Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3250 3251 [3252] 3253 3254 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122098 times)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48765 on: November 06, 2016, 03:23:39 am »

Don't get greedy with the caster. Only one level at a time.

I find that plumbing in a set amount of magma first, then dumping water on top, has the best results.

Pockets of unreacted water are less harmful to dwarves.

This would be a fine way to approach the problem, if only i was not working in the magma sea. At any rate the problem was i had not channeled out some of the tiles which water needed to flow into to turn the magma in the first layer of magma sea into obsidian, which left some magma pockets.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48766 on: November 06, 2016, 01:36:20 pm »

My beach fortress has been progressing at a steady pace.  Being near the beach, of course the Hill Titan who arrived in the Summer of year 2 was made of coral, and used webs :(  I did not realize that my surface project had breached a mining tunnel; and now I'm left with 11 Dwarves, 4 children, and a Titan corpse that I can't even cook.

Fox Mulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48767 on: November 06, 2016, 02:09:26 pm »

So I've decided to make my expedition leader a legend of his world (too bad my engraver is not yet qualified enough due to the lack of stone above the aquifier):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I guess that's a bit too much, but I simply cannot resist monstergirls.
Anyone knows if this fine art can be randomly depicted on artifacts?

P.S. Since this forum is that of hardcore DF fans, I definitely have to specify that "melting" is figural in this case.
P.P.S. Wish I could draw this. Some XXX manga.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:25:14 pm by Fox Mulder »
I want to believe

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48768 on: November 07, 2016, 07:37:13 pm »

Doing test embarks with volcanism variances on picked adamantine/river merge/3 biome + 1-5 airshears 1x1 embark.

See fly men corpse pack 15 tiles from wagon. Just play now, no military or anything...

"Lets see how badly they get slaughtered."

Unpause

Badly. They were just chilling there, walking slovenly onto map and dwarves come and kick their limbs off, only showing bruises and 1 red wound for that. Less than 1 page of combat per fly.

Immediately, next undead is spawned after the last one dies, this one Giant Chamelon Corpse 10 tiles from them. Walking leisurely, showing no fear...murderdwarves go murder the poor big lizard.

This....I have seen zombies behaving appropriately for their moniker of "Opposed to life".

But really, I think maybe the dwarves started it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48769 on: November 07, 2016, 10:36:29 pm »

Haven't played in a while (year? Two years? More?). I was delighted that the latest download on Mac just... runs. Great. :D Usually my forays into this game start with about a week of messing about trying to get the game to function at all.

I've been trying to relearn how to breach multilevel aquifers like I used to (my deepest successful was... 15 levels? I think? Something like that. I did love the 13 level one I breached, which had about 10 layers of marble below it, and iron ore below that. Why is there always so much iron-rich ore in aquifer areas?) but this time I'm totally failing. Water flows differently now. But waterwheel batteries are more efficient. I've only drowned two dorfs, and I'm learning fast.

Most fascinating: The elves just traded me a whole heap of forgotten-beast-silk clothing. I wonder what's been happening in their neck of the woods recently? I'm busy with waterworks, so my dwarves haven't the time or the skills currently to make their own clothing. Forgotten beast silk kaftans and forgotten beast silk loincloths seem to work well in the half-flooded levels where we are pulling iron-rich ore out of the aquifer. I've now got someone to set up a smelter and a smithy, and if that silk-spewing forgotten beast comes this way, we will skewer it with steel spears and hack it to pieces with steel axes.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48770 on: November 09, 2016, 11:11:37 am »

The past 2 weeks.

region 1. A grand plan for above ground city planning commences.

This seems to work, but then fails.
I mean I want above ground fortress, but fail to not dig for stones.
And then split jobs to doing food, and forge.
Then it all gets messed up when digging for the garbage chute 5z below the surface where I found steel making ores.
My small population of 12 wants it all done: stone buildings, tree clearing, steel making, and food & drink for the tavern.

region 2. A self-imposed technology.  Pick one ability to construct a workshop at the start of the game, and for each successful caravan trade. 

