Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3428 3429 [3430] 3431 3432 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096487 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51435 on: January 02, 2018, 09:43:56 pm »

How is that bad in any way. Those are fantastic names. I recommend more beer.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51436 on: January 02, 2018, 10:10:13 pm »

Finally! Year 30 of my fort, and I had my first tavern brawl between a visiting elf dancer and a semi-resident goblin
The goblin is in hospital for finger surgery and various wound dressings and suturing, the elf has a hand mangled beyond recognition.

In other news, my periodic library time for everyone is paying off. I now have two masters with a combined total of 4 apprentices, they're busy teaching and learning various topics.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:13:18 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #51437 on: January 03, 2018, 03:23:39 am »

Previous post

-----

Life found a way ! ;D

My 30 crawling babies never grew up. I locked them in a room to starve to death. They were still babies, but ate way too much for the nurses to handle.

The tavern was useless.
But one nesting box of my dead married female had some eggs left in it. Fertilized eggs that that female laid before her death !
The eggs hatched and fully grown dwarves came out of it !!

Manies babies have hatched !

11 fully grown adults.
They are ready to procreate.
And I just happen to have 3 unused nurses. Good !

-----

So, I arranged marriages between less than 1 month olds, and mature females.
I don't even feel bad about that.

I managed to set up two married couples out of the hatched babies adults.
The nurses laid eggs, which hatched by winter.

-----

So, as it stand now, almost everyone in the fort is from the same family :
- I have the 11 adults hatched without their mother. They are all siblings.
- Two of these 11 married two of the nurses.
- Each nurse gave one "house" of dwarves (house A, of 15 souls; and house B, of 18 souls)

-> Dwarves of the same house are siblings.
-> Dwarves of different houses are cousins.

* Reads wiki *

I can make marriage happen amongst cousins ! :P

* Sets up honeymoon rooms *

And eventually, this happens !

Urist Mc House A and Urist Mc House B have married ! Congratulations !

And soon enough, more marriages, and more babies adults happen.
At year 3, I have 140 dwarves in my fortress 8)

So, I believe, I have successfully revived dwarvenkind at this point :)

I just have to be carefull to mix houses enough so I can always breed more dwarves through consanguineous shenanigans, and I should be OK.
Except, maybe, for the 140 coffins I will have to get for next Spring.
Many dead dwarves in this mod... It could be Fun to play in a succession game maybe.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:38:10 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51438 on: January 03, 2018, 06:58:16 am »

Strange. I modded children to grow up at age five..in the latest version

Immediately on creating a grand underground tavern (my first), forty armsmen and other personalities arrived and settled into the bare interior, bringing with them fifteen artifacts, books and scrolls.

I have three year olds arriving with dabbling combat skills, twelve year Olds arriving with an immense repertoire of music, dance and poetry, and a ninety five year old whose only skill is dabbling Gelder.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51439 on: January 03, 2018, 10:03:30 am »

I should stop accepting new residents. With the latest addition of a 6-man strong performing troupe, I'm up to 65 population now, and FPS has dropped to 55-60 out of 72 max. When the caravans are there, it's around 35-40. Still, not bad. Contemplating breaching a cavern, I want a GCS silk farm.

Heh, one of the new performing troupe's elves is a elf that's older than the world. He has the appearance of someone 406 years old. Made a statue, still shows the same elf, I guess it's just a worldgen elf and not a vampire. The elf is also apprentice to the accompanying goblin poet, just like a second elf.
Brings my elf total up to 7, the Pointy Spears has a fighting chance now.

EDIT: ohno, Pointy Tears has been elected mayor. My duke/expedition leader is not happy. I now have a dwarf fort run by an elf dancer from before the beginning of time
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:59:57 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51440 on: January 03, 2018, 08:27:47 pm »

Except, maybe, for the 140 coffins I will have to get for next Spring.
Many dead dwarves in this mod... It could be Fun to play in a succession game maybe.
I would love it if resurrection worked completely as intended, letting you control the revived dwarves. Remove mod, activate resurrection interaction, watch your fort grow a thousand dwarves strong in a week.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51441 on: January 04, 2018, 12:01:34 am »

It had been a while i have not pierced multiple aquifers.

So today i tried as there was a very good location with nearly every thing in the ground, but that had aquifer and sadly multiple levels.

I went with the usual documented method for multiple aquifer layers :
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Double-slit_method

After a long long time i finally was starting to pierce the 3rd level of aquifer, damn it made me remember why i hate multiple levels, it takes so long and with these annoying cascade of cancellation (even with blocks instead of logs) and dwarves having to sleep regularly instead of operating pumps nonstop for months :D.

Then after a while i noticed that the cancellation was getting worser, in fact that 3rd layer was incredibly long to pierce, i couldn't understand why this one was specifically getting out of hand with the dwarves refusing to even approach.
And after a long long time they finally completed a wall to consolidate the layer, and when i started the 2nd wall , a dwarf just was dead drowned, then the pump operator fled as their area was becoming dangerous.

