Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3558 3559 [3560] 3561 3562 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118646 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53385 on: March 03, 2019, 08:28:53 pm »

deep caverns are deep.

The surface/sea level is at z level 99 and the first possible cavern is at like z level 8, I ran a dfhack reveal to make sure.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53386 on: March 04, 2019, 02:34:57 am »

By Armok they just keep coming! I've never seen such an invasion of visitors before! Go figure if you put a tavern in an orchard you end up with a fortress infested with elves.

Despite burning in a terrible fire, and being left out for slaughter by a goblin siege they just keep coming. The mercenaries, monster hunters and random bards who weren't weak little cowards simply killed the siege and went back to partying. My hill is apparently THE hill.

There are 161 visitors on my map at this moment and they come and go by the dozens no chance of keeping track of them. I'm so tired of denying petitions but I started this world wanting to keep it small, no more than 25, that's gone now I have a pop of 139 trying to get non dwarven breeding pairs. Haven't sorted through them yet but anyone who doesn't meet that criteria is getting culled.

Speaking of, I've just installed my patented GOAWAY device which I've only ever deployed on sieges before but it's not even a question, I'm setting the burrows up now. The next batch of bards is going to meet a solid gold minecart on a loop and be given a quick tour of the volcano about fifty tiles away. If it wasn't for the FPS hit I'd consider just locking the top door and letting them have the hill, I'm kind of curious to see how long they can hold it can keep that party going. Hope someone invites the dragon.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53387 on: March 04, 2019, 03:49:08 am »

So I realized I could just turn the visitor cap down but I like my way better. There's just something satisfying about watching all those wannabe freeloading elves fly through the air and explode against the side of the volcano, body parts raining down into the lava and throwing up great plumes of beautiful deadly lava mist.

My gold minecart has acquired 64 kills since my last post and that's only counting the ones who actually died on contact with the minecart not the smashing against the mountainside or falling into the volcano. The full count is probably three times that. I love this thing but it's way too over powered, anything too small to stop a solid gold (or platinum when I get it) minecart outright simply doesn't stand a chance. A month to build and sieges are no longer a problem. Although I made one building mistake so a very small number are making it through, probably the ones with the highest agility so it's sort of a trial by meat grinder.

Oh I left it running, 83 kills now. Every single one of them a peaceful lover of song or seeker of knowledge. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:52:08 am by Hiarhu »

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53388 on: March 04, 2019, 03:50:27 am »

Sorry meant to edit and accidentally quoted, is there a way to delete this extra post?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53389 on: March 04, 2019, 03:58:44 am »

Doing a little test to see the feasibility of mods with Meph's tileset.

My civ is The Sack of Weakness.
They have never fought a war, despite living next to three warlike nations.
My embark party has three who have a dim view of skill at arms.

Armok have mercy on thier souls, for the denizens of The Useless Forest shall not.

EDIT: And it had none. A.. We'll just call it a mutant leech man, decided to cause everyone to climb over a pond (for some fucked up reason) and consign everyone to die in a pond in an effort to kill it when they inevitable let go of the tree to dodge an attack.

This was their own fault. They made the decision to fight that thing with no free hands over a pond.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53390 on: March 04, 2019, 09:55:37 am »

I just pierced my first aquifer!  Very excited.  It was 6 z-levels, two in soil and 4 in stone.  I've been playing DF for years, since before .34... a little embarrassed it took me this long but I'm proud.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53391 on: March 04, 2019, 10:01:50 am »

I finally managed to make a good ol' 3 Z-level deep moat without flooding anything accidentally; or killing any miners!

The fort is coming along nicely. The roof on the main fort is about 50% complete [Considering it's requiring almost 1,000 blocks...], I've created a well that can draw from my moat from 2 Z-levels above, safe even during war.

My containment/bait cells for Uninvited Guests are complete, they just need to be hooked up and have the... secret passage to the surface opened up, so I can release FB's upon unsuspecting Goblins.

Either that or I mess up and release FB's on my Masonary and Dining Hall.

Managed to capture a few Gazelles so now we're a bunch of Gazelle-rearing dwarves.

Found some metals. Platinum, Gold, and Tetrahedite [So Silver and Copper]. Not the best for the military, but it'll do for outfitting a small squad to bash the brains of some cavern beasties with maces. I intend my primary defense against land-invasions to be a drawbridge and two crossbow towers anyway.

Speaking of cavern beasties... there dosen't appear to be anything so far in my first layer. A little dissapointing. I like mass production of Crundles for leather and meat.

My starting location included Brown Recluse Spider Man silk; yet I have not seen any such things. I have, however, seen the terrifying Honey Badger Men.

