Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3507 3508 [3509] 3510 3511 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119751 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52620 on: July 29, 2018, 01:43:14 am »

That human axeman became a lord while in jail, still throwing tantrums, attacked another monster slayer (no serious injuries but she was quite shaken), so i expelled him. The captain of the guard, geshud, has become equally problematic as hes started several tantrums and fist fights, so i stripped him of his title and im setting up a proper prison cell for him to cool off in. Hopefully.

Maybe i need a happy room i can stuff problem dwarves like this in to recuperate. Problem is they cant really be locked away because that prevents them from visiting libraries, temples, taverns and seeing family and friends, which are all important now. What we really need is !!SCIENCE!! regarding the new mental health and stress setup. Like whats the bare minimum things you need to keep the population somewhat contented? How do you achieve a proper work/leisure time ratio? I notice with jobs on repeat at workshops that dwarves will often spend weeks in the workshop while other dwarves spend that time idling because the other dwarf is in the workshop. And how can i generate good memories reliably? Dwarves remember seeing things die/being attacked just fine as well as having children, but single dwarves dont get those memories of becoming a parent, so they stack up those traumatic events, looks like.

Ive put some wild animal cages in the dining room and made a screw powered waterfall setup. Dwarves seem to like that at least. I dont think geshud has even gone in there yet tho. Maybe ill have to start setting up artifact furniture in the meeting areas again, and expensive shit in the middle of well travelled routes, see if those help improve the mood.

Ive yet to see a proper tantrum spiral again though. I kinda miss that crazy mess.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #52621 on: July 29, 2018, 11:39:12 am »

One of my dwarves went melancholy in jail. He's chained, so the other dwarves are still feeding and watering him, but he won't sleep. Dwarves can't die of sleeplessness, can they? Will this guy live forever?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52622 on: July 29, 2018, 01:35:32 pm »

My fort uses an invader pathing oddity for defense, the yearly elf ambush (You call almost 100 an ambush? Thats a siege in my book) can't get into my fortress, but can go into the caverns, which they duly do. After everyone is downstairs I close their cavern backdoor and can open the gate while they reduce the crundle population for a few months until they get bored and leave.

So for a few months per year we have cavern access, most of the year surface, sometimes both or neither. It's kind of weird that they rush down even when our own cavern bridge is closed when they arrive and stays that way until they're gone. Obviously was'nt planned like that, but I don't mind having fewer bodies and toy weapons to clean up. Now I hope for a juicy forgotten beast to add to the fun, haven't had one for ages.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52623 on: July 29, 2018, 01:41:38 pm »

Huh, odd. I must admit I'm not certain of what, exactly, invaders path to - Breakfastpit had another oddity recently with invaders stopping at depot bridge, despite another open walkable way into the fort. Did you perchance forget a meeting zone lure somewhere there?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52624 on: July 29, 2018, 01:47:25 pm »

Nope, never had one down there. Even weirder, they often mill around just outside our cavern bridge, as if they know what's behind. If some critter distracts them they run after it, but if its quiet they gather at the entrance. "Their" stairs and our cavern access are maybe 50 tiles apart, no line of sight, 1-2 z levels difference. They completely ignore the tunnel used to dig their stairs, it brances off the staircase and leads into the fortress proper, much closer to meeting zones and all that, but of course also locked with drawbridge, nobody ever lingered there.

Maybe they just try to go down, like cavern critters try to climb up? Someone aims for meeting zones, not sure who right now... perhaps the difference between ambush and siege?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52625 on: July 29, 2018, 03:19:36 pm »

Hm, I'm thinking of how ThatAussieGuy had to use walls instead of drawbridges to make checkerboard function, and how vp uses bait behind fortifications to draw clowns to a location. Though they're bit special.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #52626 on: July 29, 2018, 04:31:55 pm »

Gray langurs dashed into the manufacturing area in the Iron Manor.  They didn't do much but run around and die, but the Molvokans burned half the wheelbarrows, scattered the metal bars, and reduced the soap making center to a widely spread pile of frozen lye.  As usual, they cause more problems than the things they're killing.

The orchard/pasture area is walled off to keep intruders from strolling right in, and reduce the chances of stray fire setting off a blaze.  A new manufacturing center is going into operation, producing clothing and jewelry, and will eventually add paper for the library.  The Iron Manor's first bedroom complex is almost finished.  The population is up to 98.  Time to look into meeting the neighbors.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52627 on: July 30, 2018, 12:05:56 am »

I'm not sure this is a bug or not.

I had some guys stuck up a tree. So I built some stairs there. But whenever my builders started walking with the wood, it took them very long to get there. I figured that Larch must be really heavy, or maybe the injured guy I had doing the job had no strength left, or something, so I cancelled that staircase and went with willow. Same problem. So I put a wood stockpile right by the foot of the staircase. A dude picked up a log from three tiles behind my broker (who is building the damn stairs), took it all the way to the stockpile, and my poor broker has carried his log a whole square.

So I cancel that staircase, create another using the logs that are literally two squares away, and my beloved jeweler gets right on the job. In the time it has taken him to move no squares all my trade goods have been moved to the Depot. Which seems very weird. The only thing that's unusual about the staircase is that leaves have grown over the work area, but you'd think that would result in cancelation spam, not being unable to lift the logs.

In the meantime everyone in the tree has starved. I think I'll copy the save and cut down the tree.

On the upside, I had too many dwarves anyway, and they killed a giant kea. I hate those birds.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52628 on: July 30, 2018, 04:32:05 am »

@Demonic Gopher: Might want to look into magma-safe paper, from the stories you've been telling. Fire imp parchment would work, I imagine.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52629 on: July 30, 2018, 05:15:49 am »

New migrant wave had come. One of dwarfs scored 4 elf kills during the worldgen. However, he has no military skills, even dabbling. Instead, he is great butcher.
His other skills are some expert social skills and both novice poet and wordsmith. In relationship menu he has no family members, only master. Turns out that as dwarf you can be poet and executioner as one!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52630 on: July 30, 2018, 07:15:53 am »

The fortress attracted no migrants this season.
It did however attract 175 heavily armed visitors. Including a 'mayor'. It's like an entire neighboring town has just forcibly moved in.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #52631 on: July 30, 2018, 07:57:48 am »

The fortress attracted no migrants this season.
It did however attract 175 heavily armed visitors. Including a 'mayor'. It's like an entire neighboring town has just forcibly moved in.
The town may have been destroyed and the residents moving through.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52632 on: July 30, 2018, 08:12:04 am »

Was just digging out a bigger tavern for them to hang out in (because, of course, all 175 of them decided to cram into the 8x8 museum in the hopes of spotting whatever artifact they were after). Checked up on them and they're all gone. They were only here a couple of weeks. In fact the mayor was 'ready to leave' the moment he arrived, which is a bit odd.

The only clue to their passing is an announcement that something suddenly horrified the expedition leader. But no bodies and no combat reports. Creepy...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52633 on: July 30, 2018, 10:02:16 am »

The only clue to their passing is an announcement that something suddenly horrified the expedition leader. But no bodies and no combat reports. Creepy...
He suddenly remembered that he'd left the oven on.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52634 on: July 30, 2018, 11:48:48 am »

My Fortress, CraftRiddles is still alive and well.  But I noticed all the prepared meals is stew.  It does not matter what it is made from - it is stew.  Fish, booze, cheese, red meat....stews. Stews.  STEWS!  Any way to make them cook or create something else or is it the mood of the cooks or whatever?  What is GOING on with all the STEW!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 3507 3508 [3509] 3510 3511 ... 3842