Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3322 3323 [3324] 3325 3326 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105686 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49845 on: March 30, 2017, 05:53:47 am »

I've left my military alone for the most part, to train.

After an initial "Go kill this. Now go kill that. That emu offends me by its very existence. EXTERMINATE ALL OF THEM!" I just worked on my projects.

Just glanced at their skills in Dwarf Therapist.

All are Level 20 Fighters. 17, 18, and 19 Discipline for each of the three military dwarves. 15, 18 Axedwarf, 16 Swordsdwarf.

And their strength and agility, toughness, and endurance seem higher than would seem normal. Does military service raise attributes? the lowest strength is 79. the lowest agility is 84. low Toughness 84. Low endurance is 64. Granted, Recuperation is 43, 43, and 8.

In any event, my strategy of training up beefcakes, then splitting them up into three different squads and train up civilians to high combat stats in turn is about to kick in.

Starting with the folks that have been complaining for years about not being able to practice martial arts.

Can't wait to see my glassmaker swinging the artifact bone mace around. That thing would be practically nerf, I think. Although pairing him with whoever I end up giving my gold Warhammer would be pretty damn funny.

My furnaces and forges are spinning up to begin war-time production, and goblin sieges are being activated. Copper Crossbows are the order of the day for my Legendary Weaponsmith. I have to admit I was dissapointed that bronze, and by extension bismuth bronze, was lighter than copper (for when they inevitably rush the enemy, despite having full quivers. Though I may end up equipping my Marksdwarves with bismuth bronze crossbows anyway--just for the sheer novelty and roleplay factor of having a novelty metal on the front lines. And standardied for all Marksdorfs.

proud of my broker, too. Legendary Appraiser. but that's something else entirely.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:30:33 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49846 on: March 30, 2017, 06:28:46 am »

The megaproject is practically finished, just some superfluous interior decorating left. A quartzite cylindrical tower to the dragon gods, with a spiral "ramp"-style staircase and landing perches, as tall as the game would let me. Could've used DFHack to raise the sky ceiling, but eh, I was afraid of running out of quartzite. Looks a bit fat though, being roughly as tall as it is wide, but even with 4:1 ratio would have required 100s of z-levels.

In any case, we explored the first cavern layer and managed to secure roughly three quarters of it, the remaining quarter being left as a wilderness. Each cavern "exit" has been sealed off with bridges, walls and traps. I'm already looking forward to setting up a breeding program.

Once the first cavern was done, the second cavern could have been reached by a downward passage, but seeing as the second cavern was flooded and had a web FB, we decided to skip that one and go for the third cavern.

Of course, we had the luck of striking magma first in the negative z-levels. The search for the third cavern was extended, digging every five z-levels until using the dwarven radar seemed more efficient.

The third cavern was not the best as it was very claustrophobic, but with the chance of possibly capturing a cave dragon, we obviously couldn't resist. As a bonus, the top of our only adamantine spire poked into the third cavern.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49847 on: March 30, 2017, 06:32:33 am »

The third cavern was not the best as it was very claustrophobic, but with the chance of possibly capturing a cave dragon, we obviously couldn't resist. As a bonus, the top of our only adamantine spire poked into the third cavern.

I have at least two spires. I REALLY need to get on mining them safely.

.....I may even have three.

One of them is even safe to mine 22 tiles, judging by the spire visible on the Z-level below.

Nope, that is DEFINITELY three spires. Just dug an exploratory channel (quickly patched) into the top of the Great Magma Sea to see what Sea could see, you see?

Mostly to scout out a spire I could see exactly 2 squares of.

And I spotted a THIRD spire.

And it looks like I can easily yoink off quite a bit of that spire.

The one I was scouting? not so much.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:49:43 am by Maul_Junior »

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49848 on: March 30, 2017, 07:01:03 am »

Just had a bar brawl in my tavern. Interestingly enough, I've not seen brawls for a long time.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wait, why she grabbed him by the throat? I thought brawls are supposed to be non-lethal.

I think the frequency of brawls is defined by "CE_ERRATIC_BEHAVIOR" and "CE_CHANGE_PERSONALITY:FACET:BASHFUL" in definition of alcohol syndrome. What will happen if I'll increase the severity of this effect? More fun? I have to try it. Definitely.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:02:41 am by lobster1050 »

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49849 on: March 30, 2017, 08:26:59 am »

I am currently under a siege without any siege-ers.

Some goblins left immediately after entering the map, and the rest I've killed, but the siege flag won't clear for some reason.

Not sure what to do next. Having fun with forgotten beasts and elaborate training excercises in the mean time.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #49850 on: March 30, 2017, 08:40:02 am »

I am currently under a siege without any siege-ers.

Some goblins left immediately after entering the map, and the rest I've killed, but the siege flag won't clear for some reason.

Not sure what to do next. Having fun with forgotten beasts and elaborate training excercises in the mean time.
Wait for the new year, it might clear around then.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49851 on: April 01, 2017, 02:15:11 am »

Oh.

Well.

That'll come in handy I guess.

It was a possession too. Dude was building this right next to a smelter with literally hundreds of bars of gold.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49852 on: April 01, 2017, 09:17:52 am »

The Forgotten Beast is dead. long live the Forgotten Beast.

Granted, my strategy so far has been "Wait until the local wildlife kills them off."

FB #3. Breathes fire. Checked the wiki and decent shield useage should keep my dwarves safe. Unfortunately I had just instituted a training program. Drafting the miners and my noble weaponsmith with his gold artifact warhammer. plus a couple folks for marksdorf training.

So.....gonna give it a little while to let them get decent support skills. Because, being Legendary +5 Miners, they should be good at damage with their Steel Picks, but armor use, shield use, and the rest will need a bit of time to level up.

