Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3646 3647 [3648] 3649 3650 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120079 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54705 on: March 03, 2020, 07:21:49 pm »

Most, if not all, tavern-goers are historical figures.
Bastards.

Is it considered unsporting to let my tavern do double duty as an atom smasher?

In fact that's the best place to set up an anti-visitor smasher, as you can civ-alert your dwarves away from it while visitors will ignore the alert.

I discovered this during the bug where fortresses would be mobbed early on by artifact-hunting spies.

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54706 on: March 03, 2020, 08:02:20 pm »

In fact that's the best place to set up an anti-visitor smasher....

This game is so cool. I gotta start saving for a better computer.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54707 on: March 03, 2020, 08:23:06 pm »

In a friendly succession fort, one of the overseers accepted forty petitions to bards and poets. I just trapped them in a special tavern and locked the door. A few months later, they were no longer a problem...

anothersimulacrum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54708 on: March 03, 2020, 11:34:10 pm »

With my fort just hitting 20 years, it's probably time to share it some.

Spoiler: Many pictures and text (click to show/hide)

That's it, the whole fort. I probably won't stick on to this too much longer, but I want to see if I can domesticate unicorns and rescue our king before I retire it, so it may be a while yet.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:59:46 pm by anothersimulacrum »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54709 on: March 04, 2020, 05:54:12 am »

Having more silly fun with Lizardcaves. It's been a few years

The dumb bull mayor, Ineth is currently occupied trying to war train a grizzly bear I bought off the humans. Can't because she's too injured, due to having no hands with which to bring it food, so she's just lying underneath it whining about how unfair being a cow is. I ordered more grizzly bears for next year.

Her husband, Tosid the necromancer/metal warrior (apparently he has necromancy because I caught him in combat raising a corpse as a lieutenant in an off playthrough, but someone also managed to set the grass on fire which brought the game to a screeching halt so I savescummed) has been promoted to baron, because I didn't know what else to do with him.

The last few years have seen some adamantine gear for the guards, including an adamantine chain leggings the captain is wearing. Steel industry is up and producing gear for everyone else. I walled in a section of the map for a orchard/apiary for bees, and this spring finally get to start harvesting honey.

There have also been many attempts to steal artifacts. One succeeded, and I never figured out who dunnit, and accidentally convicted one of the guards because I got confused by the interface. But he's doing fine. There were several dwarves that got convicted of going along with plots and several visitors, but I have no idea who their handlers outside the fort are. One elf has gone stark raving mad after being imprisoned, one wound up in a cage somehow (no idea, didnt have any cage traps at the time and only chains set up for justice) and I'm keeping him. A few adventurers exclaimed they could not be kept from our artifacts, which proved to be a lie, since all but one lie dead. The survivor was a goblin mayor (of where I have no idea) that wound up in a cage trap. I had him interrogated and learned he intended to steal practically everything. But didn't reveal any conspirators, just claiming someone ordered him to do it.

Oh, a dwarf threw a tantrum and broke a statue in one of the temples, and subsequently turned into a vampire. I had him walled into his cell, and he's now gone berserk.

No invaders still. Guess I'll have to be the aggressor. The Elf diplomat did show up and claim we're disrespecting the trees, so maybe I can provoke war with them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #54710 on: March 04, 2020, 11:23:15 am »

With my fort just hitting 20 years, it's probably time to share it some.

-snip-

That's it, the whole fort. I probably won't stick on to this too much longer, but I want to see if I can domesticate unicorns and rescue our king before I retire it, so it may be a while yet.

Cool fort and interesting pics.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54711 on: March 05, 2020, 09:51:51 am »

There is a hollow ghoul bard in my tavern. Should I do something?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54712 on: March 05, 2020, 11:58:51 am »

that depends, what do you know about ghouls? Do they require certain types of meat? If they require the meat of sapient beings you should probably do something

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #54713 on: March 05, 2020, 03:04:22 pm »

If he bites anyone, they'll become a ghoul too. It's like werebeastism, but quicker. I'm surprised they're not killing other people already, since I thought they were opposed to life.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54714 on: March 05, 2020, 04:36:56 pm »

If he bites anyone, they'll become a ghoul too. It's like werebeastism, but quicker. I'm surprised they're not killing other people already, since I thought they were opposed to life.
They're on their break

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54715 on: March 05, 2020, 08:20:06 pm »

They are guest, so I guess that means we are on the same side, or at least for now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54716 on: March 07, 2020, 05:39:26 am »

Ineth the Bull Mayor is throwing tantrums, breaking furniture and whining about not having hands with which to hit people. The unending nightmare that is her eternity transformed into a bull has driven her mad with unmet needs and unfulfilled mandates. I fear her time is near. Maybe the gods will be merciful and end this nightmare in her afterlife.

I appointed a hammerer. He killed one of the dwarves Ineth accused of ignoring her mandates. At least she can die knowing she got to take one of those bastards that don't speak Bovine down with her.

I've since appointed the hammerer to a one-dwarf squad and assigned him an artifact adamantine wiffle bat one of the moody weaponsmiths was kind enough to make. Hopefully he'll use his service weapon for beatings.

There was a horrible accident in the magma forges when I accidentally designated a pillar in the caverns above to be mined out without regard for structural support. The miner assigned to the task of course perished in flames as he was washed with magma spray brought forth by the cave-in, despite actually landing well clear of the running magma and the hole into the forges' reservoir. Nobody else was hurt thankfully, but now the magma kilns are inoperable until the pools of magma covering them solidify.

We're well on the way to replacing our war dogs with war grizzly bears. I wonder if I can remove Ineth from the mayoral position and assign her to her own squad and send her off with all the war dogs to raid some site and start a war. My very own animal recruit squad!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #54717 on: March 07, 2020, 10:25:24 am »

I've since appointed the hammerer to a one-dwarf squad and assigned him an artifact adamantine wiffle bat one of the moody weaponsmiths was kind enough to make. Hopefully he'll use his service weapon for beatings.
Actually, hammerers will never use their service weapon for beatings. They'll go find a new different one.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54718 on: March 07, 2020, 11:40:20 pm »

Forgotten beast attack. Needed trees from the cavern and it seemed like the coast was clear. No, in comes the damn flying jaguar deadly dust thing. After a brief killing spree, the military take it out and...An Ambush, curse them!.

Well, there's not much military left and a horde of dark elves riding what appears to be giant platypuses is incoming, so I'm just going to close the gate and ignore them. Concentrate on cleaning up after the mess my FB left.

The last remaining crossbow dorf has other ideas though. And with the job "combat training" in his mind, he's gone up to the defence bunker and is taking pot shots at the dark elf horde. Ha ha. When your friends are all dead, who else to train with?  :)

Sadly, dark elves in my world are all highly skilled bow and crossbow wielders and can shoot right through my bunker fortifications with relative ease. He's already taken a bolt to the ribs, I don't think this is going to end well.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54719 on: March 07, 2020, 11:55:08 pm »

Maybe you can play an adventure ref with the goal of stealing all of their ranged weapons?
Pages: 1 ... 3646 3647 [3648] 3649 3650 ... 3842