Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3336 3337 [3338] 3339 3340 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104819 times)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50055 on: May 05, 2017, 10:30:12 am »

Protip - don't forget which Forgotten Beast you're fighting and end up fighting a web slinger on top of cage traps. Also holy hell humanoid beast made of trash gunk was kicking my dwarves heads in despite the steel helms everyone's wearing (or should be wearing anyway). Was so tempted to force quit because I was pissed at myself for it, I lost three good dwarves, but then migrants showed up. So I guess I'll draft this trader dude with sword experience into being the new militia commander.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50056 on: May 05, 2017, 10:35:10 am »

Just had a migrant wave arrive, but all the pets died upon entering the map... Just a pile of caveys, turkeys, and a cow...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50057 on: May 05, 2017, 10:47:12 am »

Question, how good is an artifact gold helm?
Not that good. A gold mace, on the other hand...
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50058 on: May 05, 2017, 12:24:03 pm »

Probably more a case of the fact one was a ghost than what race they were - angry ghosts will still scare people in their faction to death.
Fine, but who/what killed that being in the first place in order for it to become a ghost?

Ok.. werepanda #1 killed werepanda #2. Werepanda #2 Then became a ghost and killed werepanda #1. A full cycle of ghostly revenge.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #50059 on: May 05, 2017, 04:39:40 pm »

Just had a good embark burned to a crisp by a Swamp Titan. After a disappointing series of titan attacks, each weaker than the last, and a "goblin" siege consisting of 6 untrained humans, and a goblin axeman, I had a firebreathing caterpillar arrive. 50 steel equipped dwarves marched out. 13 survived. And half of those died when the human merchants went nuts from being trapped for several months after I sealed the fort.

So I said screw it, I had dropped to around 45 or so dwarves at that point (from 130 or so).  I opened the gate, opened the watergates, and dug a hole into the pipe from the main entryway. Now the lowerlevels are largely flooded, and the airlock (above the waterline) is home to a firebreathing caterpillar.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50060 on: May 05, 2017, 08:25:49 pm »

Ok.. werepanda #1 killed werepanda #2. Werepanda #2 Then became a ghost and killed werepanda #1. A full cycle of ghostly revenge.
Heh!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50061 on: May 05, 2017, 08:40:59 pm »

meanwhile a masterwork gold statue of the werepanda ghost scaring the werepanda that killed him to death has been installed next to the bed in the future noble chambers.
Not sure I understand this bit; the Wiki says werecreatures of the same race aren't hostile to each other when turned (& that seems to be borne out by my experience with weredwarves).. was one of the werepandas a different base race?

Werepanda 100% will murder each other. I've had two different werepanda kill other werepanda. All were infected fort dwarves. All were in werepanda form at the time of killing.
Having werecreatures in military has been known to turn them on each other. Were any in a squad?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50062 on: May 06, 2017, 08:37:50 pm »

Question, how good is an artifact gold helm?
Make your best noble wear it.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50063 on: May 07, 2017, 05:55:40 am »

A minotaur decided to come and say hello to my fort. Right after it spawned, an elven caravan appeared. Sighing at the lack of caged minotaur I COULD have had, I sent the military out to beat the creature up.

Interestingly, the minotaur killed one of the pack animals before my squad got topside (and netted me a free Forgotten Beast material instrument), but the two elves and the other pack animal all got to my depot after the minotaur died...and didn't unpack? I could trade with them though and offered them some random junk crafts to see if I could get them to unpack (I wanted their cages) but nope. And then they left...without leaving. They're now on season three in my depot doing nothing but standing there. The human and dwarf caravans came through without being bothered by them. It's confusing as hell.

Wondering if they'll eventually go mad since they're just standing around doing nothing or if because they're not being stopped doing anything they'll just...stand there forever. I could deconstruct the depot to see if that forces them out, but I kind of want them to go mad so I can steal all their stuff...

EDIT: They just milled until Spring and the elven diplomat came and yelled at my baron, so I killed them. No one will know, it's fineeee...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:00:39 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #50064 on: May 07, 2017, 09:37:21 am »

I'm presuming negotiations didn't go favourably.

Decided to be the cruelest of overseers - no one is eating meat in this fort. Meat is being immediately traded away or dumped in the magma tube down in the second cavern layer.
Good for you! I'm vegan myself because I treat animals as people.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:41:44 am by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50065 on: May 07, 2017, 03:54:19 pm »

In my current fort (43.05 Dark Ages II, with added Fort Defence II and Creepy Caverns), my dwarves are going crazy due to mental trauma from some unknown cause O_O

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50066 on: May 08, 2017, 06:47:10 am »

meanwhile a masterwork gold statue of the werepanda ghost scaring the werepanda that killed him to death has been installed next to the bed in the future noble chambers.
Not sure I understand this bit; the Wiki says werecreatures of the same race aren't hostile to each other when turned (& that seems to be borne out by my experience with weredwarves).. was one of the werepandas a different base race?

Werepanda 100% will murder each other. I've had two different werepanda kill other werepanda. All were infected fort dwarves. All were in werepanda form at the time of killing.
Having werecreatures in military has been known to turn them on each other. Were any in a squad?

This might be it. I think some were in each incident. Though I think I desqadded them prior to the second incident with infectee group 2.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50067 on: May 09, 2017, 04:35:29 am »

Had a seige on my current fort, game crashed sometime after. This time I was prepared for it, and I only lost a horse, unlike last time where I lost most of my grazing creatures and two dwarves.

Now I have about 20 goblins in cages I am going to slowly feed to my military.

Also decided after the seige that it's high time to dig out a big area in the clay layer around the fort entrance to pasture my grazing animals in. I cracked the cavern layer open, so now to just wait until the ground is covered a little before putting all my important wool-making creatures in there.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #50068 on: May 10, 2017, 11:32:05 am »

Accidentaly managed to trap my first savana Titan under the bridge into my fort in my moat, A fire breathing tick. It hasn't managed to drown...not sure if it can drown...well at least the goblins will have some fun next time they invade.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50069 on: May 10, 2017, 11:50:04 am »

Accidentaly managed to trap my first savana Titan under the bridge into my fort in my moat, A fire breathing tick. It hasn't managed to drown...not sure if it can drown...well at least the goblins will have some fun next time they invade.
Bonus dwarfy points if you turn your moat into an arena filled with socks.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.
Pages: 1 ... 3336 3337 [3338] 3339 3340 ... 3842