Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3442 3443 [3444] 3445 3446 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094931 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51645 on: January 23, 2018, 03:09:51 am »

Giant Elephants take forever to breed. Looks like their pregnancy takes 10 years or somesuch, I'm having birth waves once every decade.
It has to be mating that's taking so long; as far as I know pregnancy is hard-coded to nine months.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51646 on: January 23, 2018, 03:51:18 am »

Welcomed our first goblin citizen, looked at his skillset, and immediately promoted him to broker.
Goblins and elves, being immortal, tend to get very good at socializing.
Wait, wait, goblins are immortal?
Sure. They don't need to eat or drink either (but like to do so, so can be killed by a well placed tavern keeper).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51647 on: January 23, 2018, 07:13:21 am »

I get the feeling books are a bit borked.
I bought several masterful works that concern values.
For instance, I have a masterwork that concerns the value of knowledge. I do not have books that concern the worthlessness of knowledge, nor do I have books that concern the nuances of knowledge.

Yet, My entire population now has 'thinks that the pursuit of knowledge is a delusional fantasy' in their prefs.
Or, I have 2 books that concern the value of craftmanship, and another one that concerns the value of hard work.

Yet, all my dwarves now have the 'doesn't particularily care about craftsdwarfship' and 'doesn't really see the point of working hard' prefs.

I think books are borked, and they produce the exact opposite effect of what they should.

EDIT: in other news, I just appointed my only goblin as the hammerer. Let's see what a little cruelty can do with an -adamantine warhammer-

EDIT2: FINALLY!. Captured a fourth GCS. Now I can start breeding them, because for some reason the wild ones refused to breed. Now I can make the trained ones make more trained ones that I can either tame, or let revert to wild if my original wild ones die.

EDIT3: Speaking of breeding. Dear 6 breeding pairs of dwarves. Why are 90% of all your children female? How am I supposed to continue your bloodlines like that?

EDIT4: Cool, there's a new dance in town. Apparently it's a dance without music or song, there's no one playing instruments or singing. Hmm, description says it should have 2 singers.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:25:10 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51648 on: January 23, 2018, 11:41:35 am »

That moment when a goblin siege shows up while you're halfway through sorting out the crap from the previous siege, just barely got the booby traps cleared.

I'd planned to slay them in the fort, but a confused archer marched up to the front lines, and I'd ordered a combat squad to rescue him (belatedly) that then required backup, and so the battle was joined. A merc got mangled when he dove into a pond and his comrades dove on top of him, but elsewise it was a very clean lawnmowing operation. Archers and traps pick off the first wave, then the melee charges in and picks up the rest.

And at least now I have a bunch of raw goblinite to sell to my fellow dwarves back at the mountainhome. Our duchess's love affair with bins has made trading very irksome since all of our crafts and gems are all stuck in bins and it's just too much bother to sort them out.

And I set up a squad of fresh recruits, just in case. I don't think they'd even started training yet. The captain is currently lost in literature at the library.

This fort will last 1000 years at this rate. I think it might be time to tie it off once I get a few mode details done, like surface greenhouses. Not much left to do and it'd be a shame to smash it, especially since this particular dwarven civilization only has two sites. There is a larger campaign to consider.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51649 on: January 23, 2018, 11:44:01 am »

Welcomed our first goblin citizen, looked at his skillset, and immediately promoted him to broker.
Goblins and elves, being immortal, tend to get very good at socializing.

"The dude's an absolute prick, but damned if he isn't good at bartering."
Damned straight.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #51650 on: January 23, 2018, 05:34:32 pm »

Had to reinstall. Didn't notice until after I set up her temple that one of my gods is Dobarreg The Creative Glove, goddess of labor, craft, creation, family, and death. Checked the Legends, and indeed she has created many necromancers, included several kings and queens of our empire -- all of whom died of old age. o.O

I'm kinda grumpy, honestly. My previous world had a dwarven god who regularly inspired dwarves to write books after praying to him. I was going to design my entire fort around his worship and hope he'd inspire one of my dwarves to write a book. But every time I try to load it, it says it is missing FAKE_SEED_TEMPLATE and crashes.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51651 on: January 23, 2018, 08:52:47 pm »

I had to turn invaders to off temporarly, as it took nearly 6 months to finally dump all those truckload of useless items and non usable sentient corpses left behind by the numerous invasions i had in the last few years of my fortress, i couldn't have enough time to clean the result of an invasion due to how slow dwarves are with their work that another was coming, stopping all effort.

But finally i was able to get things as cleared as possible and ended in the atom smasher with a couple thousand of things that were then eliminated.

Time for the to finally offer to upgrade my fort into a Barony, it's about time considering the requirement were met at least 8 years ago. So not going to turn invaders back on before i'm finished with the future baron rooms.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51652 on: January 23, 2018, 10:06:21 pm »

The new squad is too busy praying, reading, and socializing to actually, you know, train.

Dorfs these days. No discipline, I tell you.  ::)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #51653 on: January 23, 2018, 10:11:49 pm »

The new squad is too busy praying, reading, and socializing to actually, you know, train.

I just had that complaint, and when the giant showed up, I discovered that I had forgot to put them on an active training schedule.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51654 on: January 23, 2018, 10:51:48 pm »

I just had that complaint, and when the giant showed up, I discovered that I had forgot to put them on an active training schedule.
These guys are on "active duty." They're in uniform. They're just still spending all their time in recreational activities.

Oh right...I forgot to assign them to the barracks. Derp.  :-[

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #51655 on: January 23, 2018, 11:21:28 pm »

So it turned out that they were praying for a barracks of their own someday?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51656 on: January 24, 2018, 08:21:58 am »

Or researching them, or trying to drum up political support for their cause in the tavern.... :D

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51657 on: January 24, 2018, 09:03:53 am »

Snap! Totally forgot that GCS give birth to adult offspring. Means I can never fully tame them, restricting my population to how many workload my animal trainers can handle :P   
sneakedit: Ofcourse I could just put them in a cage and let them all revert to wild. Wild GCS might even be better to use against enemies than trained/tame ones.

EDIT: yay, training for my medics. Also wtf, how does a near weightless addy hammer still manage to do that?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The goblin hammerer has brain like how has confused now
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OHGODS IT HAS BEGUN

EDIT: Whee! A female cave dragon wandered into my traps. And awwwwww. Looking at their raws, I forgot to make them grow to full size in 100 years instead of 1000.
If I do that to the save raws now, will this apply to newly born cave dragons, or am I stuck with the 1000 years?

Related: I still don't understand why I am getting cave dragons in the first place. I thought their [EVIL] tag meant they would only spawn in evil biomes? (I am on a savage good biome)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:38:36 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51658 on: January 24, 2018, 06:43:16 pm »

Related: I still don't understand why I am getting cave dragons in the first place. I thought their [EVIL] tag meant they would only spawn in evil biomes? (I am on a savage good biome)
Caves don't care about alignment. Trolls are evil too but they still appear everywhere.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51659 on: January 24, 2018, 08:37:29 pm »

Making a huge run or armor and weapons to fill out another military squad, and the already experienced squaddies in established units keep picking up the choicest pieces for themselves. That's fine, since they're all professional soldiers and this gear is for use by civil defense squads (filled with people who'd be distracted without being able to practice a military skill but who I don't have any need for or are too valuable to be put into a squad of regulars) but it's still funny to see them constantly dropping whatever they were doing to run to the forge and get a slightly shinier cap or mail shirt while the new guys have to make do with low-quality hand me downs.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 3442 3443 [3444] 3445 3446 ... 3842