Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3266 3267 [3268] 3269 3270 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120373 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49005 on: December 16, 2016, 12:18:28 am »

I started a new fort for the first time in a long while.

I actually planned out the broad strokes before I started digging, allowing me to have a nice planned-out defensive structure and sundry without running into problems with clumping all my rooms together. Very convenient.

Also I think I shall be building a missile silo as my pointless aesthetic megaproject.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49006 on: December 16, 2016, 01:00:44 pm »

A second wereass attack. This time, the militia got to it, but a hero died, the first to properly wound and immobilize the beast, her guts spilling out as she lay there.

The mayor died as well, a cripple from a moronic encounter with a giant chipmunk, who couldn't get indoors in time. Some scholar was elected mayor.

The catacombs will have to be expanded soon.
One wheel short of a wagon

PanDados

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Legendary Loafer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49007 on: December 16, 2016, 01:40:40 pm »

I don't know, if managed to take down one legendary out of a squad of them it's pretty nasty.
Yeah, but I thought the titan was going to be particularly fun and do a total squad kill and then wreck everything inside the fort.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49008 on: December 16, 2016, 03:41:39 pm »

Oh, for unarmed unskilled peasant bumrush, you'd probably look at dozens of deaths indeed. Though you didn't mention titan's breath weapon or materials or anything other than having 4 limbs, so who knows?

RobertoTheRobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49009 on: December 16, 2016, 11:29:27 pm »

I've finally got my vampire bookkeeper walled away, and a weredwarf in a 1x1 cage for longevity sake, and I'm building the 60 foot tall platinum dorf statue out front, with plans for a gold encrusted vomitorium in its shadow.  The place is trapped to the teeth, and I have a squad of half dorf half human sword and axelords (Mercs) and a 4 dorf markssquad. Once the statue and chamber are complete, I'm going to the circus.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49010 on: December 17, 2016, 10:41:33 am »

I've have dwarfs beat with a mitten or a shield before, but not one of these...http://imgur.com/a/jccCT
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49011 on: December 17, 2016, 11:29:53 am »

I have beaten other people with dual wielded dead elves.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49012 on: December 17, 2016, 11:59:57 am »

I really wish the still and kitchen would recognize the many brewables and cookables...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49013 on: December 17, 2016, 03:04:45 pm »

I really wish the still and kitchen would recognize the many brewables and cookables...

There is a kitchen screen where you can set things to brewable/cookable.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #49014 on: December 17, 2016, 04:14:00 pm »

I've finally got my vampire bookkeeper walled away, and a weredwarf in a 1x1 cage for longevity sake, and I'm building the 60 foot tall platinum dorf statue out front, with plans for a gold encrusted vomitorium in its shadow.  The place is trapped to the teeth, and I have a squad of half dorf half human sword and axelords (Mercs) and a 4 dorf markssquad. Once the statue and chamber are complete, I'm going to the circus.
You are doing a service to the Mountainhome.

I've have dwarfs beat with a mitten or a shield before, but not one of these...http://imgur.com/a/jccCT
ROFL
Why the fk was a child hauling and wielding a dead camel? I question your dwarves' combat ability.

This has got to be Adventure Mode.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49015 on: December 17, 2016, 06:57:23 pm »

If you have cave spiders in your cavern, then you can have them web nearby without ever opening up a path to caverns, I think (going by what I understand from the clutter in Breadbowl save).

Still, going to have to deal with zombiesplosion sooner than later.
Cave spiders are vermin. Vermin teleport around their biome at random.

So if you dig out any area on a cavern's z-level you'll probably be in a biome where cave spiders can exist, and they'll teleport to your exploration shaft and leave webs for your guys to collect.

You can also use this to get fisherman in safe areas. You manage to get a pool of some sort within the walls of your fort and the fish will magically teleport through the fort's walls into your pool, where the fisherdorfs can catch them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49016 on: December 17, 2016, 08:08:04 pm »

This has got to be Adventure Mode.

No it was Tijuana in '99, but it could happen in adv. mode too.

guydude64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49017 on: December 17, 2016, 08:25:10 pm »

Decided to embark on an evil, terrifying spot, at first, everything is normal, then, about five minutes into the initial digging, I get creeping murk flowing over the landscape, and me, not knowing what it will do, is relieved when it manages to not even get close to my dorfs. this creeping murk shows up several more times, and again, never gets close. fast forward two years of game time, middle of winter. I've got a hunter out, hunting wild boar. He kills it, but doesnt take it with him, because he ran out of ammo. during this time, creeping murk rolls in, washes over the corpse, and suddenly, I've got a corpse thrall of a boar up and walking around again, just in time for ranger to come strolling in. and me, not thinking it was the murk, but an unseen necromancer that raised it, sent my trained military squad face-first into the murk. Next thing I know, I have Master-Level minimum in skill zombified dwarves streaming into my fort, picking apart everyone they come across in less than a second. less than five minutes later, settlement has crumbled to its end.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49018 on: December 18, 2016, 01:35:24 am »

ROFL
Why the fk was a child hauling and wielding a dead camel? I question your dwarves' combat ability.
It killed the camel and used it for camouflage to sneak closer. A werebear in a worn camel, my dwarfs were completely fooled.

Next thing I know, I have Master-Level minimum in skill zombified dwarves streaming into my fort, picking apart everyone they come across in less than a second. less than five minutes later, settlement has crumbled to its end.
Just like a good zombie movie!
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49019 on: December 18, 2016, 10:44:24 pm »

On the off chance that you aren't just trying to toggle brewable and cookable, getting the kitchen to use many ingredients is a bit of a trick.  The best way I've found is to disable containers in food stockpiles.  Then create a stockpile around the kitchen (the kitchen is 3x3, so you will make a 5x5 space by putting a circular stockpile of 16 squares around the kitchen).  Well, not one stockpile, but 5 - 3 tiles each, except for 4 tiles for booze.  You need the extra tile for booze because it needs to have a barrel and the stupid stockpile will reserve 1 empty barrel in the stockpile, no matter what you do.  In the other stockpiles, I put 1. meat and fish, 2. plants and fruit, 3 milk and cheese, 4. everything else.  Then take from the main food stockpile(s).

It takes a bit of time to set up, but you only ever need one kitchen for making prepared meals (I often have an extra one for rendering fat, because kitchens are cheap).  The downside to this approach: no containers for food.  This is because we are forcing the cook to use up the ingredients nearby.  Once they take a stack, the stockpile tile is empty and they will have to pick something else.  What you want to avoid is having a handy supply of the same ingredient in one tile (like having 60 of the same thing in a barrel).  The other downside is that it generates extra hauling jobs.  But I don't consider that a downside because otherwise dwarfs are idle.

I do exactly the same thing with the brewery except that I reserve a single stockpile tile for pig tails and dimple cups.  That way the brewery only uses a single stack of these between hauling sessions, which leaves me enough time to process most of them.  I like my dwarven ale, but I need to cloth industry too!
Pages: 1 ... 3266 3267 [3268] 3269 3270 ... 3842