In the meantime, the last FB had been haunting the first cavern level, this one is haunting the third (and burning it the fuck down).

Time to draft a couple of emergency miners and drop a shaft down as far as I can (and possibly get some live-action training in for the new recruits).

Oh Mr. Clothier. it's time to dust the rust off your Proficient Mining skill!

btw.....

Helm
Mail Shirt
Breastplate
Greaves
High Boot
Shield
Weapon

is the best armor loadout, right (with a couple socks and mittens thrown in so they can get good thoughts from acquiring new stuff)?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49853 on: April 01, 2017, 09:22:03 am »

FB #3. Breathes fire. Checked the wiki and decent shield useage should keep my dwarves safe.

Keep in mind that while shields can protect your dwarves from direct effects of fire breath, they may still find themselves baconized if they stand on anything flammable.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49854 on: April 01, 2017, 09:39:11 am »

which is why I will

A) prepare a battlefield inside the walls of the cavern

and B) only break through said walls to attack him with civilian miners (who will scurry behind a drawbridge) in/near an area that has recently been set on fire but only after

C) I've finished the completion of the main shaft expansion through Caverns 2 and 3, because this guy showed up basically as SOON as the last FB died.

also D) let this FB get damaged in encounters with other wildlife to make it easier to kill it and

E) break out the Adamantine I mined earlier.

EDIT:

Armok damn it, Militia veterans! Do not leave your recruits alone in the caverns!

Although that troll is hanging onto the side of that wall pretty damn hard. May have to send down the Marksdorf trainees to knock him loose. Just gotta check to make sure they're fully armored, first.

RIP Shorast Oilbarbed.

Should not have left you alone out there. You might have survived if my combat folks had been about ten seconds faster.

Or, you know, your right arm hadn't gotten ripped off. I just had to get a few more cave spider webs.

Welp, time to seal off Cavern 1, move onto Cavern 2.

Candy spear, though. I need to make an Artifact spear squad now. iron and candy.

On a side note, I've killed my first ever FB. two other FBs have died in this fort, but they got killed off by wildlife.

EDIT: Another fire-breathing FB made it into the fort because I made a mistake in sealing off the second cavern, then slaughtered 14 dwarves (out of 34) before it got put down.

EDIT2: due to an unintentional savescum (screw you, auto-update windows while I'm off eating food!), time has been turned back.

Those 14 dwarves are alive, again still. Time to rustle up the military dwarves, kill the FB (again), and drain the water that caused the issue in the first place (3x3 stairs turned into 2x2 due to water I hadn't drained).

Maybe turn that cavern into the new farming area while I'm at it, using the water pumped away.

EDIT: RIP legendary Broker and bookkeeper. You shall be missed. mostly because now I have to make someone else a bookkeeper. the legendary appraiser part was sweet, but you didn't really have any skills to miss.

So, wait. You were ONLY a Legendary Appraiser, and the rest of the time you sat around NOT writing books as a scholar in my library, NOR my bookkeeper? Fair enough, then.

.....on the other hand, it's probably SCRIBES that write books.

idiot.

Also, I just got ANOTHER candy spear artifact.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:22:26 am by Maul_Junior »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49855 on: April 03, 2017, 07:32:51 am »

Choosing a location... they're all so samey. This game needs more geographical variation.
One wheel short of a wagon

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49856 on: April 03, 2017, 07:44:37 am »

Well. Shit.

Set up a small hallway to fight the clowns in, nothing major, already sealed the warriors behind a raised drawbridge, assuming we'd lose like my last three attempts. Just as the sacrificial miner is tinging away at the candy barrier between us and damnation... Damnation arrived aboveground, and within the fortress, in spades. A vile force of darkness arrived, with a pair of weapon masters at it's head... And it happend to be the night that werebeasts transform... A whereiguana reared it's ugly head in the newest migrant wave, which happened to be in the tavern at the moment, instantly ravaging the mayor in the strangest fashion...

And then the clowns were release the moment I unpaused from the wereiguana.

I was starting to like this place too...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49857 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:36 am »

Well. Shit.

Set up a small hallway to fight the clowns in, nothing major, already sealed the warriors behind a raised drawbridge, assuming we'd lose like my last three attempts. Just as the sacrificial miner is tinging away at the candy barrier between us and damnation... Damnation arrived aboveground, and within the fortress, in spades. A vile force of darkness arrived, with a pair of weapon masters at it's head... And it happend to be the night that werebeasts transform... A whereiguana reared it's ugly head in the newest migrant wave, which happened to be in the tavern at the moment, instantly ravaging the mayor in the strangest fashion...

And then the clowns were release the moment I unpaused from the wereiguana.

I was starting to like this place too...

RIP your hopes and dreams. RIP.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49858 on: April 03, 2017, 11:51:11 am »

Embarked at the newest location of Sweetcoal. Immediately upon unpausing, two alligators attempted to make a meal out of my intrepid band. Almost immediately after killing one and scaring off the other, it started raining blood. A few seconds later, the one alligator returned with a friend, initiating the second battle of the fort.

All this on a single day, without a single thing done other than drafting my initial military of one and surveying the land.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49859 on: April 03, 2017, 12:34:34 pm »

Choosing a location... they're all so samey. This game needs more geographical variation.

And here we have a mountain, let's paint a pretty little tree on there.

And then a little red for dwarf blood, some friendly little zombies, and a friendly little goblin horde.

Here we have a waterfall, with some pretty little red at the bottom. Let's paint this friendly little dwarf at the bottom. Oh look, now we're painting a friendly little Giant Alligator and his friend the Carp!

Pages: 1 ... 3322 3323 [3324] 3325 3326 ... 3842