatively old world (500 years) and an additional maxage race that can worship death gods it took forever to find an embark that wasnt at war with a tower, and the one I chose turned out to be skirmishing with a nearby tower anyways so so much for that lol. I popcapped myself to 25 but will probably raise that soon just to get some fodder to raze these goddamned necromancers. At least, as soon as the elves bring me something giant and wartrainable. The constant rain (and dwarven aversion to taking out their trash) has a lot of my fortress on edge, and my monster slayers are very, very bad at their jobs and spend as little time as possible in the caverns, which is odd considering that's where their rooms are. My crossbowmen also seem unable to stay sane (or alive) very long at all, which is annoying given that every single caravan has been accompanied by a swarm of kea (or kea men, no giant kea yet but they're coming, I can feel it). They've stolen every good book and scuttled one wagon so far (I hate that bug why do wagons die of fright from parrots) and at this point I've resigned myself to massproducing iron disks as "offerings" to them (and as actual offerings to keep the traders from declaring war on me because all their stuff gets stolen).
Have you tried a covered highway to the map edge?

In one of my more recent forts I just dug an underground road to every map/edge/side of the river/etc., there was a one-tile channel that let them get into it. In theory if you blocked the entrance so that the wagon had to spawn directly where you wanted it might only have two or three squares of surface to deal with.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55606 on: November 05, 2020, 09:45:56 pm »

The covered wagon path was actually halfway done when the seasonal necro sieges started lol. My current world is absolutely brutal. Over 5 enemy attacks before I even had a mayor.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55607 on: November 06, 2020, 03:48:21 pm »

I've been trying to generate the great good+evil (hoping for undead unicorns) volcano site again, and managed to get a site with 2-3 good biomes and attacks from necromancers and goblins.

Slight issues (which make the game more FUN) are that dwarves don't have iron or bit/lignite coal, and humans are wiped out. Also, the volcano rim is 3 levels higher than the magma, so it's not easy to reach like I had hoped when I embarked with metal instead of tools (in order to afford some steel and a steel anvil).

I'll probably gen a few more worlds to see what I can find before I go back to that embark save. If there's any interest, I'll toss the save on DFFD. It's an interesting failure annoying embark anyway.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55608 on: November 06, 2020, 04:41:45 pm »

Quote from: nickbii
Have you tried a covered highway to the map edge?

In one of my more recent forts I just dug an underground road to every map/edge/side of the river/etc., there was a one-tile channel that let them get into it. In theory if you blocked the entrance so that the wagon had to spawn directly where you wanted it might only have two or three squares of surface to deal with.

And if you also build some bridges, you can even isolate those last few tiles from the outside world. 

I've found caravans and migrants tend to spawn in the same 4-5 spots every time, so I build around them rather than try to force a new spawn point, but I've heard that works too.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55609 on: November 06, 2020, 09:58:58 pm »

A ghostly wrestler battered my Bowdwarf militia captain... taking her leg right off*.   Ouch!   
I bet even Andre the Giant couldn't tear a leg right off, even if Inigo Montoya asked him to.

(edit:  * in spite of her exceptional steel greaves.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 08:50:01 am by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55610 on: November 07, 2020, 09:02:46 am »

Had one of most dreadful experiences in DF yet. I recently started digging to deeper cavern layers, and we found some natural downward passages, full of microcline and cobaltite, beautiful stones, and I haven't struck microcline before in this fort, so I had a new color for my building projects, neat!

But as I was mining the stone, I must have accidentally damage the slopes in the passages, so ten or so citizens were trapped in between the layers. Now that wouldn't be that big of a deal, I immediately designed a stair route next to the passage for the poor miners, but soon they started spamming job cancellations, sending the FPS to oblivion.

I had to use burrows to keep them from complaining and disabled all the hauling jobs they were attempting, somewhat improving the framerate. They managed to dig out the stairs before I went mad, and everything went back to normal, fortunately.

Also we managed to kill a necromancer, one less of those to worry about. Although, from what I gathered about our world there's a hey yeah lot of entities and governments lead by necromancer warlords, and only one was ever destroyed as it seems, and that was only because it was at war with different necromancer horde.

And another foul FB came, a mud blob with a tail, but it had to be spitting webs of course. So three of our soldiers were maimed terribly, but the healthcare took care of it, much to my surprise. The last time a web-spitting liquid blob crushed a half of my mace lord's body, she was in hospital for years, waiting for diagnosis.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55611 on: November 09, 2020, 01:08:10 am »

Still no sign of magma.

Also,

Edit:

Finally found the 3rd cavern...

Now to find MAGMA!!!!

