Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3251 3252 [3253] 3254 3255 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121930 times)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48780 on: November 13, 2016, 06:18:41 am »

Everything's going well in Channelsacks (not a glorious name for the mountainhomes, but who cares). We're at 123 dwarves now and most are happy, despite living above ground for over 6 years. The beginning was a bit rough, but now everybody has their own 3x3 room and enough drinks and masterwork meals to forget the death of their pets and friends. Even the queen is content with her rooms full of silver statues and only demands a few mugs to be made once in a while.
The only digging is being done to get more stones for building and to get to the great magma sea to power the forges. There are enough trees to power a metalworking industry for decades, but magma is the simpler and more dwarfy way and I don't want to annoy the elves too much right now. After all, they brought a pair of black bears in the fort's second year so we don't have to rely on dogs for meat and bones anymore. We also have a giant grizzly bear, giant cougar, giant wolf and giant leopard, but no breeding pairs yet. If the bring more of those, I might completely forget about killing them all for fun.

Sadly, we lost a Ral, a new recruit who went berserk, because there was not enough raw green glass for a strange mood. We even robbed a caravan that took to long to unload, but it was still not enough. On the positive side, his first and nearest target was the captain of the guard, an elite soldier with a silver war hammer and an attitude, who was rather unimpressed by the +black bear bone bolt+ flying past him. The rest of the military (30 part-time militia plus 10 fortress guards, all experts with their weapons and equipped with layered steel armor) was less than 15 tiles away, but couldn't even come close to the berserk dwarf before the captain smashed his legs and head (in that order) to a pulp. Just don't mess with the guard, okay? I think, I'll start a proper dwarven justice system and make that guy a hammerer. Could be !!interesting!!

[edit:]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 07:13:57 am by moki »
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48781 on: November 13, 2016, 12:42:00 pm »

I'm living in the dwarfiest of dwarfy locations. A nice volcano surrounded by flatlands. I use the edges to position marksdwarfs but whenever there is something to shoot at all the pesky trees get in the way.

I thought lets burn it down. Dug a tunnel with floodgates in to the lava. Nice lets burn all the trees. Wait way are the floodgates floating away... My guess will be non magma safe mechanism.

Second problem. The magma didnt set fire to the grass? Didnt expect that. Wait now that I cant close the flow how will I prevent the lava from overflowing the map and lagging me to pieces? Ok, quick lets contain the problem! Magma safe stones, che...  Use up a large chunk of my iron building walls. Had to run close to the lava and dig a few channels to buy some time.

In the end I did find a way to start a fire. I placed a 1x1 drink stockpile in the lavas path. But the trees are left alive. Sigh all that work and it didn't even work. A few good dwarfs with good stats lost to lava, fire and other perils when dealing with this problem.

I thing my Baron got in to a fight with some venomous snakes because he is in the Hospital with large parts of his body rotting away.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #48782 on: November 13, 2016, 12:56:17 pm »

Possibly the most deadly fort ever. We are currently draining the volcano and we live in a evil glacier thats cold enough to kill, with some mountains to spare. the volcano seemingly 'erupted' and made a hot mess of the glacier, too.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48783 on: November 13, 2016, 05:59:13 pm »

Wait way are the floodgates floating away...
This made me laugh way too hard.  I'm picturing the group of masons all standing around, shaking hands at a job well done, then watching as their magma-safe floodgates are carried away, bobbing gently on the flowing lava.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48784 on: November 14, 2016, 07:54:33 pm »

Just now I got an uninvited guest made of black bronze, Anan Shegumzekrim (Anan Droolsnot). The main problem is that the only squad I have trained right now is macedwarves. So I set up a few farmers to train and quarantined the cavern said guest was visiting. Turns out I have a mass pitting room just above a magma tube in this cavern, and I forgot to set the hatches to forbidden. Obviously Anan paths its way into that room, sits on a hatch for a while, then destroys it... falling down into the magma tube below said room.

Oh, I wish I had popcorn right now because I'm enjoying watching this guy melt  :D

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48785 on: November 15, 2016, 01:21:17 am »

Strike the ear... oh shit

Embark location: 244, ground level: 149
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48786 on: November 15, 2016, 01:35:24 am »

Haven't seen a dwarven paradrop that crazy in many a version.  At least you can walk down, right?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48787 on: November 15, 2016, 01:43:42 am »

Yes I can.

