Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3310 3311 [3312] 3313 3314 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106417 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49665 on: March 03, 2017, 05:25:35 pm »

EDIT: Oh great, they're fighting in the Dragon's Head Temple. There's going to be blood all over it, I'm sure.
Blood for the blood good!
Sad thing is, the idiots cleaned it up.

Oddly enough, I only seemed to have lost 13 citizens. Everything was fine after that, save for the medical stuff.

Anyhow, I finally have a full squad of elite marksdwarves that rained down hell on the size 150+ invasion force of goblins, trolls and beak dogs. Routed stragglers were mopped up by the Silver Hammers, the Guard and the Spearheads.

Post-siege cleanup took, what, two months?

Been also planning on an underground area to fight sieges and avoid the dreaded sun. Marksdwarf's nest behind dry moat. Goblins lead down zig-zagging single-tile-wide path, surrounded by a moat, to a carnage area.

Been thinking about filling the path with traps. Weapon traps on the path and upright traps in the moat. Though how I'm going to get that to work alongside the new wear system is unknown. Doesn't 43.05 crash with weapon traps?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49666 on: March 04, 2017, 01:24:05 am »

A little too late, but I think DFHack command "fix/loyaltycascade" fixes loyalty cascades, according to the wiki.

Also, I don't think DF crashes with weapon traps, but that might be just me. Man, I know it's so sophisticated and all, and that Toady needs sleep, but sometimes I wish DF could be more stable when it comes to things like creatures jumping through fortifications.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49667 on: March 04, 2017, 02:00:46 am »

A little too late, but I think DFHack command "fix/loyaltycascade" fixes loyalty cascades, according to the wiki.

Also, I don't think DF crashes with weapon traps, but that might be just me. Man, I know it's so sophisticated and all, and that Toady needs sleep, but sometimes I wish DF could be more stable when it comes to things like creatures jumping through fortifications.
Df seems to crash when weapons in weapon traps break after wearing out, so it won't happen right away.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49668 on: March 04, 2017, 06:15:19 am »

Df seems to crash when weapons in weapon traps break after wearing out, so it won't happen right away.
So any suggestions for what kind of traps to use that won't crash the game? (Sans cage traps, since I still want a fight.)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49669 on: March 04, 2017, 06:32:42 am »

Do crossbows wear out from firing? Maybe you could build traps with those instead.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49670 on: March 04, 2017, 04:32:38 pm »

So any suggestions for what kind of traps to use that won't crash the game? (Sans cage traps, since I still want a fight.)

Can't go wrong with upright spikes linked to levers on endless repeat. Failing that, stone traps loaded with, say, cinnabar ought to do a number on invaders.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49671 on: March 04, 2017, 07:04:13 pm »

Can't go wrong with upright spikes linked to levers on endless repeat. Failing that, stone traps loaded with, say, cinnabar ought to do a number on invaders.

Do upright spikes not experience wear/cause crashes?

In other news the local bear population has a bit of an alcohol problem:

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49672 on: March 04, 2017, 07:12:54 pm »

Werebeasts. That's what's happening. They're everywhere. I wish I could get goblins instead.
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49673 on: March 04, 2017, 07:36:35 pm »

A masterwork bucket. *facepalms*

In other news, I'm starting up a fort in a modded game.

Archfortress in the beginnings of the world.

Game says it's Spring, but I look at the screen. There is snow. Maybe it's because I haven't unpaused it yet...

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49674 on: March 04, 2017, 07:47:47 pm »

After playing mostly ridiculously timidly, in the current fortress, partly because I messed up early on and am not entirely happy with my fort, I've been playing completely recklessly.  Anything remotely hostile, and I charge it with everything.  That has included forgotten beasts, undead invasions with necromancers, and lots of things like giant cave spiders, blind cave ogres, blind cave bears, and the usual garbage/meat like troglodytes, crundles, dralthas, trolls, etc.  Oh, and fire imps and magma crabs constantly setting stuff on fire whenever they get out.

In one funny moment, my militia commander was shooting at a magma crab, and was in steel armor head to toe except didn't have a helmet.  So a glob of lava hits him right in the head and instantly kills him.  Lol.

I have gone through about 10 expedition leaders, and one of my major industries is building coffins.  Despite this, I've just hit 50 citizens and am a barony.  I keep getting flooded with migrants, although I'm not sure why anyone would want to live here.

