Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3430 3431 [3432] 3433 3434 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096457 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51465 on: January 07, 2018, 04:07:59 pm »

Sometimes, I have my moments of brilliance. I designated a 1x1 zone over the nest boxes and allocated the turtles to it. They are still in their shells, not moving.
BUT THEY DID LAY EGGS!!!!!

There's a giant elephant stuck up a tree.

My woodcutter just cut down the tree and is now running around the map in panic. "I must withdraw!"
Can't stop laughing at picturing the situation. I mean. I mean, what would you do when you were peacefully cutting down a tree, and suddenly a 100 ton giant elephant drops next to your feet?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:28:13 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51466 on: January 07, 2018, 04:44:22 pm »

My woodcutter just cut down the tree and is now running around the map in panic. "I must withdraw!"
Can't stop laughing at picturing the situation. I mean. I mean, what would you do when you were peacefully cutting down a tree, and suddenly a 100 ton giant elephant drops next to your feet?

I'm picturing an even better situation than that: The tree is very slowly starting to topple over, with your woodcutter running in little circles right under the elephant as it comes down. "Oh, no, what'll I do, what'll I do?!"
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51467 on: January 07, 2018, 05:04:37 pm »

What is the landing zone? Less dense floors apparently deal less damage.
I believe the damage calculation is done in such a way, that the landing tile is considered the weapon, moving with momentum of the falling creature.

Hm, the ones I've seen recently, the landing zone was natural outdoor floors.

In the past, the floors were various, some natural floors, others were constructed stone. But all falls were lethal at 15z-levels in the past.  ???

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51468 on: January 07, 2018, 05:11:50 pm »

Just my luck. The giant tortoise male is asexual.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51469 on: January 07, 2018, 05:48:01 pm »

it is time to begin Operation: Break in Case of Emergency in Spokenportal.

Not sure if it's still the case but in 44.02 you could place multiple items on a single pedestal.

The plan: Install display cases in strategic locations (also outside of every bedroom), ensuring that each has a full set of Masterwork weapons and armor.

Also possibly emergency booze supply?

On top of this, the bunker (the huge bunker) for my primary matriarch (5 kids, youngest a baby, and counting) is coming along nicely. It is fully enclosed along the first cavern, and we are channeling out areas for trees to grow  (tallest location is 3z atm), there's plenty of room for crops, and this will be our primary non-grazer pet stockpile. We are planning on digging out a currently completely untouched soil layer and turning that into one giant pasture.

Our primary matriarch is butcher/tanner/leatherworker/bone carver, and our primary patriarch is our (Legendary [19]) Brewer.

Right now the population cap is at 25, actual population 29 dwarves, 1 human monster slayer (that needs to die so we can accomplish our "capture all Forgotten Beasts" challenge)--with 6 dwarven children, 2 babies at the moment. All set at the standard 12 year cycle.

I'm aiming for a 100 year fort, capturing all forgotten beasts, titans, and other (semi-) megabeasts that wander onto the map. (1 FB trapped atm, the other hanging around at a map edge. We have a secondary entrance right next to him prepared, just haven't gone for him yet. they're both web spitters. Also someone keeps throwing the useless building destroyer magnet levers we had built next to the first FB entrance [right next to the dogs])

As well as breeding partner for our Giant Rhino, a breeding pair of Giant Elephants, and a breeding pair of Gigantic Tortoises.

....also our Noble has a Masterwork Wagon bed. Which I thought was pretty funny. Not sure how it happened.

Oooooooh..... New plan. Caged male surrounded by 4 1-square nest box pastures with females assigned to them. could have multiple species of males in the same cage.

Caged males are still capable of breeding, assuming the female can approach the cage.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:04:28 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51470 on: January 07, 2018, 06:27:58 pm »

Giant elephants are war trainable. Selective breeding program initiated. Butchering dogs.

EDIT: stacks of 1301 giant elephant meat. Those roasts will make great gifts.
Also, forget giant tortoises. I have gigantic tortoises now. They are so heavy that when one hid in it's shield on top of my steel drawbridge entrance to the fort, the drawbridge refused to lift when I pulled the lever.

EDIT: giant elephants are strange creatures. According to my food stockpile, they have 24 hearts, 96 lungs, 48 kidneys and one eye.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:24:09 pm by martinuzz »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51471 on: January 07, 2018, 07:30:39 pm »

EDIT: giant elephants are strange creatures. According to my food stockpile, they have 24 hearts, 96 lungs, 48 kidneys and one eye.
I believe that is actually portions of each material.  So 1 heart = 24 individual Urists of food, which makes sense, considering the size of the animal.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51472 on: January 07, 2018, 07:32:31 pm »

A dwarven syrup roast with giant elephant meat sells for 470k dwarfbucks. I know many an artefact that is worth less.
The roasts (and the elephant meatstacks) are too large to fit in minecarts. I must take care not to overwhelm my quantum input stockpiles with them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:39:37 pm by martinuzz »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51473 on: January 07, 2018, 08:28:12 pm »

I think the outpost liaison is a vampire. Measures may have to be taken.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51474 on: January 07, 2018, 08:28:50 pm »

After some false starts, I found one of those beautiful river valleys with a huge waterfall leading to a canyon in which the stream widens to a minor river. The view was breathtaking.

That sounds really nice, care to post the seed please?
Let me figure out how to do that and I'll try to get around to it?

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51475 on: January 08, 2018, 12:53:19 am »

Got a big idea for a tavern, and implemented the boring part, which consists of a pillar running from the bottom of the canyon to the top. I intend to build the tavern on top of that pillar.

On a grim note, the militia commander was sparring with a swordsdwarf. The swordsdwarf charged, and barrelled over the commander with such force that they both fell through a wall to the other side...

...onto a 30 z level drop onto the frozen riverbed. Both bodies burst on impact.  :-\

Make your exterior walls three thick, so that dwarves can't teleport through them to their doom, make blocks then construct walls using the blocks, I've had dwarves dodge incoming arrow fire and jump through the carved fortifications they were sheltering behind.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51476 on: January 08, 2018, 02:11:05 am »

The elves brought a giant elephant. I offered them something made of wood, so I seized all the animals in cages and all the food they had.

No way in hell am I passing up a giant elephant.

now if only I could get a breeding partner for my giant elephant/rhino.

I am but two creatures away from greatness.

In other news, my Chief Medical Dwarf married my Stonecrafter.

This makes THREE married couples. Hopefully three different sets of kids. Currently 7 kids, 1 baby. I'm hoping for another birth or two (or THREE) soon.

Are twins/triplets a thing?
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51477 on: January 08, 2018, 02:39:14 am »

Twins are rare but they're a thing.

I'm hearing a lot about elephants lately. Did the bug get fixed where their hunger increased faster than they could graze?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51478 on: January 08, 2018, 02:48:50 am »

Twins are rare but they're a thing.

I'm hearing a lot about elephants lately. Did the bug get fixed where their hunger increased faster than they could graze?
Yes

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51479 on: January 08, 2018, 05:35:03 am »

Today my engraver caught fire tapping a volcano--surprisingly rare for me--continued to burn for half a season without harm (No idea. I did not disable temperature.) until I could get them to stand still near a pond long enough to channel them down, then briefly flood the chamber.
I successfully extinguished a !!dwarf!!.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.
Pages: 1 ... 3430 3431 [3432] 3433 3434 ... 3842