Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3444 3445 [3446] 3447 3448 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094767 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51675 on: January 31, 2018, 06:11:12 pm »

'Twins have hatched'
Is that normal for cave dragons, to lack a creature name, and to spawn adults from eggs instead of hatchlings?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51676 on: January 31, 2018, 06:30:41 pm »

Yes. They and regular dragons lack neccessary tokens for being "children" - IIRC its also why their offspring is always semi-feral.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51677 on: January 31, 2018, 06:32:50 pm »

Ahwell, I'll enable animal training on one or two more dwarves then. Or perhaps on my goblin, having the goblin train the cave dragons seems fitting, since their sieges can bring them as mounts.

EDIT: If I change the save raws to make cave dragons take 100 years to mature instead of 1000, will new dragons hatched from my eggs use those new raws?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:03:02 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #51678 on: February 01, 2018, 12:32:52 pm »

I think so (the raws for animals can update without remaking the world, I think)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51679 on: February 01, 2018, 05:24:48 pm »

I think so (the raws for animals can update without remaking the world, I think)
Which makes me wonder what happens if you increased the child length of dwarves

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51680 on: February 01, 2018, 08:16:55 pm »

Most likely, new chidlren born will take longer to age.
Does make me wonder, is there any genetic transfer from parent to child/egg, or are children and eggs just created 100% from creature raws?

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51681 on: February 02, 2018, 09:13:52 am »

I just got into a war with a second goblin civilization that was previously 'no contact' after one of my dwarves was spotted stealing a codex.

The first goblin civilization has been getting its butt kicked by a local human civilization (also 'no contact' apparently) and no site has more than around 30 population. So roll on the FUN! Except, that'll just add more to my huge hauling backlog.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #51682 on: February 02, 2018, 04:10:24 pm »

Does make me wonder, is there any genetic transfer from parent to child/egg, or are children and eggs just created 100% from creature raws?

There's supposed to be some type of genetics system, but I don't think it's functional at the moment
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51683 on: February 02, 2018, 04:55:21 pm »

There's supposed to be some type of genetics system, but I don't think it's functional at the moment
Currently it's just physical appearances. If you take a close look at your dwarves, you'll see they tend to have similar skin, eye, and hair colors. This is because they are all descended from the same ten worldgen dwarves.

Radray

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51684 on: February 02, 2018, 11:30:52 pm »

For my current fort, I choose to cut off the fort from the rest of the world to the best of my abilities and it seems my scholars are convinced that they are the last of their civilization or that the mountainhome had lied to or betrayed them. Now it seems that the scholars have chosen to focus on diplomacy for their writings.

Just now, a merchant drowned under misterious circumstances on his way to my fortress. When I examined the corpse, he had a book on him that talked about flotation devices and buoyancy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51685 on: February 03, 2018, 10:12:26 am »

Marksdwarf training is working too well. If I set all 5 archery targets in my archery room to allow my 5 elves to train, the five of them will use up bone bolts faster than a single dedicated dwarf can produce them.
I need more bonecarvers.

EDIT: in other news, OUCH! That must have been a heavy delivery. Giant elephant gave birth to twins and apparently that caused her to skid.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:10:42 am by martinuzz »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51686 on: February 03, 2018, 05:53:13 pm »

A miner and a planter got into an argument at the farms. The miner beat the planter enough to break bones.

But what the miner didn't know, is that the planter's father is the fort's legendary champion soldier, the leader of the entire military - and the moment he heard of his son getting beat up, he rushed down and beat the miner even harder as revenge for his son.

So the miner is in the hospital with multiple fractures now. Family matters!

Also got an artifact request:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's one of my own fort's artifacts. Not stolen or raided from somewhere else - one of my fort's originals. I very much denied this elf fuck's request and he left the map. Just waiting for the siege now, I guess?

Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51687 on: February 03, 2018, 06:02:11 pm »

- I'm here to claim the treasure. I'm going to return it to it's rightful home.
- Oh, aye? Where's that then?
- An unknown building
- OK...

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51688 on: February 03, 2018, 06:17:17 pm »

- An unknown building
- OK...

The weird thing is, that the person "Kib Bitewound" died 11 years ago, before my fort was even made. So how could this quester, who started his journey "a week ago" request an artifact in Kib's name, an artifact that was made in my fort by one of my dwarves?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51689 on: February 03, 2018, 06:31:38 pm »

- An unknown building
- OK...

The weird thing is, that the person "Kib Bitewound" died 11 years ago, before my fort was even made. So how could this quester, who started his journey "a week ago" request an artifact in Kib's name, an artifact that was made in my fort by one of my dwarves?
Did the artifact's original creator die? Is the original creator related to Kib in any way? It might have been inherited by someone descended from Kib. Alternatively, the elf is just lying/it's a bug.

Kib Bitewound is a cool name.
Pages: 1 ... 3444 3445 [3446] 3447 3448 ... 3842