Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3381 3382 [3383] 3384 3385 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101297 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50730 on: September 29, 2017, 11:20:14 pm »

Or alternatively, cage trap it and weaponise them.
Troglodytes are useless against armed gobbos, so maybe not.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50731 on: September 30, 2017, 01:29:11 am »

They're quite useful against armed master dorfs though, so maybe.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50732 on: September 30, 2017, 02:20:38 am »

Oh. I thought by "best" dwarves you meant skilled civilian dwarves. In that case that's surprising; troglodytes are usually pretty lame against dwarves with any kind of equipment and training.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50733 on: September 30, 2017, 03:08:38 am »

Oh. I thought by "best" dwarves you meant skilled civilian dwarves. In that case that's surprising; troglodytes are usually pretty lame against dwarves with any kind of equipment and training.

Yeah I usually send only one per group of trogs or crundles, but the troglodytes in this fort have: Matched and beaten a group of three master dwarves, taken down a small group of hunters, killed a forgotten beat made of flesh, and slaughtered a group of antmen that I gave copper equipment to using dfhack.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50734 on: September 30, 2017, 08:39:06 am »

My master craftsman (and producer of most of my export goods) is in a strange mood. The first thing he's demanding is rough gems - that's fine, I've got an entire stockpile full of them waiting to be cut. But he's not moving. I'm guessing that it's because none of my rough gems are his favourite gem, and that we've found some somewhere in the caverns - except the level one caverns are some 60z high and are nearly impossible to navigate.

Bye-bye Urist McTalented. I'd engrave you a nice slab, but the next most skilled engraver isn't wholly sure which end of the chisel to hold.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50735 on: September 30, 2017, 09:18:06 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!!!!!!

Two human crossbowmen with goblin names, probably captured and raised. Both promptly leave shortly after the announcement, replaced by a lone crossbowdwarf. I send my entire army after the poor crossbowdwarf, who fires a few panicked shots in vain, before being pureed by legendary fighters. Siege over.

Well, that was anticlimactic.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50736 on: September 30, 2017, 01:28:26 pm »

@Monomstodir: Only metalworkers and glassmakers will demand preferred type of item. Also, the first item an engraver will demand is a rock. I'm guessing you're lacking something else.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50737 on: September 30, 2017, 01:37:34 pm »

Well, you can even just hand out preferred weapon/replace clothes to experienced soldiers, tbh, and let legendary dodger take care of defence. They won't need more training, I think.

I'd check for syndrome with gui/gm-editor first.

Yep, syndrome confirmed, and many other children have it as well. Apparently the kids had found a pool of brush titan ichor to play in; now most of them have a mild syndrome which causes their whole body to swell up in blood. It's a stroke of luck it's nonlethal and temporary.

About soldiers: luckily Helmsthrone has several spare dwarves with Legendary in most combat skills; I was letting them to have a peaceful retirement after their military careers in another fort, but maybe just one or two of them could be persuaded to come back...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50738 on: September 30, 2017, 03:20:34 pm »

@fleetingframes - He was a glassmaker, but wasn't asking for glass. I didn't seem to be missing anything - other stuff was bars of metal, stack of cloth and cut gems - all available in abundance. He just grabbed the workshop and wouldn't gather anything

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50739 on: September 30, 2017, 03:55:07 pm »

Had a dragon type creature arrive during a human raid, was really looking forward to watching it waste them all, but it just turned around after 20 seconds and left :(

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50740 on: September 30, 2017, 04:24:10 pm »

Had a dragon type creature arrive during a human raid, was really looking forward to watching it waste them all, but it just turned around after 20 seconds and left :(

The one time you wouldn't want the dragon to be just passing through and not attacking...

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50741 on: September 30, 2017, 09:29:43 pm »

...other stuff was bars of metal, stack of cloth and cut gems...

Do you have silk, yarn, and plant-fiber cloth all on hand? Cloth requires a specific type, while I believe gems do not. Metal also requires a specific type, but I remember reading somewhere that they won't ask for a metal you don't have access to. It's possible that you've used up all of that type of metal, though, so you may have to make some more bars.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50742 on: September 30, 2017, 09:54:00 pm »

Specifically, metalworkers will demand metals you have smelted (not just have on embark). This creates an interesting quandary if you get a hammer-and-silver lover (since you'd prefer a platinum hammer).

@Monomstodir: could it be that you set up your production so that the workshop didn't have access to that? I curate access in my artifactories just to get artifacts with the materials I want and to see in one glance if I don't have something available that a strange mood might need.

Also, definitely not a glass furnace workshop, then, if not demanding raw glass, and since glassmaking is moodable he must have had at least one more moodable skill as equal or higher level.

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50743 on: October 01, 2017, 08:41:00 am »

I don't think so - I'd not set up any linked stockpiles or burrows that might have locked down the materials, I shut down all other production and checked the stock list to make sure everything was available and other strange moods haven't frozen up. The workshop was empty when he claimed it, so I'd not overlooked anything there. Bit perplexing!

Also: after a polite discussion with local rivals, Zutthan Lenssabres has claimed the position of king of the Turquoise Mechanisms. I'm pretty sure they're a vampire...

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:11:55 am by Monomstodir »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50744 on: October 01, 2017, 01:19:37 pm »

Stray war Grizzly Bear (tame) has given birth to grizzly bear cubs.

:D

First time I succeeded in breeding a better war animal than dogs.
Pages: 1 ... 3381 3382 [3383] 3384 3385 ... 3842