Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3253 3254 [3255] 3256 3257 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121786 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48810 on: November 17, 2016, 09:40:26 pm »

A woodworker is running naked stark raving mad around the bed chambers and everyone else is starving

Ah, situation normal then. Good show.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #48811 on: November 17, 2016, 11:45:46 pm »

"Now we will approach a dwarf's natural habitat, the fortress. Currently,
A woodworker is running naked stark raving mad around the bed chambers and everyone else is starving
This is perfectly normal as the fortress reaches the end of its lifespan."
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48812 on: November 18, 2016, 12:31:55 am »

::)
 The largest siege has only 30 goblins.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48813 on: November 18, 2016, 02:12:14 am »

Zombie ravens can take on the HFS, and win.

Zombie ravens are bad news.

I'm not sure about that anymore since zombies in general were nerfed few versions ago. In my current fort, after initial encounters, I now consider it safe to send civilians outside when there are only zombie ravens about. Herbalists just punch them off the sky and continue working.

Zombie capybaras, though... hooo boy. You have never felt true terror until you've watched your Legendary Weaponsmith being nibbled to death by pudgy oversized guinea pigs.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:33:17 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48814 on: November 18, 2016, 06:13:12 am »

Started my first new fort since way back before DF2014 came out. It's going alright so far, initial excavations to keep my dwarves alive and fed have been completed, and I'm currently laying the foundations for this fort's centrepiece/megaproject - a giant stately-home style building inspired by the Palace of Caserta. Since this isn't a design which really lends itself to natural defence, any suggestions on securing the fort from uninvited guests are welcome. At the moment I'm thinking of putting a combined ditch/wall around the edge of the grounds, but I'm concerned that creatures can climb these now...

I like how the outpost liaison now brings you news of what's going on in the word. Oddly though, most of the nobles in my civ are goblins, including the queen. If any of them turn up around here there may have to be some unfortunate accidents.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48815 on: November 18, 2016, 09:19:13 am »

This is on my netbook copy of DF, and so, things take quite some time to accomplish. A season passes in about 1.5 hrs. 

With the onset of summer, a clothesmaker claims a workshop, and despite bringing supplies of one of each type of cloth, he wants ONLY silk.  *sighs*  Since I'm down to one miner (the other lies in the bottom of the moat forever), getting to the caverns will take some time.  Dig, baby, dig! 

*almost 1.5 hrs later*

Ok, well, he's managed to dig all the way to semi-molton rock without finding caverns 1, 2 or 3, and neither has he found the magma sea.  o_O  This is the first time this has ever happened to me.  The clothesmaker has long since fallen into a bleak depression he will never recover from, and wandered off.  Oh well.  While we're down here though, let's figure out where the sea is, and map out our forges.  Seems to be a good thing to do as summer draws to a close.  There we go, almost done, almost done... almost ....

*CORE DUMP* *GAME CLOSES*

...... *facepalm*

I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48816 on: November 18, 2016, 01:20:17 pm »

@Player111444: They mayor can still order deaths while isolated, though.

@Libash: You know, I've started to consider keas an enemy worth sealing up the fort for if I can't be brothered to slaughter them all.

@Pirate: Make masterwork bridge, link masterwork steel or native gold mechanisms until room is royal.

@Staalo: Yeah, books make for makeshift weapons. Don't think anybody has written anything on their relative strength, yet, though.

Agreed on zombies being a letdown - for butchery as well, I see between 2,1% and 7,8% size increase for drowned wagon-pullers.

@Imperium: For large scale areas, military works best.

Alternatively, two rings: cage traps, then floodgates. Deals with anything short of a titan, for which you can have private alcove.

@oldmansutton: You're likely to avoid caverns/sea if you dig down in the corners of 48x48 squares.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48817 on: November 18, 2016, 04:35:42 pm »

You're likely to avoid caverns/sea if you dig down in the corners of 48x48 squares.

I'm on a 2x2 embark, not too far off the middle.  I actually don't mind that I made it down all that way unimpeded, normally the caverns ruin my carefully planned out fort (and since I'm on 43.05, dfhack will have to wait).  An insane clothesmaker is a small price to pay.  It's the stinking game crash after ALMOST a full season of play on a slow machine, and knowing I get to do it all over again that really hurts.  I think I'll move this save to my desktop and zoom through it over the weekend.  It's just nice to have something to play when on my lunch hour at work.  :)
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48818 on: November 19, 2016, 08:06:11 am »

You're likely to avoid caverns/sea if you dig down in the corners of 48x48 squares.

I'm on a 2x2 embark, not too far off the middle.  I actually don't mind that I made it down all that way unimpeded, normally the caverns ruin my carefully planned out fort (and since I'm on 43.05, dfhack will have to wait).  An insane clothesmaker is a small price to pay.  It's the stinking game crash after ALMOST a full season of play on a slow machine, and knowing I get to do it all over again that really hurts.  I think I'll move this save to my desktop and zoom through it over the weekend.  It's just nice to have something to play when on my lunch hour at work.  :)
i had crashes due to TWBT multilevel and now when i accomplished something, i use [ctrl]+[alt]+ to do a save and keep playing.

@Pirate: Make masterwork bridge, link masterwork steel or native gold mechanisms until room is royal.
i just made all furniture (except the bed) from Gold or Rose Gold and added an artifact statue to one of the rooms and voilá everything's royal now :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48819 on: November 19, 2016, 08:53:05 am »

Just FYI, there is an alpha out. I'm using it myself.

