Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3255 3256 [3257] 3258 3259 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121605 times)

kingofthehour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48840 on: November 22, 2016, 09:10:29 pm »

I just discovered why you have to be careful around adamantite veins.  I figured this out at the same time as a werelizard attack.  I went from ~120 dwarfs to 88, my military is lost, and I had to block the caverns.  Time to start anew!  :)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48841 on: November 22, 2016, 09:36:02 pm »

I had just read the littlest cheese maker (took very many worthwhile hours).  I decided to play my fortress a bit when -- lo and behold!: I get a group of migrants, the last straggler being a cheesemaker (didn't notice any elves, though).  Well... I decided right then and there to appoint her head cheese maker.  I furnished her lavish quarters and commissioned a special leather backpack (with matching blue cap and mittens).  After playing for a while, I retired the fortress to have a *very* brief adventure with my adventurer (who discovered that the world has been mostly taken over by goblins).  With his untimely passing (i.e., only about 20 minutes of play -- a new record for me!) I unretired the fortress.

As usually, everything was in chaos.  Booze was gone.  Containers emptied of their containers.  Cabinets and coffers uninstalled... the usual.  But when I looked into the head cheese maker's room, what do I see?  Absolutely packed to the rafters with cheese.  And (strangely) walnuts.  Given the unlikelyhood that anyone could move countless stacks of cheese and hundreds of walnuts before they went off, I locked the door and waited for the inevitable.  I suppose I could have designated it a food storage stockpile, but I don't want to encourage this behaviour.

Cheesemakers...

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48842 on: November 23, 2016, 12:52:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I won. Now I can retire and never play this fort again, yay

For those curious, Zagod is a dwarven god of chaos. Seemed appropriate.

Fox Mulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48843 on: November 23, 2016, 02:19:03 pm »

I think I won. Now I can retire and never play this fort again, yay

For those curious, Zagod is a dwarven god of chaos. Seemed appropriate.
Got any slade arties too?
I want to believe

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48844 on: November 23, 2016, 03:22:31 pm »

I hadn't thought about that yet, but I suppose I could give it a shot. Something like a slade crown would be positively filthy :)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48845 on: November 23, 2016, 05:22:59 pm »

Two migrants arrived at the fortress. The Glazer got in a fight with the Miller, his wife. He punched her. Two nearby dwarves joined in with the Miller and they punched the Glazer, a lot. He didn't even make it to the hospital. I like to imagine the conversation started something like "Why did you want to come here?"
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48846 on: November 23, 2016, 07:50:20 pm »

I'm tempered to use dfhack to clean those up.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48847 on: November 23, 2016, 08:00:44 pm »

Just deconstruct and reconstruct the floor?

Fox Mulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48848 on: November 23, 2016, 08:01:02 pm »

I hadn't thought about that yet, but I suppose I could give it a shot. Something like a slade crown would be positively filthy :)

Hope the wearer doesn't break her neck.
I want to believe

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48849 on: November 23, 2016, 10:43:12 pm »

My fortress has fallen, and fallen hard. Mere months into a promising fortress of 14 dwarves, a massive migrant wave arrives with, at last count, 21 dwarves. And right in the middle, as they wind their way around the end of the river - a werewombat appears. It's a massacre, the wombat brutalizing dwarves left and right. He kills just one macedwarf, but I forget to check for bites, and next full moon, sure enough, before I've even finished producing cloth for the hospital ... six of them appear. Oooops. Crap, here we go. Twenty-four dead dwarves later, there are 11 left. Two of them definite weredwarves (two lived, others tore each other apart), four more "resting" and almost certainly going to turn. Any caravan that ever appears is going to return news of a battlefield, a horrific war fought against some terrible opponent that left all dwarves but five dead upon the ground. One of them was not, in fact, a werewombat; the poor fishery worker has died now, but the four werewombats survive (one badly injured after transforming back). After the last turning, this was.

And now they have turned once more, killing that fishery worker. Seven survivors left, I'm going to wall the werewombats into an entry hall and reclaim the fortress around them with migrants, and I'm gonna just have to work without the original fortress inhabitants. A terrible blow, but far worse is the loss of everything built around them, and the fact that my entire fortress has, those parts not destroyed, been covered in blood, gore, and miasma.
AND THEY'RE STILL STRANGLING THE PUPPIES!

Time to continue attempting to cajole and FORCE THOSE DANG DWARVES into that entrance hall.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48850 on: November 23, 2016, 10:50:37 pm »

AND THEY'RE STILL STRANGLING THE PUPPIES!
I like how this is both an afterthought, and the least of your problems, lol.  On a somewhat related note, can somebody tell me if the following Dwarf requires quarantine? ;
He actually recovered, and has now been stationed inside the airlock which is keeping my vampire contained.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48851 on: November 24, 2016, 01:27:05 am »

I believe it's only bites that break skin, and shaking doesn't count. He's fine.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:18:28 am by ☼Another☼ »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48852 on: November 24, 2016, 02:47:58 am »

There are quite a few stressed dorfs. One of them threw a tantrum and got his head cut off by a swordmaster (never mess with a warrior).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48853 on: November 24, 2016, 07:10:34 am »

@Starwars: sounds you have challenges. Well, interesting life.

Hope the wearer doesn't break her neck.
If that's a worry, could go for slade earring - would still weight 6 urists, though, which is only instance of earring weighting more than <1 Urist.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48854 on: November 24, 2016, 09:49:53 am »

So far it seems the embark screen was lying about "deep metals", as exploratory mining has found none whatsoever. That leaves us stuck with tetrahedrite plus whatever we can import.

What our miners did find was relatively accessible magma, which will be handy. I have a dream... of integrated magma and water plumbing running through the whole fortress... every jail cell and hospital ward fitted with a "Magma Purge" lever...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.
Pages: 1 ... 3255 3256 [3257] 3258 3259 ... 3842