Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3496 3497 [3498] 3499 3500 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095656 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52455 on: July 02, 2018, 02:27:55 am »

He didn't take his kid? That's very strange; would probably help to report it.
Yes, I was going to. Just took the time to see if there was some reason for it I'd missed.

And it seems that there was. The Front door is closed.

That would explain things. The guy I banished is actually wandering around down in the caverns, I thought he was gone (exiles switch from citizens list to visitors list).

Open the door and they leave, along with a flood of restless visitors.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52456 on: July 02, 2018, 03:20:36 am »

My previous ice castle got melted by a dragon, I have decided to build a new one. Glacier embark 3rd try. I think this time I perfected my ice castle design!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52457 on: July 02, 2018, 06:09:46 am »

Saved by the siege.

There's a bunch of about 150 angry dwarves hanging out outside my fortress. They've been here a couple of seasons now, so long that some of them are getting stressed, which is pretty funny. Anyway, I'm not gonna let them in, my military is resting.
Just now a bunch of dwarven scholars turned up. They hung out for a while with no way in, then suddenly one of them turned into a weretotroise and plowed into the dwarf army. Ha ha ha. It didn't last long, but glad it didn't happen in my library.

--edit
Oh boo. What an anticlimax. A recruit who was bitten just turned and the damn thing is friendly to the entire dwarven army. That's worthy of a bug report if there isn't one already.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:48:26 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52458 on: July 02, 2018, 08:25:49 am »

The queen has been obsessed with rings and coins , rings weren't a problem but the coins were eating at the bars stock
Still the dwarves served her well.

Came a human caravan, the queen oddly didn't banned ring export.

So to get rid of the massive amount of crafts, rings included, i sent them all to the trade depot and traded them.

Checked after that the announcement and spotted one i didn't noticed, in fact just before i actually traded the rings, the queen decided just then to ban their export again.

So the less i could say is that a bunch of dwarves were now guilty in the eyes of the queen of violation of export prohibition.
The captain of the guard did the job and decided to beat down every guilty dwarves.
So far he murdered 7 of them by punching

5 dwarves are still alive but are in the hospital.

I guess the queen and her captain lackey are not going to make friends now. I'll have to check in adventure mode if the fort is now ready for some insurrection.

edit : meanwhile the queen is happy despite her obsession with rings and coins caused many good dwarves death
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:03:29 pm by Robsoie »

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52459 on: July 02, 2018, 11:03:16 am »

Had 230 odd dwarfs, almost all very happy, someone punched the captain of the guard I think, then I'm not sure, it was all on in the main staircase and I couldn't find the original battle report to work out why, but a mood got interrupted along the way, and now there are 100 dwarfs, a lot of miasma, someone with the title "boss" which is something to do with the queen dying, a few extra long names about the place, almost everyone is very unhappy and the new Captain of the Guard has a bit of a full prison.

But at least the sudden and extremely violent civil war out of nowhere seems to be finished, and only killed off 80% of the military and most of the nobles and, they really are quite efficient at cleaning the blood up these days. D:.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52460 on: July 02, 2018, 11:21:44 am »

*sigh* Now that I actually HAVE a military, the gobbos don't want to lay siege to my fortress, but instead a new killer arises. My dwarves like to climb into iced-over canals and spar there, possibly dodging into unfrozen canals as well, killing them when they flash-freeze in the winter. Four dwarves have died this way. :/ fucks sack. I even put up a wall grate to stop them from dying in the (repeat) offending canal, they climbed over it. INTO A TRAFFIC RESTRICTED AREA. To sleep/hangout. Idk what to do. It's getting incredibly annoying to lose both veteran military dwarves and precious equipment in this way. I might have to move the barrack above ground if I can't figure out something.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52461 on: July 02, 2018, 01:10:00 pm »

*sigh* Now that I actually HAVE a military, the gobbos don't want to lay siege to my fortress, but instead a new killer arises. My dwarves like to climb into iced-over canals and spar there, possibly dodging into unfrozen canals as well, killing them when they flash-freeze in the winter. Four dwarves have died this way. :/ fucks sack. I even put up a wall grate to stop them from dying in the (repeat) offending canal, they climbed over it. INTO A TRAFFIC RESTRICTED AREA. To sleep/hangout. Idk what to do. It's getting incredibly annoying to lose both veteran military dwarves and precious equipment in this way. I might have to move the barrack above ground if I can't figure out something.