Haven't had much crashes related to it I believe, though I've reported what I've had and backed up every second time I've saved. More of a missing features thing, currently.

@Pirate: Heh, don't use TWBT myself currently, haven't really evaluate how it changes rampway fort designs. But yeah, rose gold, gold, black bronze, all the pretty stuff :) Use them just for the colors, myself :)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48820 on: November 19, 2016, 08:56:22 am »

I decided to resolve my defensive concerns the old-fashioned way, with a 2z-deep ditch around most of the map, and a 2z-high wall made of stone blocks behind that. My dwarves are currently engaged in filling the ditch with menacing wooden spikes - not sure how effective they'll be but they're better than nothing, and we have absurd quantities of wood after clearing away the trees growing nearby. Good job I started on this - we've had a couple of goblin snatcher raids which means sieges are likely to be a problem one day.

I'm also weighing up the pros and cons of filling the ditch with water (which can be easily done from a nearby brook). Naturally magma would be the best option but we aren't likely to have that any time soon...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48821 on: November 19, 2016, 10:43:55 am »

New fort, 43.05. First one, after two dead adventurers in the world. 300 yrs plus of history.
The fort had it all, minus Terrifying biomes. Its settings are "Calm", but there's a Tower, Goblins, Elves (we are at war with them, FYI), and Humans within reach. And there were "Shallow Metals", "Deep Metals", and "Flux". Plus an aquifer.

Well, the aquifer was a pain in the rear. 9 layers down, we hit the caverns. Going through a rock pillar in them, we emerge beneath them, and begin the search for our shallow metals.

Idiotic embark finder found GALENA and NATIVE GOLD. I need WEAPONS GRADE STUFF.
So we keep going, hoping beyond hope there are actually more shallow metals. No luck, and I've dug massive exploratory setups around those blasted granite layers for cassiterite or tetrahedrite.

But we hit layer 2; going around is a joke, and soon we're mining beneath it in Gabbro and Diorite, which aren't the best options. No iron ores or even regions where iron could spawn yet, though. I'm gonna have to go to the northwest corner (dangit) and try under the lake (dangit) for other layers of stones (daaangggiitttt). But I have found - TETRAHEDRITE. Dangit. Usually I can't get rid of the stuff quick enough, but now, it's a lifesaver. Without iron, the best I'm going to get is bronze equipment, and that's only if one of those figurative "Deep Metals" is Cassiterite, and there are 3, cause Tetrahedrite is way on down there. At magma levels - hitting warm stone all over the place. So, magma forges going up. Eventually.

I do have flux though, Marble, and Quartzite is magma safe, so we're set on that. Unfortunately, I've got zombies barricading the surface. Dang am I glad I put those hatch covers in so early, they're saving my life from these blasted goblin corpses. I'm gonna need to pump magma up to deal with them, if I burn the grasses off this place (it is a grassland, after all) it might just take them with it. Because copper is NOT what I consider real weapons-grade equipment, because these blasted goblins have iron equipment.

Anyways, I'm working on a fortress split into two. The upper levels, and the lower levels. The upper levels will probably continue to contain jewelry setups, and some stone storage (not quartzite though). This is for caravan trading. Also, may eventually and probably will contain a tavern. Temples will go in the undercity, where everything happens. Farms will use water from the caverns, which will then be recycled into a permanent waterfall possibly driven by a Dwarven Water Reactor, falling through both residential levels (Lvl1: Dormitory; Lvl2: Bedrooms for current dwarves, nobles, legendaries, and militia, to keep them all happy), the farms of course, and the dining room. The well will draw off the reservoir at the bottom of this (dining room is going to make use of this waterfall as a shower setup, in a 2x2 entrance location) through a pump to clean it. All this after carefully flooding the farm setup, and carefully avoiding the flooding of the woodworking/animal pen layer beneath, which also contains kitchens, butchery and tannery. Beneath that will be the stoneworking layer; beneath that, the mines (left side of central staircase), and the metalsmithing area (right side), using strictly magma equipment, given that I've already hit it.
Now I've just gotta figure out how to do this right.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48822 on: November 19, 2016, 12:24:04 pm »

Shame you didnt hit tetrahydrite. That IS weapons grade. (Silver hammers and maces! Yeah baby!)

Oh well, usually with Galena and Gold, you find other coinage type metals, like tetrahydrite, and copper.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48823 on: November 19, 2016, 02:07:10 pm »

Mine goblinite, melt their iron gear down, use flux/magma forges to make steel, use steel to kill more goblins.

Also as the other guy said, the silver from your tetrahedrite makes excellent hammers. The best possible, unless you get lucky and end up with an artifact lead/gold/platinum hammer.

Error 404

• Bay Watcher
  • This account cannot be found
    • View Profile
« Reply #48824 on: November 19, 2016, 07:02:11 pm »

I found Adamantite after my miner broke warm stone without orders to do so (Luckily he got vaporized along with the other 5 with him ::) ) and the lava lake got a expansion.

alas my fort (and my save for that manner) went down apon attempting to run stonesense  :'(
*Error 404 is struck by a Strange Mood*

*Error 404 has claimed a NASA Supercomputer*
Pages: 1 ... 3253 3254 [3255] 3256 3257 ... 3842