Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3314 3315 [3316] 3317 3318 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106218 times)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49725 on: March 15, 2017, 05:31:50 pm »

I made a new world and decided to settle down right next to a dark fortress on a glacier, I dug down and set stuff up, the usual, but much to my delight the adamantine spire went up to the third cavern layer so I was able to get some easy adamantine, unfortunately when I was foolishly making an obsidian generator on top of an adamantine spire, the demons were released and I was barely able to block them off from the main fortress area. I guess I have something planned for if I'm about to lose my fortress to goblins.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49726 on: March 15, 2017, 05:51:30 pm »

Dorfs are continuing to work on megaproject, slowly but surely. Lack of invasions, however, has left my bloodlust wanting.

Thus, without further ado and with reckless abandon, we pierced the caverns for the first time. Plans are already in the pipeline for conquering these holes in the ground.

May Armok have mercy on my sub-20 FPS.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49727 on: March 15, 2017, 07:05:29 pm »

Thus, without further ado and with reckless abandon, we pierced the caverns for the first time. Plans are already in the pipeline for conquering these holes in the ground.

I always immediately build cages and mechanisms and tap into the caverns. It's an amazing source of food for early and even late game, and it makes the game more fun. Dunno what else one can ask for.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49728 on: March 15, 2017, 09:53:54 pm »

Well, this is, not good. Seems the demons are multiplying over 30 demons have been born so far. The demons have also swarmed the second and third cavern layers and are killing everything they see, the poor forgotten beasts don't stand a chance. Fortunately I was able to acquire a fair amount of adamantine before accidentally released the demons so I should be able fight them at some point, I'll have to since they keep multiplying, at this rate their going to double in number from giving birth.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49729 on: March 15, 2017, 09:57:30 pm »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49730 on: March 15, 2017, 10:45:03 pm »

You need more cave crocodiles.

I've been testing my mod lately. Lots of boring do-the-same-thing-over-again stuff. I did have a llama go berserk in their magic llama pasture, though. So critters are occasionally being affected by the new negative effects, although that was a pretty extreme, if obvious, example. Usually it's just a nasty cold or turning into a frog.
Keas and buzzards are still thieving assholes, turns out.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49731 on: March 16, 2017, 02:21:13 am »

Work on the dungeon-tavern was slightly delayed after a deconstructed pillar caused the roof to drop on the brand new floor (no one told me these fortress roofs were natural stone!). One dwarf, who was standing on the hatch sealing off the dungeon below got smashed through and died instantaneously.

Shortly thereafter, a ranger was mauled by a black bear. The militia dispatched it, but wasn't quick enough to save the bear's victim.

However, the fortress isn't shrinking: petitions have added two human bards to my fortress. The first I picked because he was dual-wielding books, the second because of his badass assortment of goblin bone jewelry (apparently he killed seven gobbos in worldgen). Bedroom situations are a bit tight right now, but will be taken care off once the tavern proper is open.

Speaking about the tavern, it's almost done! I just need to put the already-constructed chairs and tables in place, re-designate the area, and wait for the guests to flock to the fortress looking for adventure and blueberry wine!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49732 on: March 17, 2017, 10:35:21 am »

I think my dwarves are stealing cut gems.

My cut gem stockpile is empty so I go look where the cut gems are going. Some are being carried to the leather stockpile. Some go to craftsworkshop relegated to making bone crafts to the end of time. In both places, gems just disappear.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49733 on: March 17, 2017, 11:03:57 am »

After 2 dwarves drowned in the aquifer pit it was restricted. When the third drowned, the items inside were forbidden.

Now I wait for them to make the horizontal axles, so I can create a water destruction system (using aquifer absorbtion) Instead they haul.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49734 on: March 17, 2017, 01:59:37 pm »

Ironanvil update

So I started digging 3-wide down ramps from the Military Ward area. 
At first, I dig a 3x3 room, then smooth the walls, and then channel down the last 2x3 and leaving the 1x3 up-ramp.
Then repeat until the caverns. 