Edit: Also this:

I get awarmed by Monster Slayers... but this one's a Noble... a Human at that, and the first thing he did after petitioning was meditate on hospitality
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:41:32 am by Raikaria »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53392 on: March 04, 2019, 02:10:35 pm »

There was a web slinger fb in the caverns, and i made a perfect webslinger trap for it, but the damn thing went and got itself killed before i was ready. And also off in a corner of the map where i couldnt actually see that it was dead, so i continued the project despite losing the incentive. The other FB killed several giant cave spiders, which was probably the entire population of the cavern, which would mean no more gcs'. There goes the silk farm dreams, for now.

I do have an endless supply of plant cloth and a lot of sheep and alpacas now, so its not like anybodys running around naked or anything. But trapped fb silk is worth oh so many cool points. We cant even butcher it because its made of water. Which is a significant factor in its death, im sure. We had one other forgotten beast carcass from the cave in trap, and its meat is still forbidden in the stockpile. Its bones got used in an artifact.
We also had a frog chimera attack. The whole situation was one for the benny hill theme; the chimera dodged all our cage traps on the way in, by swimming up the canal instead of taking the bridge. The lever to close the bridge didnt get pulled until it was already in the trade depot knocking at our inner bridge, which did get closed. I had dwarves trapped under the bridges working on the spike pit, so i dug a tunnel to let them in. At the same time i unlocked a hatch that led up and over the walls, which was covered in cage traps. I figured the chimera would run for that because it just became a direct route into the fortress, but instead it turned around and went after the hatch cover over the stairwell leading down into the spike pit, probably because of the new access through there, or its building destroyer AI finally kicking in.

I stationed the militia squads in the stockpile next to the tunnel, and waited for the beast while a wall was built to seal the tunnel again, but apparently after breaking the hatch and the trade depot it said fuck it and went for the wall access outside. It made it to the bridge, jumped in the moat, and just sat there in the water. So i did the stupid thing and asked my crossbow squad to station atop the wall and shoot down at it. Without locking the access hatch leading over the wall or closing the bridge. So that being the shortest path the entire squad promptly rushes out the trade depot tunnel, directly towards the beast. I canceled their orders and locked the hatch, meaning they were now under the civilian alert, which specified remaining in the meeting area burrow, but one of them just didnt get the message, and marched right on over to the bridge. The chimera promptly leapt out of the water and tore him apart. It then locked on to one of the other rangers heading back inside. He got a shot off i think, it probably missed, and he was also torn to pieces.

By then id reactivated their squad and told them to kill it. The melee squad was still stationed below. The other two rangers still in the depot tunnel turned around and started shooting at the chimera, which became horrified and ran outside into the forest, the rangers pursuing it. It stopped in a clearing and one of the rangers ran up to it, presumably to hit it with their crossbow. He died. But not before one of the melee squad dwarves showed up. The beast charged him, knocking him over and then ripped his leg off, but he got in a few swings with his axe first. Another squad mate arrived with a hammer, and together they tired the beast enough it finally passed out from exhaustion, allowing the hammerdwarf to finally explode its head into a thousand tiny pieces.

So all in all, three dwarves dead and a fourth without a leg. I dismissed him from the military, and his wounds were successfully treated. Other dwarves were a little traumatized by witnessing all this. One managed to witness all three deaths.

But wait, theres more! About a season later, a wererat shows up outside the gates! I figure ill just close the bridge, whether the monster gets stuck inside or not doesnt matter. Itll transform back into whatever it is and go home, no biggy. But it has other plans. Apparently, that 1 block wide overhang on the wooden palisade three stories up a dirt cliff is no biggy when youre a divinely crafted freak of nature. It hops over the wall faster than i can process whars going on, and promptly murders both the war dogs in the watch post above the gate (for spotting intruders!). By now ive ordered everyone to run indoors to the temple far below, but ive stationed the militia squads outside the room to hopefully protect the civilians.

But the captain of the guard is still on the surface by the time the beast is done disemboweling a cow calf. So it murders the guard captain, then heads underground. The bottom of the ramps there was a good spot to pasture some big grazers to eat the vegetation that would prevwnt sand from being collected. So it rips a critters head off. The other animals freak out, but before it could chase anything another recruit shows up from nowhere and gets himself eaten. It then eats a kitten in one bite, chases a water buffalo cow outside and nearly skins her alive before finally transforming back into.... a human woman? There are no humans on this continent, they should have no access to us, so i have no idea how she got here. I had the militia chase her around for a while, trying to scare her into stepping on a cage trap. But then she went for the over-wall exit. and the innermost trap on that exit is a weapons trap. She hits it, gets eviscerated and thrown off the bridge into the moat, and drowns.

Off the field, everythings been work and more work. A baby was born, a handful of dwarves including the parents have their own rooms and workshops now.

I tried to dig out a huge pasture area underground. At the same time i was deconstructing my palisade and building it out one block. I fucked up on the micromanagement, and a floor collapsed into the moat below. And of course, the floor below that was the new pasture area. So its flooded now, but i managed to wall off the hallway so it didnt flood the entire fort...

