Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3324 3325 [3326] 3327 3328 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105598 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49875 on: April 05, 2017, 04:07:10 pm »

maybe it's just me, but I would have them start with feather-wood, then switch to something denser once they have armor/shield skills to a decent level where it doesn't hamper them as much.

same reason I start with willow shields then upgrade to copper shields once they are 5-6, for shield bashing.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49876 on: April 05, 2017, 04:13:25 pm »

I usually bring willow logs, but the glumprong trees was just too easy to use.  I haven't seen featherwood logs available for quite some time. 

I also remove shield from uniform when they start sparring since I want armor user to go up sooner than shield user.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49877 on: April 05, 2017, 06:07:05 pm »

What the hell? Who is that in the Dining Hall? He looks weird. Is he some kind of......

wait, WHAT?

We didn't get a King in the last few weeks, did we?

.......the KING is the Outpost Liaison?

Taking matters into his own hands, i see.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49878 on: April 07, 2017, 12:41:45 pm »

I'm relatively new in DF terms. After playing Dwarf Fortress for maybe 150 hours, I finally have a basic knowledge of how all industries and things should work (mostly after getting a really boring world where pretty much all threats were killed off before I settled my fort). So I'm trying to tame all the beasts in my savage biomes, and currently trying to figure out how pumps, water/lava pressure, and how other such things work. After a couple of forts with permanently flooded areas, it's an ongoing process.

But in true DF style, my very first fort that I made last year got quashed by Zombie Whales. I was not in a haunted biome and had no idea where they came from. So after the standard "losing tons of forts to random werebeasts because I couldn't figure out the military." I think I'm doing much better now.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49879 on: April 07, 2017, 02:48:58 pm »

After a LOOOOOT of digging, I've finally found the Great Magma Sea, and set up my Magma Kiln, Glass Furnace, Smelteries, and Forges.

The catch is that they're almost 200 Z-levels below my initial fort inside the hillside.

Cue setting up a ramp network from the Forges to the surface.

.....cue fucking up the zoning for digging/up-ramping.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49880 on: April 07, 2017, 09:08:04 pm »

I got sick of doing the normal thing, so I made a world with rare minerals and did a minimal embark (ideally one anvil and one copper ore).  The only thing was that the only ore I could get was silver nuggets!  This, of course, means no pick.  I went with it, and decided that I'm having so much fun that I am going to build a fortress without any trading and without ever using a pick.  Unfortunately a migrant fell into a murky pond and drown (taking the steel battle axe he was carrying with him!).  It was at this point that I realised that I have no way of making a slab, so I need to drain the pond and retrieve his body.  At least I'll get the axe :D

I'm really enjoying this challenge.  I spent ages wandering over the map just looking for rope reed.  The fortress is pretty badly secured, so if I get attacked, it will be FUN.  But on the other hand, goblinite (and migrants, I guess) is the only source of metal and therefore the only source of mechanisms.  Similarly, I'm *really* hoping nothing that breathes fire wanders along...

Edit: Just realised that as well as no slabs, no rock means no milling...  I'm wondering if I should make a trade exception to get a millstone...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:17:32 am by mikekchar »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49881 on: April 08, 2017, 05:37:28 am »

Tosid Graveurn the Lost Nature, the duchess of Swordheart, admired her armor stand with forced nonchalance while the Elven ambassador droned on.

"You have disrespected the trees in this area..."

She closed her eyes. She was not really made for diplomacy; as the fort's militia commander her preferred way of handling disagreements had been to bash someones skull with a silver mace but that would not do now.

"...further abuse will not be tolerated..."

She had been advised to keep calm and to not give into insults. There would be some "short" slurs coming in later, she felt it.

"...let this be a warning to you."

Ah, it sounded like the tedious bore was finally finished. She looked up to the ambassador's face and tried to formulate a suitably neutral reply in her mind.

"I see, ambassador. We have..." She stopped, and looked lower.

And lower.

"Who the hell are you?"

"Tun Slingaged, Elven diplomat, at your service. Is something wrong?"

"But you're a dwarf!"

"I beg your pardon! Why, that's exactly the sort of insult we have come to expect from your stunted kind..."

"Stunted? You're shorter than me! You're a dwarf!"

"Am not!"

"Look, you have a moustache and beard down to your belt buckle, man. A short, stocky creature; I bet you're fond of drink and industry, too!"

"That's it! I'm leaving! We'll see who's laughing next year! Keep embracing your rocks and mud, you, um, er... SHORTY!"

She relaxed. That had went quite well; she hadn't killed anyone or started any new wars. There was always next year...

---

So yeah, Elven diplomat is a dwarf, and he's making all the same insults as a normal elf. For some reason I found the mental image of it amusing; I'm still chuckling.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49882 on: April 08, 2017, 10:16:28 am »

My dwarves keep putting candy thread in the hospital, despite the fact that the extractor workshop is linked via exclusively giving/taking stockpiles to the smelter for making wafers. Does anyone know if there's a way to keep them from taking my precious blue thread or am I just perpetually going to need to dump and reclaim this shit?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49883 on: April 08, 2017, 10:41:11 am »

just had a battle that killed off 2/3 (20 out of around 35) of the fort (vs. 8 goblins. damn silver spears vs my iron armor. also only 3 militiadwarves vs the 4-5 goblins that made it past the weapon traps) in an embark where I decided not to cheese the cage traps.

