Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3323 3324 [3325] 3326 3327 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105706 times)

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49860 on: April 03, 2017, 03:09:30 pm »

Thinking about clearing out the second cavern's rutherer population, but worried about them all reanimating. Is there any way to make sure the corpses will be removed soon enough after my military kills them? (the only reason I'm killing them is because I think the fuckers are hurting my fps)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49861 on: April 03, 2017, 09:07:50 pm »

Bahahahahahaha.

My Legendary +20 Carpenter finally mooded. And I got a Wooden Door. Time to set up an overly complicated entrance wherein I have my !!Door!! set up in a stone area with cave moss behind it (and possibly in front of it).

And maybe, if the !!Goblins!! can get past the !!Door!! and the !!Moss!!, they can run into three weapon traps with my three legendary Mechanisms.

You know what would be an awesome mood? A Legendary Wooden trap component.

Daddy wants a Legendary !!Enormous Cork Screw!! to go with his Legendary Mechanisms. (Artifact  Mech=no jam, yes?) [Boo, looks like there's a bug where the trap components degrade and cause a crash. And here I am, with no artifact wooden weapoon to put in there :(]

.....now I'm considering making several entrance I can open and close at will.

A Wooden trap maze for the elves. A copper trap maze for the goblins, and a Steel/Adamantine trap maze for the more Dangerous things.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49862 on: April 03, 2017, 10:19:01 pm »

Choosing a location... they're all so samey. This game needs more geographical variation.

And here we have a mountain, let's paint a pretty little tree on there.

And then a little red for dwarf blood, some friendly little zombies, and a friendly little goblin horde.

Here we have a waterfall, with some pretty little red at the bottom. Let's paint this friendly little dwarf at the bottom. Oh look, now we're painting a friendly little Giant Alligator and his friend the Carp!
And at the top of our tree, a little woodcutter relaxing.  Now, you might think he got up there by mistake, but there are no mistakes; only happy little accidents.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49863 on: April 03, 2017, 10:43:23 pm »

Well, I have aquired a breeding population of giant kea and killed a 135 year old werebeast, so it's going pretty well. The only trouble is the poison-gas breathing flying golden forgotten beast currently occupying the (now walled-off) caverns.
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49864 on: April 03, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »

About a quarter of the area inside my fort's curtain wall is inhospitable wasteland. It's also near an aquifer. Therefore, I created Lake Tathurcog using the inner wall as a dam. Astonishingly, thousands of pond turtles instantly moved in, to the delight of my fisherdwarves and bonecrafters. The lake is unfit to swim in, because it is filled with blood and vomit.

I finally managed to drag magma up from the depths in minecarts. Specifically, because of the hundred-plus Z-level trip down to magma, I brought up exactly enough to fuel 8 smelters, 1 glass furnace, 1 kiln, and four forges. Soon, though, soon I'll have created enough iron corkscrews to bring magma to the surface, to flood the badlands *outside* the curtain wall. Y'know, after the dorfs spend a couple years building the pump stack.

A plague of kangaroos continues to infest my cage traps. I tame and butcher them as fast as they come in, but there's a never-ending number of the hopping menace. Sadly, I've only managed to capture a single giant snail so far, because the kangaroos block other surface spawns. I mean, I don't really *need* a giant snail ranch, what with the thousands of pond turtles, but nevertheless...

I discovered to my disappointment when some dingos came through that dingos' kidneys merely rot, rather than becoming (in the immortal words of Douglas Adams) fetid dingos' kidneys.

Someone may have mistakenly pastured most of the fort's pets outside just prior to the annual Siege Season. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the beleaguered Overseer getting tired of the damn things.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49865 on: April 04, 2017, 09:09:39 am »

Well, I have aquired a breeding population of giant kea and killed a 135 year old werebeast, so it's going pretty well. The only trouble is the poison-gas breathing flying golden forgotten beast currently occupying the (now walled-off) caverns.

That sounds like one of those things smart people don't screw with

By the way... who else never finds out what those poisonous gases and other effects do? Seriously, I never have seen what any of those do. The only people that really ever have to deal with the effects are those who get mauled by a giant salamander and bleed out minutes later.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49866 on: April 04, 2017, 10:08:44 pm »

By the way... who else never finds out what those poisonous gases and other effects do? Seriously, I never have seen what any of those do. The only people that really ever have to deal with the effects are those who get mauled by a giant salamander and bleed out minutes later.
What, you don't organize noble parties with special guests?

Sounds like you're missing a lot of !!fun!!
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49867 on: April 04, 2017, 10:49:53 pm »

I'm playing in a world I modded myself. My fort of 82 with all iron weapons was invaded by a horde of sentries, militaristic humanoids made of iron that learn weapon skills very quickly and start as proficient dodgers, armor users, and shield users. There are about 40 of them, armed and armored in mostly steel, and ready to slaughter every last one of my dwarves.

I really need more cage traps.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:52:29 pm by Rethi-Eli »
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49868 on: April 05, 2017, 12:18:51 am »

.....I just had a strange thought.

Is it possible to make goblins breed in captivity?

