Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3509 3510 [3511] 3512 3513 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119921 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52650 on: August 04, 2018, 03:59:34 pm »

How do you raid for livestock? I've never been able to get any, no matter what options I choose.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52651 on: August 04, 2018, 04:27:40 pm »

I think they bring them back at random based on whats available at the site after successfully raiding it. Its not something you get all the time, but just raiding a site should work. Like i raided an elven site and my squads brought home a bunch of dumb animals.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52652 on: August 04, 2018, 04:47:29 pm »

Have you tried turning off all other loot? Not sure if the limit of one book per raider is actually one looted thing and those ropes and mugs can crowd out the animals.

As for Gearpresent, invasions have officially gone bonkers. "Curse all friends of nature", another elven ambush. Nobody wandering topside for a change so I can only see one squad, its nine goblins and one elf. For almost a decade here elven soldiers were actual elves, exclusively. Mere days later a vile force of darkness. Mostly elves, less than 1/3 goblins. Whats going on out there? Elves and gobs are at war, how did they decide to send their diversity armies the same week? Sadly none of them seem to be histfigs, would like to see where they all came from.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #52653 on: August 04, 2018, 05:30:49 pm »

Have you tried turning off all other loot? Not sure if the limit of one book per raider is actually one looted thing and those ropes and mugs can crowd out the animals.
Yes I have, it didn't work.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52654 on: August 04, 2018, 05:38:01 pm »

For the first time in ages, I've fired up my tribal mode raws. Prospects for a people known as The Nation of War (bad ass name there) are grim.

The Hill-men ave not been seen in many years, almost certainly victims of forgotten terrors or other monsters, while a war was sparked over something with the Forest Men. Additionally, nearby are tribes of cannibals and green men, ever-present enemies of the plains tribes.

A group comprised mostly of warriors has gone to a cave to seek answers and build a refuge, named Abyssembraced for the cave. They have only two clubs and a knife as well as some crude bucklers and wooden armor for protection. Hopefully they can quickly make a store room for water and seal the cave until they have the men to spare...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52655 on: August 04, 2018, 05:39:09 pm »

Yes I have, it didn't work.
Are you sure the site you're raiding has animals?
Try raiding forest retreats.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #52656 on: August 05, 2018, 03:10:16 am »

The Elite Wrestler grabs the human hammerman by the throat with her left hand!
Ilum Nithoshebi, Human Hammerman: "Death...  I'm not uneasy."

(5 Hematite 306)
After a period of peace, the Everlasting Confederacies followed up with a second attack force.  Rather than one squad of unarmed cavalry, this time they arrived with at least 100 soldiers.  They charged almost immediately, and the squad of high-caste Molvokans known as the Mechanics met them at the eastern entry.  The Mechanics killed around 40 humans in the time it took backup to arrive, all three of them taking numerous slices and arrow wounds in the process.  Without Tro's poison incapacitating groups of invaders to slow the rush, they would likely have been overwhelmed.  But once Warlord Shenik's squad of elite warriors and the veteran raiders arrived, the tide turned quickly.  The hardest part of the mopping up was chasing down riderless horses that charged wildly around the edges of the settlement.  Other squads, guarding different entries, became involved in the hunt, and much masterwork clothing was lost to chilling fog.  Some armor bore the moon creatures of the Everlasting Confederacies, revealing the source of the attack.

The greatest hero of the battle was Tedakh Sin, leader of the Mechanics, who confiscated a bronze gauntlet from one of the invaders and wandered through the army challenging everyone who came within reach to a duel.  He got no takers, but many opponents didn't survive the challenge.  Hopefully the gauntlet can be located amidst the scattered wreckage, as it surely deserves a place of honor.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Weremammoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vagabond Tales
« Reply #52657 on: August 05, 2018, 09:40:17 am »

Interesting event with a kobold.  Several appeared and were promptly ignored as I assumed the would turn tail when my chained war dogs spotted them.  But one little enterprising fellow was determined to take advantage of my aloofness.  Instead of running, like every other kobold I've ever encountered in fort mode, he makes for the entrance.   First, he one-shots an herbalist with a stab in the head, then incapacitates one of our water buffalo and hops on top to viciously put a score of holes in it.  He proceeded to take out two more dwarves and a llama before exhaustion got the better of him and the now-gathered group of citizens beat him down.  The only military dwarf near by felt that hopping over the moat and running around in the bushes would be the best way to handle the situation and, thus, was of no help. 

