Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3540 3541 [3542] 3543 3544 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119775 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53115 on: January 01, 2019, 06:27:28 pm »

If she is infected she'll never starve. The hunger clock resets every time she transforms.

So if you notice she's either hungry or thirsty after a few months in there let her out. She's fine. No need t atom smash a trained dwarf and her armor.

I didn't know that.  She eventually went to here 1 tile padded cell and has stayed there through 3-4 transformations now.  She hasn't seemed to have had any bad thoughts other than from seeing her squadmate brutally murdered.  Actually her high quality cell door seems to make her very happy.  I just had a fantastic idea to build her a covered cell just outside my entrance, move her there, and launch her at whatever attacks my fort next.  Worst case scenario she buys time for me to get the drawbridge closed.  Best case scenario she takes out whatever it is.  Werebeasts will fight each other right?

IIRC, Wereskinks will not fight Wereskinks, but they will fight were-anything-else.

There's enough people who have tried to use werebeasts in their military that the wiki has a couple paragraphs on it:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Werebeast#Werebeast_military

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53116 on: January 01, 2019, 06:46:14 pm »

Actually in recent versiins thats not been the case. Sometimes theyll kill each other, too. Ive had this happen myself, where otherwise friendly same-species werebeasts murdered each other.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53117 on: January 01, 2019, 07:17:35 pm »

Actually in recent versiins thats not been the case. Sometimes theyll kill each other, too. Ive had this happen myself, where otherwise friendly same-species werebeasts murdered each other.
Dwarf Fortress mechanics are so fascinating. It's possible Toady changed the code because he wanted them to fight each-other, but it's also possible this is an Emergent Property of some other code change he implemented recently.

Mr. Vaga, I believe this means that your Wereskink Macedwarf provides an excellent opportunity for Dwarven Science.

Please report back any results.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53118 on: January 01, 2019, 07:25:22 pm »

Dwarf Fortress mechanics are so fascinating. It's possible Toady changed the code because he wanted them to fight each-other, but it's also possible this is an Emergent Property of some other code change he implemented recently.

Mr. Vaga, I believe this means that your Wereskink Macedwarf provides an excellent opportunity for Dwarven Science.

Theory: Werebeasts who share the same curse are not hostile, but if they don't they will be hostile - for example, a wereskink cursed by the god Tobul will be hostile to a wereskink cursed by the god Ari, because they don't share the same curse, even if they're the same species of werebeast.

Speaking of werebeasts, a weremammoth attacked my fort and tore a soldier to parts, though thankfully nobody else got anything worse than bruises thanks to the basic armor they have (a mail shirt and leather armor vest are sufficient to prevent skin-tears on impact apparently.)

The soldier who died had a mildly interesting history apparently, having been abducted by cult dwarves (a custom civ based on Eden's Gate from Far Cry 5,) only to be rescued by human raiders  later that year. Shame he had to die the way he did, but better to bleed out with your attacker than become the same kind of monster I guess.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #53119 on: January 01, 2019, 07:29:30 pm »

Another theory: The different werebeasts are supposed to cooperate, but they're getting into loyalty cascades with each other. Do other kinds of crazed creatures kill those of the same species?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53120 on: January 01, 2019, 08:38:49 pm »

Theory: Werebeasts who share the same curse are not hostile, but if they don't they will be hostile - for example, a wereskink cursed by the god Tobul will be hostile to a wereskink cursed by the god Ari, because they don't share the same curse, even if they're the same species of werebeast.

That was my first guess, but Lozzymandias had 6 migrants who could have been infected by a Werebeast, so he walled them off. After killing the poor schmuck(s) who had not been infected by the werewarthog, the infected werewarthogs started fighting each-other. Two of them teamed up to kill the others. Those two remained peaceful for several months, but after that they fought. There was only one survivor.

Another theory was that it depended on who turned when, but they all seem to turn on the same tick (which is apparently the tick the moon changes to full moon).

So I have no theories.