I checked what the hell happened and their area was now under water too.
Huh ?
I didn't understood at first what the hell was happening differently for that layer, until i checked somehow what it was made of.... obsidian ... i was in fact working on a non-aquifer layer without having correctly checked what it was made of.
And so the last level of aquifer i had not treated it as the last level, and according to the double slit method it was a fatal mistake as there was no recovery from the flood of water there anymore.

Damn, all that time wasted because on the peaking i was just checking "damp" to see if there was yet another layer below the one i was working already, instead of reading the complete "damp whatever" as the whatever is more important than the "damp" when not all type of layer can contain aquifer.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer#Where_they_are_found

I remember now why i hate those multi-layer aquifer.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51442 on: January 04, 2018, 12:05:55 am »

Don't worry mate, I've played for 12 years now and never completed a double slit multilayer aquifer embark beyond trying for a few dwarfmonths and going 'screw it', without the pumps. It's just not fun, and too tedious. In fact, for the past 10 years, I've created worlds were most stone and soil layers have had their aquifer tags removed. Nothing more sad than to embark on a nice looking spot only to find out there's a 3 layer aquifer spoiling all plans.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:07:37 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51443 on: January 04, 2018, 12:37:50 am »

Uh-oh. Apparently appointing a hammerer increased punishment for violating duke's export bans, from what used to be 101 days in jail, to 5 hammerstrikes per exported item.

Well, I guess it's time to put that adamantine hammer I made for the hammerer to the test. If all is well, there shouldn't be any other hammers lying about my fort. My artefact platinum hammer is safely in the hands of my militia commander.

Fun fact: my duke's the hammerer, he's dealing out the punishment for failing his bans this time.

EDIT: heh, interestingly, those dwarves that are in the captain of the guard's squad do not get hammerstrike punishment, instead, they get jail time.
I'm being spammed with cancellation messages now, dwarf cancels jail dwarf: in custody. I guess that will go on for 56 days, until one is released and can jail the other.

Ah, the spam ended, the job was transferred to another member of the police when the chained one went on a eat/drink or sleep job.
4 dwarves were hammered, result: 1 smashed finger, which was mended by some surgery and suturing faster than the hammerer could finish hammering the remaining 2 dwarves. Adamantine warhammers are reasonably safe. Especially if all your dwarves wear steel helmets to reduce the chance of accidental skull through brain smashing.

Lessons learned:
-disable tade good hauling on police members to prevent cancellation spam.
- equip all dwarves with gauntlets, or weaponize hammerstrikes to produce legendary biters

As for my duke, 'he was exhilarated after beating somebody with a hammer'

EDIT: heh, interesting. Apparently dealing out hammerstrikes does not train hammerdwarf skill. I am not sure, but it looks like it does train misc. obj. user skill.

EDIT: in other news, a semi-permanent resident just got posessed and made a rock ring. Even though he is not a member yet of my group, he donated it to my group, Bronzehammer the Bane of Bones, just while I was wondering what would happen if he donated it to his own human group. Would they come for it?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:15:45 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51444 on: January 04, 2018, 02:46:35 am »

My chief medical dwarf just wrote a book about a war dog that was assigned to him many years ago, and died of old age long ago.

'Catten Yellsyrups and the Thrall'
It concerns the dog Catten Yellsyrups. The overall text emphasizes the value of craftmanship. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best. The work has two chapters.
The first chapter covers the status of the dog Catten Yellsyrups as the owner of the dwarf 'Medic of Seven' in the early winter of 257. The second chapter covers the fatal illness of the dog Catten Yellsyrups in Maggothold in the early spring of 260.

Wonder if this is specific to assigned wardogs, or if maybe something got messed up with pets in general, with my cats not adopting, yet showing up as passing acquaintances in dwarf relation lists.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51445 on: January 04, 2018, 02:03:51 pm »

Don't worry mate, I've played for 12 years now and never completed a double slit multilayer aquifer embark beyond trying for a few dwarfmonths and going 'screw it', without the pumps. It's just not fun, and too tedious. In fact, for the past 10 years, I've created worlds were most stone and soil layers have had their aquifer tags removed. Nothing more sad than to embark on a nice looking spot only to find out there's a 3 layer aquifer spoiling all plans.

I agree, usually when i discover that the aquifer level is more than 1 layer , i usually give up because it's indeed no fun at all and so tedious due to the heavy amount of cancellation (wish Toady would have setup a way to tweak how fast aquifer water fill a tile or at least would have allowed worldgen to control how many aquifer layer you want in your world) you have to reset manually hundred of time (and that with blocks, i don't even want to imagine if i was only using simple logs for the walling)

But this time i had to try to remember how much i hate this.

And to my surprise after the horrible failure due to my miscalculation (from my previous post) of how many aquifer layers there truly was in my embark, i restarted in another location from scratch with the advantage this time of knowing exactly where the aquifer last layer is

I was happy that finally i completed my punching through the multi layered aquifer !