Started with a Carpenter's shop; It made sense that the default embark comes with rope, so I can make a well sooner when I can't make a Brewery until Autumn.

Wow, I can actually build above ground with all these logs, that I even make 7 temples for my civ's deities.  I'm already constructing 2 to 3 story tall buildings in anticipation to house my next tech.

A snag.  A strange mood--a metal smith?  I change the rule to be allowed to build the mood building! Yeah, a Metalsmith's Forge.  Still usedless without Wood Furnace or Smelter--but if I can trade for coal and bar. 

But what about magma forge? Can I assume with magma sea discovered, this opens up Magma Tech, or have Metalsmith's Forge pre-requisite to Magma Forge?  but not Magma Smelters?  Hmmm...

region 3. Checklist.  This was inspired about a bay12 post on checklist after embarking.

Basically, I made plans on paper while away from the computer, so I have a step by step "to do".
I went for an anvil, ores, 1 pick, 1 axe, 1 cat embark: and with jump start of some key skills.
I got 2 sets of bronze armor with broze battle axes, ready to have 2 go full time training when necro siege happen in summer.
killed 9 undead, but no necro.  That was fun.

region 4. Checklist v2.

Similar to region 3; but with aquifer as I want flat dessert with water source to play with. 
Had 2 tower neighbors this time, and summer necro siege got my 2 miliia dwarfs working great, killed 1 necro and 7 undead, with 1 undead leaving map.
Had a possession mood, gained an artifact copper pick.

Had a crash, was using 43.05 too. wtf!

region 5. LNP v43.03  Rocky Wasteland, flat, with aquifer. Tower x2

Just another exercise to making 40 bronze bars and making 2 sets of militia gear.
A nice 3 layer aquifer, but breached by summer. No time to search for magma so make stones to build above fort and get ready for autumn.  Making extra bronze discs to trade.

region 6. Find Magma and Make Green Glass Fort.

Simple idea. 2 militia, 2 miners who will be glassmakers.  3 left over for everything else.

I got side tracked into bringing 3 stones liked by each of the 7 founders: Tetrahedrite, Brimstone, Diorite, Slate and Orthoclase.  That's only 5; well the other 2 likes Copper and Sterling Silver.  Made Door, Chest, and Cabinet for each; they have to settle for willow beds.

Doing the specific furniture is such a distraction that the surface does not have any decent walls / choke point yet, but below the aquifer breach, I have new migrants focused on smoothing stone walls.

Then wait, I have not done a pump stack through an aquifer yet... a puzzle to solve.

region 7. v43.03 History Spin.

export legends in a small world, short history, High others, Max minerals.

Temperate Sand Dessert. 4x4 embark with 3 biomes of 2 Terrifying and 1 Haunted.

Undead ravens from day 1.  Manage to secure z-2 only; there's aquifer. 
We're on re-animating.  And there are 2 clouds forming from different biome areas, dunno what cloud does yet. 

Hammer commander
Farmer Axe
Brewer Carp Mech
Cook Axe Mason
Doctor Mace
Miner Mayor
Miner Admin

12 bronze set smelting = 48 bars, and 2 silver ores = 8 bars later; they are equipped.
Dumping skins and heads will be an issue.
2 biomes with aquifer, and found solid rock to dig down; made garbage chute.
2 pack horses are starving by summer; so butchering commences;
On the 2nd tanning hide, head skin reanimates which got shredded into 3 pieces.  2 got tanned; the other was dumped.

No underground passage dug yet, so some migrants showed up and made it inside fine. 
Yak Calf was with them; later calf was starving so butcher resulted in unkillable head/skin/hair.
Used exterminate undead.  Moving on.

