Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3300 3301 [3302] 3303 3304 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106849 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49515 on: February 08, 2017, 07:17:41 am »

Actually yeah, how'd you get an interaction that turns people into gold? :V
It's a breath that has a chance of transforming a creature into an immobile "gold statue" that promptly "drowns" (for some reason I can't get them to just suffocate normally so that's the only workaround I currently have) - on death it turns into a masterwork golden statue, same as a bronze colossus. Same as petrifcation, just replace "gold" with "stone".

You could have just added a on death (from suffocating on the powder) define via a new tag to turn the affected creature into a extra butcher object statue.

*Edit - wait did i read that wrong? sorry. I misread, i thought you turned it into a creature, least you can melt down the statue after if you can bear the quality work to go to waste*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:07:48 pm by FantasticDorf »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49516 on: February 08, 2017, 12:52:07 pm »

Actually yeah, how'd you get an interaction that turns people into gold? :V
It's a breath that has a chance of transforming a creature into an immobile "gold statue" that promptly "drowns" (for some reason I can't get them to just suffocate normally so that's the only workaround I currently have) - on death it turns into a masterwork golden statue, same as a bronze colossus. Same as petrifcation, just replace "gold" with "stone".

Hmm. Any idea how to make death more instant? I suppose if the interaction combined "transform into this faked creature" with a separate syndrome that has the effect "impair function" effect, you could tell it to cripple the brain (if said creature is given a brain) to ensure it dies no matter what.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49517 on: February 08, 2017, 01:52:45 pm »

I'm just imagining the off chance where a dwarf gets converted while in water. Now we have a very confused swimming gold statue!
Off chance? I saw "deadly dust" and immediately thought "fight them in diagonal partially-submerged maze".

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49518 on: February 08, 2017, 03:13:28 pm »

Combatshield got lucky.

The dead caravan guard didn't turn out to be too big of a problem. He got up, scared the merchant a bit, then wandered into my trap corridor. First trap bisected him, second took off an arm, subsequent stone trap smashed his upper body. The shiny armor got grabbed by my haulers moments after.

After some problems, I've successfully began draining water from the cave layers into a 2-square-deep basin. No undead cave crocodiles or anything seem to be getting dragged in, so things are going better than I feared.

I also got a new litter of puppies.

Suddenly, my first uninvited guest showed up! It was a Titan, appearing as giant hairy winged earthworm that spit webs. It immediately crawled-flew into my entrance corridor, where I was painfully reminded that titans are trapimmune. Moments later, it devoured my guard dog, then did that motionless stare building destroyers get nowadays before smashing doors.

Fortress annihilation was barely prevented by a trio of brave haulers who quickly constructed lead walls in front of the soon to-be destroyed door. Moments later, a drawbridge snapped shut behind the monster, effectively locking it into place.

It was only then that I realized I'd managed to capture a web-spitter. Construction of a silk farm* is underway!

*Yes, I know silk farms are much better and safer with a giant cave spider. It's just that I yet have to see one, the caves are one big undead clusterfuck, and a forgotten beast silk farm would be AWESOME.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #49519 on: February 08, 2017, 03:59:05 pm »

Hmm. Any idea how to make death more instant? I suppose if the interaction combined "transform into this faked creature" with a separate syndrome that has the effect "impair function" effect, you could tell it to cripple the brain (if said creature is given a brain) to ensure it dies no matter what.
I think that'd still take a while to actually kill them - main issue with some of the workarounds like added paralysis is that they'd need to appear at the same time as the actual petrifaction (which isn't a 100% chance since that'd be a bit overpowered). I suppose there could be some way to have them suffocate normally (I had it happen on accident in early modding - of course now that I want it happen on purpose I can't get it to work).

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49520 on: February 08, 2017, 05:02:44 pm »

Also you needn't use [AQUATIC] to immobilize your dwarves, there is the [IMMOBILE] tag that can do that. Might want to stack them together anyway to prevent statues swimming about.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49521 on: February 08, 2017, 09:02:02 pm »

I'm just imagining the off chance where a dwarf gets converted while in water. Now we have a very confused swimming gold statue!
Off chance? I saw "deadly dust" and immediately thought "fight them in diagonal partially-submerged maze".
Me, I'm seeing the training of war sea monsters sea serpents carp.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49522 on: February 08, 2017, 10:39:20 pm »

Decided I'd go for a FPS-friendly route for once, instead of either 8x8 with a river or 5x5 with a river. 3x3 feels so small and restrictive... Hell on 8x8 I had sections of the map bigger than what I have to work with now, dedicated to 4-5 dwarves living quarters.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49523 on: February 09, 2017, 01:23:54 am »

Instead of killing them, why not just do something that leaves them paralyzed, so they still have desires and preferences and such, but can't actually act on them, as if they'd seen Ghatanathoa?  It would be utterly monstrous.  All they could do is slowly go insane.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49524 on: February 09, 2017, 03:28:15 am »

Combatshield continues to grow.