Tl;dr; im about as smart as my dwarves are and recent events show it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:51:52 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53393 on: March 04, 2019, 06:30:50 pm »

I just pierced my first aquifer!  Very excited.  It was 6 z-levels, two in soil and 4 in stone.  I've been playing DF for years, since before .34... a little embarrassed it took me this long but I'm proud.

Congrats!!!  It took me a few years to finally give it an honest attempt and finally break through one as well.  Did you use the WiKi?

In my fort, I'm just waiting for the magma pump stack to fill my failed attempt at a zombie pit trap, so I can obsidianize them all and try again.  18 months in and only half way filled.  Also, it's drained the lower magma level enough that the magma forges are now unpowered.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #53394 on: March 05, 2019, 12:13:17 am »

Congrats!!!  It took me a few years to finally give it an honest attempt and finally break through one as well.  Did you use the WiKi?

In my fort, I'm just waiting for the magma pump stack to fill my failed attempt at a zombie pit trap, so I can obsidianize them all and try again.  18 months in and only half way filled.  Also, it's drained the lower magma level enough that the magma forges are now unpowered.
How big is it that you managed that?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53395 on: March 05, 2019, 12:20:48 am »

Just recieved a migrant wave. Two wierd things. First, there is a man with two daughters, both correctly list him as their father, he correctly identifies them as his daughters. But neither of the girls even admits to recognizing the other, let alone claiming them as family.

Second, one of the migrants was already a member of my fort. I literally just sent the dude out to search for artifacts, and he shows up with a migrant wave as a new arrival, is no longer linked to his squad, and his commander is still in the field. I know for certain this is the guy i sent because i watched him leave the map on the mission, he still retains his custom proffession name, and lists the thoughts he had from before he left.

Fuckers abandoned his squad and gone awol, thought hed just march right home with some new friends?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53396 on: March 05, 2019, 01:00:50 am »

Just recieved a migrant wave. Two wierd things. First, there is a man with two daughters, both correctly list him as their father, he correctly identifies them as his daughters. But neither of the girls even admits to recognizing the other, let alone claiming them as family.

Second, one of the migrants was already a member of my fort. I literally just sent the dude out to search for artifacts, and he shows up with a migrant wave as a new arrival, is no longer linked to his squad, and his commander is still in the field. I know for certain this is the guy i sent because i watched him leave the map on the mission, he still retains his custom proffession name, and lists the thoughts he had from before he left.

Fuckers abandoned his squad and gone awol, thought hed just march right home with some new friends?

To the first one, it'd be interesting if it's a case of him adopting two kids whose parents died during world gen (even if it was genned on arrival.)

To the second, how much you wanna bet he just said "Fuck this, I'm heading home." I hope it was that, cause it's kind of interesting to see actual desertion be a thing.

-

About to embark once more after sleeping for roughly 12 hours.

Hopefully a tree won't spell doom like last time.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53397 on: March 05, 2019, 01:38:48 am »

Its been well over a month, on a trek that was "two days travel" to explore a site that was supposed to be uninhabited. Im worried the squad captain isnt coming back. That deserter was his only backup. I dont have a report to confirm or deny that, either.

In less troubling, but still confounding news, i had the miners carve down the cliffs on the other side of the river from the forts new extended walls. They first had to dig a single channel to drain a small pond. But like five dwarves decided to walk through the half-empty pond and promptly got washed out into the river. Nobody drowned, amazingly. I thought for sure somebody would, but apparently everybody's been drinking their water bulb potion and eating their water bulb bisquits, because even the manager, who had no prior swimming skill, didnt drown after falling in, crossing to the opposite bank and trying to climb up the bluff and over the half-built overhang, falling into the river again, and finally crossing back to the other side. In fact they levelled up swimming to novice and got a satisfied thought from it.

So water bulb potion brew definitely works on the nobreathe front. For a while there i thought the game had gone totally batshit and forgot dwarves need to breathe.

Also dug out a magma forge area and am just about ready to fill the reservoir. The bridge blocking off the magma pipe and the drainage channel are both linked, everything of value has been cleared, just need to channel down into the top of the magma tubes sides.
I make Spellcrafts!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53398 on: March 05, 2019, 02:51:48 am »

Tings are off to a.... Less than stellar start. Suspecting I would need weapons (which, shocker, I did,) I had to give up access to food and drink in favor of gear. Within a week, the mason got his leg fucked up by a giant turtle, and now the militia commander is chasing a giant beetle around with a very large sharp object.

Mason's been sick bayed under the bridge into the fort, and the MCom, after he gets done murdering a bug that is frankly pissing itself in fear, needs to spin some horse hair into some crude sutures. Gonna need to make some soap too to make up for the lack of dressing for the wound... But hopefully they can get up and about if I get them a crutch and stitch them up by flipping the bed.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53399 on: March 05, 2019, 05:29:51 am »

How big is it that you managed that?

Just a standard single pump stack filling a modest 23 x 25 x 7 pit with a surrounding 3-10 tile walkway / holding cell area.
Pages: 1 ... 3558 3559 [3560] 3561 3562 ... 3842