Here's a screenshot of what was the last aquifer layer , the bottom right was my failure (as i was thinking the layer below was still an aquifer and so was building on that layer wrongly, unfortunately unrecoverable as water would'nt be absorbed then by below layer and so any more pump attempt would only drown dwarves, as it did when i noticed the problem)

Now i'll be able to finally reach those nice underground metal and etc that the embark location was supposed to have.

Unfortunately i lost many dwarves during that boring, very boring and very tedious multi layer aquifer punching.
Oh , only 1 dwarf was lost in the original failed attempt , the other dwarves were lost due to a were-thing attack and a couple of dwarves going berzerk (and so killed) as i didn't yet had time to build anything to improve their happiness.

I worry a bit about the were-thing attack, i have no idea yet if any of the dwarves that survived the fight haven't been turned.
Oh well, more fun coming i guess after all that boring and tedious multilayer aquifer punching.
Probably the last time i ever do a multilayer aquifer punching, probably the most unfun DF time i ever had.

edit : about the were-thing situation, i didn't had to wait that much to know
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's going to be a disaster :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:09:39 pm by Robsoie »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51446 on: January 04, 2018, 04:03:42 pm »

The fort was attacked by goblins the second time. Another all-bowgobbo squad, this time eighteen strong. I decided my second squad was trained enough (all weaponmasters but not yet legendary), so it was go time for them, along with the four of the first squad of course. Surprisingly, one dwarf soldier got hurt: the human captain of the second squad got a bolt in the left lung, permanently disabling it. (All goblin fighters died, along with an unmasked goblin thief on the way)

Only after the fight did i remember to check the second squad's equipment setup and sure enough, they hadn't been issued full armour yet; all they had were shields and helmets. Well, seems like dodging & blocking with proficient+ skill is almost sufficient protection against basic ranged goblins; i issued body armour and greaves to the squad in the meantime, but am not sure how much difference that makes. PS in case there are any misunderstandings: that pierced lung was the only hit the gobbos landed in the entire fight, every other bolt was blocked or dodged. The hit might also have been helped by the captain repeatedly blundering into a pond and fighting while in drowning mode.

We trapped a forgotten beast: used a piece of artefact furniture to lure it between a pair of raising bridges. It's a web-spinner, but doesn't throw many webs at the target dog. Getting the beast into position was a massive nuisance: it started pathing inside as soon as the breach was opened, but then waded through a pond and lost track in there. The immense turd just sat in a 7/7 water tile and plain refused to move. Cue a long, complicated and boring scheme to drain the pond enough to get it back to overland pathing. Required a cave-in to punch a hole in the pond bottom and a raising bridge to crush drained water.

EDIT: that work paid off! The manager got a clothier mood and made a forgotten beast silk toga.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:59:10 pm by Larix »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51447 on: January 04, 2018, 05:14:52 pm »

Apparently elf citizens cannot assemble dwarven instruments. I was starting to wonder whether woodcrafting was broken, when my two master woodcrafter elves weren't assembling an instrument. Then it dawned on me, and I had a low skilled dwarf assemble it just fine.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51448 on: January 04, 2018, 07:07:17 pm »

It took some time, but i finally got the previous post were-rats infestation under control with all of them eliminated in a way or another after all that multilayer aquifer problems.

Unfortunately it had been costly in dwarves as there are now only 5 of them left standing, 2 of them being kids and so many dead to bury or slab and required work left to do that those guys seems to be unwilling to actually do (despite they can in their enabled jobs and apparently they don't even care about the "do it now" in workshop).

And not working on more coffin and slabs lead to even more problems in that now haunted place :

I hope i'm getting a new migrant wave soon.

Oh and beware of yak bulls, they're good wrestlers apparently
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:26:24 pm by Robsoie »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51449 on: January 04, 2018, 11:18:28 pm »

After some false starts, I found one of those beautiful river valleys with a huge waterfall leading to a canyon in which the stream widens to a minor river. The view was breathtaking. There was plentiful timber, but not too much. I could see limonite sparkling in the walls of the canyon, and native silver further down. There was a rich depth of soil and sand for farming. This has to be one of the prettier embarks I've seen.

I immediately set to work, figured I'd dig a ledge-path to the waterfall, then a bridge across the canyon to the other side for security and scenery. I built a small catwalk for the bridge-builder...

Oh darn, the herbalist just picked a fight with an alligator and drowned. Dammit! Ah well, at least I have six...

So I got the bridge built, and started deconstructing the catwalk, and completely forgot that bridges don't support floor tiles!

Three more dwarves fell to their death, a full 31 z-levels below.

So I was left with two miners and a mason. Fortunately, the tunnel leading to the safety cave was mostly done. I immediately set everyone to hauling as soon as the chamber was complete, and was still hauling when three migrants arrived, three complete strangers of no relation or preexisting attachment, mostly skilled in farming.

At some cost of time, I constructed four slabs out of the local chert and drafted the mason to engrave them in memory of the dead. I carved four niches in the wall near the bridge to leave them, and there they stand.

Meanwhile, everything is stashed and the wagon is ready for deconstruction. It's already summer. Here goes something...
Pages: 1 ... 3428 3429 [3430] 3431 3432 ... 3842