Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3537 3538 [3539] 3540 3541 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120089 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53070 on: December 18, 2018, 09:13:42 pm »

Elk birds are actually fairly strong creatures, they are the underground equivalent of beak dogs afaik

(I know because I googled "elk bird" with the intent of making another muscle bird picture joke)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53071 on: December 18, 2018, 10:42:19 pm »

They're also pretty respectable in size, being significantly bigger than a dwarf. Nothing to write home about, sure, but more than enough to maul untrained civilians and poorly armed, undertrained militiadorfs if they have a mind to.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53072 on: December 19, 2018, 04:30:19 am »

Elkbirds. All the power of an elk, all the asshole of a bird.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53073 on: December 19, 2018, 11:40:00 am »

some crazyass dorf liason showed up asking me to name some possible candidates for position of baron.
i put the newly arrived "trader" who showed many qualities in social skills. i hope this isn't going anywhere bad.
in other news, my fort grew so big, i can barely organize anything anymore. it just grew above my head within an ingame year.
"migrants showed up, create more room for them"
*creates more room* = *creates more wealth*
*facepalm*
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53074 on: December 19, 2018, 01:14:56 pm »

some crazyass dorf liason showed up asking me to name some possible candidates for position of baron.
i put the newly arrived "trader" who showed many qualities in social skills. i hope this isn't going anywhere bad.
in other news, my fort grew so big, i can barely organize anything anymore. it just grew above my head within an ingame year.
*creates more room* = *creates more wealth*
*facepalm*

Unless something really bad is happening inside or outside the fort map, migrants tend to just pour and pour in no matter what, until the population cap is filled. Oftentimes it's easier and more narratively sound to set the cap to something relatively low at first and increase it as the need arises.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53075 on: December 20, 2018, 02:26:33 am »

I retired a save of a fort to visit it as an adventurer. While it's practically unplayable now that I'm 30 minutes into my fort, the general action rate is one step every 20 seconds. Yeah...
But the surprising thing was when we visited the tavern keeper (who was the second most badass person in the fort, after the ex-champion (until my fort stopped having champions and royalty and such because of civil war) and Captain of the Guard until I realized every beating he gave was lethal). I'm not sure exactly what happened but the head of an elf who's been decomposing in the front driveway for 10 years (with a dump order for ten years) "misses Momuz Mengidok, Taven Keeper!". Then one of my companions just jumped in behind the dude and did roughly what Obi-wan did to Vader on Mustafar: hacking off three limbs and smashing the neck.
Just like that, a copper-armored human who had in one alternate attempt been killed in three hits by a cave crawler killed the second-most-badass dwarf my greatest fort ever had, and then shot me repeatedly alongside some other human mercenary until I died.

Adventure mode is WACK.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53076 on: December 20, 2018, 01:12:53 pm »

They're also pretty respectable in size, being significantly bigger than a dwarf. Nothing to write home about, sure, but more than enough to maul untrained civilians and poorly armed, undertrained militiadorfs if they have a mind to.
Huh. I suppose I should give the miner that killed two elk birds before the cage traps at the entrance to the cavern were finished. Too late to relocate the body (killed by a GCS later on) to a better tomb but still in time for mental remembrance.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Cryoshakespeare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53077 on: December 21, 2018, 01:02:50 pm »

Had 15 dwarves going in my nice budding fort. One had died in a bridge skirmish with a giant bird over a river, he fell. Incidentally, my secured river bunker has a floor grate to fish in that can see the body, so my fisherdwarf keeps getting bad thoughts from that.. but, I just had a single migrant wave of 27 people! Insane, but this is one of my only really successful forts and I feel I have finally developed a competency with the game to keep these guys alive (never even experienced a goblin siege before) so it will be cool to keep this going.

I recognize this is a tireless, age old question of the DF forums, but, what to do with all the unskilled migrant laborers? :P

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53078 on: December 21, 2018, 02:02:46 pm »

I recognize this is a tireless, age old question of the DF forums, but, what to do with all the unskilled migrant laborers? :P
Axedwarfs....You will need to learn how to craft weapons and armor, create and assign a uniform, and set up a barracks and a training schedule.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53079 on: December 21, 2018, 02:47:11 pm »

Farmers, draw from that population for military. IMO
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53080 on: December 21, 2018, 04:16:20 pm »

Hauling, cleaning, construction and every job that does not affect quality of outcome (furnace operating and most of the farming jobs); this allows you to absolve your more important dwarves from these tasks. As others have pointed out, these are the kind of dwarves that are getting drafted first.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Cryoshakespeare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53081 on: December 21, 2018, 04:59:39 pm »

Well, after many more migrant waves in short succession, I was at a stage where I had 71 dwarves, 53 of whom were unemployed with no skilled labors..

So, while these are nice suggestions and all, I decided to take the coward's way out and order a mass expulsion, 40 dwarves were sent to the surface and ordered to go find a home somewhere else.

Now I feel bad, so I might just retire this fort and admit my failure. I need to plan for these suggestions and lay more groundwork early on. It was a learning experience at least, onwards!

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53082 on: December 22, 2018, 01:42:32 am »

Farmers, draw from that population for military. IMO
yeah. Set up farms to secure food and booze then have half of the farmers in active squads at any one time. During fights sic like 3/4 of your fortress on the invaders because woodcutters and miners are also pretty dangerous if armoured and skilled.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53083 on: December 22, 2018, 02:16:33 pm »

Do you see the lack of social skills and the combat skills of this migrant?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53084 on: December 22, 2018, 06:49:07 pm »

Back when conquering was still new, I accidentally lost many of my best dwarves because they remained as administrators of backwaters. I was really, really miffed.
I retired that fort because it was prospering and just set up a new one in the same civ so I can follow through on destroying the Elves on a different continent.
My first migrant wave included 3 of those legendary dwarves.
And, for some reason, a legendary wood burner, legendary grower, legendary metalcrafter, and legendary fisherdwarf. Everyone has at least one legendary attribute.
UPDATE: at least one of them somehow has depression from events that happened in my old fort 3 years ago. Despite the fact that they've had like 4 blissful thoughts and only 2 cases of wallowing in self-pity recently.

LATE EDIT: turns out the depressed dwarf had a miscarriage. I only bring it up because of the potential to carve a giant Loss into my fort. Should I?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:40:39 pm by weiserthanyou »
Pages: 1 ... 3537 3538 [3539] 3540 3541 ... 3842