Edit2:

MAGMA!!!!!!!1!!!11111!!!111111111111

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:08:54 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55612 on: November 10, 2020, 11:56:49 am »

Still no sign of magma.

Also,

Edit:

Finally found the 3rd cavern...

Now to find MAGMA!!!!

Edit2:

MAGMA!!!!!!!1!!!11111!!!111111111111

Edit3:

Well, Holygorges imploded.  Had a bunch of dwarves inherit baronies (and a county) all at once and misread a request for a grand guildhall as a request for a second guildhall.  Also, does anybody know why my fisherdwarves always go insane?

edit4:

Oops!  Meant must have his the wrong button.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55613 on: November 10, 2020, 12:18:32 pm »

Also, does anybody know why my fisherdwarves always go insane?
Probably a combination of rain being absolutely horrible (I've heard people claiming it's due to cave adaptation and I can say with 100% confidence that isn't true) I've had non dwarf citizens rack up crazy amounts of stress from rain. Once had a baby troll get over 10k stress from his mom holding him while she worked outside before he was even one year old) and maybe the dwarf in question hating fish. A lot of fish are technically vermin and many common ones such as mussels are hateable.

If you wanna fish it's best to build a fishing hut where the dwarf will never ever go outside to fish, as well as picking a dwarf who doesn't hate any vermin they might encounter.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55614 on: November 10, 2020, 01:17:49 pm »

Also, does anybody know why my fisherdwarves always go insane?
Probably a combination of rain being absolutely horrible (I've heard people claiming it's due to cave adaptation and I can say with 100% confidence that isn't true) I've had non dwarf citizens rack up crazy amounts of stress from rain. Once had a baby troll get over 10k stress from his mom holding him while she worked outside before he was even one year old) and maybe the dwarf in question hating fish. A lot of fish are technically vermin and many common ones such as mussels are hateable.

If you wanna fish it's best to build a fishing hut where the dwarf will never ever go outside to fish, as well as picking a dwarf who doesn't hate any vermin they might encounter.

Holygorges was in a moist tropical forest, so it had a wet season and a dry season.  Next time, I think I'll dig a fishing spot out underground and use a bridge to connect it to the stream.

Jackwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55615 on: November 11, 2020, 02:16:09 am »

Hello!

I'm still pretty new to Dwarf Fortress (this is my fourth fortress) and I just had something strange happen so I thought I'd share. I'm about halfway through my second year and it's been slow going but nothing strange had happened until the liaison showed up declaring that we had a countess along with 2 barons. I checked the wiki and it says you need at least 4 holdings and at least a baron to get a count. Now, technically we had the baron, but they showed up with the countess, not before, and there is no way our rinky dink "fortress" has any holdings.

I'm really unsure what caused them to show up, but they did not hesitate to start making demands. We barely have rooms for the normal dwarves let along for the nobles so I'm not too happy to have them here. We'll see how it goes though.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55616 on: November 11, 2020, 11:12:26 am »

That's pretty rare but it can happen. Remember, many of your fortress members were historical figures before joining your fort. They were probably first in line for those titles and the heir died. For some positions like king even your starting dwarfs who have no relationships whatsoever can ascend to them out of the blue if they're the most suitable person in the whole kingdom and there isn't a direct heir. Mass noble appointments are sure FUN tho lol.

Jackwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55617 on: November 11, 2020, 03:45:42 pm »

Definitely FUN, going pretty well though, managed to get everyone happy and now I'm back on track to cleansing the world of goblins. Though now I need to decide whether we hate ALL goblins or just the ones who are trying to kill us because it seems that quite a lot happened in this worlds history. We got 3 necromancer immigrants (one became our mayor) and our liaison is a goblin. I also noticed a looooot of dwarves, elves and humans among the sieges. Really brings up some morality questions... Not that the dwarves really know what morality is.

Also apparently I have a vampire, wonderful. Really hope it isn't one of the new barons or counts, they're the only people to have arrived in a year. ::)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55618 on: November 11, 2020, 04:04:59 pm »

It probably is, actually. And is a good excuse to throw them under a bridge, literally. On the plus side, no more mandates for a while, possibly.

I started a fort to test new holy magic effects, then found out too late I never actually added the reactions/buildings to the civ. Now I need to gen a new world...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:06:40 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jackwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55619 on: November 11, 2020, 05:11:20 pm »

Oof, world gen, how long are you generating your history?

Also, I discovered that they were simply heirs to the titles, we just got another baron, not sure what's happening to the old barons but it's making me concerned that so many nobles are dieing for some reason. Still no sign of that vampire, I've had my captain of the guard interrogating several people just to see what they can find out.
Pages: 1 ... 3706 3707 [3708] 3709 3710 ... 3842