You say sparring, that implies they have a training area set up near these water areas.  I am willing to bet that what you are experiencing is the dodge-through-walls phenomenon, where dwarves manage to dodge (via training or real combat) through the tiniest crevices into areas they should not be.  Try moving your training zone, or double-layering your walls that separate them from these areas.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52462 on: July 02, 2018, 10:31:15 pm »

Why is autosave no longer a thing?!
Lost a pretty fun little fort last night due to needing to savescum (there was AI marksdwarf bugginess, which isn't my idea of Fun at all) and not realising it had been longer than I thought since I started the game.
Wasn't about to play through 2~ rather eventful years of the same fort again, so I retired it and raged for a bit.

Then I started a new fort, which also wound up being ruined by bugginess - in this case, my military dwarves refusing to drop the stone they were hauling when drafted, even after I forbade it.

Apparently that bug has been known since 2015, with no fixes, and yet it's still a thing?! Man, that was pretty annoying. I guess the only way to avoid it is to keep your military reserves from hauling anything at all? Kind of a pain in the early days of a fort when you need all hands on deck...

Anyway, I just got up-to-date in this thread last night, so I'm gonna respond to a few things that caught my eye in the past few pages.

!Fun!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Constant fights in the miasma filled Tavern, still drawing visitors, apparently drawn by old rumours of past glory, they arrive to find corpses in the hallways and dwarves fighting with each other in a half-ruined tavern, windows smashed and tables overturned but with staunch Dwarven poets still reciting in-between fighting other bards and unruly dwarves with the occasional enraptured audience member amidst the perpetual bar-brawl.

This post is pretty much peak DF. Beautiful.:')

Razordeeps has fallen... and all because of a stupid misunderstanding.

Rumors reached our ears of a lost artifact in the hills nearby... a pear wood earring, if the legends didn't lie. Inud, the militia commander, wanted to retrieve it before the stinking greenskins could. He took the Armored Nights out in search of it. We even told him it was last seen in the lair of a dragon close by to the south.

Inud, apparently still drunk, went to a fortress of the dwarves to the north of us and ransacked the place. He and the troops killed dozens of dwarves. The first indication that we had that anything was wrong was a notice from the Amber Hatchets stating simply "This is war." and a very irate outpost liaison accusing me of handing this entire half of the world to the goblins while we fight each other. I sent a message of abject apology to them. It wasn't my intent. And then...

... my one survivor returned. The others were imprisoned. IMPRISONED. In the fortress of Portalblocks. I sent a group to try to secretly free them but it ended... badly (Author's note: 42 dead, all theirs). Diplomats went back and forth. I was told by the queen that regardless of who imprisoned whom, that I needed to shut up and sit down, not necessarily in that order. I am a passionate dwarf, but I am obedient. Up I shut.  Down I sat. She began outlining the war, long in planning, between the Rampart of Thrones (us) and the Patterned Evil nearby.

Following her instructions, my military was dispatched to destroy Doombugs, a dark pit of some hundred goblins nearby. The war was finally in process. The Brown Door, our neighbors to the northeast, would send a detachment from Mirrorsyrups to destroy Vileclapped, and the Amber Hatchets would send a legion to assault Vilecrowded itself, home of the Bull Brute who governed the Patterned Evil and had done so for time out of mind. Regardless of our previous difficulties, we needed the support of the Amber Hatchets too much to allow internal squabbling, particularly at a time like this. I was told my orders, and instructed to command my dwarves to stop "stirring up trouble".

As soon as my legions marched off singing, we began to hear reports of an army on the march. No worries, we thought, the whole of the west of the world is in motion against the Patterned Evil. We paid it no mind.

