Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3303 3304 [3305] 3306 3307 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106739 times)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49560 on: February 14, 2017, 11:37:56 am »

Combatshield continues its slow growth.

All animals have either been slaughtered or placed in the new pens. Pigs, sheep, water buffalos, alpacas, a goat and a reindeer all comfortably graze in their new separate rooms, and nearby ducks, turkeys and guineafowl root around. Below them, farmer's workshops are ready to start producing milk and cheese. I should probably dig a path to the dumping tunnel, though; can't risk something dying of old age and wiping out its room.

The undead camels have moved again! Three of the fiends attempted to sneak inside, but the trap corridor combined with the militia being awesome took them down quickly. My mace lord is up to nine kills now. Camel bodies were dumped down the shaft as usual, where they temporarily killed some variety of reanimated livestock.

Furthermore, work on a tunnel into the lower cave layers has started. I'm hoping to get some magma so I can properly decorate a temple to the god of volcanoes.

In addition to all that, my fortress is about to hit the 1000000 dwarfbucks! At the celebratory feast, delicious roasts consisting mostly of plump helmets with the occasional egg or steak will be served.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49561 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:25 pm »

There is over 300000 gold in my 4x4 map.

None of it is above the second cavern layer, apparently.

I'm probably going to find some kind of massive geode at the bottom of the world. There's only like 10z between where I am now and magma (I assume).
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49562 on: February 14, 2017, 08:39:12 pm »

Eight thousand white yams.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49563 on: February 14, 2017, 10:35:57 pm »

finished walling off my DOOMSLAYERS from outside world
unfortunately now I have no reason to keep playing; have full steel for military I'll never use and no reason to go for adamantine; infinite food and drink

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49564 on: February 15, 2017, 05:49:56 am »

finished walling off my DOOMSLAYERS from outside world
unfortunately now I have no reason to keep playing; have full steel for military I'll never use and no reason to go for adamantine; infinite food and drink

Time to open up?
And ainīt adamantine in itself a reason  to dig after adamantine?

I have by myself just started the production of my 80z-levels high magma pumpstack.
So now Iīm on my way to get a real metalindustry into my fort. Some magma will be good when I need to refill my 8 z-levels that are both rich in metal, flux and aquifiers.

ainīt that many extra levels to ad for the pumpstack after i penetrated the aquifier a second time so in time I will have a nice magmapool just outside the entrance of the fort. You do after all need some streetlight outside..
unfortunaly my embark miss so I need to use iron instead of glass that I usally use. I do never like to use

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49565 on: February 15, 2017, 06:24:36 am »

Decided to make a 10 deep pit, with spear traps at the bottom. Worked pretty good, no bodies to clean up, but it seems they're jammed with bodies now, as there's no messages in the combat log about spear anymore. Ohwell. Most thing's die on impact anyway, and what survives has to deal with a rattlesnake, which seems to enjoy constantly injecting it's venom until the victim bleeds out. I also dropped a vampire down there, good riddance.

The library's not pumping out a massive amount of books, but it's not exactly massive itself anyway. In fact, my own scholars haven't written anything, just discussed lots of topics. Only visiting scholars have written.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49566 on: February 15, 2017, 02:06:55 pm »

Combatshield is exploring!

First the boring news: a jeweler got moody and created a 'perfect yellow zircon'. I've never had one before, so that's neat, but it's kind of underwhelming when compared to gem statues, awesomely-named rings and prophetic figurines.

I also discovered the second and third cavern layers! Second is very tall (nearly 30 z-levels in height), but without vegetation or water. There's some (giant) cave swallows fluttering around, and a few webs litter the ground, but otherwise everything's quiet. This is made far more ominous by the reacher/manera/blind cavern ogre blood splatters covering the walls: where the hell did the corpses go? I sent the brave guard captain in to go explore, and so far he's only found more blood splatters and the odd troglodyte corpse.

The third cave layer is less creepy; it's a perfectly normal watery area, though short on creatures. I'm not letting down my guard, though; I'm reasonably sure an undead forgotten beast is lurking down there.