Okay, fine. I take stock of who I have left, assign a few to the militia, and figure out which jobs I ABSOLUTELY need done right now.

Unpause, and nobody is doing anything. okay, fine. reclaim a few things, shuffle a few things, remember to turn back on announcing some job cancellations.......and I'm inundated by job cancellation spam. which had started during the siege when I burrowed everyonee, prompting me to turn off cancellation announcements.

Fine, make sure I have all alerts turned off, take everyone out of burrows.....

smiths aren't smithing nor smelting. carpenter is just sitting there with an axe despite the fact I want him to work carpentry, not tree cutting, and everyone is complaining about not being able to reach their destination.

:(

I really liked this world (so deep! Surface at 160-170 or so, and the top of the Great Magma Sea at -30 or so), and I've reached about the end of what I can figure out.

boo.

EDIT: To assuage my grief (lol. Dissapointment?) over my last Untamed Wilds tropical embark, I decided to gen up a new world and embark. I had trouble finding what I wanted (Shallow/Deep Metals, Flux Stone in a Tropical Untamed Wilds for Giant/men versions of animals.....aslo elephants, tigers, lions, and more).

I neded up with a FREAKING AWESOME embark.

Not only do I get a waterfall (which I wasn't expecting), I get a natural, 3-Z cavern BEHIND the waterfall, surface Limonite, surface Limestone, and surface Lignite, on top of a river for easy bridge+cage traps to snatch up local wildlife and plenty of trees, clay, and sand.

All of this in a world with a lot of megabeasts (at least 7 Rocs, 7 bronze colossi, and the pocket size means they'll be visiting me sooner rather than later I would think), and about 3x (IIRC) as may semi-megas as megabeasts. On top of which I should be less than 5-10 tiles from the goblin capital--which I am editing the raws, right now, to allow for goblin invasion once I hit 20 people.

juuuust gotta keep everyone away forom the river because of the alligators.

And just to make it more interesting, I'm going to be sequestering 4 of my initial 7 dwarves away, because they're already friends with each other and within 10 years of age.....and I really want to have a lot of babies running around this carnage. In my last fort I had a pair of dwarves that didn't know each other at all sealed in a room with a tavern painted over the top for about a year and a half, and they didn't get to know each other at all :(

Slightly dissapointed I don't have fire clay. Not having to glaze  ceramic pots is a godsend.

Time to try for a repeat of my minimal cage trap approach. stonefall traps seem worse than useless, though. units with shields will just block it, and units without shields get ripped to shreds by weapon traps faster than a stonefall cage can crush them. Not to mention actually, you know, LOADING the damn things.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:22:59 pm by Maul_Junior »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49884 on: April 09, 2017, 01:51:02 pm »

Knee deep in creepy crawlers and the FREAKING EMBARK SCREEN LIED THERE IS NO ORE >:(

Cave-ins are remarkably efficient ways of removing vermin and nothing else.

Edit: all the vermin corpses disappeared. Or I'm just going mad.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 01:56:24 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49885 on: April 09, 2017, 02:39:31 pm »

Been training my wizards while testing my new reactions and building a tavern outside for visitors.

One of the kids finally grew up. I ordered her to work in the mines and to make blocks.

One of the apprentices just caught aether sickness from his experiments, good fun. He'll survive. He appears to be crying out loud.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magma crabs got into the forges. They were all killed, but unfortunately one dumbass has been set on fire.

Her shirt is going up in flames and she's suffering life threatening burns, but she's so fucking wasted she's still having a good time.
In better news, the orders to manufacture iron weapons and armor have all been completed, and we've opened a new library and tavern for visitors.
Bought a shitload of stuff from the merchants for some silver serrated discs, but had to give up 2500☼ worth of profit to the greedy fuckers. My broker isnt the greatest negotiator, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:51:08 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49886 on: April 09, 2017, 03:04:52 pm »

Year 1 - Locked up the elves in the deopt, then slaughtered them when they went insane.
Years 2-5 - Seized goods, then slaughtered them.

I've had a population of over since year 3, so I still wonder why they refuse to attack.
(I did start the game on year 5, so maybe THEY don't have a high enough number to seige me.)

Also, the same two kobolds try to steal stuff a few times a year. The dogs always spot them, but they never learn.
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #49887 on: April 09, 2017, 10:28:49 pm »

Year 1 - Locked up the elves in the deopt, then slaughtered them when they went insane.
Years 2-5 - Seized goods, then slaughtered them.

I've had a population of over since year 3, so I still wonder why they refuse to attack.
(I did start the game on year 5, so maybe THEY don't have a high enough number to seige me.)

Also, the same two kobolds try to steal stuff a few times a year. The dogs always spot them, but they never learn.
You have to steal their stuff and then let them go.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #49888 on: April 09, 2017, 11:44:41 pm »

Wait, there are wizards now?

LethalShade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49889 on: April 10, 2017, 01:09:59 am »

I just finished the second floor of my massive Fortress/Cathedral to Armok : Hazecaskets.

It's made entirely of basalt blocks, with some rutile and petrified wood here and there. I embarked on top of two terrifying biomes. Elf blood rains all over the place, undead monsters roam in the skies, and I just found out that this could happen :

In the meantime I also started exploiting a very small aquifer just under the fortress :

I plan to do a lot of !!SCIENCE!! there with biological weapons. I'll keep you guys updated and might make my own post eventually.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:41:39 am by LethalShade »
Pages: 1 ... 3324 3325 [3326] 3327 3328 ... 3842