Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3309 3310 [3311] 3312 3313 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106487 times)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49650 on: March 01, 2017, 11:37:05 am »

Combatshield's back!

Happy fun exploration time in the second cavern layer revealed just more mangled corpses and blood splatters. My guard captain also followed a passage to the first layer, but apparently it doesn't actually connect there; it just ends in some standalone hollow the same height as the place it should lead to. I returned the captain to the fortress after that.

The well next to the hospital finally got finished. Good job, everyone who's hauled buckets of water up there over the last few years!

The temple of Mathus, goddess of death, birth, rebirth, poetry and inspiration, has been expanded so there's more room for slabs now. A performer has also been assigned.

Three blind cave ogres showed up on the second layer, smashed a door, and walked off. I had my professional militia attack them, which they did with horrifying efficiency. First ogre got himself brought down by blood loss from a punctured heart, second one got a spear through the brain, third one's skull was crushed in with a hammer. Then one reanimated and was killed again, then a gremlin showed up and got killed in a single blow. Note that all this happened without any dwarf getting hit.

On the surface, less heroic battles were fought as my guard captain killed a porcupine by chopping it in two and punching its skull in. Remains have been dumped; I'm considering a mass surface cleanup once my military forces are less occupied.

Finally, some migrants arrived; we're up to 120 souls now.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49651 on: March 01, 2017, 12:06:30 pm »

Had my ass handed to me by some kobolds... Their first tactical strike took my anvil and fish barrel... Then they took the replacement anvil and an artifact robe... Then they sent a squad and killed my military as they were training on a rhino, exhausted, stabbed em all in the lungs and moved onto civilians.

Congrats. You have not lived until you've seen swolebolds.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49652 on: March 01, 2017, 03:36:38 pm »

Had my ass handed to me by some kobolds... Their first tactical strike took my anvil and fish barrel... Then they took the replacement anvil and an artifact robe... Then they sent a squad and killed my military as they were training on a rhino, exhausted, stabbed em all in the lungs and moved onto civilians.

Congrats. You have not lived until you've seen swolebolds.

It is my fervent belief that they returned wielding the anvils as bludgeoning weapons.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49653 on: March 01, 2017, 05:26:37 pm »

Swiggity swanvil I'm comin for that anvil
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #49654 on: March 02, 2017, 06:02:26 am »

4 years in and I get my first ambush - a small wolvar striking party, with a spearman as a leader.
They initially ambushed a speardwarf from one of my squads - unfortunately unarmed at the time. Regardless he held out long enough for some of my military to show up.

Should probably commission a statue for this dwarf as they seem rather badass.

One of my wrestlers killed some of the unarmed recruits that were part of the ambush party - hoping to make a full swordsman out of him though.

Lastly a merc messed up a lasher who I thought was gonna get one of my soldiers. There were a few more warriors remaining but they fled as the lasher died. Lastly my soldiers ganged up on the party's crossbowman who was too far away from the map's edge to flee. I'm guessing they'll be back some time.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49655 on: March 02, 2017, 06:09:41 am »

Combatshield fell after a less-than-wise decision to dig into an unexplored part of the first cavern layer. You know, the one with all the undead. In my defense, I did create multiple doors as a safeguard, but they ended up getting blocked by the swarming undead. My militia did take out a large number of the monsters, but even they were powerless against the swarming dozens of dralthas and scores of gorlaks.

When it became apparent the fortress was doomed, I had the forest titan released, as well as the corpse disposal pit opened. It was great, bloody, dwarfy fun.

Last to survive were the guard captain's two-year-old son and the mayor. The son was killed when he stumbled across our resident titan (which got annihilated shortly thereafter), and the mayor died with honor, rushing a headless dwarf corpse.

So ends the saga of Combatshield.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49656 on: March 03, 2017, 06:53:07 am »

So yesterday I made a new fort after reading lots of reports on the forum about wildlife being passive, but I had a pretty different experience.

My hunter ran out of bolts while hunting water buffalos and went to beat it up. Then some other gatherers went in to help him. When I checked it, half the fortress was beating the buffalo until unconsciousness. Then the rutherers started coming up from a gap in my cavern turtling, and started fighting my other guys until everyone was clustered in one of the two mobs beating up wildlife and passing out because of exaustion.

Why are the animals beating up my dudes they should be passive :(

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #49657 on: March 03, 2017, 07:07:52 am »

A cyclops came into my fort, then as she approached my trade depot she started running off in fear of my fort's tanner (who was accompanied only by a single wrestler).

Several minutes later she passed out from exhaustion and was stabbed in the head by the wrestler until she died.

Huh.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49658 on: March 03, 2017, 10:24:26 am »

A cyclops came into my fort, then as she approached my trade depot she started running off in fear of my fort's tanner (who was accompanied only by a single wrestler).

Several minutes later she passed out from exhaustion and was stabbed in the head by the wrestler until she died.

Huh.

Stabbed with what?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #49659 on: March 03, 2017, 10:31:24 am »

Huh.

Stabbed with what?

The tanner's smell, of course! That's what the cyclops was running from!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #49660 on: March 03, 2017, 11:42:20 am »

Huh.

Stabbed with what?
A bladed tonfa that this particular wrestler happened to be carrying - it's weird since it keeps switching ownership for some reason (as in, I see many other military dwarves with it occasionally).

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #49661 on: March 03, 2017, 11:52:15 am »

Huh.

Stabbed with what?
A bladed tonfa

What mod is that? Or do tonfa appear in this game now?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49662 on: March 03, 2017, 12:39:01 pm »

Gobbos arrived, drawbridges raised in preparation for sallying, and suddenly a child dies. "Rather strange," I thought, "but ok." Then two more children die. A mercenary pikeman dies outside the walls. Then one of the human visitors.

"Fucking hell," I muttered. Checking what the hell is going on, there's fighting down by the bedrooms and now in the tavern.

And they are still attacking each other.

I think I may be having my first loyalty cascade.

Welp! Let's see who's still alive after this. I locked some people in the food storage, but they don't have any picks.

The gobbos will be so disappointed.

EDIT: Oh great, they're fighting in the Dragon's Head Temple. There's going to be blood all over it, I'm sure.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #49663 on: March 03, 2017, 02:21:14 pm »

Huh.

Stabbed with what?
A bladed tonfa

What mod is that? Or do tonfa appear in this game now?
It's my own modpack - been doing fort mode tests with it since I haven't really done so before.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #49664 on: March 03, 2017, 05:12:23 pm »

EDIT: Oh great, they're fighting in the Dragon's Head Temple. There's going to be blood all over it, I'm sure.
Blood for the blood good!
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.
Pages: 1 ... 3309 3310 [3311] 3312 3313 ... 3842