Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3301 3302 [3303] 3304 3305 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106981 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49530 on: February 10, 2017, 06:38:33 pm »

Year one: Megaproject begun. Population 12.

5 undead captured from local tower. Necromancer escapes.

Shaft to hell 11z deep.

Megaproject is 3z tall.

Most industrious 12 dwarves ever.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49531 on: February 10, 2017, 09:51:11 pm »

First time I've ever started on a dying civilization. On Legends, I had forgotten what it was, but I found just ONE site (besides one gobbo fortress controlled by a demon) not destroyed by various mega/forgotten beasts/Titans/dragons/rocs/etc etc. And now we embark. It was most definitely a hillocks, now I think of it and as I get this message.
The location is full mountains on a 5x5, except exactly ONE square (the river square lol) that is some other biome. No trees or other vegetation, hot climate ... hundreds of megabeasts etc to come kill me. No goblins, unfortunately - they've only survived because they're isolated completely from the bulk of all generated beasts.
Strike the earth! I'll probably land on a lair and get my dwarves eaten by a dragon.

So it begins. One of my dwarves is now queen. We'll see soon enough if this means the last outpost of Dwarven civilization is yours truly, when the caravan fails to arrive (spoiler alert: it almost certainly won't, there are enough Titans out there to steamroller that last site every day for the next year and a half!).
4 dwarves have military skills with secondary various skills; carpenter, mason, and smith came along for the ride. Mostly cause I'm expecting very little help and lots of megabeasts and I'm going to fight them all (after dumping them in a cagetrap filled pit to make it an arena cagematch w/ any visitors I may (not) receive/nobles).

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49532 on: February 10, 2017, 10:36:47 pm »

Emeraldmire is going pretty well, nothing eventful happened, except for a cat bone hammer being made, with an image of a war hammer in platinum on it........... The iron processing plant is finally going well without smelters walking half the map to get to the more, we found some in the south that's closer. Asmedal or however you spell his name is still pumping iron axes, picks, and bolts for the work force. Eventually I'll have him move onto steel weaponry.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49533 on: February 11, 2017, 01:51:06 am »

Decided to retire Emeraldmire again for a while, went to a new area where it's a pair of good savanas, one half temperate, one half tropical. This'll be neat. The name I was given? Orebeards.

EDIT: I just struck... NATIVE ALUMINUM??? How? Orebeards is living up to it's name! I've already found a ton of native gold and alluminum!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:07:18 am by StagnantSoul »
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49534 on: February 11, 2017, 04:02:28 am »

Combatshield is in some trouble.

First, trading with the merchants went well. I already have a small supply of forgotten beast silk crafts, and also sold some of my surplus rock goods. In exchange, I got some logs, charcoal, coke, steel, iron, gold, pig iron, armor, weapons, and a few caged animals (mostly sheep, alpacas and turkeys). Migrants arrived right after, and they bought another cat!

When I decided to slaughter some animals to make room for the new ones, a few skins reanimated. Fortunately, our faithful guard captain was there to take care of the abominable assailants, and their bodies were dumped down the shaft.

As all this was going on, a second titan appeared! Mel, a hill titan best described as a four-horned giant buzzard that spit boiling extract. The militia intercepted it in the entry corridor. Despite their legendary skills, the monster was too big to slay outright; it ended up dying of blood loss after having every artery pierced and every bone broken.

More worrying is the fact that its corpse didn't get mangled. I anxiously await its imminent reanimation.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49535 on: February 11, 2017, 04:25:21 am »

Okay........ So Orebeards is a craftmans dream. Aluminim, Gold, Silver... But only copper for war meterial. Good thing I brought along 50 cassiterite.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49536 on: February 11, 2017, 05:11:48 am »

As all this was going on, a second titan appeared! Mel, a hill titan best described as a four-horned giant buzzard that spit boiling extract.

You sound really unlucky.  Any time I have titans that show up, they're something like a giant six-legged hamster that spits extract that does nothing.  And then we just kill and eat it.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49537 on: February 11, 2017, 05:36:10 am »

As all this was going on, a second titan appeared! Mel, a hill titan best described as a four-horned giant buzzard that spit boiling extract.

You sound really unlucky.  Any time I have titans that show up, they're something like a giant six-legged hamster that spits extract that does nothing.  And then we just kill and eat it.

I think any attempt to slaughter a titan would result in the hauler getting eaten by the reanimated corpse after taking two steps. :P

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49538 on: February 11, 2017, 05:50:17 am »

By the way, I forgot to mention a new artifact. It's a gem statue decorated with stone, stone blocks, more gems, leather, steel and lead, and it's worth over 180000, over six times the second most expensive artifact's value.

Strangely, the statue itself is an image of Ber Fenceboots, one of my starting seven. Shortly after embarking he got himself trapped with undead yak bull head skins, then died of thirst a few months later. His corpse reanimated, was caught with a cage trap, and got placed in the Forest Titan Danger Corridor after being moved around a bit. Strangely, he's still listed 'missing'.

As the moody dwarf never actually knew Ber, that means her only sources for what he looked like are the rotten, caged corpse and the vague stories of my former expedition leader. I don't think the statue is too lifelike...

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49539 on: February 11, 2017, 09:04:01 am »

Okay........ So Orebeards is a craftmans dream. Aluminim, Gold, Silver... But only copper for war meterial. Good thing I brought along 50 cassiterite.
Silver is the best non-artifact blunt metal you can get.  Start cranking out Maces & Warhammers, then trade all the extras for iron/pig iron/steel.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49540 on: February 11, 2017, 11:19:11 am »

Use the bronze for armor.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49541 on: February 11, 2017, 05:24:20 pm »

Well I just bought the entire human caravan with only my leftover crafts from the dwarven. It feels nice to have a bin of just aluminum goods. My military currently consists three sword dwarves, two axe dwarves, a spear dwarf, three hammer dwarves, and one macedwarf. I feel like it's too small and puny, I don't have things like backup squads and surface militia separate from cavern militia, a beastmaster, a single legendary guy who's only going to fight when he's got a bunch of artifacts. Ohwell, they'll do for defense. They already did a pretty good job killing the angry giant rhino pair who were making a mess of my buffalo.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49542 on: February 11, 2017, 08:16:19 pm »

Zombie siege. Milling about near the edge of the map, dorfs safe indoors. Curiously zombies are hanging out with a regular living axedwarf. Hmm. Ignore them for a while.

Check up on them again and one of them (not the living axedwarf) apparently transformed into a wereelk killing 4 zombies before they took him down. Can zombies be wereelks? I guess it's also possible a random visiting wereelk turned up without a message I suppose.

During the fight, the zombie marksdwarves took a couple of shots at the living axedwarf. He dodged and I guess they're all friends again now.

With any luck I'll find something other than tin or gold to arm my militia with soon...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49543 on: February 11, 2017, 08:29:37 pm »

Wish I had gotten a screenshot... Was too busy laughing my ass off to get one. Just had a single naked dwarf arrive, announced like a megabeast or something... "The dwarf Bombul Melbilrinule has arrived! A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry!" They immediately ran off the map after.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49544 on: February 11, 2017, 08:35:04 pm »

I caught 8 zombies, but no necromancer.

A necromancer is crucial to my plots.
Pages: 1 ... 3301 3302 [3303] 3304 3305 ... 3842