Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3318 3319 [3320] 3321 3322 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105955 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49785 on: March 23, 2017, 04:10:16 pm »

Gonna be posting a load of updates on the microcline tower here, so you can enjoy the madness as I experience it.

Currently, here is the entrance:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

An explanation of what is going on is in order. First things first, the second story has been completed, and the third story is being built as we speak. I plan on fortifying the second story's walls so the marksdwarves can fire on enemies from above.

As the second order of business, the random microcline floors leading from the ocean to the pit is a path of channels I used to lead water from the ocean to the pit. I didn't want anyone else dodging into it and drowning. And by anyone else, I do mean anyone else.

A random undead barn owl attacked and managed to get that poor soul to dodge into the water. He's not gonna reanimate though, because he's directly under the beach. I do have to worry about his wife and kids tantruming though, so that's a bummer.

Back to the first image, I am deconstructing those walls there so I can make the bridge entirely cover the water. I can't do all of it yet because I am expecting another caravan soon, and I don't want them to not have a path inside. But I'm just getting it set up.

Oh well. I'll give you another update when more interesting things happen. It should have its own thread by then too, so that's gonna be nice.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49786 on: March 23, 2017, 04:34:58 pm »

I stopped a seige, but a bunch of my military died, sadly, at least it wasnt in vein, though.
EDIT:OH BOY
EDIT2:
he died :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:38:22 pm by Nep Nep »
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49787 on: March 23, 2017, 05:13:35 pm »

I stopped a seige, but a bunch of my military died, sadly, at least it wasnt in vein, though.
EDIT:OH BOY
EDIT2:
he died :P

A Titan made of glass... good job beating that!

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49788 on: March 23, 2017, 05:18:14 pm »

A Titan made of glass... good job beating that!
He kinda wasted his time chasing and killing some herbalist so that he didn't get to the walls fortifying my fort easily, so the military ran up, lost a few more dudes, but killed the thing
its a good thing spit is hilariously innacurate
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49789 on: March 23, 2017, 05:21:02 pm »

I wonder if it's a good idea to let war elephants participate in axedwarf sparring sessions. Oh well, my medical staff needs training anyway.
Also there is a random necromancer siege going somewhere on the corner of the map, but so far they've been so docile I don't even need a civilian alert.
I upgraded my dining hall to a tavern. My dorfs are happy. There are x(pants)x everywhere, but I know dump-fu.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49790 on: March 23, 2017, 05:42:35 pm »

Just had a hunter gun down a whole squad of goblins without getting touched... Shots to the heart, lungs, and brain were his usual, and he dodged every bolt sent at him, only one gobbo got up to melee range and his head was simply smushed by a copper crossbow... Yet me squad of legendary marksdwarves will grab their crossbows, run into melee range, and go a bludgeoning and all die.

I try to avoid using marksdwarves unless their is a fortification wall between them and their target. In my experience, marksdwarves are mostly useless in most other situations.

I've gone so far as to only start using marksdwarves once I have firing platforms or bunkers built, where they cannot reach the enemy at all. These usually have some way to seal them off, so I can recover any wounded without risking my civilians.

I've been experimenting with building on the surface, but connecting the buildings with an underground road system. Since it's a freezing desert, not much to worry about in terms of trees or flooding.

I'd probably stick with a fortress longer if I could ever get iron.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49791 on: March 23, 2017, 05:44:57 pm »

I'm actually the opposite, I usually focus on marksdwarves to pick off from a range, but i do have close range combatants to help with fighting stuff like inorganic creatures

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49792 on: March 23, 2017, 05:53:04 pm »

I'm actually the opposite, I usually focus on marksdwarves to pick off from a range, but i do have close range combatants to help with fighting stuff like inorganic creatures

If they were a bit more consistent with picking up bolts, and picking up bolts that aren't bone for that matter, and not ignoring those they do have to charge in and try bashing heads in, I might rely more heavily on them in the field. As it is, I don't even find them reliable enough even when in prepared positions.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49793 on: March 23, 2017, 05:55:05 pm »

