Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3377 3378 [3379] 3380 3381 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101632 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50670 on: September 24, 2017, 01:00:06 am »

I had a vampire dude just sit there for twenty years depressed, till a FB killed him. Even melting wouldn't stir him.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50671 on: September 24, 2017, 08:18:30 am »

Fikod sat back, propped against a tree by the riverside.
She found herself in an unusually good mood; the summer had been pleasantly warm, the food and alcohol plentiful, and new faces appeared every few months.
The fish were biting, and Fikod smiled. She had never seen such vibrantly healthy trout in all of her one hundred and fifty years.

Fikod let her mind wander, as it so often wanted to these days, and reminisced about her younger days. She saw herself as a young child, in a young fort in a young nation. It was not wealthy, but it was safe. It never was a particularly enthralling place, even then; there were few people, few children to play with, and precious little to do, so she became a fisherdwarf. It was a simple job, but it gave Fikod time to appreciate nature around her. Unlike most other dwarves, she enjoyed the outdoors - seeing things grow and mature as time went by was a pleasant pastime. Some would have called the life of a fisherdwarf boring, or superfluous, given dwarves could get viable nutrition out of nearly anything, but Fikod found it relaxing.
She became something of a legend in her fort, able to coax the most finicky fish to the surface with barely a glance at the water.

As she grew up, she married, and had children. And her children had children, and her grandchildren had children; Fikod could hardly keep track of her family even when she was in her prime of her 80s, there were that many. It was all she had ever wanted, to watch the world grow and mature around her; life was a special thing to Fikod indeed. There were some who scoffed at her as being "touched by the Elves", but Fikod didn't give it a thought. She was always happy, and providing fish for her fort was proof of her dwarfiness.

In later years, as her fort became the capital, she began to wish to move elsewhere. The dwarves at her old fort were all grown adults, with a stable population. They never wanted for food anymore, they were well and truly self-sufficient, they were their own fully grown entity.

So, Fikod left. She wandered the world until she found the new village Idekcatten, "Brainchanneled." Like her old fort, it had a pleasant brook, calm surroundings, and healthy trade. The population was still in that stage where they were hand to mouth - an ideal way for Fikod to make her mark.

She arrived at Idekcatten in late 250, with the first other set of migrants. Naturally, she resumed her old job of fisherdwarf, catching many fish for the population, which grew rapidly. Idekcatten was the new place to be, now that their food was secure.

It was now the autumn of 254. Fikod felt tired. She'd never felt tired before. She'd found this fishing spot for herself when she first moved to Idekcatten, far away from the other fisherdwarves. It wasn't that she disliked their company; not at all, she loved company. She just enjoyed solitude while fishing, too.

So Fikod coaxed a huge trout to the surface. She laid it across her lap, skinned it and gutted it effortlessly, and placed it next to the other trout she'd caught. She thought of all the people she'd helped raise, directly, or indirectly, and this made her happy.

She moved back over to her favourite spot, already worn down by years of fishing there, and luxuriated in her surroundings.

It was late evening before anyone realised she hadn't come back inside for dinner, so the other fisherdwarves went to check on her, and found her lying against the tree, semi-reclined, peacefully asleep, or so it looked. Fikod had passed away as the sun set, a smile on her face, and a pile of prepared trout ready and waiting in her characteristic lucky nether cap basket.

Well I'm on a version that doesn't have taverns.

Oh, and a vampire child is having a strange mood now. She demands shells but I have none.

So what happens if she goes insane? A vampire can not die of thirst, right?

We'll see.

Vampires that go insane will not die of thirst, no. But they do still disregard their health and safety and run around in potentially dangerous areas.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:35:15 am by Reudh »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #50672 on: September 24, 2017, 11:04:05 am »

So I turned 148 dwarves into vampires by mixing vampire blood and water.
But recently I found almost all the vampires were constantly tired.
I guess that's because they can't sleep?
Wait, are the drowsy? Or are they tired? If it's tired, as in what happens when a creature exerts themselves, that's a bug. When a creature with [NOEXERT] does an activity that manually applies exertion, such as sparring or pump operating, the tiredness never dissipates. It just sticks around forever, because creatures with [NOEXERT] shouldn't have any tiredness to begin with.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #50673 on: September 24, 2017, 11:05:42 am »

Oh, and a vampire child is having a strange mood now. She demands shells but I have none.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50674 on: September 24, 2017, 01:25:32 pm »