First time I've encountered one of the little ones that's so aggressive.  It made my day  :)
This is a forum post.  All work is of the highest quality.  It expresses the thoughts of a particular DF player.  This post is decorated with a frame and avatar.  It menaces with occasional grammatical errors.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52658 on: August 05, 2018, 10:01:22 am »

My most memorable kobold moment was and most likely will always be from back in the 2D version, when moody dwarves would refuse to drop any artifacts that they had created.

A single kobold sneakthief had gotten past the outside river and was making for the entrance to my fort, when my legendary mason and artisan of our fort's sole prized artifact happened to spot him while making a delivery. Spooked, my mason struck the kobold with the closest thing at hand, the artifact.

The artifact in question was a massive, decorated, marble floodgate. The kobold... Ceased to exist. I legitimately never found the body.

A season later, I saw a kobold's left arm on the other side of the outdoor river, some ways north. That was the only remnant of the unfortunate burglar, save a smear of blood on the fort's entryway.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #52659 on: August 08, 2018, 03:20:29 am »

Dreadsmear, 9 Hematite 309
For three years, we have seen neither merchant nor invader, but now the forces of the Everlasting Confederacies are at our border again.  Over the intervening years, we have completed the primary apartment complex - 96 iron bedrooms, with exceptional beds and graystone doors, stretching four stories above the ground.  The walls surrounding our two orchards are in better shape, and the southern entryway now leads through a twisting, wagon-passable tunnel to a raised trading platform.  We've begun construction of a grand tomb complex built into the southeastern wall, and carved out most of the hills near the southeastern border for a better field of view.  A great furnace in the central square, under the gaze of the growing Iron Manor, devours the worthless armor of the last army to approach Dreadsmear uninvited.  We shall soon see what these new visitors have to add to our stockpiles.

Several couples have contributed to our population, but we also suffered a death during this interlude.  Olazra Line's mood had been improving under the gentle guidance of Khar Menace until he became suddenly upset, apparently over the state of his clothes, and backslid abruptly.  Olazra began tantruming and attacking his teacher.  The first time, Khar simply stood and let him beat her, even though she suffered a broken foot from the assault.  Unfortunately, her tolerance failed to calm him down.  The second incident started out the same, but this time Olazra drew blood.  The entire purpose of Khar's containment facility is to avoid spreading her toxic fluids.  She immediately crushed his skull with a single blow, and Olazra was interred in a coffin in the deep quarries, with no honor.    But the other warriors of Dreadsmear have continued training, and several earned weapons during the last invasion, so we are stronger now despite his loss.

10 Hematite
Zahn Witch of Webcaster squad reported that the invaders are approaching the northern entry in force - the better part of 100 human solders, and at least two dozen horses.  Oddly enough, the horses all seem to be riderless.  Most Molvokans want to be nowhere near the spinners when iron-silk starts flying.  Warlord Shenik redeployed the Mechanics (who have the strength, agility, and limbs to work their way through webs unimpeded) and the Storm (who have crossbows) to support us.

11 Hematite
Preceded by waves of iron-silk and clouds of poison, we rolled over the human scouts and are now pushing out against the army.  Tro Hate collects heads with her ☼steel bill hook☼; Tedakh Sin cuts a path through the intruders with dagger and long sword.  Zahn is the strongest of the Webcasters, and her punches have crushed three skulls.  These idiots came here to kill us, but the slaughter is still an unnerving sight for those of us unused to open battle.  Still, we have nothing but superficial wounds.  The biggest problem was a lasher with a bronze whip.  How can such a weapon damage a steel breastplate?  It seems absurd.

12 Hematite
The Warlord came to lead us personally when it became clear that the northern push was the invaders' primary assault.  With Shenik Ruthless as our point, we swept through the invading army like a fire through dry brush.  Only their herd of panicked horses remains before us, and iron-silk and corpses blanket the ground in our wake.  As we pushed south, the forces at the eastern entry saw our approach and came forth, but the single squad of enemy soldiers that remained there delayed them just long enough to keep them from catching the horses between us.  Some thirty or so of them remain on the loose.  Still, there's nothing but mopping up left to be done.

