Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3443 3444 [3445] 3446 3447 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094976 times)

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51660 on: January 25, 2018, 02:47:58 pm »

The dwarves of Tempesthome are building a golden ziggurat containing an obsidian cube over a lava vent in the deepest caverns. (They would have built it over the volcano they embarked upon, but it doesn’t vent out in the embark zone's skybox). Except the cavern's ceilings are too low, so they're excavating out the roof. Who would have thought that pyramid construction would be so awkward?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51661 on: January 25, 2018, 03:04:28 pm »

I decided to send the new recruits after some troglodytse, figured it'd be easy combat-training.

Three of them died.

By drowning.

I had to send a more seasoned squad in the clean up the mess.

Otherwise, things are quiet. I had to build an icy staircase at the top of a waterfall because a few marksdwarves had somehow got stuck on the waterfall while it was frozen. Now, for aesthetic reasons, I'm waiting for the next freeze so I can deconstruct the emergency stairs.

Trying to decide whether to retire while the going is good or go for the monarchy. There's a hillock nearby that I'm tempted to balance an entire castle on, just for fun. But that would be a lot of work and I'd also like to expand this civilization's empire, which currently consists of my current fort and the mountainhome.

Decisions, decisions...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51662 on: January 25, 2018, 05:38:19 pm »

Beautifully executed goblin attack.

A snatcher was spotted, and rather than fleeing he charged my cage trapped entrance. Dorfs came to haul him away and, "An ambush! Curse them!". 6 crossbow goblins appeared out of nowhere and a fight started. Two dead dorfs. 2 dead goblins. 3 in cages and 1 limping for the border.

It's almost as if the game's working again. :)

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51663 on: January 26, 2018, 04:26:24 pm »

Making a huge run or armor and weapons to fill out another military squad, and the already experienced squaddies in established units keep picking up the choicest pieces for themselves. That's fine, since they're all professional soldiers and this gear is for use by civil defense squads (filled with people who'd be distracted without being able to practice a military skill but who I don't have any need for or are too valuable to be put into a squad of regulars) but it's still funny to see them constantly dropping whatever they were doing to run to the forge and get a slightly shinier cap or mail shirt while the new guys have to make do with low-quality hand me downs.

This is one of the several reasons that I assign specific gear - every single piece - to every single military dwarf in my fortress.  Yes, it is tedious, but I can completely control who wears what, which is a massive benefit (at least to me)!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51664 on: January 26, 2018, 05:52:35 pm »

A monster hunter was bitten by a nosferatu in the caverns, and turned about a season later. Ive had to confine him to a small side chamber. The silk farm is going better than expected, though. I have more experiments in mind. Should be fun
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51665 on: January 26, 2018, 06:16:00 pm »

A fight broke out in my dining room, this one lethal. Expedition leader and the outpost liaison got into fisticuffs, which resulted in the nearby swordsman slicing off the liaisons head.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Radray

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51666 on: January 27, 2018, 03:45:07 am »

I've had 2 separate weresheep attacks on my current fort. Both were slain but not before infecting 2 of my miners in each of the attacks.

In other news, a monster slayer hammerdwarf managed to take on a forgotten beast that shot webs by himself. For whatever reason, the beast chose to never spew webs at the hero.
Just now, a merchant drowned under misterious circumstances on his way to my fortress. When I examined the corpse, he had a book on him that talked about flotation devices and buoyancy.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51667 on: January 28, 2018, 09:10:04 pm »

My new migrants in 44_05 version, are worshiping all 12 dieties.... Guess I'll need to set up the shrines sooner than later.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #51668 on: January 29, 2018, 01:17:05 am »

Do generic temples still work as well as assigned temples?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51669 on: January 29, 2018, 03:35:54 am »

My new migrants in 44_05 version, are worshiping all 12 dieties.... Guess I'll need to set up the shrines sooner than later.

Do generic temples still work as well as assigned temples?

Temples to single deities are buggy. Dwarves that worship multiple deities will get stuck in them praying to just one of the required deities. This behaviour will trigger when they have a bright yellow need for more than one of their gods.

Use generic temples for now unless you want to micromanage the fuck out of your dwarves using a burrows and locked door trick. Generic temples are not bugged (they were too but Toady One fixed those), dwarves will rotate praying to all their gods in those just fine.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168760.0
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:50:47 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51670 on: January 29, 2018, 10:38:55 am »

It has been quiet, lots of dumping. Though one of the founding three just got mangled by a giant buzzard. I think he'll live, though for some reason he's not going to the hospital, even with heavy bleeding.

I think I will have to go ahead and build that castle.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #51671 on: January 29, 2018, 12:45:57 pm »

work on hollowing out the world is going a bit faster than I expected (guess thats because I have 7 miners)
progress: 25% of a large mountain has been hollowed out

I built some floors and muddied them to make the farms (it's kinda amazing to see the hanging gardens of babylon on a much bigger scale growing mushrooms)
unfortenetly I have not been able to make proper bedrooms yet (they are sleeping on a small bit of floor I ended up not using for the farms)
next project: bedrooms/dining hall
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51672 on: January 30, 2018, 04:43:04 pm »

Yay!

All those various war trainable breeders are starting to impact my FPS more than I'd like.
I think the Giant War Elephants are the main culprit, for most others I can keep the majority in a cage. Don't want to cull them though, my walking mountains don't take 1000 years to grow up like the dragons do.

I guess I could get rid of my llamas, I have more wool stored than moods will ever need.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 04:48:42 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51673 on: January 31, 2018, 11:28:57 am »

Just getting back into playing DF after taking a few years off, and learning the new features.  I was pleased to see that I got some visiting monster slayers after breaching the caverns, but was not pleased with their efforts.

A swordsdwarf from afar came and descended into the caverns to invite a GCS into my fort.  It webbed and killed him, then maimed a marksdwarf that also showed up to slay monsters.  One of my kobolds (playing a modded game) walked by, and I was sure she'd be killed too.  Fortunately, she decided to just punch the spider in the body, which smushed its brain and killed it in one hit.  Awesome stuff, but it's too bad I don't have an anvil and can't make gear for her to join the military.

I later greatly regretted the lack of a military when a weregecko showed up.  My starting militia commander stabbed it in the foot, stabbed it in the heart and then spilled its guts with her spear, but it bit her before it died.  Oh boy.  Never had anyone actually contract werecreature curses this way, but I'm wary that this time I'll get to see it.

Sure enough, I get an undead siege about a game week later, despite not being anywhere near a tower.  I guess it's a roving army?  In any case, the zombies all hang around on the edge of the map instead of coming inside for some reason, except for one zombie who wanders up.  About 10 kobolds take turns beating on the zombie to no avail while it slowly breaks all of their limbs, until the injured militia commander comes up and cuts its head off.

By this point, fearing that she'll turn into a weregecko, I send her to deal with more of the zombies hanging around the map edge.  Halfway there... she transforms.  A single zombie with a steel spear engages her and kills her almost immediately.  Oh, sure, when I'm fighting werecreatures they're unstoppable beasts that feel no pain nor fear, but when it's my werecreature, they die like a pansy.

At this point, with no military and no way to acquire or make equipment, I decide to abandon the fort and try again, making sure I can embark with an anvil this time...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51674 on: January 31, 2018, 05:29:48 pm »

That's weird. How far away did the zombies come from? Had you been raiding their tower previously?
Pages: 1 ... 3443 3444 [3445] 3446 3447 ... 3842