I decide to live up there. Maybe make a platform and use hammer traps to knock invaders down.

Player111444

• Bay Watcher
  • I Fight for Nod!! POWER:30 PEACE:35
    • View Profile
« Reply #48788 on: November 16, 2016, 04:46:27 am »

I just got back to playing dwarf fortress.

Got an wereopossum who bit my freshly conscripted newest speardwarf recruit two times.

Once in the right lower leg, and it shook the par lad's leg like an hunting dog huntin' a wabbit, bending the poor dwarf's right hip bone.

Then it bit his head very hard, very very hard...

Then the beast died after being ganked by my angry military dwarven mob.

then after that i trapped the unconscious dwarf and the dead wereopossum in a box. Waiting for the dorf to bleed out to death.

I'm i doing something wrong?
It's been a long time old friend.

Not a fan of CnC Rivals.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48789 on: November 16, 2016, 05:14:34 am »

No, that just about covers it.

@Libash: Hehehe. Dwarven wagon-cannon :p

Player111444

• Bay Watcher
  • I Fight for Nod!! POWER:30 PEACE:35
    • View Profile
« Reply #48790 on: November 16, 2016, 05:37:03 am »

Oh never mind i think i did the right thing, trapping that taffer inside that box...

Now i have a wereopossum-dorf in a box.

For some reason now his wounds and his thirst fully recovered.

When he gets thirsty. he becomes a wereopossum for a few minutes than poofs back into a regular dorf.

Now i don't know what do about the were-dorf in a box now.

should i throw a pick axe inside and tell him to dig down to the caverns or build a small quarters away from by regular fortress with no way in?
It's been a long time old friend.

Not a fan of CnC Rivals.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48791 on: November 16, 2016, 06:46:27 am »

Strike the ear... oh shit

Embark location: 244, ground level: 149
i never found such mountains. the steepest cliff was two zlevels. :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #48792 on: November 16, 2016, 01:51:48 pm »

Oh never mind i think i did the right thing, trapping that taffer inside that box...

Now i have a wereopossum-dorf in a box.

For some reason now his wounds and his thirst fully recovered.
Every time a werecreature transforms, it heals all wounds (including thirst and hunger.) As for what to do with it, I sometimes make an arena and dump prisoners in there to have fun. Another time I timed the transformation, and threw Dwarves in with him to make it a werebeast fortress.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48793 on: November 16, 2016, 02:53:28 pm »

There is a mostly functional bleeding edge alpha for current release.

im playing with dfhack and the game randomly crashes a lot, ive noticed that it mainly crashes when i do v-i-g (switching from viewing a dwarfs inventory to viewing their general information) but its also crashed for seemingly no reason.

so yeah if you use dfhack you should save frequently to avoid major losses
What OS and architecture (32/64-bit) are you using? Does ":lua ~df.global.ui_unit_view_mode" work or crash? It seems to work for me on OS X, but it's possible that that address could be wrong somewhere else (although I don't see anything obviously wrong with the other addresses).

The purpose of the alpha build is so people test and report things like this. If you don't report them, we will not know about them, we will not fix them, and the "stable" release will crash in exactly the same way. (This is the first time I've checked this thread since June 27, 2014, so it's lucky that I noticed this.)

Anyway, I mainly use the UI improvements too. Also quicksave, which I particularly recommend when you're worried about crashes (although you should probably test it before you've done anything important, in case it crashes too).

oh hey sorry, i almost never check this thread. i actually came back here looking for the link to dfhack after i uninstalled it and the next sentence happend

i had simply assumed that it was dfhack making the game crash, so i removed it and the crashes continued. its a rather large embark (8x8 i think) so its probably the sheer size causing the crash. i can send you the save if you would like so you can check if its just the size
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48794 on: November 16, 2016, 03:05:11 pm »

Huh, that's weird. Thanks for reporting back, though - sorry to hear that. I'd probably have trouble loading a save that large, though. If you can narrow down a cause in vanilla DF, it would be good to report it on Mantis.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 3251 3252 [3253] 3254 3255 ... 3842