No before you call me a goblin lover, hear me out. I'm not talking about inducting them into the civilization, modding the raws to make them hunting/war trainable or anything like that.

No no no.

What I mean is have a few captive goblins of opposite gender chained up together surrounded by cage traps (after using DFhack gaydar on them), letting them breed, their offspring grow to adulthood, and then using said offspring as training targets for new recruits.

However, in my internet search, there is also some speculation that any child born to goblins would be hostile to said goblins. If this is true, then such a child would be invaluable. It would be given copper arms and armor, being careful not to let it near dwarves who wold probably either tear it to shreds or run away screaming, and Danger Roomed.

Then it would be unleashed against a Goblin siege. At which point it would either rip the enemies to shreds, or turn on the dwarves and become !!Fun!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:29:27 am by Maul_Junior »

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49869 on: April 05, 2017, 01:18:33 am »

Question is, if gobble children will be hostile to their parents, will they be hostile to dwarves?

Imagine it. The ultimate justice. Snatching goblin babies to raise as dwarves. Or in this case, as is the dwarven way, taking prisoners of war and raising the offspring of their wicked goblin orgies away from them, for their own good.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49870 on: April 05, 2017, 02:35:54 am »

Question is, if gobble children will be hostile to their parents, will they be hostile to dwarves?

Imagine it. The ultimate justice. Snatching goblin babies to raise as dwarves. Or in this case, as is the dwarven way, taking prisoners of war and raising the offspring of their wicked goblin orgies away from them, for their own good.

This is why a chain surrounded by cge traps is necessary.

CCCCC
C......C
C..g..C
C......C
C......C
C..g..C
C......C
CCCCC

g=chain where goblins are attached.
.=empty space (additional periods are emplaced to preserve formatting. there should be a 1-square empty space on every side of a goblin)
C=cage traps

You could compact it further to

CCCCC
C......C
C..g..C
C......C
C..g..C
C......C
CCCCC

Additionally, once a Goblin has given birth, the female and baby could be removed from this setup (do Goblins mate for life?), and placed in a Childcare Frame:

CCCCC
C......C
C..g..C
C......C
CCCCC

Alternatively, the Male could be removed and his chain replaced with cage traps.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49871 on: April 05, 2017, 03:23:24 pm »

Just had some migrants arrive. One married couple. He's thirty and she's twenty-six. They brought seven of their eight children. One of them is eleven. Like 1/3 of my population is children at this point.

I also captured a single male giant langur and am in the process of training it. Haven't seen any more of them
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49872 on: April 05, 2017, 03:31:55 pm »

Not sure why, but I decided to set up a lone of catapults and start firing away into the river... The chert boulders keep simply bruising the hippos, is this cause they're thhhhhicc, or are catapults useless?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49873 on: April 05, 2017, 03:55:53 pm »

What the hell? Who is that in the Dining Hall? He looks weird. Is he some kind of......

wait, WHAT?

We didn't get a King in the last few weeks, did we?

.......the KING is the Outpost Liaison?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49874 on: April 05, 2017, 03:59:08 pm »

I started a 43.05 x64 using the LNP beta.  Nice and fast for a small world, short history. 

I found a nice spot 3x3, 5 tiles are Haunted, and 4 tiles are Mirthful.  I got Glumprong trees, and Sunshine booze!

The middle region is haunted, so I quickly set 3 21x21 zone over the wagon, one for a tavern, one for a library, and the last for temple and pasture. 

So far, I only got skunk corpse, opossum corpse, and a cougar corpse come by.

I've had 2 Human Bards and a Human Lasher come visit and tell stories and drink sunshine.

It's already Autumn year 101, and I do not have any bedrooms yet. 

I embark with 10 limonite, 20 marble, and 10 bit coals.  No tools, so axe and mining picks had to wait until I have steel axes and steel pick available. 

I plan to limit myself based on the starting 7's "destiny".

The first 2 are curious to learn and 1 values knowledge.  I distribute Doctor skills between the 3 and plan to make them full scholars soon.  Gave them 1 skill in Armorsmith or Weaponsmith, means they are not allowed to mine, carpenter, mason, mechanic, clothier, leather, etc. 

2 are decent enough to be axedwarf +5, weaponsmith+1, Armor user+2, Dodger+1, discipline+1. 

This leaves 2 starting dwarfs doing the majority of the work.
1 is a woodcutter+1 with axedwarf+5, Dodger+1, discipline+1 then given the Carpenter+1 skill and wood crafter+1.  This was a bit of a setback as he has to cut the trees, then make furnitures too. 

The last founder is a Miner+5, Mason+1, Metalsmith+1, Metal crafter+1 Dodger+1, discipline+1.  For some reason, I like someone to make minecarts and metal goblets early on.  I learned this week that Miner is a moodable skill which tends to use Mason workshop.  This guy likes slabs, maybe he can make an artifact slab someday.

Anyway, I don't have anything to trade, and do not have a Depot yet. 

The 2 axedwarfs are full time training in almost all steel armor (no steel breastplate yet), and using glumprong shield.  Glumprong is one of the higher density wood.
Pages: 1 ... 3323 3324 [3325] 3326 3327 ... 3842