If they were a bit more consistent with picking up bolts, and picking up bolts that aren't bone for that matter, and not ignoring those they do have to charge in and try bashing heads in, I might rely more heavily on them in the field. As it is, I don't even find them reliable enough even when in prepared positions.
It might be that I'm just a noob with fortress mode, being less acclimated to it than Adventurer, which im highly useful, either way, I'm having Fun.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49794 on: March 23, 2017, 06:06:13 pm »

I'm preparing to revisit an old concept:

Vaults, like Vault-Tech. More, Dorf-Tech. These would be completely sealed off from the outside world, to allow the fort to survive any siege or attack.

Each Vault will have, at minimum:

• A place to grow food
  • A breeding pair of cats
  • A breeding pair of pigs
  • possibly a breeding pair of dogs
  • Pig Tails, Dimple Dye, Cave Wheat, and Plump Helmets (and/or their seeds)
  • Emergency Mood Workshop (with a stash of materials for each)
  • a breeding pair of poultry
  • Full Bedrooms

Most will be stocked with at least 1 breeding pair of Dwarves, sometimes more.

Once I get 1-2 Vaults set up, I'll be experimenting with Magma (still not that confident with it as a player), and getting some Magma-powered Kilns, Glass Furnaces, A Forge or two, and Smelteries set up. With 1-2 airlocks in place to get more materials/retrieve finished materials from the Vaults.

Additionally, I plan on building rooms in each Vault for a Temple, a Library, and a Tavern, so they get those needs met as well. All part of the same Library, Temple, and Tavern in the same Fort, but with branches in each Vault.

One of the Vaults will end up being a Doomsday Military Squad fort, with a couple of civilian dwarves to make sure the Squad that's locked in there is fed, watered, and clothed. They will only be released if the rest of the fort dies off, and needs to be avenged. In the meantime, the Doomsday Vault will do nothing but training.

Other Vaults will specialize in different aspects, and will have airlocks to send out Masterworks for caravans. Additionally, any and all Artifacts will be locked away in the Vaults, to prevent their loss.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49795 on: March 23, 2017, 06:09:23 pm »

OH! Speaking of glass, can i use the Forgotten beast corpse as a source of glass, since mine was made of it?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #49796 on: March 23, 2017, 06:10:57 pm »

OH! Speaking of glass, can i use the Forgotten beast corpse as a source of glass, since mine was made of it?
I wish, but no.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49797 on: March 23, 2017, 06:17:09 pm »

I wish, but no.
Aww, that sucks, it would have been a nice source, giving that the FB is likely the size of a bronze colossus or something

EDIT:I just remembered how horrifying it was to see the booze stockpile just plummet without knowing it was the lavish meals that were doing the job, and it went on for the whole second year until i saw a few cooking jerks taking the barrel and setting it onto the kitchen
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:31:19 pm by Nep Nep »

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49798 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:54 am »

Well, I managed to make the noobiest mistake possible at my latest corpse-strewn hell hole. I forgot to build a still or kitchens.

I had farms up, and built nice walls and had even decided to have the dining room/tavern on the surface to fight cave adaption. Kept finding corpses and couldn't figure it out until I went to check the kitchens area, and realize it was empty. Oops.

Out of a population of 40, 2 still live. Though to be fair, 6 died due to a bout of Werepanther (first one killed two, bit one, which turned, and killed three more, while the last was bitten but didn't turn, and died in a rough quarantine in the crypts). Both survivors are military, with no skills beyond a bit of masonry. 

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49799 on: March 24, 2017, 07:33:25 am »

Oh dear. My legendary farmer lost some fingers (no idea how) and got treated by my medic (sutures applied to some wounds, but not all). That was a while ago.

Now he seems faint from blood loss. I used dfhack to mark him for extra diagnosis, but the chief medical dwarf looked at him and was like "looks fine to me".

What do?
Pages: 1 ... 3318 3319 [3320] 3321 3322 ... 3842