Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3248 3249 [3250] 3251 3252 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122282 times)

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48735 on: October 31, 2016, 02:27:41 pm »

I am cutting down every tree I can see on the map, and now it seems fps has increased a bit, or perhaps it is just my imagination?

Leaves falling and growing fruit (not to mention it rotting/hanging around as cluttering floor stuff for ages) does not help FPS any more than calculating changes like having to grow all the trees and have them grow 1 z level or 2 z levels taller each milestone birthday (most 4x4 trunked trees are 50+ to 100+ years old, high woods particularly in arena mode take a long time). Process all those logs into goods and ash or quantum stockpile the lot i say, phooey with elves, and when you get bored/tired/run out of trees on the surface, cut all the ones down underground too.

Good reason to start in a desert. Though the flames engulfing my caverns were not by design. Probably not helping FPS issues either.

As an addendum to my prior goblin-elf attack post, I found some body parts of one of the elves. On a 5 urists-high wall, behind fortifications. About 20 tiles away from where most of the body was. Maybe 25 from the furthest chunk.

Someone hit a homerun using an elf-ball. 

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48736 on: October 31, 2016, 08:25:00 pm »

I decided to indulge a little playtime, b/c one can only job-hunt for so many hours a day (plus I got a few strong leads, so yay).  Having gotten the basic necessities handled, I'm just settling in (Summer of year 2) to begin metal smithing and construction of a surface bunker, when this arrives;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There were 2 Necromancers with the group originally, but by the time I had created a Burrow & found my screenshot software, they had already fled.  Anyways, hoping to see some zombie on unicorn action, I started looking around, and found this oddity at the map-edge where they showed up;

A closer inspection revealed these tiles to be massive piles of equipment;
Apparently, the Hungry Head zombies arrived full armed and armored, then immediately dropped all of their gear, since they lack the ability appendages needed to actually use arms & armor ::)  Thus far, they are content to simply fly around the corner where they entered.  They haven't even come near my completely exposed sheep pasture.  The front doors are locked tight, and I walled-off the entrance tunnel just in case.  Hopefully they don't loiter more than a season or two.

Edit: Nevermind :(
I suppose it was inevitable.  This is gonna be a long siege.  On the bright side, one of the HHs has started to wrestle with a unicorn.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:50:13 pm by Immortal-D »

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48737 on: October 31, 2016, 08:54:57 pm »

a naked dwarf armed with only a silver mace killed 4 zombies, looted their armor, and killed the last one by herself.

http://imgur.com/a/CFsMv

unfortunatly i could only find two of the battle reports
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48738 on: October 31, 2016, 08:57:40 pm »

Suggest capitalizing on recent calm to restore your lost booze.  Mass assign herbalists, and dedignate gather plants over a good chunk near your entrance. Brew booze from resulting surface crops.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48739 on: October 31, 2016, 08:59:31 pm »

Suggest capitalizing on recent calm to restore your lost booze.  Mass assign herbalists, and dedignate gather plants over a good chunk near your entrance. Brew booze from resulting surface crops.

been doing that for food till the zombies showed up.

yeah i think ive had enough excitement for today.

im saving and logging off

night
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48740 on: October 31, 2016, 09:37:37 pm »

I cheated in so much steel using Dfhack I have so much I don't know what to do with all of it..

Other than... you know....

Urist McMyAxe has created a masterpiece: Steel battleaxe
Urist McMyAxe has created a masterpiece: Steel battleaxe
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48741 on: November 01, 2016, 01:28:32 am »

@Immortal-D: Well that's unique.

...1 cavern world, I take it?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48742 on: November 01, 2016, 09:16:00 am »

@Immortal-D: Well that's unique.

...1 cavern world, I take it?
The usual 3 caverns.  I embarked in a Joyous Prairie that just happened to be in range of a Tower :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48743 on: November 01, 2016, 09:23:06 am »

Hm. Where the hell did the necromancer get them?

Perhaps let them kill some especially weak pets (I think dogs would kill them? They're barely larger than cats) so that one of them will be named, then save, make a backup, retire and track him down in legends mode.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48744 on: November 01, 2016, 10:59:45 am »

Hm. Where the hell did the necromancer get them?

