Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3319 3320 [3321] 3322 3323 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105958 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49800 on: March 24, 2017, 09:51:42 am »

Well, I managed to make the noobiest mistake possible at my latest corpse-strewn hell hole. I forgot to build a still or kitchens.

I had farms up, and built nice walls and had even decided to have the dining room/tavern on the surface to fight cave adaption. Kept finding corpses and couldn't figure it out until I went to check the kitchens area, and realize it was empty. Oops.

Out of a population of 40, 2 still live. Though to be fair, 6 died due to a bout of Werepanther (first one killed two, bit one, which turned, and killed three more, while the last was bitten but didn't turn, and died in a rough quarantine in the crypts). Both survivors are military, with no skills beyond a bit of masonry.

One of those things that become so routine that you never remember if you've done it or not.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #49801 on: March 24, 2017, 10:14:34 am »

One of those things that become so routine that you never remember if you've done it or not.
I always go into "fort setup mode" and build a beginning of a fort identical to all my others. That ends up with me having every workshop, a few dozen bedrooms, and a stocked hospital before the first migrants show up.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49802 on: March 24, 2017, 12:33:53 pm »

I always go into "fort setup mode" and build a beginning of a fort identical to all my others. That ends up with me having every workshop, a few dozen bedrooms, and a stocked hospital before the first migrants show up.

I only get bedrooms done after the second or third migrant wave. I typically don't have any tantrums before then, and I find that a large source of early game of unhappiness is the lack of mugs. So I try to have breathing room to set up the necessary workshops before I build beds.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49803 on: March 24, 2017, 02:49:40 pm »

I only get bedrooms done after the second or third migrant wave. I typically don't have any tantrums before then, and I find that a large source of early game of unhappiness is the lack of mugs. So I try to have breathing room to set up the necessary workshops before I build beds.

I normally build kitchens/stills once I have farms and a food stockpile going. I simply got distracted and forgot to actually build the kitchens and stills in their alloted area. I had already dug it out even.

It wouldn't have been an issue if the mechanics had gotten to making mechanisms before the river froze. Then again, I still would have had a sober fortress.

I usually wait to build bedrooms after I have the basics up and running as well. I do try and build a dorm that will eventually be turned into a barracks later, but this time, since I was building extensively on the surface, I never got around to it before getting a bedroom layer built.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49804 on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »

I normally build kitchens/stills once I have farms and a food stockpile going. I simply got distracted and forgot to actually build the kitchens and stills in their alloted area. I had already dug it out even.

It wouldn't have been an issue if the mechanics had gotten to making mechanisms before the river froze. Then again, I still would have had a sober fortress.

I usually wait to build bedrooms after I have the basics up and running as well. I do try and build a dorm that will eventually be turned into a barracks later, but this time, since I was building extensively on the surface, I never got around to it before getting a bedroom layer built.

I usually have a well by now in my current fort, but I can't find the caverns anywhere. And I do mean anywhere. I have dug out massive tunnels and chambers in the mad search for a cavern, and still haven't found anything.

Really sucks because I wanted to test how strong a ballista is vs a forgotten beast. The one time I want to find one...

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49805 on: March 24, 2017, 04:19:21 pm »

Well, this happened.

Wait. . .what?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49806 on: March 24, 2017, 04:24:31 pm »

Well, this happened.

Wait. . .what?

Bats, due to how the body system words, are winged humanoids, with their wings having fingers that can grasp, leading to hilarity such as this, or in one case, when I modded in leather whips, a giant bat killing my lasher with a *Giant Bat Leather Whip*
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49807 on: March 24, 2017, 05:50:42 pm »

I made this for you, bat-hammer guy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49808 on: March 24, 2017, 06:08:14 pm »

Welp, that's a lot of rot.
EDIT:Planning on retiring my fortress, i tend to switch between the modes too often to do much, and on top of that, Im suffering from fps problems now, sadly.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:30:29 pm by Nep Nep »
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49809 on: March 24, 2017, 07:08:32 pm »

I made this for you, bat-hammer guy.

Thanks!  That's awesome. 

In other news, have just found adamantine, so next is somehow screwing up my road-dar and releasing hell again.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49810 on: March 24, 2017, 08:08:44 pm »

Damn, the goblins are sure active in my one world... They've sent their third force of darkness/a medium sized single squad at me. Had to drag the Cavern Guard away to guard the front gate, because my guys were busy fighting but a few simply ran past them towards the entrance to the keep. A single spear goblin ransacked the food and farmed goods warehouse, getting a little stabby and belligerent with one of the wood cutters, only to have his hand cut off and then spent a while dodging an axe until a dog walked by and scratched his throat open. Three goblins made it to the keep entrance, the Cavern Guard cut them down pretty fast, one kill each with just a few swings. Looked over at my main force, the twenty dorfs were in a stupid dodging fest... The combat logs were pages upon pages of both sides dodging, blocking, and parrying. The rhinos were brought low pretty fast, there's only one left, thank god I've got thirty rhino babies in the nursery.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49811 on: March 24, 2017, 09:12:38 pm »

Welp, that's a lot of rot.
EDIT:Planning on retiring my fortress, i tend to switch between the modes too often to do much, and on top of that, Im suffering from fps problems now, sadly.

One of my favorite methods of dwarf combat training is using captured troglodytes put on leashes as combat training, but I quickly learned that it is easy to have a limb cut off of said troglodyte and land into your kitchen. At the same time, I never notice this until the entire work area is filled with miasma.

By the way, if your fps problems are too bad, you can do what I do and stop fortress growth at 100 dwarves. You probably already knew that though.

Another thing you can try is mining out all of the random walls in caverns. A large source of lag can be the pathfinding AI having to find increasingly complicated ways across the cavern layers.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49812 on: March 24, 2017, 10:53:51 pm »

So after modifying the game to optimize relationship building, I've set up a small (soft cap 50 hard cap 200) fort in a low-history world. It's already winter of the first year. I currently only have two (lover level) couples out of my twenty three people. No one came with pre-formed marriages. We're getting a lot of acquaintances and friendships, but not much more yet. I did the pre-marriage suites, put taverns over top most of them. Just gotta wait for the building to be done and the migrants to dry up, then everything should settle out into a pattern that can form better relationships. The wiki didn't mention using taverns but I remember multiple instances here where people swore by putting them over the bedrooms.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49813 on: March 24, 2017, 11:34:02 pm »

Starting a new fort in a terrifying badlands.

Unfortunately/fortunately it is not reanimating, and the only creatures to have visited so far were some giant camels and giant wrens.

Have had some evil weather though, it goes by the highly descriptive name "filthy filth", sadly it appears to do nothing apart from painting my entire embark bubblegum blue.

I'm a bit disappointed to say the least.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Playfortresses

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49814 on: March 25, 2017, 03:12:43 am »

Playfortresses (what a nice random name for a fort!)

Burning
cows

The king

Upstairs

Downstairs