The silk farm has been set up, with a quadruple saveguard to prevent a rampant megabeast. First, there's the fortifications between it and the silk collection room. Then, it has to get through multiple doors and past a few workshops, which should at least delay it. Then there's a cage containing an undead dwarf. If it ever passes by, it should break open the cage and end up fighting the dwarf. Finally, there's a drawbridge set to close off the entire section. If all that fails, I still have my militia, whose commander just reached Legendary in hammerdwarf.

Another litter was born. I'm more than happy with that; gotta have a steady supply of bait on hand!

A metalcrafter went into a strange mood, claimed my forge, grabbed some pig tail cloth and pig iron, then demanded I give him bones. A butcher's shop was placed next to the necrohazard pit, a ram (sadly I didn't have any pigs to butcher) was slaughtered, and the animatable parts were immediately thrown down the pit. The crafter happily grabbed the bones and created... a pig iron figurine.

Great; the second most expensive item in my fortress is a crudely shaped hunk of imperfection-addled iron. At least it depicts something interesting: a zombie draltha striking down a forgotten beast beneath my fortress. At least now if an undead FB destroys my fortress, I'll know where it came from.

In less important news, a butcher got himself elected mayor. I suppose I'll get the bloke some rooms.

Back to the silk farm; it doesn't work. I have the fortifications, the drawbridge, the war dog as bait... and yet Herman the Worm is not spitting any webs. I know it can; I saw it bite a war dog's head off after immobilizing it with webs. Anyone got any advise?

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49525 on: February 09, 2017, 09:21:29 am »

Back to the silk farm; it doesn't work. I have the fortifications, the drawbridge, the war dog as bait... and yet Herman the Worm is not spitting any webs. I know it can; I saw it bite a war dog's head off after immobilizing it with webs. Anyone got any advise?

Try this:
  • Create a burrow where the war dog currently is
  • Create a new military squad and put a single dwarf in it.
  • Set the new squad so that it will always defend the new burrow when active
When you need silk, activate the squad.  The single dwarf will then stand only on the burrow and be webbed repeatedly. 

At least, that's how it works in my 40.24 fort.

Design:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Example:

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49526 on: February 09, 2017, 11:17:21 am »

Combatshield got sidetracked.

I was planning to check RocheLimit's farm design, but as it turned out I first needed to take care of some rooms for my major and captain of the guard.  While that was going on, I also had to make sure no one got themselves killed digging out a well cistern. Then I had to make sure the dwarfs who did almost get themselves killed (one got her legs broken, the other wounded his arm) received proper medical care, which included accessing the underground water source.

While all that was going on, a miner went into a strange mood and created a glorious... cassiterite throne. That's it. No engravings, no fancy materials, just a boulder of tin ore carved into the shape of a chair that may or may not have been encircled with bands of more tin ore. At least my mayor has stopped complaining about his 'horrible' office now. Not that it stops him from banning mace export, but I consider that acceptable as far as mayor bans go.

Oh, I also created a closed-off bit on the farm for the ducks migrants brought in to breed. Having a stable egg-laying population seems pretty nice.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49527 on: February 09, 2017, 03:49:19 pm »

I just created a new world. Small Island size, modified to have 250yrs history, far more embark points for any experiments I may want to do, more megabeasts/Titans etc. (10x plus in some cases), 20 minimum savagery, and three volcanoes instead of one. Well, the first world up looked great. Few elf civs, a SINGLE human civ on the coast, and two Dwarven locations (okay so these aren't civs just groups of sites, but probably are the same thing), plus two large groups of goblin sites, one stuck in the Arctic Circle on a puny island just below the glacier.

It all looked so good.

But the dwarves have taken over literally every other site on the map except for ONE Goblin civ, the isolated one. Although it's possible that the mass of hostile creatures have actually devastated the entire population of the island, killing everything but the dwarves.
Yep, on Legends mode, on the first fortress ... werebeast attacks, dozens every year in the first 34 years ... until a Forgotten Beast conquered it and settled there, 216 years before the current day.

Oops. Too many beasts.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49528 on: February 09, 2017, 07:46:19 pm »

Fort: Kneaddeep the Dead
Founded by: Doomslayers
Pop limit: 25, strict 100
Starting year: 50
Embark: picks, axes, anvil, 20 war dogs
Rules: no trading

Year 52
Two weremonkey attacks. Seven war dog deaths. Nine dwarf deaths. Just starting steel production. Have a safe water source. Working on walling off forest.

Another weremonkey attack. Lost one war dog, two dwarfs injured.

Doctor turned and killed four dwarfs and all but 2 war dogs.

Artifacts: 2
goat bone spear
rock salt statue depicting one of my dwarfs being forced to kill another who had turned
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:23:10 pm by mross »

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49529 on: February 10, 2017, 05:48:47 pm »

I don't even fucking know.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.
Pages: 1 ... 3300 3301 [3302] 3303 3304 ... 3842