Perhaps let them kill some especially weak pets (I think dogs would kill them? They're barely larger than cats) so that one of them will be named, then save, make a backup, retire and track him down in legends mode.

There's a bug with animal populations appearing on the surface, which might be related as to how they got there (being a layer 2+ creature, unless they were a [SCOUT] domestic animal): http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7216

My personal guess is that looking at the humanoid BP, the game thought it was a human with wing arm appendages and tried to outfit it out of the supplies under the tower/related to the faction the secret learning necro hails from, if its screwy in being both alliegant to 1 faction but a necro at the same time. Recently toady patched a bug that made units equip up properly, it must have tried to put the template on it and failed.

That's actually super good evidence for these bug reports, do you have the save ready to submit on dwarfdepot?

> (Wildlife have site ethics) (I believe this is related to a wide range of bugs, this one included for choosing hungry heads as recruits because they are 'site units') - http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10059
> (Alligator recruits) (Your hungry heads are macemen units despite not having any hands, interesting choice by the game) - http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6708

Freelance necromancy for dummies:
Scholar becomes necro by worshipping some funky gods or invoking a secret one way or another, travels between world destinations while also being a loyal citzen scholar still working, limited time in the tower to do normal things like train lots of apprentices when writing up about necrobooks and your own tower to inflate your portfolio. Im not sure what other kinds of scholar's or visitors do specifically.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48745 on: November 01, 2016, 01:08:43 pm »

Very interesting.  Unfortunately, this world was heavily modded, so I don't think the save is usable.  It also started crashing frequently just after the siege arrived, possibly related to every Dorf & critter constantly flashing '!' (enraged), despite being safely locked inside.  Without DFHack, I was unable to exterminate the HHs to see if that helped.  Sorry folks, I'm afraid this is one mystery left unsolved.

Silverfox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48746 on: November 02, 2016, 03:55:31 am »

Started my first fortress, everything running fine and having my military on the way to be steel-clad, with nothing worse than a couple of kobolds and goblins, no sieges, and one of the founder dwarfs dying after a looong time in the hospital out of dehydration... curse winter, curse noob experience (he fell down by some unlucky multilayer channel project... lesson lerned). Then a bronze colossus appears. Getting one-hitted by my highest ranking axedwarf, alas, not before seriously punching another dwarf half across the screen. Great moment to detect that my newly elected mayor, who is also my best medic, is a vampire, just having killed a peasant in his sleep, while 11 dwarfs were watching.

Sooo... locked her away in time before she could drain what's left of the bloody punching ball. Then forgot about her, until the autumn caravan arrives, including the diplomat from mountainhome. As she still is the mayor, locked and chained in jail, right beside a bed, I sense trouble coming up and install my former leader to the position, resulting in a pissed off diplomat heading home after three steps onto the map. Well, at least the merchants went on.

Did I mention that my vampire is a very romantic female? And the fortress is called Roperomance? When a human caravan offered a silver whip, I really, really couldn't resist, and now she has her own training room, locked and brigded.

Not sure if it is a bug or a new hide-the-vamp feature, but my whip-lashing undead romantic has no kills shown.

Vanilla v0.43.03, graphic enhancements and Dwarf Therapist only.

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48747 on: November 02, 2016, 10:40:30 am »

Just got to see my clumsy 43.05 fortress in Armok Vision for the first time... It's glorious. http://imgur.com/a/L4xjb

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48748 on: November 02, 2016, 07:48:14 pm »

3 more died because beak dogs escaped when they were being thrown into a pit.
I thought it was safe when cages are near the pit. >:(

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48749 on: November 02, 2016, 08:18:13 pm »

Doing science and bug-hunting. Comfort has been put to the side for clean sides and spaces, the meeting room is in the main animal pasture to keep the animals orderly because they are the subject of one such bug and its just convenient. Ducks deliberately chosen help keep the vermin spam down around the pigs which make copious amounts of them, ill harvest eggs later when im further in and set up.

Look at that beautiful efficiency, i have so many logs it doesn't even matter and no aquifer below me all the way to caverns. I need to carry that design over to my goblin forts where i think it'll get much more of a kick.
Pages: 1 ... 3248 3249 [3250] 3251 3252 ... 3842