I'm now imagining, thirty years down the road for your fort, you become the Mountainhome, the king arrives, he walks through to see the dining hall and suddenly he hears something odd... Demented babbling, angry screaming, and sobbing greet him, from behind a glass case eight separate, equally insane vampires are running around, bonking off the glass, knocking each other over, and screaming for various reasons nobody else can discern, except for the one in the middle in total shock just staring at the roof. When he asks about them, he's told not to question the Cage, as the dwarves have formed a religion based around it... Every second sunday, the dwarves gather around the cage and emulate their comrades for twelve hours of the day. Fatalities are thankfully low, they tell him, but not unheard of...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50675 on: September 24, 2017, 07:21:49 pm »

:D :D :D

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50676 on: September 24, 2017, 07:31:25 pm »

One male, one female, I hope?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50677 on: September 24, 2017, 07:58:41 pm »

One male, one female, I hope?
Yes, I did manage to capture a breeding pair.  Oddly, they are not war-trainable.  Will be interesting to see how they perform in combat.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50678 on: September 24, 2017, 08:49:30 pm »

Beautiful character research, Reud.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50679 on: September 24, 2017, 09:56:51 pm »

Wait, are the drowsy? Or are they tired? If it's tired, as in what happens when a creature exerts themselves, that's a bug. When a creature with [NOEXERT] does an activity that manually applies exertion, such as sparring or pump operating, the tiredness never dissipates. It just sticks around forever, because creatures with [NOEXERT] shouldn't have any tiredness to begin with.
A yellow tired.
Since I recruited themall into the army, so it might be the cause...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
LOL, nice picture.

w4isper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50680 on: September 25, 2017, 02:47:03 am »

Started fortress on deep soil map with aquifer and lot of clay. So I am wondering if it is possible to build large cube outside filled with water form aquifer, built from clay bricks, populated by dwarfs living inside the cube in dome-like constructions that are connected to the outside world through maze that can be drowned remotely at every section.

So far I managed to set up fortress that can satisfy basic needs with wood and clay industries. I got through aquifer and constructed pump stack that can provide infinite amount of water to the surface.

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50681 on: September 25, 2017, 06:05:14 am »

Today we were attacked by a Forgotten Beast. An emaciated arthropod composed of vomit, with deadly spittle.

Extra whiskey rations and an extended trip to the baths for the army after dealing with that.

ThoMeuhGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50682 on: September 25, 2017, 07:41:31 pm »

Today a frost wyrm (Masterwork mod) attacked my 1 year old fort.

It set the map on fire (wait what?). I immediately regret building all the surface stuff with wood...

Half my dwarves died and nobody even scratched him. But while rampaging around the fort entrance he did put on fire my wood furnaces, charcoal stockpile and refuse stockpile with some old fur/wool rotting in there. The huge fire outburst killed him... 2 years later charcoal is still burning and I had to dig a secondary entrance.

Was my first megabeast ever. Fort slowly recovered. Luckily my militia commander/military instructor/best soldier survived cause he was sleeping just underneath the action and he is quickly training a new squad. I have no idea how I could have vanquished this wyrm normally though.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50683 on: September 25, 2017, 07:43:58 pm »

Today a frost wyrm (Masterwork mod) attacked my 1 year old fort.

It set the map on fire (wait what?). I immediately regret building all the surface stuff with wood...

Half my dwarves died and nobody even scratched him. But while rampaging around the fort entrance he did put on fire my wood furnaces, charcoal stockpile and refuse stockpile with some old fur/wool rotting in there. The huge fire outburst killed him... 2 years later charcoal is still burning and I had to dig a secondary entrance.

Was my first megabeast ever. Fort slowly recovered. Luckily my militia commander/military instructor/best soldier survived cause he was sleeping just underneath the action and he is quickly training a new squad. I have no idea how I could have vanquished this wyrm normally though.

I want you to explain to me how a frost wyrm caught the map on fire. Explain it as if you're talking to a baby. I need to know.

ThoMeuhGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50684 on: September 25, 2017, 07:53:32 pm »

That's an excellent question  ;D I was like WTF!? In the raws the creature is apparently based on dragons and is even called a blue dragon at some point so I guess the dragonfire attack was carried over. Or maybe his temperature was high enough to set stuff on fire ? I am not sure...
Pages: 1 ... 3377 3378 [3379] 3380 3381 ... 3842