Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3311 3312 [3313] 3314 3315 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106409 times)

FridayBiology

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49680 on: March 05, 2017, 09:20:35 am »

Trying to figuring to setup a dwarf flush system for a temple to stop my dwarfs praying all the time.

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49681 on: March 05, 2017, 01:22:52 pm »

I started a new fort which is setting up a metal industry that as of right now is limited to copper silver and gold. I'm working towards getting bronze as well so I can kill the mountain titan that lives in the nearby shrine.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49682 on: March 05, 2017, 04:24:47 pm »

What could possibly go wrong?

In other news... I haven't decided on whether to use upright spikes or a minecart shotgun for the Gauntlet (Marksdwarf's nest would be vulnerable to shotgun, methinks), but I've decided to make maintenance of it a little easier by adding bridges both alongside the path and under it.

Spoiler: Gauntlet (click to show/hide)

Naturally, this requires mechanisms. Some 180ish mechanisms. Welp, might as well dig out the King's Quarters. Although, we only have a queen...

Spoiler: King's Quarters (click to show/hide)

In addition to the Gauntlet, I'm thinking of adding a Minecart PiledriverTM with an alternate cage side path for whenever a dragon or POWsofferings to Armok appear.

No elves this year and the humans apparently bailed when they saw the field of rotting and mangled corpses lying alongside the highway. So now there's a bunch of items hanging out there that the dorfs are paradoxically reluctant to grab. Socks? SHINY! Caravan cargo? Pffft.

Come on, guys, there's good cheese out there in the refuse stockpile!

Spoiler: Topside (click to show/hide)

Also starting have my first xenoscumhumans gaining citizenship. In hindsight, accepting all those dancers and consorts may have been a bad idea. Mercenaries I don't mind, though.

As a final note, I'm purging the goat and rabbit pets. For too long have they consumed our grass for their pathetic existence. Let the reckoning begin.

Question: I have a bunch of captured wild unicorns, breeding pair too. Is it possible to add [PET_EXOTIC] to them in the current save? I want to set up a unicorn breeding program just to spite the holier-than-thou elves. And also because I hear their butcher products are valuable.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49683 on: March 05, 2017, 06:20:55 pm »

So yesterday I made a new fort after reading lots of reports on the forum about wildlife being passive, but I had a pretty different experience.

My hunter ran out of bolts while hunting water buffalos and went to beat it up. Then some other gatherers went in to help him. When I checked it, half the fortress was beating the buffalo until unconsciousness. Then the rutherers started coming up from a gap in my cavern turtling, and started fighting my other guys until everyone was clustered in one of the two mobs beating up wildlife and passing out because of exaustion.

Why are the animals beating up my dudes they should be passive :(
The water buffalo is beating your guys up because they're trying to kill it. Rutherers are well-known jerks.

As DF animals go they're not elephants from Boatmurdered, so they are quite passive.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49684 on: March 05, 2017, 07:53:45 pm »

Would be kinda cool if Dwarves came with knifes to fight with, just like the humans in Adventure Mode.

If you give Dwarves knives is the RAWS will they embark and migrate holding them?
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49685 on: March 05, 2017, 10:22:20 pm »

Made a new fort.

First migrants include someone from a reclaimed ruin fort I did and a cheese maker so far.

Update: Also, a clerk, a gosling, and a clothier.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:25:48 pm by Asin »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49686 on: March 06, 2017, 07:00:27 am »

Getting off to a good start in the new world... until the werebull came.  Now my hunter is sealed in the walls of the fort, making a plaintive mooing noise.  My militia is training and has received strict instructions for what to do if they sense bullshit.  :D
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49687 on: March 06, 2017, 11:28:40 am »

I've had two weremammoths. The first one died without incident. The second one managed to infect one of my dwarves and tossed another into an artifical lake (AKA botched lake drain). Naturally, this would not stand.

Racing against the clock, we started setting up the Sacrificial Chambers in honor of the dragon gods. A 9-z level drop onto a spiked pit, platinum statues of the gods themselves overlooking the last breaths of those who'd dare oppose them.

Unfortunately, time runs out and the infected dwarf transforms. He kills one of the human mercenaries but is otherwise slain without incident. The gods are not pleased.

But fear not, ye almighty, for we have a backup!

This foolish millstone-snorting buffoon of a dwarf has angered ye for too long! Today, we send her to the Just Killer and may the Spirit of Heavens show no mercy to this filth!

Well... Fuck.

Methinks we need a longer drop. Or more spears. Spears on repeat, even.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49688 on: March 06, 2017, 12:37:48 pm »

Made a new fort.

First migrants include someone from a reclaimed ruin fort I did and a cheese maker so far.

Update: Also, a clerk, a pet gosling, and a clothier.

Update: They all started to starve to death.

So I abandoned it.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49689 on: March 06, 2017, 12:46:55 pm »

You sure? Why not just sheathe it in a wall? Reassign whatever dwarf you have banging out coffins to make blocks instead and enable the appropriate building labor on your population. Should be done pretty quickly.

Didn't know I could do that, but apparently, you can build walls over empty air, so long as they're adjacent to something.  So I guess I'll do that.

Also, suddenly, in the course of about a minute, a bunch of animals all just dropped dead.  I checked the remaining animals for thirst, hunger, etc. and don't see anything.  Wtf?

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49690 on: March 06, 2017, 02:16:38 pm »

Also, suddenly, in the course of about a minute, a bunch of animals all just dropped dead.  I checked the remaining animals for thirst, hunger, etc. and don't see anything.  Wtf?
Were the dead animals grazing animals? Grazing animals (horses, bulls, sheep, llamas, etc.) need to be pastured on top of grass or fungus. Animals that have been adopted as pets don't need to be pastured (their owner feeds them).
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #49691 on: March 06, 2017, 03:21:03 pm »

Methinks we need a longer drop. Or more spears. Spears on repeat, even.
Leave it the way it is. If they live, the gods have shown mercy!

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49692 on: March 06, 2017, 04:58:01 pm »

As it turns out the mountain titan was a huge pushover I only lost one dwarf fighting him and no other injuries occurred. Which is strange  considering most of my militia is in copper or worse. Then again it had a spit attack which is probably only gonna hurt naked dudes

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49693 on: March 06, 2017, 05:53:36 pm »

Had a hydra come around and destroy my sun berry farm. He's now sitting in a cage.  He will obey. :D

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49694 on: March 06, 2017, 06:33:57 pm »

My militia commander/baron/swordmaster has been possessed by a ghost and tantruming lately--exploits including missing my spearmaster for over three pages of combat logs, and then literally kicking a duck's head off.

Then he calmed down.

Not sure how I feel about this.
Pages: 1 ... 3311 3312 [3313] 3314 3315 ... 3842