Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3313 3314 [3315] 3316 3317 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106330 times)

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49710 on: March 13, 2017, 12:23:03 am »

Something with deadly dust showed up, so I just closed that cavern layer for now. We don't have the dwarfpower for cannon fodder at 25 dwarves, unfortunately.

Also trying to figure out what's keeping fps down. Fairly certain it's just the additional pathing demands of the fort getting bigger, but quite annoyed about that. Hopefully once the citadel and the magma renovations are done we'll get back up to 100.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49711 on: March 13, 2017, 09:03:09 pm »

Had a rather good fort going, had copper, silver and gold, not the most useful stuff in existence but together it makes black bronze which is my favorite. Had two minor goblin attacks with only about 15 total between both of them, but in the third year they stepped it up a bit, 140 invaders with half of them being goblin, I only had a decent/mediocre militia of ten in copper armor. They did fairly well all things considered, 60 of the 140 invaders were killed by the militia, the captain of the guard in particular did well, in the end there were simply too many, my poor militia was destroyed by the horde, then in a desperate attempt to survive I hurled the 70 or so civilians I had at the invading horde. I don't think my civilians killed even one goblin. The last one in the fort was the only child in the fort, he to perished.

Overall it was pretty fun.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49712 on: March 14, 2017, 12:32:29 am »

Finally my ridiculous pan-aggresssion policy didn't pan out, with a necro siege that soon turned into every bit of dead rubbish that had been lying around in the refuse stockpile or, often, just had never been removed, coming back to life and attacking.

Despite putting every single one of the 80 dwarves into squads, and telling all of them to kill the one remaining necromancer to the exclusion of the other dead things, not one of them actually ever even tried to attack the necromancer.  The one guy who even got near the necromancer decided just to ignore orders and spend a week attacking an unkillable pile of hair instead.

With every dead dwarf rising up to join the siege, it wasn't long before we were vastly outnumbered.

The siege ended with the undead storming the hospital, the only place with any living remaining, and nomming on the helpless, bedridden dwarves there.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #49713 on: March 14, 2017, 01:29:09 am »

I copped repeated cave-ins a bunch of z levels below where I am mining. I assume it's something in the caverns but it was pretty annoying

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49714 on: March 14, 2017, 08:27:45 am »

I decided to do something completely different and make a fortress based on the Yawning Portal.

To do so, reclaimed a fortress abandoned during worldgen (I believe a forgotten beast routed it?). I immediately sealed up the passage leading down and focused all my efforts on the tavern. So far I have several upper rooms available for renting, a reasonable dining hall, and a rapidly growing population of both petitioners and dwarves.

I intend to open up the passage into the fortress proper and let 'adventuring parties' go down to explore after a year.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49715 on: March 14, 2017, 09:02:52 am »

I have had this fortress longer that any other. It's lasted for about three weeks now, has over a hundred dwarves and almost 4 million created wealth. I have been attacked by a minotaur and two giantesses, one of them lived in this cave before I did. I am encrusting the armor statue used by the army with an image of the previous attackers on my fortress. My greatest achievement is and adamantine high boot worth 800,000.

Right now? I am waiting for the first megabeast. Come at me monsters! Come and be toppled by my countless defenses!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #49716 on: March 14, 2017, 09:45:07 am »

I was starting my goron fort by reclaiming a fort that had been destroyed by a king dodongo, when 'Horrifying screams come from the darkness below'. The fort didn't have an apparent entrance to hell, but it did have 22 demons from the underworld. More demons appear to be coming from the lava.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49717 on: March 15, 2017, 12:50:25 am »

Rainyplay was abandoned after most of the starting seven ended up frozen in the first aquifer layer. When I hit the second, I said screw it, and quit. Not one method on the wiki has ever worked for getting past the aquifer for me, except digging a huge hole and freezing the bloody thing. Not even going to try again. 

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49718 on: March 15, 2017, 07:56:56 am »

Rainyplay was abandoned after most of the starting seven ended up frozen in the first aquifer layer. When I hit the second, I said screw it, and quit. Not one method on the wiki has ever worked for getting past the aquifer for me, except digging a huge hole and freezing the bloody thing. Not even going to try again.

Dunno why everyone doesn't just remove aquifers from the game. I guess it is cheating, but if the only way you cheat is by removing something that makes the game not fun for you...

No regrets ;)

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49719 on: March 15, 2017, 09:00:55 am »

Dunno why everyone doesn't just remove aquifers from the game. I guess it is cheating, but if the only way you cheat is by removing something that makes the game not fun for you...

No regrets ;)
Completely agree. Once I am able to handle the basics in this game, maybe I'll add it back in, but until then, aquifers stay off for me.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49720 on: March 15, 2017, 10:06:01 am »

In the process of digging up my adamantine spire, ran into the third cavern layer feat. a lake. So that vein (my best) is currently on hold while I figure out how to get someone down there to (a) stopper the hole into the cavern, and (b) dig a drain into the smr for all the water...

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49721 on: March 15, 2017, 01:57:34 pm »

No regrets ;)

I keep forgetting to. I had to regen the world because I forgot to set my caverns up how I like them (1 layer, more open, massive caves connected by smaller passages). I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49722 on: March 15, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »

I keep forgetting to. I had to regen the world because I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached.

We all would, given the opportunity.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49723 on: March 15, 2017, 02:23:21 pm »

No regrets ;)

It isn't cheating to choose not to embark on embarks that have nothing but aquifer squares in them.  Other than right by the ocean, I haven't seen many 3x3 or even 2x2 embarks without at least one tile without aquifer.  Where it doesn't cover the whole embark, an aquifer is just free water, often even fresh free water.

Also, you can turn them off entirely in most of the Lazy Foo Packs (or with only slightly more difficulty with a couple shell commands).

Not disagreeing with you in general, though, I just don't think it's cheating to choose the kind of embarks you like, since it's not like this is a game you ultimately "win," and spending months of game time coping with cancellation spam and other hassles just to dig some stairs is not everyone's idea of fun.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49724 on: March 15, 2017, 03:49:21 pm »

Not disagreeing with you in general, though, I just don't think it's cheating to choose the kind of embarks you like, since it's not like this is a game you ultimately "win," and spending months of game time coping with cancellation spam and other hassles just to dig some stairs is not everyone's idea of fun.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Dunno why I don't use Lazy Noob Pack to do it though. Probably cause I'm not lazy :P
Pages: 1 ... 3313 3314 [3315] 3316 3317 ... 3842