At dawn, the armies of the Amber Hatchets appeared in the north of the mire. By sunset, Razordeeps was no more. Our forges, our temples, our vast library... gone. Our livestock scattered or slain. I alone escaped. A rumor was put about that a forgotten beast did the deed. Betrayed by our allies, betrayed most likely by our queen, betrayed by our misunderstandings... the whole thing is too tragic to bear. I go to see my ancestors; may they have mercy on my failures as a leader.
Truly a heartbreaking tale. Did you find out what became of the legions who marched?
Also, is dwarven diplomacy a lot more in-depth these days, or was that just artistic license?

Having a well full of blood and a replacement vampire I released the human diplomat. Nine days later they arrived following the human caravan with a new name, new clothes, and new guards. They were still haggard from stress and carrying their artifact sword (which I completely forgot about when I let her go) but her injuries were gone without a trace. She marched straight into my dormitory and drained three dwarves. That's gratitude for you. After that she met with the mayor and went right back into my tavern. They're overwhelmed by horror from their feeding frenzy but evidently my actions are not worthy of war. More success.
This bit made me laugh out loud. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52463 on: July 03, 2018, 12:05:21 am »

Why is autosave no longer a thing?!
Need to set [AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL] in /data/init/d_init.txt
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52464 on: July 03, 2018, 01:29:29 am »

Had 230 odd dwarfs, almost all very happy, someone punched the captain of the guard I think, then I'm not sure, it was all on in the main staircase and I couldn't find the original battle report to work out why, but a mood got interrupted along the way, and now there are 100 dwarfs, a lot of miasma, someone with the title "boss" which is something to do with the queen dying, a few extra long names about the place, almost everyone is very unhappy and the new Captain of the Guard has a bit of a full prison.

But at least the sudden and extremely violent civil war out of nowhere seems to be finished, and only killed off 80% of the military and most of the nobles and, they really are quite efficient at cleaning the blood up these days. D:.
when my queen was conveniently tragically killed in action during a goblin siege, we just went back to having a mayor. Is your game modded besides a few edits to the d_init file?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52465 on: July 03, 2018, 01:34:34 am »

Well, my fortress did not flood. Unfortunately the intended means of rotating the mill waterwheels did not work (no flow).

Also it cut my FPS in half, so I'm scrapping that design and starting from scratch.
Interesting. Were you using a load of smaller water reactors linked up, something more like Deathgate's BATTEREY, or an aquifer drain method?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52466 on: July 03, 2018, 02:25:11 am »

Well, the wrestler who murdered the old, cool mayor and immediately took his place has begun to go loopy, but he's still one of my fort's best wrestlers and the only one so far other than the captain of the guard/should-be-champion-but-isn't-anymore-due-to-bug to straight up explode several people and creatures with barehanded punches without suffering any real injuries in return. Should I just assign a new mayor frequently enough to keep him out of office or arrange for a raid on the local dark goblin fortress with an absurdly powerful salt demon?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52467 on: July 03, 2018, 03:44:56 am »

One of my monster slayers has been missing for a week. The only clue I have is that he was last reported fighting a giant rat next to a gaping magma tube. The fight seems to have ended abruptly right after the slayer dodged the rat's attack. What could possibly have happened? It's a mystery!  :)

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52468 on: July 03, 2018, 08:25:32 am »

when my queen was conveniently tragically killed in action during a goblin siege, we just went back to having a mayor. Is your game modded besides a few edits to the d_init file?
Yeah, back to a Mayor as best noble, baron died too, but the bit where they're called Miner or Woodcutter, one of them is "boss". Reader best skill I think, who knows. :D

Mods are only leather as meat, which is leather having a couple tags and a different reaction for tanning, and ... my custom icons and colours.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52469 on: July 03, 2018, 02:40:41 pm »

Sixteen dwarven warlords have gone missing today.

After fighting off a rather large force of darkness, no casualties aside from a single foot, sixteen of our twenty warlords were returning to the fort, about to use the artifact door saliport to reenter the fortress. They went by the main gatehouse. In celebration of our victory, all the goblinite was ordered melted and the main gate opened.

Last reports of the missing dwarves was standing by the gatehouse, rather excited over their victory.

Searches for the missing dwarves will never commence. It was inevitable.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 3496 3497 [3498] 3499 3500 ... 3842