TheFlame52's loyalty cascade theory makes some sense but does not completely work. A loyalty cascade caused by weretapir a transforming, insta-attacking dorf, who then turns into weretapir b on the next tick, meaning weretapir c is honor-bound to protect weretapir b by attacking weretapir a, etc., would explain it; but they all transform on the same tick.

Perhaps there is some lag in the AI perceiving that loyalties have changed, so they attack each-other, causing a loyalty cascade? OPerhaps Lozzymandias experience was a one-off? Or Saiko Kila's impressive experiments were mistaken and they actually transform on different ticks?

More Science needed.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53121 on: January 02, 2019, 03:00:58 am »

Perhaps the loyalty cascades carry over from last month, and the weretapirs didn’t see each other in their normal forms until then?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53122 on: January 02, 2019, 11:52:28 am »

i stopped playing when my marksdwarf killed a dwarf who turned werebeast and in return got killed by another marksdwarf who returned (from eating/drinking) to the spot just minutes later. the onslaught it started just had me quit the game.
new fort will start soonish.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53123 on: January 02, 2019, 01:06:44 pm »

Infected dwarfs only seem to attack each other in those first few ticks as they transform, so if they cannot see each other when they transform, they are not likely to fight.

In 43.05, I had a lone were-buffalo that was actively training 12/12 months and would not destroy his barracks when he transformed, because he was training. Not sure if that still works.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Vaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53124 on: January 02, 2019, 07:42:01 pm »

Will do. 

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53125 on: January 03, 2019, 01:46:46 am »

Infected dwarfs only seem to attack each other in those first few ticks as they transform, so if they cannot see each other when they transform, they are not likely to fight.

In 43.05, I had a lone were-buffalo that was actively training 12/12 months and would not destroy his barracks when he transformed, because he was training. Not sure if that still works.
only one of them was infected, the other was outside his hospital cell, killing him through the fortifications i built there.
the archer returning from break killed the archer who shot the werebeast.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #53126 on: January 04, 2019, 09:35:03 am »

To be honest, I'm not sure what's happening. We're in the frozen north, dug out a nice place under the aquifer. I pierced the cavern and about half a second after clearing that message, a goblin siege arrived. I Pulled the Lever, and opened the civ map - since we had been at peace with the goblins until now. When I went to check the drawbridge, the goblins were no longer on the map. Again, an instant later the human caravan arrived.

Things are certainly hectic.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53127 on: January 04, 2019, 03:16:16 pm »

To be honest, I'm not sure what's happening. We're in the frozen north, dug out a nice place under the aquifer. I pierced the cavern and about half a second after clearing that message, a goblin siege arrived. I Pulled the Lever, and opened the civ map - since we had been at peace with the goblins until now. When I went to check the drawbridge, the goblins were no longer on the map. Again, an instant later the human caravan arrived.

Things are certainly hectic.

I'm gonna make a wild guess here that in the frozen north you've got a number of goblin sites, as is common, yes?  Your "insta-siege" was likely just a goblin army traversing the map, happening through your zone of control on their way somewhere else - home or afield.

This has happened to me before.  Are you now at war with the goblins?

B

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53128 on: January 04, 2019, 09:13:57 pm »

You mean if i were to build my fort over the only passage between to civs (say, one lives on a half-island for instance) I would constantly have armies marching through my territory if there is a war between the two "sides"?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #53129 on: January 04, 2019, 09:49:19 pm »

Interesting theory, but in this instance that's not the case. The north is empty except my fort now. These goblins are at war with a small dwarven faction to their east and the elves to their south.

Haven't checked if we're at war or not still, and might after work. The caravan tells me we are not under siege, but I'll send some scouts around too to check if they turned ambush instead. Very weird in any case.

EDIT: Goblins are gone - appeared and disappeared instantly. It looks like war were declared with the goblins, though - so perhaps I'll take that as a notification of that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:34:02 am by delphonso »
Pages: 1 ... 3540 3541 [3542] 3543 3544 ... 3842