Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3265 3266 [3267] 3268 3269 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120367 times)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48990 on: December 14, 2016, 09:08:32 pm »

Welp. We're now down 1 - 3 on moods. This time one half of my star brewer duo went berserk despite my best efforts to procure whatever specific metal/cloth he wanted :'(
Not sure how he ended up in the animal pastures fighting a wolverine but a miner splattered his brains all over the walls before he could do any lasting damage.

In other news we have a mayor now and I've just finished robbing the humans of everything of value. No more dwarves will die of failed moods on my watch. Kinda sad it accounts for 100% of deaths in the fort :-\
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48991 on: December 14, 2016, 09:11:43 pm »

Starting a new fort on a Sinister mountain, reanimating of course.

Wildlife isn't so bad, Dwarves got attacked by an eagle but it was swiftly killed. Only casualty is a cat. Hurried everyone inside once the Coyote corpses appeared though.

I haven't seen what the rain does, but the dust storms are very mild. They only cause tiredness from what I've seen. Lets hope the rain is more exciting.

I knew sinister is pretty easy, so I've also embarked within range of a Tower.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48992 on: December 15, 2016, 02:06:33 am »

Spoke too soon. Clothier is running around babbling as we speak. At least I've narrowed it down to silk thread. Really should crack those caverns.

But then the caravan was kind enough to leave behind their trade goods when they disintegrated so maybe not.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48993 on: December 15, 2016, 08:26:15 am »

If you have cave spiders in your cavern, then you can have them web nearby without ever opening up a path to caverns, I think (going by what I understand from the clutter in Breadbowl save).

Still, going to have to deal with zombiesplosion sooner than later.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48994 on: December 15, 2016, 08:45:18 am »

We've captured a giant cave spider from the caverns. Not entirely sure what to do with it, since my fort is too busy with construction to set up a spider silk industry, and apparently they only live 20 years so I can't just leave it in the stockpile.

If I get round to it, maybe I'll try to set up some way of getting it to web the cage traps so I can snag a forgotten beast. Pretty sure there's a gremlin running around as well (it let a giant olm out of its cage) so capturing that would be nice too.

Other captures include a giant bat, the aforementioned giant olm, and another troll. The lower cavern is absolutely swarming with crundles and troglodytes, but they don't seem interested in my trap setup so far.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:47:06 am by imperium3 »
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48995 on: December 15, 2016, 11:19:28 am »

My dorfs just moved 15000 stones and 1000 rough gems during the past few months.
I wonder if hauling trains strength.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48996 on: December 15, 2016, 11:25:10 am »

My current fort is on hold.
It worked quite well, and we survived 2 goblin sieges and an Ettin(or whatever that twoheaded thing was named).
But we're a mountainhome now and the king is not easily pleased - we have no military at all and the passive defenses won't defend against an FB or a werecreature and i don't know how to make them work.
Turtling in isn't an option yet.

it either goes too well or too bad whenever i start a new embark...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48997 on: December 15, 2016, 11:28:44 am »

You could, like, cage the king to prevent mandates, and stick the cage in meeting hall. They'll probably be fed and watered.

Versus FB/werecreature, a door *thunk* to *shplort* mediate *crack* near ...Oh hm, seems like their mind wasn't pure.

@utunnels: Nope. For that, fastest by a mile to put them in squads and get them sparring.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #48998 on: December 15, 2016, 02:57:08 pm »

Another 20 of my dwarves just got massacred. We scared away the goblin army and started killing stragglers. Everyone seems to think that using the catapult ammo for making mechanisms is a good idea. Nobody actually wants to build the traps though. Oh - and now there's a minotaur plus a bunch of troglodytes (unsuccessfully) baiting people to the old fishing area.

Planning to slay the minotaur, and get a floodgate + pump setup in my caverns so that I can convert them to a water storage tank to lower the water level where my genius militia decided to chase troglodytes into the lake. Maybe that'll let us reach the corpses.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:18:16 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48999 on: December 15, 2016, 03:58:52 pm »

My hammerlord beat a forgotten beast to death without me even noticing. I had stationed him on a staircase in the caverns, where I was working on a project and forgot about him. The guy just single handedly saved the fortress from a poison spitting monster. Apparently for some reason the game forgot to announce it's arrival.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49000 on: December 15, 2016, 04:05:48 pm »

My hammerlord beat a forgotten beast to death without me even noticing. I had stationed him on a staircase in the caverns, where I was working on a project and forgot about him. The guy just single handedly saved the fortress from a poison spitting monster. Apparently for some reason the game forgot to announce it's arrival.

i *think* that fbs that spawn in unrevealed parts of the caverns dont generate an announcement, because ive had 3 fbs that never got announced, and all of them were in unrevealed parts of the caverns
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49001 on: December 15, 2016, 05:14:20 pm »

They'll generate one when they come into revealed part, or when you reveal that part of the map (I'd say I was glad to have used fortifications instead of digging there, but tbh the engraver could have killed that FB by their own).

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49002 on: December 15, 2016, 09:13:09 pm »

The stupid demons refuse to be baited out of hell.

These are not the clown-car. They're the ones which randomly wander in. I've gotten them out as far as a door near the top of the adamantine vein, and a random armorer had to beat one to death with a hammer, but now they won't go any further.

Hmm, maybe if I move a piece of artifact bait furniture closer...
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

PanDados

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Legendary Loafer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49003 on: December 15, 2016, 10:17:51 pm »

First titan attacked today in the early winter of 127 (my fort started in 125)

ANDDDD then a hammerdwarf breaked most of It's bones, heavily crippling it. Hovewer, the titan striked back and kicked the hammerdwarf's head, jamming the skull through the brain, so RIP hammerdwarf. Hovewer, his military friends, Urist McMacelord, Urist McSwordsdwarf A, Urist McAxelord and Urist McSwordsdwarf B avenged Urist McHammerdwarf by ganging up on the titan, and they managed to murder the quadruped menace. Looks like that titan wasn't going to be that nasty after all..

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49004 on: December 15, 2016, 10:53:36 pm »

I don't know, if managed to take down one legendary out of a squad of them it's pretty nasty.

@NonconsensualSurgery: When non-flying non-ranged demons are present, perhaps try to install the bait trap in mid-air, then connect it to the slade floor (note that demons can jump, btw. That has given me a small fun surprise before.)
Pages: 1 ... 3265 3266 [3267] 3268 3269 ... 3842