I also connected my animal pens with the necrohazard disposal system, losing a miner in the process (note to self: don't channel tiles above 15z-drops). At least he had the decency of crashing right amidst the other corpses and getting mangled in the process. Let us take a moment to commemorate the loss of a precious and valuable pick.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:09:05 pm by Derro »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49567 on: February 15, 2017, 06:08:09 pm »

Well humans, you were fun, but you guys suck... No moods, no candy, no outpost liaison so I can order the tons of rare gems you have... At least I didn't have to ever make alcohol, you guys were more than happy enough with a golden well. Have fun being the only human producer of dwarven wine, though, and the twenty or so rhinos!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49568 on: February 15, 2017, 09:25:59 pm »

It was such a good idea to embark on a volcano! I've got so much space to work with before even hitting ground level, and so much gold, iron, and obsidian! I've got a legendary stone crafter pumping out obsidian goods, a legendary metal crafter tossing out billon and silver studded gold crafts, and an accomplished gem setter and cutter covering them all with (currently) low value gems and cut obsidian. Was able to easily buy the entire first caravan, but settled for their stocks of sheet, fruit, and gems. Gifted 20k worth of obsidian goods to our king, who happens to be a stonecrafter, so he'll enjoy the items. My tavern's attracted a few visitors, not many, but this'll go up once it has rooms and golden statues lining it. Working on making the book bindings and scroll rollers for the library that I'll be working on next year, then I'll make a temple after that. Half the fort's endlessly smoothing stone, trying to keep up with a single miner but failing miserably as he hollows out more future rooms and halls.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49569 on: February 15, 2017, 10:40:17 pm »

I got a volcano that is just a standing tube of obsidian filled with magma.   No rock around it, just a pillar of obsidian.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49570 on: February 15, 2017, 10:49:51 pm »

I got a volcano that is just a standing tube of obsidian filled with magma.   No rock around it, just a pillar of obsidian.

I weep for your soul.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49571 on: February 16, 2017, 12:10:39 am »

That's not actually too bad. You could set up a pump at the top to power dwarven land mines. Sky high damnation for all who step on pressure plates. Build your primary fort in a constructed box on top. The biggest plump helmet ever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49572 on: February 16, 2017, 05:11:45 am »

Embarked on a savage tundra, hoping this works out okay... The entire map happens to have no water, checked using DFhack... A crapton of rubies though, over one thousand, no sapphires, star rubies, emeralds, or faint yellow diamonds sadly. Lots of cassiterite and tetrahydrite, and some hematite, so I'm set for military metals, as well as flux and gold. There's also apparently obsidian on the first layers of stone, so I'll be producing obsidian stonegoods for the first couple years. No trees, or bitimous coal or lignite... Thankfully I brought bitimous coal and logs on embark, and there's lots of trees in the caverns. About to unpause, going to rush everyone underground, make a farm, get some plump helmets growing, then make an area for caravans to meat me underground. Probably going to be making my home in the caverns this game.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49573 on: February 16, 2017, 08:23:30 am »

I've got two suits of armour and weapons made out of bronze for my first two soldiers, who'll be a sword and axedwarf. Got a crazy idea to train five dwarves to legendary in engraver before touching my more important areas by engraving the entire surface chunk by chunk, worked out pretty well. By keeping all the food underground, everyone seems to be safe from freezing to death, thankfully. Already have the ramps set up to let caravans come to safety underground, working on making a pair of bridges to slam shut over both entrances in case of emergency.

I've gotten a migrant wave with fourty people in it... And half of them are children. Why does everyone want to come live in the tundra?!? I think it may be time to... Ahem, "mount an expedition" into the cavern... I have no need for almost all my dwarves, whereas the caverns obviously need to be explored by men with wooden spears...

Had my first moody dwarf, brilliant! A legendary metal crafter... In a fort, with almost no fuel... Congrats, we'd get more out of a cheese maker.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:00:22 am by StagnantSoul »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49574 on: February 16, 2017, 10:30:44 am »

Alright, that's it... I've had enough of all these dwarves sitting around. Everyone who's useless is going to be put into a nice little room with masterwork engravery, and bronze spears, to... admire the traps.
Pages: 1 ... 3303 3304 [3305] 3306 3307 ... 3842