Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3417 3418 [3419] 3420 3421 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097337 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51270 on: December 18, 2017, 09:11:33 am »

Obtained a scroll, dropped by a trade caravan that was attacked by giant wild animals.

"An Offering to the Human (copy)"

"Written on the item is an essay entitled An Offering to the Human, authored by Nomar Yawnmint. It concerns the marriage of the human Nomar Yawnmint and the human Zomuth Squareroofs in 94."

So far so good, but the next bit...

"The writing is a pit of bitter scorn."

:o

I'm guessing Nomar might have had some regrets about this marriage...

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51271 on: December 18, 2017, 12:02:53 pm »

I noticed something...in my new universe....there are no Goblins?   None that I can find...and the history was only 150 some years.  Does that happen a lot?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51272 on: December 18, 2017, 12:08:02 pm »

Obtained a scroll, dropped by a trade caravan that was attacked by giant wild animals.

"An Offering to the Human (copy)"

"Written on the item is an essay entitled An Offering to the Human, authored by Nomar Yawnmint. It concerns the marriage of the human Nomar Yawnmint and the human Zomuth Squareroofs in 94."

So far so good, but the next bit...

"The writing is a pit of bitter scorn."

:o

I'm guessing Nomar might have had some regrets about this marriage...

Man, this game is amazing.  I had some scholars pondering Alternate History once (sci-fi!) and even found a book titled "Dwarves And the Economy" (as if they were hinting at a certain update...).  And now Humans are having horrible marriages...have we gone too far?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:14:51 pm by callisto8413 »

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51273 on: December 18, 2017, 01:12:02 pm »

getting the combat report big red C appear, get worried...

it's giant chipmunks falling out of trees...  :-\

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51274 on: December 18, 2017, 01:41:38 pm »

A vile force of darkness arrived. Fully clad in armor. Grieves and gauntlets and stuff. Since when do the goblins get full armor? Caught me by surpise and could have ended way worse than it did :D

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51275 on: December 18, 2017, 01:45:08 pm »

That was fixed a version back, since previously worldgen soldiers wouldn't use gauntlets and the like.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51276 on: December 18, 2017, 02:13:57 pm »

A Megabeast of fire has shown up.  Instead of sending my Dwarves off to fight it and die, I decided everybody should stay inside.  As the world burns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Buildings made from logs still don't burn, right?   Right...?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51277 on: December 18, 2017, 02:23:13 pm »

You should be fine. Constructed walls don't burn. You do have a roof though, I hope, in case it is a flying megabeast?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51278 on: December 18, 2017, 02:27:24 pm »

I noticed something...in my new universe....there are no Goblins?   None that I can find...and the history was only 150 some years.  Does that happen a lot?

Do you mean they all died out? Or that there were none ever?

The first is relatively rare, because they don't die of old age and it's unlikely (but certainly possible among the endless gens of history) for beast rampages or wars to get everybody.

It's a bit harder to see them never placed at all, I believe it takes advanced world genning. Causes might be insufficient areas of evil, insufficient number of civilizations and they lose the draw, or I've done it in experimental worlds leaving off the "bottom layer." (Curiously, setting certain spoiler types to zero prevented certain spoilery things from affecting their history, as expected, but they seemed to need that bottom layer to appear at all. This was in 43.05)

getting the combat report big red C appear, get worried...

it's giant chipmunks falling out of trees...  :-\

:) Good memories: the first time I got a combat report I was so new that I was rushing to the wiki, "Oh my gosh! What's a 'C' mean??" Then I was like "Combat report?? I didn't know there was anything dangerous around!" A black-faced gibbon had fallen out of a tree. Very embarrassing, by gibbon standards.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51279 on: December 18, 2017, 03:10:17 pm »

EDITmore:

OH HEY! My 126 year old dwarf just gave birth! I guess they go sterile at a later age then.
Do dwarves ever go sterile from old age?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #51280 on: December 18, 2017, 03:11:18 pm »

EDITmore:

OH HEY! My 126 year old dwarf just gave birth! I guess they go sterile at a later age then.
no
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51281 on: December 18, 2017, 03:33:03 pm »

EDITmore:

no

I thought they wouldn't get pregnant/married or something past a certain age.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51282 on: December 18, 2017, 03:51:52 pm »

You should be fine. Constructed walls don't burn. You do have a roof though, I hope, in case it is a flying megabeast?

Oh yeah, it was my above ground barns and greenhouse - access is only from underground tunnels.  Still, I was stupid.  Had a Dwarf who were infected by a were-beast and had him go out and attack the fire-creature.  It killed him and then charged in before I could close my Trade Depot/Air Lock Systems.  Over a hundred citizens and visitors died, many of my Squads have to be reformed, and some of the stockpiles, including the booze in the tavern, are on fire but...that's silly Dwarf Fortress for you.   :)

Oh, and we killed it.  Turns out bolts can knock off limbs when a creature is made up of flames and ash.  Also it did not like my cleaning trench.  Water.  Who knew?  :-\

When I first started this game I would rage when my Dwarves went off to fish when work needed to be done and now I'm, "Oh well.  Many of my folks will have emotional scars and we'll have to wait for the fires to burn out on their own because we don't have any way to fight fires, which seems weird, but at least the fire-beast never got to the library or important deeper areas of the city."    ;D

Now I just need more coffins created and a few memorial slabs, as many victims were burnt to ash, but...that's life.  We will survive.  Well, I will survive in my air conditioned condo sipping tea and listening to classical music as my ash covered Dwarves try to find the missing and the dead within the smoke filled halls.   8)

Merry Christmas Everyone!  Now make back to work!   >:(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:54:26 pm by callisto8413 »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51283 on: December 18, 2017, 04:04:11 pm »

I was under the impression they did too, and if so, it's at 150, not at 120. That's the MAXAGE minimum after which dwarves can start dying. I do believe that is also when they go sterile.
I was just mistakenly thinking MAXAGE started at 120, confusing my modded GCS (which have a 120-150 age range, just slightly less than dwarves, I hate it when I have just set up a silk farm, to see the GCS croak of old age).

In other news, my starting seven farmer, who has just gone into a lover relationship with the 'Captain' Fencedglad, after some time in the dating booth, has just written a book called "My Friend, 'Captain' Fencedglad". It concerns the dwarf 'Captain' Fencedglad. Pretty cool, although I am not quite sure I would appreciate it when I get into a new relationship, if the first thing my new girl does is write a book about me in a public library  ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:08:43 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51284 on: December 18, 2017, 09:42:50 pm »

Well...  that was mighty quick. Right on the heals of my 2 returning raiding squads, 7 gobbo beak dog riders and 3 trolls.

The 3 trolls managed to make into the gate corridor before my military was able to engage but my dwarfs did kill them before the goblins were able to close the distance. The goblins posed little resistance, 2 even broke off the attack and fled for their lives.

At the end of the fight 2 of my dwarves were dead and one was badly injured and as of this moment is still awaiting medical care.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:51:33 pm by Urist McWaffles »
Pages: 1 ... 3417 3418 [3419] 3420 3421 ... 3842