Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3505 3506 [3507] 3508 3509 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119585 times)

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52590 on: July 20, 2018, 03:34:18 pm »

Instant army if they're mercs and decide to stay, neat. But it might be time to change that visitor cap, the default is a bit silly.

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52591 on: July 21, 2018, 10:18:46 am »

Half of the kids in my fort are camping out at the clothier's shop. They've been there for months, probably waiting for the next DwarfAirMax shoes. 8)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52592 on: July 21, 2018, 10:38:37 am »

Half of the kids in my fort are camping out at the clothier's shop. They've been there for months, probably waiting for the next DwarfAirMax shoes. 8)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's DWARFAIRMAX SHOOOOEEESSS *Urist simulates a-a-a-a-a-aaiiiiirhoorrrn*.

*Wear on yer feet
*Made o' stone
*Protects ye from mysterious foot-rot
*No economy, just come and get em'
*Laces are fer elves
*Comes with sock
*Mug holder optional
*Ran out o' stone, made em' out o' lead

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52593 on: July 21, 2018, 03:51:04 pm »

Hum. Why are there four minecarts in a square? Minecart minecart qsp?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #52594 on: July 21, 2018, 04:41:42 pm »

I'm building an enormous marble wall encircling the whole embark. There will be about 20 squares between it and the map border. There will be three side gates and a main gate to the south. The main gate will be guarded by the Gatehouse, a huge stone block full of traps, choke points, traps, marksdwarf emplacements, and more traps. It will also contain the barracks for several squads, living quarters for mechanics and lever pullers, and food and drinks so the dwarves never have to leave.

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52595 on: July 22, 2018, 12:15:21 am »

Hum. Why are there four minecarts in a square? Minecart minecart qsp?

I am using Qsp's but that is just a regular stockpile. I used the minecarts to haul up magma for my smelters.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52596 on: July 22, 2018, 07:25:41 am »

New world, new fortress. Have embarked upon a travelling mercenary. That's a rare occurrence, I guess.
Quick check of Legends shows that I've embarked pretty much in between his home and the fortress he was visiting.

He's a dwarf and we're an outcast race of so-called "wild dwarves". Mortal enemies, generally.
But he's a merc and we can pay him as much as he needs (nothing, how fortuitous!). Guess we'll get along OK.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52597 on: July 23, 2018, 02:43:14 pm »

Mayor is nicknamed named jean valjean. Jean valjean is a vampire. I know this. Hammerer is nicknamed javert.

I like jean valjean, they're a good mayor. but they keep killing people. Thus, I accuse something else the first time, but jean valjean had negative emotions to it, so I accused him to make him feel better, (See: Who Am I?) and then javert beat the shit out of him.

I swear to god I didn't plan for this to happen.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52598 on: July 24, 2018, 07:45:36 am »

Ahaha, gold.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52599 on: July 24, 2018, 12:19:30 pm »

215 dwarves in my fort. 66 are children.

And I don't know how to kill reduce the number of children without causing tantrum spirals by stupid overprotective parents who never actually talk to their kids.
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52600 on: July 24, 2018, 02:59:17 pm »

A sample of my ongoing war against the Jungle and everything that resides here;

DurianGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52601 on: July 24, 2018, 03:12:15 pm »

One of my militia captains, who commands a squad of... well, they were supposed to be wrestlers, but they just hit everything with the bucklers I gave them for protection, just lost his left arm to a forgotten beast. Just scratch and gone.
I expected him to go to the hospital after the beast was slain, but no. He just went back to his training session. The wound has stopped bleeding now. He's a cool guy.

Apart from that, most of my residents are either scholars, entertainers, and incredibly unstable dwarves who'll eventually go mad and die of dehydration.

And a giant cave spider somehow managed to get into my tavern, where it toppled a statue and killed a scholar before being struck down.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:44:23 am by DurianGrey »
Is there any word more meaningless than "hope"? Besides "blarfurgsnarg", of course.

cjdabeast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52602 on: July 25, 2018, 10:41:56 am »

I'm in an area rich with both iron and trees. I set up an army quickly (Literally 5 of the original 7 were recruits.) and quickly got steel gear. Over the years I built the army up to 40 troops. I survived two consecutive sieges, one from the goblins and one from the humans immediately after, with maybe about less that 5 total hurt/killed dwarves combined. Then one of the troops threw a tantrum and caused the 2nd loyalty cascade in that fort. After it was all said and done, I had 23 troops left. Currently training about 7 new recruits. Oh, also, about 3 more died right after I started recruiting because I sent everyone to go kill a forgotten beast. (I'm mostly melee. Yes, he was made out of salt, but he also had webs.) Now I'm working on throwing the dwarves in caskets and all the other dead bodies into the garbage chute while the new recruits learn which end of the axe goes where.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52603 on: July 25, 2018, 03:40:26 pm »

I just saw the strangest interaction. After drafting my good miners I assigned the least suited ones as replacement for a bit of training. Idly watched one of them dig, pretty soon he got the white arrow for being tired, but kept going for now. Then another dwarf ran up to him with a "recover wounded" job and dragged him all the way to the hospital. Minerdude was concious the whole time, completely uninjured, not requesting diagnosis and not even exhausted yet, just tired. When they arrived he jumped up and ran back to mining without waiting for a doctor.

Is that how altruistic dwarves fulfill their need to help? Rescue someone whether they need it or not?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52604 on: July 25, 2018, 06:00:29 pm »

It might be that exertion can cause a dwarf to go unconscious in some cases (if the dwarf is overweight or out of shape, which they can be), which might trigger the Recover Wounded job. There are
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 ... 3505 3506 [3507] 3508 3509 ... 3842