(From the notes of Berkhak Fell, wordspinner, of Webcaster squad.)
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
Necromancer Fort
« Reply #52660 on: August 08, 2018, 11:01:33 am »

Raided an Necromancer tower multiple times and got many cool books. My Dwarfs hang out in the library and learn how to reanimate corpses.
Can't wait to see what will happen while under siege  8)
The old apple revels in its authority.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52661 on: August 10, 2018, 04:01:35 am »

As for Gearpresent, invasions have officially gone bonkers. "Curse all friends of nature", another elven ambush. Nobody wandering topside for a change so I can only see one squad, its nine goblins and one elf. For almost a decade here elven soldiers were actual elves, exclusively. Mere days later a vile force of darkness. Mostly elves, less than 1/3 goblins. Whats going on out there? Elves and gobs are at war, how did they decide to send their diversity armies the same week? Sadly none of them seem to be histfigs, would like to see where they all came from.
Once one of them is killed by one of your dorfs, they're officially histfigs.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52662 on: August 10, 2018, 04:12:31 am »

I have a conundrum. You see, while testing Meph's Tileset, I discovered an oddity in one of my first migrants.Have Great level artisans and from time to time even soldiers migrate in isn't anything new, and they're usually married, or fairly young (but have only ever done the thing they're doing.) So I thought nothing of it. This migrant is:

A. A Great Armorer, who can give me the most out of my copper deposits.
B. An Axe Lord who has a masterwork copper battle axe made by a legendary migrant smith. Being an axe lord with such a weapon, she is still making the best use of the copper.
C. A vampire, because she hasn't fucking slept once since she arrived last summer.

Right now the only thing keeping her from eating anyone is being on duty training, which unfortunately means I can't deactivate her squad for any reason, otherwise she'll eat someone. I have absolutely no idea what to do about this seeing as the fortress is too young to really support a sheriff or have a sacrificial lamb to lock her up with.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52663 on: August 10, 2018, 05:02:13 am »

*A vile force of darkness has arrived*
*The forgotten beast Giant Maggot has arrived, beware it's poisonous sting!*
*The forgotten beast Selenite Quadruped has arrived, beware it's poisonous vapours!*
*A Cyclops has arrived*

This all happened within about 2 months of each other. I was not ready for a siege, especially not one as big as it was... The first forgotten beast was killed by the second one made of rock and the Cyclops was killed by the gobbos. I've lost a lot of dwarves and am hoping the siege will lift sooner rather than later.
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52664 on: August 10, 2018, 06:04:47 am »

Right now the only thing keeping her from eating anyone is being on duty training, which unfortunately means I can't deactivate her squad for any reason, otherwise she'll eat someone. I have absolutely no idea what to do about this seeing as the fortress is too young to really support a sheriff or have a sacrificial lamb to lock her up with.
I might be missing something, vamps should keep fresh for a while until you are settled? Remove everyone else from the squad (check her schedule that she doesn't get time off) and build her a nice airlocked forge/barracks? Or an ugly holding cell, as long as it has a way for safe delivery/retrieval.

Once one of them is killed by one of your dorfs, they're officially histfigs.
Argh, I knew there was a reason to actually fight, thanks for the reminder. I just let them sort it out among themselves, the elves won, no contest, but nothing to be found in legends about the race switch. Next visit was completely normal again from both of them.

By then I was long sick of the place and have started a new fort. Spotted a cave that several groups fought over recently, first time ever embarking on a cave. Seeing twenty "hostile" people around made me doubt this decision initially, but they were completely docile and just wandered around trying to get slaughtered by wildlife. An etting visited to clear out what was left before dying of FB syndrome. A werepanther bit one of my dwarves, who then slaughtered the FB. Now I have a badass cavern guard, no strangers hanging around anymore and still no idea what all the fighting over this cave was about, nothing to see here unless I build it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:17:01 am by Rafatio »
Pages: 1 ... 3509 3510 [3511] 3512 3513 ... 3842