Also I just dug straight down until I hit magma without taking any effort at all to secure the caverns.  So my access to the lower level is currently through an absurdly large 25+ z-layer cavern, and much of the 3 square stairway is surrounded by nothing but empty air and a huge drop.  Whenever anyone encounters so much as a crundle on it, there's a good chance they immediately dodge off into thin air and splatter 20 levels below.  At the bottom, there's a gorefest full of random body parts and blood everywhere.

The current military is actually pretty good, with deaths being rare, although everyone in it has the "doesn't really care about anything anymore" tag.

I'm trying to make the fort a little safer now that I'm not about to die at any moment, but it's a lot tougher to retrofit a fort to be secure after you built it completely recklessly than to do it right in the first place.  The major thing (I've installed drawbridges and secured the top part pretty well now) is to bypass the completely unsalvageable "Stairway of Death."  This is trickier than I was hoping, partly because of an aquifer and partly because of the ridiculously unwieldy huge cavern it's in.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49675 on: March 04, 2017, 11:51:58 pm »

The major thing (I've installed drawbridges and secured the top part pretty well now) is to bypass the completely unsalvageable "Stairway of Death."  This is trickier than I was hoping, partly because of an aquifer and partly because of the ridiculously unwieldy huge cavern it's in.
You sure? Why not just sheathe it in a wall? Reassign whatever dwarf you have banging out coffins to make blocks instead and enable the appropriate building labor on your population. Should be done pretty quickly.

As for Cupsfull, well, Cupsfull overfloweth in oh so many ways. It looks like we've capped out at 41 juveniles (almost every one born to the fortress) after I enabled a ridiculously strict child cap. I managed to kill eight dwarves making a cistern. One hit the bottom of the empty well after deconstructing the floor tile he was standing on, and the other seven drowned after deconstructing the still-full aboveground filling trough. The one that went splat was my legendary weaver too, so I'm annoyed. Lastly, Cupsfull was visited by two uninvited guests in quick succession: A Bronze Colossus and a Giant, only a few months apart. I've decided discretion is the better part of valor so they're both cooling their heels in cages.

So far the outdoor garden (around the previously mentioned cistern) is being constructed completely without accident, which is good because I've been removing a lot of dirt with careful channeling and I've had bad experiences with mass channeling before. I think three level high walls (and yes, I'm going to add overhanging fortifications) and eight tiles in every direction is enough to prevent climbers, probably. Might take the opportunity to channel some more and make an underground "outdoors" farm plot. Gonna need it for the rope reeds and sun berries.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49676 on: March 05, 2017, 01:22:59 am »

My fort just turned 10 years old. I got attacked by a bronze colossus.
The thing was pitifully weak. My Zerg rush of trained mercenaries, foreign legionnaires, and child soldiers just killed the thing with zero casualties.

It's been a decade, yet I haven't even breached the cavern layer.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49677 on: March 05, 2017, 01:28:13 am »

A masterwork bucket. *facepalms*

In other news, I'm starting up a fort in a modded game.

Archfortress in the beginnings of the world.

Game says it's Spring, but I look at the screen. There is snow. Maybe it's because I haven't unpaused it yet...

Buckets were all being melted to train up my blacksmith lol

And it's probably just a cold biome some never go above freezing

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49678 on: March 05, 2017, 02:13:14 am »

I've started a new fort with the intent to make a massive underground temple dedicated to the moon, which will have a large pit in the middle of it for sacrifices. Basically its going to be a fort of moon cultists. I've designed both the temple and the catacombs that will be under it, I'm not satisfied with the temple yet but I'm rather fond of the catacomb design. Things are going rather well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:36:39 am by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49679 on: March 05, 2017, 08:53:17 am »

I've started a new fort with the intent to make a massive underground temple dedicated to the moon, which will have a large pit in the middle of it for sacrifices. Basically its going to be a fort of moon cultists. I've designed both the temple and the catacombs that will be under it, I'm not satisfied with the temple yet but I'm rather fond of the catacomb design. Things are going rather well.

"We render your soul unto the moon! May your blood sate its hunger."

-Wild Lulana appeared!-
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"
Pages: 1 ... 3310 3311 [3312] 3313 3314 ... 3842