Slow going, made 5 of the migrants into miners to dig trade depot and 7 wide passage to the north edge of map.
This one looks worthwhile continuing, breached north surface opening trade depot before summer ends.
End up using reveal map so I can see where the aquifers are; Wow, a mess.  Shallow 1 to 2z aquifers, but patches of aquifer will be touched in the west and south passage; east can be avoided.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48771 on: November 09, 2016, 01:03:17 pm »

It's time to strike the earth! Ok, test embark, I kid, I kid, just want to see the pretty clouds, but...

*channels*

Aquifer, right beneath the surface? What odds!

Also convenient, currently. Just wanted a water source. Now, give everyone plant gathering, seal it up and plant a zone and they'll live a really long time :p

Fox Mulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48772 on: November 10, 2016, 05:39:58 am »

Right now trying to postpone the military as much as possible and see if I can conquer the HFS by turning my dorfs into necros using this new library feature. Not much value in the fortress (but a legendary Carpenter as a result) due to the (recently breached) aquifer so no sieges yet, but this will soon change as stonecrafter has just entered a strange mood and grabbed three chunks of native platinum, among other junk. Nearly missed a vamp in the last migrant wave, he should make a good meat industry worker later. Herbalists are OP as hell in filling the food stocks - dorfs are pleased by the variety of the booze.

Edit: the native platinum artifact helped. Necro siege arrived with the spring.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:42:51 pm by Fox Mulder »
I want to believe

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48773 on: November 10, 2016, 05:14:49 pm »

Decided to build a surface fort for once. Went to see what stone we could use for the job, when low and behold. Obsidian!

7 full layers of delicious obsidian, this will make a nice town.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #48774 on: November 10, 2016, 06:24:52 pm »

Decided to build a surface fort for once. Went to see what stone we could use for the job, when low and behold. Obsidian!

7 full layers of delicious obsidian, this will make a nice town.

It's gonna look like a bunch of alcoholic liches are unliving there.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48775 on: November 10, 2016, 07:23:36 pm »

very slow progress on the "libroubliette" project, and megatavern project.

ideal embark location affords near endless food and booze with minimal oversight.
slow play hardware limits population to 30. construction painfully slow.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48776 on: November 11, 2016, 02:48:20 am »

Locked my dragon in a cage in a room which i connected to the untouched first cavern layer, which was untouched due to web-spewing forgotten beast made of glass. Once i had closed the room off i unleashed the dragon, which killed proceeded to melt the forgotten beast. I then reopened the room(there was a hallway which allowed the dwarf doing the deconstructing to survive), and sent in my military, who after six and a half years, finally avenged their comrades who fell in the dragons first assault. It was a quick and easy battle, with no losses on my part.

And so now the rich gold veins of the first cavern are ripe for the taking!

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48777 on: November 11, 2016, 06:13:19 am »

Locked my dragon in a cage in a room which i connected to the untouched first cavern layer, which was untouched due to web-spewing forgotten beast made of glass. Once i had closed the room off i unleashed the dragon, which killed proceeded to melt the forgotten beast. I then reopened the room(there was a hallway which allowed the dwarf doing the deconstructing to survive), and sent in my military, who after six and a half years, finally avenged their comrades who fell in the dragons first assault. It was a quick and easy battle, with no losses on my part.

And so now the rich gold veins of the first cavern are ripe for the taking!

I'd have found a way to re-use the dragon. I've developed the habit of trapping a forgotten beast inside a "sally port", and the unleash it against the ones that show up later. Engraving everything with images of FBs beating the shit from each other is really fun.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48778 on: November 12, 2016, 08:01:55 pm »

You should've trained the dragon and used it to breed an entire fully tame army of them. Then killed it later.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48779 on: November 12, 2016, 08:29:51 pm »

Alas, i only had one dragon. Really, in retrospect i properly should not have trained the dragon, as if i had not trained it my dwarfs would have happily butchered it after it was killed, rather than just leaving it to rot on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 3250 3251 [3252] 3253 3254 ... 3842