I was using farm-radar in the initial planning, but succumb to using  dfhack reveal to have a clearer picture on where cavern 1 will be. 

My planned pump stack & stairs will hit water, so I need to plan a way to obsidianize those water.

Then I have this side-plan, "The Shists Tower"

Make a 5z tower to overlook cavern 1 near the pump stack pillar.   
There is 3z worth of natural cavern with some water.  But I wanted to add 2z height.   
So I channel from the top stone layers of cavern 1, and about 22-tile radius around The Shists Tower. 

Most of the jagged stone shists pillars are reduced down to the "cavern floor" z-level.

--

I had to halt The Shists Tower project when a Giant Cave Spider shows up in the map. 
I used an easy lock using hatch from above.  A few cage traps later, and I captured the GCS for another side project. 

--
A siege of 16 goblins came, and as I await the squads by the iron gates (that has never been closed).  A spear dwarf casually hangs outside, goes into a martial trans, kills a goblin recruit while being pin cushioned by iron bolts and arrows.  The speardwarf died despite giving the order to charged.  Our population is down to 98 from 100.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49735 on: March 17, 2017, 02:21:33 pm »

Scarworked, as the tavern-fortress was called before a roc destroyed it, is doing pretty well. Mercenaries and bards are flooding in, and my dwarves join them in cheer and merrymaking. An elvish and human caravan brought tons of wood and food, as well as a shiny new instrument to put in the tavern.

Currently, doing fun stuff with the dungeons has taken a back seat as I'm trying to create the infrastructure necessary for the 50+ inhabitants the fort has at the moment.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49736 on: March 17, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »

Well, I just got a lot of dwarfpower.

I had 10 dwarves (one of them child), and after 1 group of migrants I have 39 dwarves (4 of them children)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49737 on: March 17, 2017, 03:44:57 pm »

Goblin Christmas arrived late. Oh well, at least I got to do a live test run of the Piledriver. And oh boy was it wonderful. So many presents, so little time.

Test run did reveal one thing, though. While the six platinum minecarts did farely well against 70ish gobbos, apparently collisions with the invaders inevitably led to bumper minecarts. This didn't stop the entire Piledriver, as it kept on running and sometimes restarted itself when a bumper minecart wanted to stop on an impulse ramp. Still, worrisome.

A minor design flaw also indicated that the gobbos weren't pathing in a way I wanted them to: path over the catwalk, not through the trench. Nothing a minor design change can't fix.

More minecart activity is being set up for conquering the caverns. Shafts to send rock blocks for walls are almost dug out. Also thinking of a mini-Piledriver in case a near-unkillable FB appears.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49738 on: March 17, 2017, 09:05:07 pm »

What is the Piledriver? Did you make a platinum rain gun to send letters to santa?

Also.
I've gotten near my wits end with my mega project. The walls where easy to make when compared to doing flooring for the top layer.

Sooo much soap... so much.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49739 on: March 18, 2017, 12:41:17 am »

A miracle happened in my latest corpse-riddled hellhole fort, Cloakmirrored. I had dug down to the semi-molten rock level, in search of the caverns and magma. Failing, I dug out, and then up... and opened a hole directly into a cavern lake. Not only a cavern lake, but a cavern that was nothing but a lake, with a few ledges along a couple edges for a perch. It is completely sealed from outside caverns.

I wrote my miner off, even added his name to the 'dead' list of my spreadsheet... then the miracle happened. Despite no swimming skill, and fighting against water flow dragging him back towards the hold he cut into the lake bottom, he fought his way up and out of the lake, and made it to a ledge. The lowest tunnels are now flooded, but I was able to dig a passage around and connect to the underground lake, saving him from starvation.

I still haven't found the magma sea.

In other news, the marble castle walls are almost completed, as well as the tavern. Just waiting on masons to catch up with the blocks at the same time as building furniture for the tavern.  Also, as usual for my forts, half the population is children. One couple came in with 4 kids.
Pages: 1 ... 3314 3315 [3316] 3317 3318 ... 3842